Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French,Spanish
Starring: Will Smith, Jaden Smith, Sophie Okonedo, Zoe Kravitz
Directed by: M. Night Shyamalan
Music by: James Newton Howard
Written by: Gary Whitta, M. Night Shyamalan,
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 8, 2013

"Danger is real. Fear is a choice"

Film Synopsis:

A crash landing leaves Kitai Raige (Jaden Smith) and his legendary father Cypher (Will Smith) stranded on Earth, 1,000 years after cataclysmic events forced humanity's escape. With Cypher injured, Kitai must embark on a treacherous journey to signal for help. They must learn to work together and trust each other, if they want any chance of returning home.

My Take:

One thousand years after cataclysmic events forced humanity's escape from Earth, Nova Prime has become mankind's new home. Legendary General Cypher Raige returns from an extended tour of duty to his estranged family, ready to be a father to his teenaged son, Kitai. When an asteroid storm cripples their spacecraft, they crash-land on a now unfamiliar, quarantined and dangerous Earth. With Cypher critically injured, Kitai must embark on a perilous journey to signal for help, facing uncharted terrain, evolved animal species that now rule the planet, and an unstoppable alien creature that escaped during the crash His whole life, Kitai has wanted nothing more than to be a soldier like his father. Today, he gets his chance.

It would be fair to say that I am a Will Smith fan and have enjoyed his movies since he transitioned to the big screen. After seeing the trailer for After Earth I thought to myself that this is probably the first of his films that didn’t leave me with a desire to see it. If you saw the trailer for the film you pretty much get the gist of the story which was penned by Smith and adapted by screenwriter Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) and director M. Night Shyalaman. I have only seen Jaden Smith in a couple of films and can’t say that I am taken with him as an actor but he’s still young and working on his craft. I wanted to like After Earth but found its weak plot development, sluggish pacing and familiar estranged father/son mawkishness overshadowed any semblance of sci-fi adventure fun.

I didn’t care for the production design with respect to the depiction of the new home world, Nova Prime (how unoriginal), the futuristic weaponry, spacecraft or the alien creatures. It all just seemed basic and lacking in imagination. Will Smith is a fine actor but there simply wasn’t enough here for him to sink his teeth into. Jaden has the lion’s share of camera time and he doesn’t have the chops to keep the audience focused especially with such thin material. The action isn’t engaging and as alluded to earlier the narrative is frothy and lacking a spirited sense of adventure. M. Night Shyamalan just can’t seem to get it right which is a shame. At the end of the day After Earth feels more about Will + Jaden than a viable big budget sci-fi action adventure. As a fan I couldn’t help but be disappointed.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi action violence and some disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

After Earth comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.3 Mbps.

This is a reference quality Blu-ray offering from Sony that looks terrific in high definition. The video is razor sharp with a slightly edgy but otherwise pristine quality that is visually pleasing. Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images onscreen. Colors are rich and delineated with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pop nicely. The palette of secondary hues that represent the soft colors featured in the story, appear vivid and warm. Flesh tones are natural with varying degrees of complexional separation among the cast. Boldly applied contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is strong which brings out plenty of discernible texture in low/uneven lighting and dark backgrounds. The CGI based and green screen photography softened some shots but its effects are innate and fidelity appears intact.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. James Newton Howard’s music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and ambient sound effects, plays an intricate role in this surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the action based sequences. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I enjoyed this audio presentation but there was little about it that left an impression on me.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) “A Father’s Legacy” featurette – Will and Jaden Smith on and off screen – 8 minutes

• (HD) “1,000 Years in 300 Seconds” featurette – On Location with the Cast – 5 minutes

• (HD) “The Nature of the Future” featurette – A look at the landscapes and creatures of the film (can also be used as a screensaver on your HDTV)

• (HD) XPRIZE After Earth Robotics Challenge winning video – The exclusive reveal of the winning team's video, with an introduction by Jaden Smith as Kitai Raige – 3 minutes

• (HD) Alternate opening sequence – 2 minutes

• (HD) “Building a World” featurette – A glimpse into the creation of the After Earth universe – 12 minutes

• (HD) “Pre-Visualizing the Future” featurette – A next-generation approach to action sequences – 5 minutes

• (HD) “The Animatics of After Earth” featurette – Never-before-seen storyboards and animatics – 8 minutes

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

After Earth has large aspirations but unfortunately suffers from weak plot development, sluggish pacing and an overly sentimental theme that white washes the proceedings. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring solid technical merits and a fair supplemental offering that includes Blu-ray exclusive content. If you happen to like the film this is worth picking up otherwise I would wait for After Earth to come to cable/TV and check it out then.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Its sony not fox
post #3 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
...otherwise I would wait for After Earth to come to cable/TV and check it out then.

Ouch. Not even a rental. I really want to like this movie because I like Will Smith, but I too have had no great desire to see this one and that solidifies it.

- Nick Buol

post #4 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Thanks Ralph.

2 stars was nice. I didn't feel this movie at all...had such a hard time getting through it. wink.gif

Lee

post #5 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I agree Ralph this whole movie seemed they should of reshot all the scenes cause almost every shot seems like a bad take. Did you get the Mastered in 4K version? It should say it on the back cover on top.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #6 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Hopefully this will end Jaden's career or make him actually learn to act.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #7 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I agree Ralph this whole movie seemed they should of reshot all the scenes cause almost every shot seems like a bad take. Did you get the Mastered in 4K version? It should say it on the back cover on top.

Greetings,

Yes, I did receive the Mastered in 4K version.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #8 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

Its sony not fox

Greetings,

Knew that. Thanks for catching it.. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #9 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 56
All my friends hated it. I actually liked it. I have become bored with Will Smith's charming Fresh Price of Bel Air character that we see in ALL his movies. It was great to see him act like someone else. I believed it. I actually liked the set direction and design, but that's just me. I thought the film was beautiful. I'd give it a 7/10. Worth a rental, not a buy. I'm sure it helped that I went in with low expectations.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #10 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
wow not even recommended for a rental. It must be a bad film.
post #11 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

wow not even recommended for a rental. It must be a bad film.

well since cable tv is more expensive than a rental I think he was saying its a notch above rental status biggrin.gif
post #12 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
They can't all be great films, or even good for that matter, but thanks for taking the time to watch it and review it for us, Ralph! cool.gif

If Amazon should happen to put the blu-ray on sale for $2.99 or less, I might go ahead and pick it up, but otherwise I'm going to pass on it altogether. It's too bad that it turned out to be such a disappointment for so many viewers (according to the reviews I've read).

oz
post #13 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Just finished this and man, what a terrible film. Good audio and great video. Not even worth a rent IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #14 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Just finished this and man, what a terrible film. Good audio and great video. Not even worth a rent IMO.

You can say that again!

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #15 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 160
WOW what happen to M Night, you would think he would be a master by now, so sad, so sad. frown.gif

DJoel

post #16 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I watched it recently but I went in with very low expectations (after reading numerous reviews that ripped it apart) and with that I actually thought it was an OK movie. Def not worth buying but worth renting IMO. I enjoyed it much more than The Purge. Having said that, Jaden's acting in this was sub par.
post #17 of 63 Old 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

I cancelled my blind buy after reading the review and some of the posts. Will rent now.

Frank

post #18 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I cancelled my blind buy after reading the review and some of the posts. Will rent now.

Frank, just like Ralph, I too found this one disappointing (went to see it at the movies, rather by chance). Definitely check it out before buying, as I found one viewing was good enough. It may not be all that bad, but it just pales against all the really good sci-fi coming out recently (a few that come to mind: Prometheus, Oblivion, Star Trek Into Darkness and its predecessor, Pacific Rim, even Man of Steel has a cool sci-fi twist! Elysium--haven't had a chance to see that one but it looks really cool--, anxiously waiting to see Gravity--even James Cameron thumbs it up!--, etc etc).

Still, share your thoughts once you do see it!

Again, many thanks for the review, Ralph! (I suppose you were still going to be tempted to give it a spin sooner or later, so, good thing you didn't have to pay, eh?) wink.gif
post #19 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Good plan Frank! Chances are you will find one rental enough........and even then, you might still try and find a way to get that part of your life back! tongue.gif

post #20 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Cronnyism isn't my cup of tea. Pairing Jaden up with Jackie Chan didn't make him a star and now the father has to do it. What about letting people succeed or fail at their own merits? Sorry for the rant.
post #21 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post

Cronnyism isn't my cup of tea. Pairing Jaden up with Jackie Chan didn't make him a star and now the father has to do it. What about letting people succeed or fail at their own merits? Sorry for the rant.

I think Jaden and the kid from IM3 should hook up and do a movie. Now that would be Oscar material! biggrin.gif Throw in Justin Bieber for good measure.

post #22 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

deleted post, double posted on accident. Dang phone

JBL Pro Cinema
post #23 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think Jaden and the kid from IM3 should hook up and do a movie. Now that would be Oscar material! biggrin.gif Throw in Justin Bieber for good measure.

LOL Oscar material. That kid from IM3 was great tho! I loved him.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #24 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
A tip of the cap to you Ralph regarding this review. Personally I'm not sure what was more difficult for you, getting through this film or writing such an honest yet "professional" review. Often, if not too often, when a movie is leaning towards bad, you get a lot of snide comments that really do nothing to enhance the critique. Fortunately, you've spared us of all of that, stuck to the meat and potatoes of it and kept it moving, which is challenging I'm sure. Ripping it apart with snide comments is our job anyway. wink.gif I did see this film and was also disappointed but as far as Will Smith is concerned, I think he's earned a "flop" so to speak. Keep up the good work Ralph and we'll keep reading!
post #25 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Wow, even having to endure that movie for a Blu-Ray review. Thanks for "taking one for the team" Ralph.

biggrin.gif

Rich H

post #26 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Mastered in 4 K? Is that why it looks so sharp but seemed too fluid and smooth for film?
post #27 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

Wow, even having to endure that movie for a Blu-Ray review. Thanks for "taking one for the team" Ralph.

biggrin.gif

yeah ditto - impressive when you take into account he had to watch hangover 3 within a week of it.
post #28 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Watched it last night. Terrible movie, just terrible. i cant even rationalize how they came up with the plot. The future, 1000 years from now and they have to fight a terrible beast with a sword. Shouldn't they just have super uber blasters??? He'll just a good machine gun would have helped.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #29 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Disappointing the movie isn't better but I'll rent it anyway if only to see what all the hub-bub is about.
Quote:

As long as Bieber gets shot, blown up, impaled, drawn & quartered or all of the above at once I'd be good with that. biggrin.gif
Toe likes this.

post #30 of 63 Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post

Disappointing the movie isn't better but I'll rent it anyway if only to see what all the hub-bub is about.
As long as Bieber gets shot, blown up, impaled, drawn & quartered or all of the above at once I'd be good with that. biggrin.gif

Agreed! That alone would make it a great movie! tongue.gif

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
After Earth Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page