Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Martial Arts/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): Cantonese/English (dubbed) DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English
Starring: Anthony Wong, Gillian Chung, Eric Tsang, Marvel Chow, Zhou Chuchu, Timmy Hung
Directed by: Herman Yau
Music by: Brother Hung
Written by: Erica Li
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 12, 2013

"An extraordinary life. An epic conclusion."

Film Synopsis:

In postwar Hong Kong, legendary Wing Chun grandmaster Ip Man is reluctantly called into action once more. What began as simple challenges from rival kung fu schools soon finds him drawn into the dark and dangerous underworld of the Triads. Now, to defend life and honor, Ip Man has no choice but to fight - one last time…

My Take:

Ip Man: The final fight depicts the legendary grand master’s later life in Hong Kong as he struggles against the vicissitudes of life: his association with a young singer after his wife’s death (against the wishes of his disciples); his relationship with his elder son; and his thoughts on Bruce Lee, who would become his most celebrated student. Directed by Herman Yau is a martial arts/dramatic film based on the life of Ip Man (Anthony Wong), the grandmaster of Wing Chun and later teacher and mentor to widely influential and legendary martial artist, Bruce Lee.

The story begins in 1949 as Ip Man, who has been suffering from chronic stomach/gastric problems, travels alone to Hong Kong to seek new means of livelihood. He begins teaching Wing Chun to a small group of students belonging to a local hotel staff. This eventually expands but he remains close to the original group, among them, Tang Shing, Leung Sheung, Lee King and Chan Sei-mui. During that period of time, Ip Man's wife Cheung Wing-sing also comes to Hong Kong to join her husband, with the expectation of bringing their son soon after, life in Hong Kong proves hard prompting her to Foshan. The couple never saw each other again.

Post war life in Hong Kong placed financial burdens on many which included Master Ip’s students. The criminal element in the inner city, run by a dictator known as “Dragon”, profited by holding brutal kung fu matches and illegal gambling among other things. Unfortunately the allure of money drew in several of Master Ip’s students but when one of them became the target of a murderous gambling scheme Master Ip stepped in to put things right.

I enjoyed this film. The script/screenplay blends elements of martial arts action and drama with spot on pacing that makes it entertaining. Taking place in Ip Man’s later years (through to his death) the narrative has a bit less of a spark than the first two Ip Man films but works well enough nonetheless. The martial arts choreography is what you would expect and is fun to watch. Anthony Wong committed himself to the portrayal of Master Ip and that definitely came across in his performance. Genre fans are sure to appreciate this entertaining and fitting tribute to the Grand Master of Wing Chun, Master Ip.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for martial arts violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Ip Man: The final fight comes to Blu-ray Disc from Well Go USA Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.3 Mbps.

This film has a stylized visual design that utilizes a muted chromatic scheme that works aesthetically well for the film’s theme and setting. The color range is limited to shades of gray, black and sepia with splashes of crimson and pale secondary hues. Warm golden accents are used here and there to break up the film’s monochromatic essence. Fleshtones hold up nicely and don’t appear unnatural. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is boldly applied which empowers whites with minimal effects on detail and the reproduction of gray tones. Resolution is discerning as the video is cleanly rendered with appreciable refinement and delineation that enhances depth as it reveals fine detail in objects, clothing, and physical features. Blacks aren’t inky but appear punchy when onscreen with mixed light/dark elements. The end result is a satisfying high definition video presentation.

The available audio options on this release are Cantonese and English (dubbed), DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio lossless soundtracks. The default option is the Cantonese track which is I used during my evaluation. The lossless mix delivers the soundtrack’s elements with aplomb. Dynamic range is extended which renders the film’s action based sequences with definitive impact and energy. Dialogue is presented with clear intonation and average room penetration. The sounds of breaking objects, hand to hand combat, and Brother Hung’s orchestrated music is reproduced with sparkling clarity. Imaging across the front soundstage is excellent as sounds are integrated with precision. At times this is an involving surround mix that utilizes the entire system where appropriate. During the fight sequences the listening position is actively engaged by a mixture of spatial and localizable sound effects that place the listener in the heart of the action. Low frequency detail is clean, well articulated and sometimes authoritative. This isn’t a bombastic or overly aggressive soundtrack but it gets the job done and sounds quite good in the process.
* CIH users should note that the subtitles appear within the picture area.*

Bonus Features:

• (HD) “Making of “ Featurette – A series of brief production features totaling 9 minutes

• (HD) Cast & Crew Interviews:
    1. Checkley Sin, Producer
    2. Marvel Chow, Wang Dong
    3. Liu Kai-chi, Lee Yiu-wah
    4. Eric Tsang, Ng Chung
    5. Li Chung-chi, Action Choreographer
    6. Xiong Xin-xin, Dragon Head
    7. Wong Cho-lam, Blind Chan
    8. Anita Yuen, Cheung Wing-sing
    9. Gillian Chung, Chan Sei-mui
    10. Jordan Chan, Tang Shing
    11. Anthony Wong, Ip Man
    12. Trailers: International/USM/li>

Final Thoughts:

Ip Man: The final fight makes for a solid companion to the Ip Man film series and is a fairly entertaining and fitting tribute to its subject. This single disc edition comes to Blu-ray including a technically strong presentation that features excellent audio/video quality and a middling set of bonus material that looks behind the scenes at the production. If you’re a fan this Blu-ray release from Well Go USA is worth considering for inclusion in your video collection.

Here is the trailer (it is in Cantonese)

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 10:42 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Ralph, I very much appreciate the heads up and review on this as I had no idea there was a 4th IP Man film! I really enjoyed IP Man 1 and 2 (the blatant Rocky 4 rip-off in IP Man 2 was great tongue.gif ) and while part 3 was not quite up to the first two IMO, it was still a great watch if you are a fan of those. Really looking forward to checking this out! cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Ralph, I very much appreciate the heads up and review on this as I had no idea there was a 4th IP Man film! I really enjoyed IP Man 1 and 2 (the blatant Rocky 4 rip-off in IP Man 2 was great tongue.gif ) and while part 3 was not quite up to the first two IMO, it was still a great watch if you are a fan of those. Really looking forward to checking this out! cool.gif

Greetings,

You're very welcome Todd... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Hmm! I still need to watch IPMan 2, good to see them follow through to the last one. I'm looking forward to finishing these wink.gif

Thanks Ralph smile.gif
post #5 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
FYI.. This is not a sequel to IP Man and Ip Man 2. Different directors, and actors and company as well. However, this one also receive quite good review among HK locals.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Toe -Which one is 3? - IP 1 and 2 are great disc - can not find anything on IP3

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #7 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

Toe -Which one is 3? - IP 1 and 2 are great disc - can not find anything on IP3

The third one is a bit unrelated and would not technically be a 3rd I suppose as it does not star Donnie Yen (maybe different director as well?) like the first two (looks like this 4th one does not have Yen either), but it is still worth a watch and the actor playing IP Man actually has a very similar resemblance to Yen. I believe the third one is called 'The Legend is Born: IP Man'. Worth a rent if you liked the first two.

Edit: just checked and it looks like Wilson Yip was the director for the first two and Herman Yau did The Legend is Born: IP Man and IP Man: The Final Fight.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hopefully this movie will be pay emphasis on the story of Yip man as the films that stared Donnie Yen. Unfortunately many HK martial art films are going down the road making imagery important instead of the martial arts. I should say that the period piece films are taking that route. Take for instance some of Jet Li latest films... Being a huge fan of "Chop Socky" and "Chambara" films since the '70's, I was disappointed in terms of the actual physical performance of the later films compared to the earlier films like Fist of Legends and others that payed close attention to physical aspect of the film. Don't get me wrong... being movie fan I do enjoy the imagery, I wish these newer films would concentrate on both aspect. If I could chose one or the other it would be the physical aspect.

Another thing that is very annoying is all of the newer HK action films as well as the Japanese Chambara films, is the fact the industry now days look to use the "good looking, feminine looking guys playing lead roles" without having any martial arts training. OK... you might say that is the case with many of the actors, such as beauty queens becoming action stars.. i.e Michelle Yeoh, Moon Lee etc.. In the 90's they actual went through training which showed on the screen. Again... these days it's become use of the camera to make the actors look good.. aka the American way. What happen to the days when men playing the roles were masculine and have real martial arts training...I.E Wakayama Tomisaburo (Baby Cart series), Sonny Chiba, Yasuaki Kurata, Sammo Hung, Yuen Piu, Bruce Lee etc.

Ok..I went on a bit of a rant... And this is about the new Yip Man film... And Anthony Wong being a veteran HK actor, who doesn't have the physical prowess of Donnie Yen, but will bring role of an older Yip Man to life I am sure.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I recently saw this interesting chinese Wing Chun docu _
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXCZhXdebxU
post #10 of 22 Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Thanks Ralph! I love me some martial arts action and the IP movies always deliver. I'm definitely checking this one out. Great review as usual Ralph!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #11 of 22 Old 10-29-2013, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

I recently saw this interesting chinese Wing Chun docu _
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXCZhXdebxU

Interesting motivational video. Although I like the IP MAN movies, wing chung is pretty much a joke. Put two people together in a live match like boxing and MMA and it looks like a slaping contest with no power. From what I experienced anyways. My co-workers is working on becmoing a sifu, also no power, sloppy boxing skills and foot work. The training methods are awful, typically no strength training or heavy bag which is why most students are tiny and lack power. Most importantly, they don't train alive, meaning no human resistance training like BJJ, Judo, Boxing or wrestling employ. They live off marketing and the whole "mystique" like that youtube video.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Man I really liked IP man 1 and 2! I hope this one is worth watching. That sucks that they didnt use the same guy as the other ones, he played a good part.

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
post #13 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Im confused, Is IP man 3 the final fight the same as the granmaster or are they both different movies? When I search IP man 3 I keep getting 2 different results?

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #14 of 22 Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 41
IP Man 1 was the best. Then IP Man 2 was okay. I hope this one is as good as the first two.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I saw this on the airplane. In my opinion, after Donnie Yen decided not to do 3 and 4, the last 2 installments failed to deliver the "wow" factor typically seen in martial arts movies where he's in.

post #16 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 06:36 AM
L_T

Liked: 11
Ip Man 1 and 2 are the ones with Donnie Yen.

Ip Man 3 and 4 aren't called 3 and 4. The 3rd is a prequel that is why the 3rd movie movie is called Ip Man: A Legend is Born. The 4th movie in this review is about his later life hence the title Ip Man: The Final Fight.

The Grandmaster is the story of Ip Man by Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai shot over 5yrs. This is a more realistic portyal of Ip Man's life although most reviews don't seem to like the focus on other characters even though it is suppose to be a story about Ip Man.
post #17 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_T View Post

Ip Man 1 and 2 are the ones with Donnie Yen.

Ip Man 3 and 4 aren't called 3 and 4. The 3rd is a prequel that is why the 3rd movie movie is called Ip Man: A Legend is Born. The 4th movie in this review is about his later life hence the title Ip Man: The Final Fight.

The Grandmaster is the story of Ip Man by Hong Kong director Wong Kar Wai shot over 5yrs. This is a more realistic portyal of Ip Man's life although most reviews don't seem to like the focus on other characters even though it is suppose to be a story about Ip Man.

Man i got confused, so the final fight is the latest one and Grandmaster is another movie made about his life. I just got completely confused for a minute lol. The 1st and 2nd were awesome but after that i got lost about what the other movies were

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #18 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

Man i got confused, so the final fight is the latest one and Grandmaster is another movie made about his life. I just got completely confused for a minute lol. The 1st and 2nd were awesome but after that i got lost about what the other movies were

Yeah, the final fight is the latest one. Grandmaster, played by Tony Leung focuses more on martial arts in history from beginning to the end (at least in my opinion). It also had a weird romantic thing going on with Tony Leung - Ip Man and Zhang Ziyi - Gong Er. Correct me if I'm wrong.

post #19 of 22 Old 10-31-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intextra29 View Post

Yeah, the final fight is the latest one. Grandmaster, played by Tony Leung focuses more on martial arts in history from beginning to the end (at least in my opinion). It also had a weird romantic thing going on with Tony Leung - Ip Man and Zhang Ziyi - Gong Er. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cool, well since I got 1 and 2, i think ill grab the other ones to my collection. Never saw grandmaster in the store so ill just order it online and get the final fight from best buy when its released.

Dual PSA Triaxes!
post #20 of 22 Old 11-01-2013, 06:20 AM
L_T

Liked: 11
The US release of The Grandmaster has 30 minutes cut from the Chinese/International release. The Chinese version has a run time of 130minutes. Few people seem to be ok with the US release. But I would recommend getting International cut.

Zhang Ziyi early in her career was called little Gong Li. Both discovered by director Zhang Yimou.
post #21 of 22 Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Just watched this one last night. It was an OK movie on the whole. Another interesting addition to the recent spate of Ip Man movies. For those interested, I would say that this movie is more for folks interested in the story of Ip Man's (later) life as the MA wasn't quite as good as the others (albeit OK in a general sense).

As has been mentioned, there have been 5 Ip Man movies recently:
- Ip Man 1 and 2, starring Donnie Yen.
- The Legend is Born: Ip Man, starring Yu-Hang To (who coincidentally, was in Ip Man 2 as the gang member who gets in a street fight with one of Ip Man's students that leads to a confrontation with Sammo Hung's character).
- Ip Man: The Final Fight, starring Anthony Wong
- The Grandmaster, starring Tony Leung Chiu-Wai

The first 2 films are not connected to the latter 3.

Having been a fan of Donnie Yen since the '80's, I definitely like the first 2 movies. There was supposed to be a 3rd in the series, but that seems to have encountered some setbacks. The choreography in TLIB is also pretty good. I'm waiting to see The Grandmaster. although the US release date has been postponed and apparently, there are 3 cuts of this movie floating about (all official releases), and unlike shorter or longer edits, apparently, all 3 were edited/cut in different ways with different sections of the story being focused on in each version (confusing? Yep).

Max
Blackmambakila likes this.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-13-2013, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Just watched this one last night. It was an OK movie on the whole. Another interesting addition to the recent spate of Ip Man movies. For those interested, I would say that this movie is more for folks interested in the story of Ip Man's (later) life as the MA wasn't quite as good as the others (albeit OK in a general sense).

As has been mentioned, there have been 5 Ip Man movies recently:
- Ip Man 1 and 2, starring Donnie Yen.
- The Legend is Born: Ip Man, starring Yu-Hang To (who coincidentally, was in Ip Man 2 as the gang member who gets in a street fight with one of Ip Man's students that leads to a confrontation with Sammo Hung's character).
- Ip Man: The Final Fight, starring Anthony Wong
- The Grandmaster, starring Tony Leung Chiu-Wai

The first 2 films are not connected to the latter 3.

Having been a fan of Donnie Yen since the '80's, I definitely like the first 2 movies. There was supposed to be a 3rd in the series, but that seems to have encountered some setbacks. The choreography in TLIB is also pretty good. I'm waiting to see The Grandmaster. although the US release date has been postponed and apparently, there are 3 cuts of this movie floating about (all official releases), and unlike shorter or longer edits, apparently, all 3 were edited/cut in different ways with different sections of the story being focused on in each version (confusing? Yep).

Max

That's why I was so confused at first! I saw ip man 1 and 2, then some of the other ones that I saw titles for online seemed like I was seeing things! eek.gif Now I've got it figured out, just got the legend is born off ebay and can't wait to get the 2 new ones. One of the craziest, intense martial arts movies I've seen in recent days has been The Raid. Storyline sucks but the nonstop, realistic fight scenes scream Awesome!!

Dual PSA Triaxes!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Ip Man Collectors Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Ip by PriceGrabber.com