Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 248 Old 11-12-2013, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I haven't watched this movie yet, but when a movie has both a DTS MA 7.1 and 5.1 track, is either track upsampled or downsampled? I would prefer to use the original source track.

Still Learning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 248 Old 11-14-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
FINALLY GOT MY 3D COMBO PACK OF PACIFIC RIM 3D!!! cool.gif

HELLUVA 3D MOVIE!!! HECK, HELLUVA MOVIE, PERIOD!!! cool.gif

THE WHOLE FAMILY LOVES IT!!! cool.gif

GREAT PQ!!! GREAT AQ!!! (Obviously, right, Ralph!) cool.gif

HIGH REPLAY VALUE!!! cool.gif

Regarding the 3D issue some have mentioned (appearingly specific to the Gypsy Danger VS Knifehead battle scene), I did not experience any of it (happy to report wink.gif). In fact, I had forgotten all about it till afterwards (was so into the movie when watching), and I asked the others joining me, to which they reported not noticing anything either. I'm now thinking it may just have to do with how accustomed one is to viewing stereoscopic images after all, and repeated viewings may help those experiencing any anomalies? Hmmm... Of course, it's an awesome movie in 2D, too!
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #183 of 248 Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
i rented the 2d bluray from netflix...i chose the 5.1 dts ma track...kinda liked it, not that much surround activiy, and i had to turn the volume down a bit...the picture quality of the movie was amazing yet people with seizures might complain of the fast paced action of the movie if they see it in 3d...
post #184 of 248 Old 11-20-2013, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurity View Post

There is definitely an error and it seems some are more sensitive to it than others -- it starts at about 11:00 min into the film.

Here's a description of the problem:

"The reason that scene is causing eye strain or headaches is because in addition to the necessary horizontal disparity that makes stereoscopic 3D work, there's actually some accidental vertical disparity because the left eye image seems to have a slightly different aspect ratio. Pause the image and look at the top of the screen with each eye in turn and you will see that there is detail present in the right eye that's not present in the left eye. For instance, the frame I paused on showed a pilot's torso and in the right eye I could just see the bottom of his pec at the very top of the frame, but in the left eye the bottom of his pec wasn't visible and would've been just outside the top of the frame."

Has anyone contacted people about this issue? I am going to be trying to make contact about this tomorrow, this to me is an egregious error and whilst the 3d as a whole is still spectacular I am lost for words that this issue made its way through unnoticed and then reviewers also seem to have missed it.... Beyond disappointed.
post #185 of 248 Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

Has anyone contacted people about this issue? I am going to be trying to make contact about this tomorrow, this to me is an egregious error and whilst the 3d as a whole is still spectacular I am lost for words that this issue made its way through unnoticed and then reviewers also seem to have missed it.... Beyond disappointed.

It seems only a small percentage of users are sensitive to this issue, which may not be enough to warrant a replacement.

It's also possible that depending on the equipment, this error may or may not be noticeable. I was watching on an active 3d 24" monitor (Sony Playstation 3D Display).

I'm going to throw a wild theory out there and guess that those that don't see the problem are watching on passive 3D TVs. Perhaps the vertical disparity error is cancelled out just enough on passive 3D panels so that users won't be bothered, since there is technically a slight vertical disparity between left and right images being on every other line? Then again my theory is probably unfounded because an offset of one pixel should be negligible...

I'm told that Star Trek Into Darkness 3D disc had some of the same vertical disparity errors in some scenes, but the duration is short enough to just let it pass. One example would be the opening scene with Spock in the volcano and the error happens when there is a close up shot of his equipment on the ground.

post #186 of 248 Old 11-20-2013, 01:50 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurity View Post

It seems only a small percentage of users are sensitive to this issue, which may not be enough to warrant a replacement.

It's also possible that depending on the equipment, this error may or may not be noticeable. I was watching on an active 3d 24" monitor (Sony Playstation 3D Display).

I'm going to throw a wild theory out there and guess that those that don't see the problem are watching on passive 3D TVs. Perhaps the vertical disparity error is cancelled out just enough on passive 3D panels so that users won't be bothered, since there is technically a slight vertical disparity between left and right images being on every other line? Then again my theory is probably unfounded because an offset of one pixel should be negligible...

I'm told that Star Trek Into Darkness 3D disc had some of the same vertical disparity errors in some scenes, but the duration is short enough to just let it pass. One example would be the opening scene with Spock in the volcano and the error happens when there is a close up shot of his equipment on the ground.

I've watched it two times on an active display (BenQ W7000 projector) in 3d and did not notice any issues. Not saying they are not there, I just did not catch it.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #187 of 248 Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I've watched it two times on an active display (BenQ W7000 projector) in 3d and did not notice any issues. Not saying they are not there, I just did not catch it.

It most certainly present on the w7000, it is encoded on the disc incorrectly. Got o 11 minutes into the film and have a look, whether it immediately is obvious to you or not the product is faulty and should be replaced. Though given the Transformers 3 issues I doubt anything will be done as the only company that seems to fix these issues is Disney.
post #188 of 248 Old 11-20-2013, 05:15 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It most certainly present on the w7000, it is encoded on the disc incorrectly. Got o 11 minutes into the film and have a look, whether it immediately is obvious to you or not the product is faulty and should be replaced. Though given the Transformers 3 issues I doubt anything will be done as the only company that seems to fix these issues is Disney.

I believe you, but apparently I am just not sensitive to the issue for whatever reason as I did not catch it either time I have watched this in 3d. Honestly, I don't want to go looking for it in light of that because I would rather not see it! tongue.gif

I did catch the Transformers 3 3d issue though first time I watched it and really wish that would be fixed as I cant imagine a global brightness drop partway through just the 3d transfer was intentional! eek.gif

post #189 of 248 Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I believe you, but apparently I am just not sensitive to the issue for whatever reason as I did not catch it either time I have watched this in 3d. Honestly, I don't want to go looking for it in light of that because I would rather not see it! tongue.gif

I did catch the Transformers 3 3d issue though first time I watched it and really wish that would be fixed as I cant imagine a global brightness drop partway through just the 3d transfer was intentional! eek.gif

I actually saw Transformers 3 in cinemas earlier this year, the brightness drop most certainly is not part of the source. I can still converge the image with little issue (though I get minor but mostly negligible eye strain) the bigger issue is it hurts the 3d presentation and should not be there. I have sent an email to those I think I should contact but I expect nothing to be done as movie studios tend to just not care (excluding disney who have been very good). If nothing is done I will get my money back which I don't want to have to do as I like the film. But I will not accept a faulty product like this.

I like Ralph Potts reviews but this is yet another instance of him dropping the ball and missing something that should be mentioned in the review. I don't blame him for the issue of course but I just can't believe no blu-ray reviewers noticed this issue. It practically slapped me in the face.
post #190 of 248 Old 11-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I actually saw Transformers 3 in cinemas earlier this year, the brightness drop most certainly is not part of the source. I can still converge the image with little issue (though I get minor but mostly negligible eye strain) the bigger issue is it hurts the 3d presentation and should not be there. I have sent an email to those I think I should contact but I expect nothing to be done as movie studios tend to just not care (excluding disney who have been very good). If nothing is done I will get my money back which I don't want to have to do as I like the film. But I will not accept a faulty product like this.

I like Ralph Potts reviews but this is yet another instance of him dropping the ball and missing something that should be mentioned in the review. I don't blame him for the issue of course but I just can't believe no blu-ray reviewers noticed this issue. It practically slapped me in the face.

In all due respect, I think you are being hard on Ralph, or anyone for that matter who did not catch this. How sensitive each of us are to certain A/V issues really depends on many factors and the people who are sensitive to this particular issue are the exception, not the norm as otherwise we would have TONS of people raging about this which is just not the case. Besides a few here and over at bluray.com, the general consensus on this 3d transfer is nothing but praise from my reading. Not trying to discredit you and your findings either, but it is very understandable how someone could miss this, hell I still have not seen it after watching it twice! If it was such a universal slap in the face issue, we would be hearing MUCH, MUCH more about it which is flat out not the case.

post #191 of 248 Old 11-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In all due respect, I think you are being hard on Ralph, or anyone for that matter who did not catch this. How sensitive each of us are to certain A/V issues really depends on many factors and the people who are sensitive to this particular issue are the exception, not the norm as otherwise we would have TONS of people raging about this which is just not the case. Besides a few here and over at bluray.com, the general consensus on this 3d transfer is nothing but praise from my reading. Not trying to discredit you and your findings either, but it is very understandable how someone could miss this, hell I still have not seen it after watching it twice! If it was such a universal slap in the face issue, we would be hearing MUCH, MUCH more about it which is flat out not the case.

For me it was a slap in the face and when one reviews defects such as this should be noted. How no review I have seen noticed what is undeniably an issue is disheartening and does discredit the reviews themselves and the reviewer.

You may say I am being to harsh but people simply sitting back and saying "good enough" or reviewers simply not having the competence to notice a faulty product is why things like the Transformer 3 3d blu-ray never got fixed. I just checked and he also missed the issue in Transformers 3 which would annoy me less had he gone back and checked and updated his review. But he didn't, could he answer why he didn't? Does he not have access to the blu-ray anymore? Is he happy putting out reviews and then leaving those reviews unchanged that fail to fulfill there purpose of informing the reader?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390181/transformers-dark-of-the-moon-3d-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review

It is inarguable that his reviews are at times are missing glaring issues, so I think if anything people are being to nice. These faults should be noticed and they should be noted in the review and if one is unable to notice such issues they may not be suited to reviewing. Readers use reviews to help decide on purchases and it is the job of a review to not only note the postives but also the flaws. Failing to do so is a failing of the review.
post #192 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

I just took note of when the issue starts and ends and have got an easy way of showing just how bad the issue is. The issue begins at 3 minutes and 42 seconds and is present until at least 14 minutes and 28 seconds (I stopped watching at this point). Meaning that over 10 minutes of footage has this problem. The most obvious way of seeing this issue (even without glasses) is at 9 minutes and 15 seconds, if you look at the text saying “ALASKA COASTLINE 10 MILE LINE” or at 3 minutes and 54 seconds with the text saying "ALASKA - 2020 KAIJU WAR YEAR 7" one should be able to easily see that the text is at two different vertical heights for the text. This results in eye strain and head aches as one is unable to properly converge the two images into one 3d image. Now compare this to a sequence where there is no vertical disparity at 23 minutes and 8 second. Note how “HONG KONG BAY 1800 HOURS” has both its left image at the same height as it is meant to be.

Begin sarcasm.
I clearly must be going to hard on a reviews failure to notice such a 'slight' issue that apparently hardly effects 'any' of the footage. I mean it is only around 8% of the film that is affected.
End sarcasm.

To me the issue causes a similar problem to if you display the left eye in the right and vice versa. How one could not notice a problem here is beyond me though understandable. How someone who's job is to review the video of a blu-ray doesn't notice this issue, or fails to mention it is incompetence.
post #193 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
FilmReverie, perhaps you should start reviewing 3D? End sarcasm. tongue.gif

No, seriously, all this does make one think, and it equally does make one feel the need to consciously check these (vertical) disparities by pausing these 3D discs here and there. Before your comments, FR, I hadn't noticed the "problems" in Into Darkness 3D or Dark Of The Moon 3D, BUT come to think of it, I do recall seeing something "odd" precisely when we view Spock's cooling gear pop open in the volcano (Into Darknes 3D). Given how short it actually is, though, I think I may have subconsciously chosen to put it in the back of my mind and not let it mess with the fun. Dark Of The Moon 3D, on the other hand, I have yet to notice anything strange(ish) in it. rolleyes.gif

Back to Pacific Rim 3D, the other night a 10-yr-old neighbor dropped by and my kids were watching this 2D. He was asked if he'd like to check it out 3D and excitedly accepted. The 3D disc was played from the start for the kid to see all of it, and he said he thought (smiling) it was "really cool," till I noticed he wasn't feeling too comfortable with the glasses approx 10 mins in. He didn't want to accept it at first but he finally gave in and said he was "tired" and, since it was getting pretty late for him on a school night, wanted to go home and "come back and catch it later." This is where it hit me that, either I was too tired from work (or have been made aware of it on this thread, LOL), but now I think it was also making me a bit dizzy...on a third home 3D viewing! I then went to bed (was going to anyway) and my kids swapped back to 2D to resume watching it where thay had originally left it, since my 5-yr-old wanted to be playing battles with his action figures at the same time and the glasses got in his way.

Factors (maybe?) in play: I was seated at a place outside my normal viewing position; I was very tired from work; the kid neighbor is too young and hasn't had that much 3D exposure (my 5-yr-old didn't seem to be bothered by it at all, though); OR there is definitely something "wrong" and "faulty" with this 3D title??? For anyone interested, my setup is passive.

OR, BETTER YET, this is the reason why they always tell you to watch for signs of fatigue and read health info related to 3D viewing/gaming, and these disparities are not actually flaws and have always been present since the birth of the new 3D revolution, AND neither Ralph nor MANY others simply will not and should not be bothered by such issues under normal conditions, as all of it is intended to be that way??? Heck, now I think this is probly there in ALL Blu-ray 3D titles, and we could find it by pausing frame by frame every single time??? No, thanks. The more I think of it, the less I want to be made aware of such "problems," and the more I want to keep enjoying the 3D ride Pacific Rim (and most other 3D films in my collection) is in 3D!!!

Again, I'm not the expert, and don't pretend to be. Just my added 2 cents. My advice? View 3D well-rested and pump up the volume! Pacific Rim 3D rules! cool.gif
post #194 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:

Begin sarcasm.
I clearly must be going to hard on a reviews failure to notice such a 'slight' issue that apparently hardly effects 'any' of the footage. I mean it is only around 8% of the film that is affected.
End sarcasm.

To me the issue causes a similar problem to if you display the left eye in the right and vice versa. How one could not notice a problem here is beyond me though understandable. How someone who's job is to review the video of a blu-ray doesn't notice this issue, or fails to mention it is incompetence.

You may say I am being to harsh but people simply sitting back and saying "good enough" or reviewers simply not having the competence to notice a faulty product is why things like the Transformer 3 3d blu-ray never got fixed. I just checked and he also missed the issue in Transformers 3 which would annoy me less had he gone back and checked and updated his review. But he didn't, could he answer why he didn't? Does he not have access to the blu-ray anymore? Is he happy putting out reviews and then leaving those reviews unchanged that fail to fulfill there purpose of informing the reader?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390181/transformers-dark-of-the-moon-3d-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review

It is inarguable that his reviews are at times are missing glaring issues, so I think if anything people are being to nice. These faults should be noticed and they should be noted in the review and if one is unable to notice such issues they may not be suited to reviewing. Readers use reviews to help decide on purchases and it is the job of a review to not only note the postives but also the flaws. Failing to do so is a failing of the review.

Greetings,

FilmReviere, clearly this problem with Pacific Rim is an issue for you and for that I am sorry.

As for the above you are out of line. Firstly, I cannot and will not report on an issue that I don't experience and in all fairness can't be expected to. Secondly, I have had cases where readers have reported an issue/problem that I may have missed during an evaluation. I have no problem with going back and checking for the issue and if present acknowledging my error and updating my review. Thirdly, I can't imagine how emboldening it must be for you, a nameless, faceless number in cyberspace to sit at your keyboard and judge so harshly.

I am not infallible or above reproach and have no problem with criticism if its fair and constructive. Out of the 1500 plus reviews that I have written the number of cases where I missed something that would negatively impact a readers ability to enjoy a Blu-ray is few at best. In those cases I owned up to it and where appropriate updated my review to reflect that. I simply don't have the time to follow threads in other forums that my relate to arising issues once my review is posted. If they are brought up here I will investigate if applicable.

Writers/reviewers are not perfect. If you feel that only those that are should be read than I would advise you to go in search of one and have at it. I didn't have any problem with Pacific Rim 3D/2D. I can appreciate your passion but your approach to conveying it here in your inflammatory attacks on me is misguided. Neither myself or any other writer are here to serve as a punching bag for every zealot with an ax to grind.

You have made your point. Further posts like those quoted above will be deleted.

Regards,
Toe, XStanleyX, audiofan1 and 2 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #195 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:

-1 next time you critique the reviewer show a little class. No sarcasm intended wink.gif
Toe likes this.
post #196 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

-1 next time you critique the reviewer show a little class. No sarcasm intended wink.gif

Agreed. Talk about off base! frown.gif

post #197 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:

Nice! that's the first neg 1 I've seen on a forum biggrin.gif
post #198 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Nice! that's the first neg 1 I've seen on a forum biggrin.gif

It seemed fitting biggrin.gif
post #199 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

FilmReviere, clearly this problem with Pacific Rim is an issue for you and for that I am sorry.

As for the above you are out of line. Firstly, I cannot and will not report on an issue that I don't experience and in all fairness can't be expected to. Secondly, I have had cases where readers have reported an issue/problem that I may have missed during an evaluation. I have no problem with going back and checking for the issue and if present acknowledging my error and updating my review. Thirdly, I can't imagine how emboldening it must be for you, a nameless, faceless number in cyberspace to sit at your keyboard and judge so harshly.

I am not infallible or above reproach and have no problem with criticism if its fair and constructive. Out of the 1500 plus reviews that I have written the number of cases where I missed something that would negatively impact a readers ability to enjoy a Blu-ray is few at best. In those cases I owned up to it and where appropriate updated my review to reflect that. I simply don't have the time to follow threads in other forums that my relate to arising issues once my review is posted. If they are brought up here I will investigate if applicable.

Writers/reviewers are not perfect. If you feel that only those that are should be read than I would advise you to go in search of one and have at it. I didn't have any problem with Pacific Rim 3D/2D. I can appreciate your passion but your approach to conveying it here in your inflammatory attacks on me is misguided. Neither myself or any other writer are here to serve as a punching bag for every zealot with an ax to grind.

You have made your point. Further posts like those quoted above will be deleted.

Regards,

If this is true would you care to explain why your Transformers 3 and Pacific Rim review have not been updated? I can understand Pacific Rim as you need time to see for yourself etc, but Tranformers 3 has been quite some time. Is there something I am missing, is there a good batch out there?

Also yes I will judge harshly. Reviews exist to inform people, when they lack key pieces of information the review as a result losses its usefulness. For example I did buy based on your review and was as a result mislead having expected good 3d throughout, instead I got a notable portion of the film that was not pleasant to watch.

It is also not simply an issue for me, it is an issue with the transfer. What about my criticism was unfair and constructive, I have pointed out an issue I noticed that you have missed that effects a large portion of the film. That is both fair and constructive criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

FilmReverie, perhaps you should start reviewing 3D? End sarcasm. tongue.gif=

I don't do such reviews as I don't believe I have good enough eyes to notice everything a review should contain, nor do I have the equipment that I fell would be needed for such a review.

Factors (maybe?) in play: I was seated at a place outside my normal viewing position; I was very tired from work; the kid neighbor is too young and hasn't had that much 3D exposure (my 5-yr-old didn't seem to be bothered by it at all, though); OR there is definitely something "wrong" and "faulty" with this 3D title??? For anyone interested, my setup is passive.

OR, BETTER YET, this is the reason why they always tell you to watch for signs of fatigue and read health info related to 3D viewing/gaming, and these disparities are not actually flaws and have always been present since the birth of the new 3D revolution, AND neither Ralph nor MANY others simply will not and should not be bothered by such issues under normal conditions, as all of it is intended to be that way??? Heck, now I think this is probly there in ALL Blu-ray 3D titles, and we could find it by pausing frame by frame every single time??? No, thanks. The more I think of it, the less I want to be made aware of such "problems," and the more I want to keep enjoying the 3D ride Pacific Rim (and most other 3D films in my collection) is in 3D!!!

Nope, this is a clear error that has been made when the transfer was done.

Again, I'm not the expert, and don't pretend to be. Just my added 2 cents. My advice? View 3D well-rested and pump up the volume! Pacific Rim 3D rules! cool.gif

Pacific Rim 3d does indeed rule, its just a shame that the 3d blu-ray is limited by a botched transfer.
post #200 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This movie was one of the worst movies I have seen in a long time. No, actually, second worst. Sharknado was the worst movie ever made. I just could not get into Pacific Rim. I literally went numb watching this movie. My brain went into an almost comatose state and for a second I thought I died. The acting was bad, the plot was bad, the character development was bad. I had high hopes for this movie, I really did. I used to watch the Godzilla movies when I was young. The only cool part about this whole movie was the giant robots walking. My two subs pounded. I give it a 1 star rating.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #201 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If this is true would you care to explain why your Transformers 3 and Pacific Rim review have not been updated? I can understand Pacific Rim as you need time to see for yourself etc, but Tranformers 3 has been quite some time. Is there something I am missing, is there a good batch out there?

Also yes I will judge harshly. Reviews exist to inform people, when they lack key pieces of information the review as a result losses its usefulness. For example I did buy based on your review and was as a result mislead having expected good 3d throughout, instead I got a notable portion of the film that was not pleasant to watch.

It is also not simply an issue for me, it is an issue with the transfer. What about my criticism was unfair and constructive, I have pointed out an issue I noticed that you have missed that effects a large portion of the film. That is both fair and constructive criticism.

If the other members and Ralph don't mind I'll answer the fair and constructive part. I think the proper way to do this was to ask Ralph or others if they had issues like yours, not publicly flame him like you did. Other members are not having the same issue as you, so there's no need to keep ranting. Check your settings, check the batteries in your glasses and please check your attitude. Check this out too, it's a list of the reviews Mr P has done or he has done the majority of them. Take note to how many 3D movies he's reviewed, I'm sure it's more than 30 people have seen in their lifetime. I'm not trying to scold you but there's a right way to do things, thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1029348/avsforum-blu-ray-disc-review-database/0_100
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #202 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Greetings,

FilmReverie, As I stated earlier I had no problem with Pacific Rim having watched it twice. If there is an anomaly present I didn't notice it. Pointing out something I haven't seen which causes viewers to go in search of it is potentially counterproductive. If some are more sensitive to this than others causing them to go looking for it could potentially ruin their experience (if present). Hence my comments to you earlier about being sorry that this is a problem for you.

As for Transformers, I didn't have a problem with it and frankly haven't gone back to see about the brightness drop issue. For that I accept responsibility but will not allow you to use either of these instances to question my credibility or dedication to the members of this community. Not everyone can watch 3D. My daughter can't because it gives her a headache. Perhaps it's not your bag either.

Regardless this discussion has derailed this thread enough. If you wish to discuss further feel free to PM me. Any further one on one on this topic in the thread will be deleted.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #203 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the other members and Ralph don't mind I'll answer the fair and constructive part. I think the proper way to do this was to ask Ralph or others if they had issues like yours, not publicly flame him like you did. Other members are not having the same issue as you, so there's no need to keep ranting. Check your settings, check the batteries in your glasses and please check your attitude. Check this out too, it's a list of the reviews Mr P has done or he has done the majority of them. Take note to how many 3D movies he's reviewed, I'm sure it's more than 30 people have seen in their lifetime. I'm not trying to scold you but there's a right way to do things, thanks.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1029348/avsforum-blu-ray-disc-review-database/0_100

It isn't a display issue. I myself have tried it on three different displays with two different blu-ray players, the issue is the same on all. I assure you other members are having the same issue as me, whether they notice it is another thing altogether though (I have seen people watch an entire film with the eyes swapped and not complain). I just borrowed an Australian copy as well to compare with my imported copy, the video is identical. So it is very safe to say that this is an issue that likely effects all the 3d blu-rays.

You didn't actually address what wasn't fair about my posts. Are you claiming there is not problem? Or are you claiming that reviews shouldn't notice problems that effect a large portion of the film? Just checking back through this thread alone I am not the first person to notice this issue in this thread so others have mentioned this issue and the response was no response. Also care to defend how the Transformer 3 3d blu-ray review has not been updated the claim "I have no problem with going back and checking for the issue and if present acknowledging my error and updating my review" would surely suggest it would have been.

Once again I do like Ralph Potts reviews. Some of the issues he has missed though are rather glaring and he also hasn't updated at least some of his reviews with known issues. Pointing that out is not unfair and it is constructive.
post #204 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Ralph if I'm out of line please tell me. Like many that frequent your reviews I feel like I know you smile.gif and I take offense when people talk down to you. You reviews are very valuable and personally I'm not buying a BD until I read yours.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #205 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

It isn't a display issue. I myself have tried it on three different displays with two different blu-ray players, the issue is the same on all. I assure you other members are having the same issue as me, whether they notice it is another thing altogether though (I have seen people watch an entire film with the eyes swapped and not complain). I just borrowed an Australian copy as well to compare with my imported copy, the video is identical. So it is very safe to say that this is an issue that likely effects all the 3d blu-rays.

You didn't actually address what wasn't fair about my posts. Are you claiming there is not problem? Or are you claiming that reviews shouldn't notice problems that effect a large portion of the film? Just checking back through this thread alone I am not the first person to notice this issue in this thread so others have mentioned this issue and the response was no response. Also care to defend how the Transformer 3 3d blu-ray review has not been updated the claim "I have no problem with going back and checking for the issue and if present acknowledging my error and updating my review" would surely suggest it would have been.

Once again I do like Ralph Potts reviews. Some of the issues he has missed though are rather glaring and he also hasn't updated at least some of his reviews with known issues. Pointing that out is not unfair and it is constructive.

Dude, let it go. Move on with your day. Are you really going to brow beat this man for not talking about an issue that you personally think he should bring up as an issue? Really? IT IS A MOVIE!!!! Most people talk about plot, character development, artistic quality, and story. Just because you might or might not have eye issues, do not abuse this man who is providing a service to the people. Move on my friend. Move on.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #206 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Ralph if I'm out of line please tell me. Like many that frequent your reviews I feel like I know you smile.gif and I take offense when people talk down to you. You reviews are very valuable and personally I'm not buying a BD until I read yours.

Greetings,

John,

You're entitled to have your say and the support is much appreciated. smile.gif

Regards,
comfynumb likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #207 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3D is an animal all it's own, and there are many variables. I'm not policing the thread I'm simply pointing out there is a better way to address this than telling us members that it's yet "another instance of Ralph dropping the ball" How would you like to be flamed for an issue that never happened to you?

Here's an example;
Ralph did you notice xxx at 15:40 into the movie? I disagree about the 3D I thought it was below average, could you look into it again? I'm pretty sure it's not his "job" to do these reviews, rather he enjoys it and does it for us. But if people keep blasting him for issues out his control I wouldn't blame him if he stopped doing reviews.
Nothing against you I just thought I'd pass along some information that could prove valuable. Let's move on smile.gif
pokekevin likes this.
post #208 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

3D is an animal all it's own, and there are many variables. I'm not policing the thread I'm simply pointing out there is a better way to address this than telling us members that it's yet "another instance of Ralph dropping the ball" How would you like to be flamed for an issue that never happened to you?

Here's an example;
Ralph did you notice xxx at 15:40 into the movie? I disagree about the 3D I thought it was below average, could you look into it again? I'm pretty sure it's not his "job" to do these reviews, rather he enjoys it and does it for us. But if people keep blasting him for issues out his control I wouldn't blame him if he stopped doing reviews.
Nothing against you I just thought I'd pass along some information that could prove valuable. Let's move on smile.gif

This is the pleasant way and imho the way it should be done.
comfynumb likes this.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #209 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's an example;

The point is the issue will have been present and he didn't notice it. He claimed that he updates his reviews in such instances but when provided with an example where he didn't update his review or even bother checking his response is "you need to get over it". I provided another instance of him missing a notable issue which he never even bothered to check on and thus the review is still misleading anyone who reads it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 View Post

Dude, let it go. Move on with your day. Are you really going to brow beat this man for not talking about an issue that you personally think he should bring up as an issue? Really? IT IS A MOVIE!!!! Most people talk about plot, character development, artistic quality, and story. Just because you might or might not have eye issues, do not abuse this man who is providing a service to the people. Move on my friend. Move on.

Once again it is not my eyes, it is an issue with the transfer. I have provided examples so one can easily see the issue. If you are happy ignoring issues that is up to you. I never pointed out anything regarding his review of the film and it is very hard to be right or wrong when reviewing a film (for example not watching it would make your review of the film worthless). But he also is reviewing the video and audio whereby technical issues are a matter of wrong and right. So are his videos and audio section of his reviews just wasted filler or do they serve a purpose? As if the only thing worth talking about is "plot, character development, artistic quality, and story" then why would he have written a review for the video quality or audio quality? It is to inform readers of the positives and negatives and this review does not mention a rather big negative.
post #210 of 248 Old 11-21-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:

The point is the issue will have been present and he didn't notice it. He claimed that he updates his reviews in such instances but when provided with an example where he didn't update his review or even bother checking his response is "you need to get over it". I provided another instance of him missing a notable issue which he never even bothered to check on and thus the review is still misleading anyone who reads it.
Once again it is not my eyes, it is an issue with the transfer. I have provided examples so one can easily see the issue. If you are happy ignoring issues that is up to you. I never pointed out anything regarding his review of the film and it is very hard to be right or wrong when reviewing a film (for example not watching it would make your review of the film worthless). But he also is reviewing the video and audio whereby technical issues are a matter of wrong and right. So are his videos and audio section of his reviews just wasted filler or do they serve a purpose? As if the only thing worth talking about is "plot, character development, artistic quality, and story" then why would he have written a review for the video quality or audio quality? It is to inform readers of the positives and negatives and this review does not mention a rather big negative.

Somewhere in the world a dead horse is getting beaten. Oh Wait! I found it!

Looky here!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Reviews , Review

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page