Feature running time: 96 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French/Spanish
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Ryan Reynolds, Kevin Bacon, Mary-Louise Parker, Stephanie Szostak, Marissa Miller, James Hong
Directed by: Robert Schwentke
Music by: Christophe Beck
Written by: Phil Hay & Matt Manfredi
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 29, 2013

"To protect and serve the living"

Film Synopsis:

Veteran sheriff Roy Pulsifer (Bridges), works for the otherworldly police force R.I.P.D. tracking monstrous souls disguised among the living as ordinary people, and is assigned new recruit Nick Walker (Reynolds) as his partner. Upon uncovering a humanity threatening plot, the new duo have to work together to thwart it thereby restoring cosmic balance.

My Take:

Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds headline this supernatural action-adventure as two cops dispatched by the “on high” Rest In Peace Department to protect and serve the living from an increasingly destructive array of judgment escaping souls (known as “Deados”) who refuse to move peacefully to the other side. Veteran sheriff Roy Pulsifer (Bridges) has spent his career with the R.I.P.D. tracking down and bringing to justice these monstrous spirits who are cleverly disguised as and living among the ordinary people of Earth. Once the wise-cracking Roy is assigned former rising-star and new R.I.P.D detective Nick Walker (Reynolds) as his junior officer, the new partners have to turn grudging respect into top-notch teamwork. When they uncover a plot that could end life as we know it, two of R.I.P.D.'s finest must miraculously restore the cosmic balance...or watch the tunnel to the afterlife begin sending angry souls the very wrong way.

Based on Dark Horse comic by Peter M. Lenkov R.I.P.D borrows heavily from films like Ghostbusters and Men in Black, but suffers from a patchy, paint by the numbers script that fails to blend quality laughs with engagingly fun action/adventure. It’s not all bad though. I am a fan of both Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds who do well together at handling the goofy situational moments and conventional antics. The remaining members of the cast are just fine in their respective supporting roles also. The production elements are what you would expect from a newer film and are decent. R.I.P.D. was converted to 3D for its theatrical release. I received the 3D version for review after completion of this one and posted it separately. You can read that review here:

R.I.P.D Official 3D Blu-ray Review

At the end of the day R.I.P.D. is a derivative and lackluster buddy/sci-fi/action-adventure flick that probably won’t make it into the favorites list of genre fans but isn’t completely without merit especially if expectations are kept low and you happen to like the headliners in the cast.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, sci-fi fantasy action, some sensuality, and language including sex references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

R.I.P.D. comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This is a great looking high definition presentation from Universal. Detail is exemplary as images look clean, sharp, three dimensional and lifelike. I never felt that the video was lacking in terms of depth or the perception of visible detail within the structure of objects or people onscreen. Colors are cleanly reproduced with eye catching primaries and pleasing secondary hues. Fleshtones appear natural with complexional variation and subtle texture that varies among the differing skin types of the cast members. Blacks are gradational, fairly deep and exhibit good dynamic range. Images are pristinely rendered and appear free of compression related artifacts.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix does a superb job rendering the film’s soundtrack. Dialogue has excellent intonation and clarity which allows even subtle changes in vocal pitch to be appreciable. This is a well balanced audio presentation that engages the entire system. Dynamic range is excellent and the soundstage has an open expression that allows its elements to extend well into the room. Rear channel activity is abundant as the film’s active elements provide an enriching level of immersion which is generated by a seamless sound field. The action is empowered by near field sound effects, and robust dynamics that energize the room. The LFE channel is frequently active and reproduces extended lower bass frequencies that hit hard and reward with palpably rich extension.

Bonus Features:

• Exclusive (HD) 2 alternate opening sequences

• Exclusive (HD) R.I.P.D. Motion Comics: Bringing the Avatars to life – 6 minute feature

• Exclusive (HD) Nick’s new Avatars – 1 minute run through of the other Avatars considered for Nick

• Exclusive (HD) Filming the other side – 6 minute featurette

• Exclusive (HD) Walking among us: Deados and Avatars – 7 minute featureette

• Exclusive (HD) Anatomy of a shootout – 8 minute featurette

• (HD) 4 deleted/alternate scenes

• (HD) Gag reel – 3 minutes

• (HD) Transferring R.I.P.D. – 8 minute making of featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on Dark Horse comic of the same name by Peter M. Lenkov R.I.P.D is a derivative and lackluster buddy/sci-fi/action-adventure flick that misses the mark. It’s not all bad and depending on your tolerance for stagy humor and conventional storytelling might just prove mildly entertaining. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring a solid high definition audio/video presentation and worthwhile supplemental material. If you’re curious toss it in your rental queue.

Here is the trailer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 557
I'll probably pick this up on a Black Friday sale, it is close enough that I can wait a few extra weeks.

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Maybe a Redbox rental, but definitely not a "buy".
post #4 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Ralph, thank you for another great review! This one looks like a rental for me.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I agree, a rental for me too.

Cal68

Cal68
post #6 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Thanks Ralph, this one kind of reminds me of Men In Black. Looks like something fun to watch one night at home. Im going to grab this one up for my blueray collection.

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #7 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Love these reviews. Thanks Ralph for the selfless watching and reviewing you do. I am sure a lot are fun and some, well not so much. For me, a redbox trip.

Alan in Boise

103 inch AT screen with 9.x playback. IB sub woofer system. Two manifolds with 2 15s and 2 12s. Line array with 2 15s. Running main channels with Minimus 7s. Have front wide and front hight and rear surrounds. Room is perfect size for smaller speakers like the Minimus speakers. Approx. 17x13x8. Tower speakers were taking up to much room.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Not a buy at all..................
Osirus23 likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

R.I.P.D. was converted to 3D for its theatrical release. I didn’t receive it for review on 3D Blu-ray but can’t help but wonder if a solid 3D presentation would make it a bit more entertaining.

Interesting comments. 3D is a consideration of the overall product it would seem...
post #10 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Interesting comments. 3D is a consideration of the overall product it would seem...

Greetings,

Not universally. In this case based on the film's elements and production the addition of the good 3D presentation could make it a bit more fun.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #11 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
HEY RALPH......THANKS AGAIN an many more. Just in case if a low response or post to a negative review dont take it personal. It is just we appreciate your time and efforts.

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>

post #12 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by awblackmon View Post

Love these reviews. Thanks Ralph for the selfless watching and reviewing you do. I am sure a lot are fun and some, well not so much. For me, a redbox trip.

Greetings,

Thanks awblackmon. Much appreciated... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #13 of 23 Old 10-22-2013, 12:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
yeah this movie was pretty horrible, when it hits the under $5 bin then maybe but until then yeah pass...

post #14 of 23 Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 41
to me this movie was just good clean fun. we all have different tastes. I think I am going to buy this one.
bulls likes this.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 12
A rental for me as well
post #16 of 23 Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
oh please. 2 stars for this but 4 for that Pacific Rim ?
this is a very watchable, ok and fun movie. guess i'll just stick to the A/V impressions from now on
post #17 of 23 Old 10-24-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

this is a very watchable, ok and fun movie. guess i'll just stick to the A/V impressions from now on

Giant robots and giant monsters are each worth one point. tongue.gif

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #18 of 23 Old 10-24-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

Greetings,

That is of course your prerogative. I am not sure if you actually read my comments (actually I rated it 2.5 not 2.0) but I didn't dislike R.I.P.D. My opinion is of course my own and I while I understand that opinions on films are subjective I find that many don't understand that which tends to result in posts like yours.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #19 of 23 Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

That is of course your prerogative. I am not sure if you actually read my comments (actually I rated it 2.5 not 2.0) but I didn't dislike R.I.P.D. My opinion is of course my own and I while I understand that opinions on films are subjective I find that many don't understand that which tends to result in posts like yours.

Regards,

I'm always dismayed when someone posts something that shows such disregard to others on this forum. Especially a someone whom always goes out of their way to post as fairly as possible, and is always completely considerate when dealing with others.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, why someone would fail to recognize that is beyond me. I don't post in this area very often, but I almost always agree with your reviews, and when I don't, I just chalk it up to subjective difference of opinion. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it would be unusual not to believe folks would have differing subjective views.

Just want to say I appreciate what you do, and hope you realize that the vast majority reading these reviews feel the same!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #20 of 23 Old 10-24-2013, 05:42 PM

Liked: 28
I just watched this 2 nights ago and Ralph's opinion is similar to mine. It was an okay movie. I didn't regret watching it, but I would never be tempted to watch it again. I generally like Ryan Reynolds, but Jeff Bridges' performance was the only redeeming quality of this movie. It's pretty devoid of any of the charm some of the MIB movies have and that franchise is what this movie is similar to in formula. I was pretty excited when I saw the trailer initially, too. It just never got better than that.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR818
Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Main Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RF-15 Wide (x2), RS-62II Surround (x2), SW-115 Subwoofer
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #21 of 23 Old 11-30-2013, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Greetings Ralph smile.gif

I'll put myself and the wife on the liked this one side, I admit not being to impressed with the previews but Bridges & Reynolds actually worked well together at keeping me laughing through out the movie. The plot did have a few holes but not enough to warrant me to dislike it in anyway and I agree 100% on the A/V assessment. Call me crazy but I kinda hope they'll do a second!

Thanks for the review wink.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #22 of 23 Old 11-30-2013, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Greetings Ralph smile.gif

I'll put myself and the wife on the liked this one side, I admit not being to impressed with the previews but Bridges & Reynolds actually worked well together at keeping me laughing through out the movie. The plot did have a few holes but not enough to warrant me to dislike it in anyway and I agree 100% on the A/V assessment. Call me crazy but I kinda hope they'll do a second!

Thanks for the review wink.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear it audiofan1! Thanks for sharing your impressions.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #23 of 23 Old 12-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
I just watched this a few days ago, prior to the holiday. For me, it was a good way to kill a bit of time, before the holiday madness set in. While I didn't dislike the movie, I can't say that it was one that truly pulled me in. I do recall chuckling at the trailer when I first saw it, but as others have mentioned, that was pretty much it. I think this movie was trying a little too hard to put a different spin on the MIB franchise, and came up a bit short.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
R I P D Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page