Starring: Anne Heche, James Tupper, Ethan Peck, Clancy Brown
Directed by: Anthony Leonardi III
Written by: Jonathan W.C Mills
Music by: Nicholas O'Toole and Slash
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 08, 2013

"Let Us Prey"

Film Synopsis:

Wendy (Anne Heche), her husband Dan (James Tupper of “Revenge”) and their kids have just moved to the small town of Stull, Kansas, where Dan is the new pastor. But in this sleepy community of friendly neighbors, a horrific series of occurrences awaits them.

My Take:

This is one serious "slasher". Dude, this movie "rocked". Welcome to the jungle baby...OK now that we got that out of the way--yes, Slash (Guns n' Roses) produced and did work on the movies soundtrack. Cool, yes, but did it help the aptly titled Nothing Left To Fear to be more than a run-of-the-mill limited release horror film? Nope.

The film opens as we meet Wendy (Anne Heche), her husband Dan (James Tupper of “Revenge”) as well as their teenage daughters as they are driving to a new home halfway across the country. Moving from the big city to Stull, Nebraska is a big change, however, when one of your first visuals of the town is a teen slicing the throat of a lamb hanging out the back of his open pick--up, maybe its not the place for ya. Dan is summoned to Stull to be its new Pastor, taking over the pulpit from Pastor Kingsman played by the always great Clancy Brown (The Shawshank Redemption). We come to learn that the family was summoned to be the offering in a satanic ritual and that Stull has an open gate to hell.

A horror movie should be scary. Nothing Left To Fear did not have one moment where I was spooked, scared or even a bit on edge. Not that it didn't try, it just failed with its mash-up of Japanese horror visuals and Children of the Corn (where's Malachi when you need him?). What was good was the family. Heche (whom I think gets sexier with age), Tupper and child actors Jennifer Stone (Wizards Of Waverly Place), and Rebekah Brandes do a great job adding believability to these characters. This helps as things start to get weird in the Stull, but the script never anchored my emotions enough to care. The effects were pretty good, trust me, we have seen far far worse, the direction more than adequate, however, it was far from an original or even good story and it didn't really try to throw a good scare at you until almost an hour in.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for disturbing violent content and some language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Nothing Left To Fear comes to Blu-ray from Anchor Bay featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26.4 mbps and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 1.8mbps

Low average bitrate on the audio aside, Nothing Left To Fear was a competently made film with decent audio design except the level of the family dialogue in the films opening. Ambiance was sufficient in the films surrounds, though we could have used more, especially in a film trying to be creepy. LFE hit low, with a nice and tight sound when used and dynamic range was quite good. The films video had great attributes, however, the whole was not memorable. Colors and flesh-tones ran a bit to the warm side, and this worked in the films sun-drenched daytime's. Dark and evening shots didn't exhibit any noise or crush with black levels keeping a stable inky black. By virtue of how it was filmed, shadow detail was kept to a minimum which did effect the nighttime imaginary. Fine details were apparent and the over-all look was nice even if a bit made-for-TV.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary with Producer/Composer Slash, Composer Nicholas O'Toole and Director Anthony Leornardi III

• (HD) Behind The Scenes

Trailer:

Final Thoughts:

Nothing Left To Fear had a slow burn approach that might have been effective if it lead to scares. It led to cliché and never did it once scare or shock me. Too bad as the acting was all very good, as were the films technical merits. Genre fans might find a viewing worth their time, but due to its lack of special features I really suggest a rental if you don't heed my warnings not to visit Stull, Kansas.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review Systems:

JVC DLA-RS56 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65ZT30 3D 1080p Plasma
Marantz NR1603 Receiver
Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Lee, you need to stand up for yourself and demand some descent movies to review. biggrin.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Exactly!

Otherwise if they don't give you something decent to review, tell em you're walkin......! biggrin.gif

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Exactly!

Otherwise if they don't give you something decent to review, tell em you're walkin......! biggrin.gif

Lee knows better than to rise up against the throne of King Ralph...

If Lee wasn't here, these crap films would never see the light of day. He's reviewed hundreds of these things over the years and I've seen at least two or three of them based on his reviews.

Kingdoms were never meant to have multiple Kings...table scraps from His Highness are better than nothing.

Long live the KING!!!

tongue.gif
post #5 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I, for one, am happy that these films are covered here and am grateful that AVS has two excellent reviewers. As a long-time genrer fan, it can become daunting when one sees a plethora of such films available on Blu and even more via streaming. Many of them sound good, the cover art may seem great, but...

These reviews help separate the wheat from the chaff. I wouldn't want every review to be for the standard studio fare or classic re-release. Don't want to do without them either, but those are covered by everyone. The small. B to Z grade films often are not. So my thanks to both gentlemen. I might still rent this, primartily for Brown and possibly Heche (who, I agree, got better-looking with age) but thanks to Lee, at least now I'll be going in with lower expectations. (Okay, they aren't usually very high to begin with, but you get the gist.)

post #6 of 8 Old 10-16-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Guys, I am happy to do these types of films. For one, I will see the blockbusters regardless, and might miss these smaller b films otherwise.

Ralph can be the king, all is good with the kingdom there...but I am not his queen!! wink.gif
audiofan1 likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Greetings,

No worries Lee you will never be anointed Queen. biggrin.gif

Seriously, Lee's role here has been shaped by the studio he covers (Anchor Bay/Starz) as well as the release rate for titles coming from the major studios that generate an overflow which would preclude me from being able to cover (meaning I would send them on to him to coverage). In some instances he makes requests of titles he would like to cover (the most recent being the Friday the 13th collection) and I have no problem with sending them to him.

His availability and ability to handle a larger load is another factor that comes into play as the pace of his job/family life dictates how quickly he may or may not be able to get a disc and turn it around quickly. The studios I handle see me as their primary outlet for coverage but have no real issue with another writer covering as long as it is handled timely. In some cases time constraints don't allow for me to ship something to Lee with the expectation of a quick turn around for a review.

My plan in taking on another writer was to pass along at least one major studio. At that time I was pretty much receiving EVERY blu-ray from Paramount, Fox, Sony, Warner, Disney and several smaller studios like Magnolia and Anchor Bay. Since then many studios have moved to a system where review product is handled by request. This has slowed down the pace with only certain times of the year being what we would deem very busy.

Lee is a great guy and his contribution to the review forum is a plus for all.

Regards,
audiofan1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 398
^^^^^Well said ! keep up the stellar work guys! kudos to the both of ya! wink.gif
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Nothing Left To Fear Blu Ray Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page