Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade, Salma Hayek, Maria Bello, Maya Rudolph, Nick Swardson, Steve Buscemi, Taylor Lautner
Directed by: Dennis Dugan
Music by: Rupert Gregson-Williams
Written by: Fred Wolf, Adam Sandler, Tim Herlihy
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 5, 2013

"Summer isn’t just for kids"

Film Synopsis:

The all-star comedy cast from "Grown Ups" returns with some exciting new additions! After moving his family back to his hometown to be with his friends and their kids, Lenny (Adam Sandler) finds out that between old bullies, new bullies, wild bus drivers, cops on skis and 400 costumed party crashers, sometimes crazy follows you.

My Take:

Lenny (Adam Sandler) has relocated his family back to the small town where he and his friends grew up. This time around, the grown ups are the ones learning lessons from their kids on a day notoriously full of surprises: the last day of school.

I found Grown ups to be silly and pallid but enjoyed some of the banter, oafish buffoonery and personal comradeship among the stars. Going into Grown ups 2 I didn’t expect anything more but didn’t figure on much less. Well much less comes in spades (no pun intended). My tolerance for idiocy when it comes to filmmaking runs pretty low. I don’t mind over the top as long as it comes with a decent foundation geared toward a conceivable thought process. Grown ups 2 not only lacks the foundation to serve as a platform for its inane absurdity but it does little more than play out like a monotonous series of exploitive skits each trying to one up the previous one.

The script which is co-written by Adam Sandler consists of nonsensical drivel that serves as the basis to setup the one note jokes and ridiculous situational banter/innuendo that run throughout. I sat there shaking my head as I watched Salma Hayek, Maria Bello, and Steve Buscemi partake in this ridiculous film. It almost seemed like Sandler, co-writers Fred Wolf, Tim Herlihy and director Dennis Dugan wanted to see just how vapid a film they could make (I am sure that wasn’t case but is just SEEMED that way). It was clear from the opening segment, which takes place in the Feder’s bedroom that expectations should be kept as low as possible but that didn’t help. I will admit that Grown ups 2 appears to be a film that was probably fun to make especially if you like the people that you are working with. As far as watching it goes? It wasn’t what I would consider funny and frankly it’s one of the worst films I have seen in quite some time.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for crude and suggestive content, language and partial nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Grown ups 2 comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

This is a solid high definition presentation that is indicative of a newer release film. Detail is readily apparent as images are firmly resolute with crisp edges, defining sharpness, and two dimensional depth that enhances dimension. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation and tonal warmth. The long range shots of the earth toned colors of the rolling hills and countryside look terrific. Fleshtones appear lifelike with natural tonality and complexional delineation among the cast. Contrast is boldly applied and blacks exhibit good dynamic range with discernable gradational highlights and excellent depth of field during low level scenes.

The lossless sound mix features definitive front channel separation and opulent clarity. Soundstage depth and imaging across the left, right and center channels is quite good. This enhances directional sounds and dialogue, allowing deep room penetration, high level perception of detail, and appropriate near field placement. The surround channels effectively extend the front soundstage by adding spatial ambience, directional pans and discrete sound placement. Dynamics and low frequency effects have solid weight where appropriate and resonate well in the room. The combination enhances the film’s active segments and results in a decent surround sound experience.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) 8 deleted scenes

• (HD) “Shaq and Dante: Police force” – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Look who stopped by – 4 minute featurette

• (HD) Mr. Spade’s wild ride – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) The Feder House – 1 minute featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Grown ups 2 is the follow up to 2010’s Grown ups and is a poorly conceived, uninspired and unfunny film that left me wondering aloud why it ever saw the light of day. It makes it way onto Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent (mastered in 4K) high definition video, rewarding lossless sound and a bland supplemental package that like the film offers little. Unless you happen to be a fan already this one is a pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 409
So Ralph, it sounds like you would highly suggest a blind buy?

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the review. I think I will skip this completely as I found the first pretty bad as well.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 19 Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Well... Salma Hayek does get persuaded by Jon Lovitz to bounce up and down in a leotard during Yoga class. So at least a minute of the movie is worth watching
post #4 of 19 Old 10-25-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262

Thanks for the warning Ralph. I love it when people save me from wasting money and time.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #5 of 19 Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I assumed that all the funny parts would be in the trailer and it sounds like they were. What passes as a comedy these days is pretty pathetic.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #6 of 19 Old 10-26-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
It's embarrassing that people flocked to see this piece of crap and a much more entertaining film like Pacific Rim was waiting with arms wide open.

I'm actually a fan of several of these guys, but the first one was AWFUL. I was shocked that these guys were willing to deliver 90% of their lines...whoever wrote that mailed it in.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

What passes as a comedy these days is pretty pathetic.

This is unfortunately true. What ever happened to actually making a joke in a comedy? I'd still rather re-watch a Mel Brooks/Zucker Bros movie every time
post #8 of 19 Old 10-28-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

This is unfortunately true. What ever happened to actually making a joke in a comedy? I'd still rather re-watch a Mel Brooks/Zucker Bros movie every time

I'm with you. At one point I'd thought I lost my sense of humor but then discovered "The Big Bang Theory" and laugh my ass off every episode!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #9 of 19 Old 11-08-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 568
crap .. my wife just called and informed me "Honey, I just picked up Grown Ups II at the Redbox so we can have a nice movie night .. " ..

So, I decided to check out Ralph's take .. another 101 minutes of my life I'll never get back .. eek.gif

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #10 of 19 Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

crap .. my wife just called and informed me "Honey, I just picked up Grown Ups II at the Redbox so we can have a nice movie night .. " ..

So, I decided to check out Ralph's take .. another 101 minutes of my life I'll never get back .. eek.gif

LOL
post #11 of 19 Old 11-09-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I have nothing I could possibly add to the review and comments that follow ! Tell no one I saw the movie, in fact, I was never here biggrin.gif
post #12 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Now, I don't want anyone hazing me but I left my brain at the door and my expectations were really low, and fired it up. I got a kick out of it and LOL plenty of times. Stupid, but like I said.....enjoyed it. And no, I don't drink nor get buzzed, so don't even suggest it. smile.gif I guess it doesn't take much to humor me, thankfully.
post #13 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepen View Post

Now, I don't want anyone hazing me but I left my brain at the door and my expectations were really low, and fired it up. I got a kick out of it and LOL plenty of times. Stupid, but like I said.....enjoyed it. And no, I don't drink nor get buzzed, so don't even suggest it. smile.gif I guess it doesn't take much to humor me, thankfully.

That's usually how I am, too...and I've loved pretty much every Sandler move he's ever made....same with Schneider, the pudgy guy, and the rest of em.

Did you see the first one? Did you laugh at that one, too?
post #14 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

That's usually how I am, too...and I've loved pretty much every Sandler move he's ever made....same with Schneider, the pudgy guy, and the rest of em.

Did you see the first one? Did you laugh at that one, too?

Yes I did, and yes. smile.gif I am an old man (in this forum at least) and have seen it all, and I really enjoy the goofy Sandler films. Loved Shaq btw.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

Greetings,

biggrin.gif

No hazing allowed Sepen. wink.gif

Thanks for chiming in and I am glad that you enjoyed this one more than I did.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #16 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I did, and yes. smile.gif I am an old man (in this forum at least) and have seen it all, and I really enjoy the goofy Sandler films. Loved Shaq btw.

You're from Rochester, eh? I'm an HF-L grad...class of 1990. Lots of great memories from living there...and some of the craziest stories of my 41 years had to do with visits to Nick Tahoes back in the 90s lol. Good times smile.gif

As for the movie, I'm afraid to watch it, but when it hits cable I'm gonna at least give it a shot...it's funny cause I thought "That's My Boy" was hilarious...and like I said above, pretty much everything Sandler and these guys have ever done has entertained the heck outta me...I'm so torn!! haha
post #17 of 19 Old 11-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

You're from Rochester, eh? I'm an HF-L grad...class of 1990. Lots of great memories from living there...and some of the craziest stories of my 41 years had to do with visits to Nick Tahoes back in the 90s lol. Good times smile.gif

As for the movie, I'm afraid to watch it, but when it hits cable I'm gonna at least give it a shot...it's funny cause I thought "That's My Boy" was hilarious...and like I said above, pretty much everything Sandler and these guys have ever done has entertained the heck outta me...I'm so torn!! haha

Ah, Nick Tahoes....my father started working at the original one on Main St in 1927 when he was 10, making a dime and a potato a day. I liked Thats my Boy too! Haha. I am in Henrietta, about 10 -15 from where you went to school. Must have been something in those Garbage Plates...... smile.gif Cheers!
post #18 of 19 Old 11-13-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, Nick Tahoes....my father started working at the original one on Main St in 1927 when he was 10, making a dime and a potato a day. I liked Thats my Boy too! Haha. I am in Henrietta, about 10 -15 from where you went to school. Must have been something in those Garbage Plates...... smile.gif Cheers!

Wow, I used to live in Henrietta lol...do you remember where Tony Romas used to be? (I think I heard it's not there anymore.) I worked there in the early 90s and I lived in an apartment about 5mi away (toward Lima)

That's so awesome that your dad did that...holy crap lol
post #19 of 19 Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This movie is a sure bet for best movie in the Razie awards! I watched tonight and the only good thing was in terms of the video and sound...it is too bad that this thing passes for comedy...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Grown Ups 2 Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page