Studio and Year: Warner - 2013
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 112 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Vera Farmiga, Patrick Wilson, Lily Taylor, Ron Livingston, Joey King
Directed by: James Wan
Music by: Joseph Bishara
Written by: Chad Hayes & Carey W. Hayes
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 22, 2013

"Based on the true case files of the Warrens"

Film Synopsis:

Before there was Amityville, there was Harrisville. “The Conjuring” tells the true story of world renowned paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren (Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga) who were called upon to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in a secluded farmhouse. Forced to confront a powerful demonic entity, the Warrens find themselves caught in the most horrifying case of their lives.

My Take:

It’s funny but it seems like there are many people that simply don’t watch horror films. When I bring up the subject of any particular scary flick I get “I don’t like or I don’t watch scary movies”. That of course isn’t everyone but it’s more than you think. The reason for this regardless of what people say is that they simply don’t like the feeling of anxiety, suspense and consternation brought on by watching them. For me some of that is true as well but it really depends on the type of horror the film employs. Horror that works on you psychologically combined with things that go bump in the night followed by foreboding dread is the kind of stuff that in my opinion makes for the best hair raising movies.

The Conjuring is just such a movie. Supposedly based on the case files of real life demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren this is an old school haunted house chiller that is sure to get the adrenaline pumping. The primary story takes place in the early 1970’s with the Perron family, husband Roger, wife Carolyn and their five daughters moving into a 1700’s house with an (unknown to them) dark past. Prior to that, the opening sequence introduces the Warrens via a case involving a “possessed” (and very creepy) doll belonging to two college girls. From that we see that the Warrens are experienced and have not only an understanding of what is out there but a respect for it as well. After a series of unexplained and frightening encounters with “something” in their new home The Perrons turn to the Warrens for help. With the Warrens now in the picture the events begin to escalate as the evil that surrounds them reveals its purpose.

The Conjuring is throwback style horror that is good scary fun. You probably won’t feel that way while watching because it does a great job of building eerie tension using both visual and audio cues for the setup then following with the reveal. Mind you there is probably nothing here that we haven’t seen before but the execution which is aided by effective use of lighting and camera work is quite good. The script is solid as well and eschews the typical elements of one victim seeing/hearing things then trying to convince everyone else that they are not crazy. What you get here is more like The Amityville Horror although there is a bit more of a twist especially once you find out more about the house’s past.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Conjuring. It’s not the scariest horror film I have seen but it effectively maximizes its thematic elements which on several occasions raised the hairs on the back of my neck. Hey, you can’t ask for more than that…

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of disturbing violence and terror.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Conjuring comes to Blu-ray from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3 Mbps.

This film’s visual style doesn’t lend itself to eye catching color or infinite levels of dimension but this is a creative decision that doesn’t reflect negatively on its presentation. Resolution is excellent with clearly rendered images that exhibit refined levels of detail during close ups and discernible depth of field in wide angle shots. The filtered chromatic range is purposefully limited to muted primary colors and softer secondary hues. That coupled with the drab lighting schemes and dark cinematography makes for a visually pallid but thematically affecting look. Skin tones among the cast vary and range from Rosy to pale while appearing textural and predominantly lifelike. Blacks are deep and dynamic and shadow detail is excellent. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts in this whistle clean high definition presentation that looks terrific.

The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is excellent and truly enhances the film’s overall presentation. This is a dynamically gratifying surround mix that features high level detail, superlative clarity, and rich, room filling surround sound. This is sophisticated sound design that incorporates a vast number of sound effects that are intricately mixed to engage the listening position. Spot on imaging and channel separation draw out both large and small sounds and allow their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable within the room’s acoustic boundaries. This is not an ostentatious audio presentation but it offers engaging bass extension that produces smooth, palpably rich low frequencies that energize the room. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity. End to end this is an attention grabbing home theater presentation that plays perfectly to this film’s thematic content. Crank it up and enjoy!

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The Conjuring: Face to face with terror – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) A life in demonology – 15 minute documentary

• (HD) Scaring the #%*&@ out of you – 8 minute featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the case files of real life demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren The Conjuring is a multifaceted throwback style horror flick that is well executed and excellent hair raising fun. It comes to Blu-ray disc featuring a top notch high definition audio/video presentation and a noticeably light supplemental package that is worth checking out. The Conjuring is an effective and chilling genre entry that deserves a spot at the very top of your rental queue. If you’re already a fan, feel free to add this Blu-ray release from Warner Home Video to your collection.

Here is the trailer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

AaronTV likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Thanks for the review Ralph. This was one of the few films I went to the local theater to see this year and was pleasently surprised. I really enjoyed it and will be watching again to round out my Halloween viewing for this year. smile.gif
scottvamp likes this.
post #3 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Nice review.

Cover art sucks though....

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #4 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Nice review.

Cover art sucks though....

Yeah, I like either of these better.

post #5 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nice review, Ralph. I wanted to see this one and didn't really care about a Blu purchase so I got an iTunes copy and watched it the other day. May end up one of my favorite horror flicks. I really enjoyed this one--good acting all around and some good effects too. And of course as mandated from every good horror movie--some very scary moments. Will want to watch again soon. smile.gif

Bob

post #6 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Thank you, Ralph, for viewing and reviewing this hella-fun "old school haunted house chiller!" I insist EVERYONE has to see this, even if horror isn't your cup of tea! It is one very well made piece of cinema in all aspects! Highly, highly recommended indeed!

It's great to hear the audio doesn't disappoint, and I also agree you have to crank it up to get the full experience! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I fondly remember the sound of that creepy doll banging outside the door and cannot wait to relive it in my HT!!! Great stuff! eek.gif

And you are so right, Ralph. People tend to not want to mess with this genre altogether, and your reviewing this hopefully gets fellow forum members interested in checking it out. I, for one, generally don't get to watch too much horror based on several things I think most will agree on:

1) The wife. I enjoy getting the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end every once in a while, but she does not (at least not as often), so I steer away from such movies when considering what to get or rent (or even play at home);

2) The kids. You just have to consider stuff which is more family-oriented. Luckily, my older Son and daughter, 18 and 15, are getting a real kick out of horror and this was one of the easiest choices we've made upon going to the movies when it premiered---of course, our third child, 5, had to stay with his grandparents---and let me tell you we had a blast! Even my wife enjoyed it, and I think it's due to not being that graphic and being more "old school" (she was still the first to scream at the movies, though eek.gif! tongue.gif);

3) There's always something better to see in all the other genres I (we all at AVSF?) enjoy, mainly action/adventure/sci-fi/animated/3D; and

4) Horror is usually bad. There's only but a handful of good horror films dating back to The Exorcist and Halloween. Speaking of which, The Conjuring put a smile on my face reminiscent of when viewing such classics!

Well, have no fear, forum-mates (or, better yet, look forward to having fear, for once!), this movie makes up for all of that IMHO. smile.gif

I WILL DEFINITELY be purchasing this blu-ray and recommend everyone do the same! cool.gif

Happy Halloween, guys! wink.gif
post #7 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

+1! There's even a poster image with the little girl facing the closet which would've been much much cooler!
post #8 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
This is an image of the steelbook edition for the UK. Very cool cover.

asere likes this.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
post #9 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Greetings,

I agree. Thanks for sharing adidino.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 204
This movie made me jump a few times in the theater and I consider myself a horror enthusiast.

Day one buy for me!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #11 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Oooooh a spooky one biggrin.gif thanks for the great review Ralph! This also got a good IMDB score and will be a day one blind buy for me. I will be looking forward to scaring the crap out of the GF with this one.
post #12 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

This is an image of the steelbook edition for the UK. Very cool cover.

I know they are going for the 70's look in the US artwork, but I'd much rather the UK version.
post #13 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 413
Has this been released yet? might be good for Saturday night !
post #14 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Has this been released yet? might be good for Saturday night !

Next week my friend!
audiofan1 likes this.

post #15 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I know they are going for the 70's look in the US artwork, but I'd much rather the UK version.

I'm importing the UK steelbook. The US artwork is terrible. I'll have to wait a bit to watch it which is the only downer. Won't be here until sometime after December 9th.

Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

post #16 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
thanks for the review...i have it in my netflix queue...ready to get it next month...
post #17 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

I'm importing the UK steelbook. The US artwork is terrible. I'll have to wait a bit to watch it which is the only downer. Won't be here until sometime after December 9th.

If it's one you really want I can't blame you. Where did you order it from?
post #18 of 84 Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Those are MUCH better covers.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #19 of 84 Old 10-17-2013, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

.... It’s not the scariest horror film I have seen but it effectively maximizes its thematic elements which on several occasions raised the hairs on the back of my neck. Hey, you can’t ask for more than that…
Nice review: I am looking forward to this movie. Just out of curiosity , what is the scariest horror film you have watched? I mean the kind of movie where chock-effects are amazing and where you just get this feeling of anxiety and suspense.

JBL ScreenArray Cinema | 9.4 Surround | 136" Scope
post #20 of 84 Old 10-18-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Excellent review Ralph, thank you! I really enjoyed this in the theater and found it to be one of the most refreshing domestic installments in the horror genre in years. I really enjoyed how the story involved the Warrens and the family in the house instead of the tired old format of the "experts" that get called in later in the film who are never developed or of much interest. I think the UK steelbook must be mine.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #21 of 84 Old 10-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Does this film have good replay value in your opinion Ralph and others who have seen it? Trying to decide on blind buy or rent.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #22 of 84 Old 10-18-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

Where from? I didn't see it on amazon.uk ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Does this film have good replay value in your opinion Ralph and others who have seen it? Trying to decide on blind buy or rent.
It will be in regular rotation for me every October and it's a great one to show when company is over because it is not too violent and has good classic scares with good characters and a story that is nicely assembled as the movie unfolds.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #23 of 84 Old 10-19-2013, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Greetings,

Todd, I would start with a rent. That doesn't imply anything negative but sometimes with horror movies once the scares are out of the bag a second viewing may not be the same. I have added it to my collection though...smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 84 Old 10-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Thanks guys. Good point Ralph about the scares. I will probably rent and then go from there. cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #25 of 84 Old 10-19-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Where from? I didn't see it on amazon.uk ?
It will be in regular rotation for me every October and it's a great one to show when company is over because it is not too violent and has good classic scares with good characters and a story that is nicely assembled as the movie unfolds.

+1, This was also the first movie I have seen at my theater that had the subwoofers working.

post #26 of 84 Old 10-19-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Those are MUCH better covers.

Time to use photoshop to create a better cover biggrin.gif
comfynumb likes this.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #27 of 84 Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Not many scary movies worth watching these days, ill probably grab this one up. Im sure itll have a few parts thatll make me jump eek.gif

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
post #28 of 84 Old 10-21-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Enjoyed this one in the theater and am glad it's out in time for Halloween. A purchase for me.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #29 of 84 Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Got this a day early from amazon and gave it a whirl. One of the better scary movies for sure. I watched it by myself and may give it another spin with some one else. Great sound track that gives the woofers a nice work out. I'm not usually a scary movie viewer unless it's well reviewed and thought this one was worth it. Starts slow but builds in momentum so don't give up too early.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #30 of 84 Old 10-22-2013, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

Got this a day early from amazon and gave it a whirl. One of the better scary movies for sure. I watched it by myself and may give it another spin with some one else. Great sound track that gives the woofers a nice work out. I'm not usually a scary movie viewer unless it's well reviewed and thought this one was worth it. Starts slow but builds in momentum so don't give up too early.

Greetings,

Thanks for offering your thoughts XStanleyX. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Conjuring Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List