Man of Steel 3D/2D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #181 of 194 Old 01-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To update, I was able to fix my problem by replacing the thin HDMI cable I was connecting the DVD player to the tuner with a thicker one (not sure of the speed compliance, but the thinner one must not have been high-speed or 1.4, or whichever was not properly passing the 3D signal through) like the one coming from the tuner to the TV and it works fine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 194 Old 01-27-2014, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyray View Post

To update, I was able to fix my problem by replacing the thin HDMI cable I was connecting the DVD player to the tuner with a thicker one (not sure of the speed compliance, but the thinner one must not have been high-speed or 1.4, or whichever was not properly passing the 3D signal through) like the one coming from the tuner to the TV and it works fine now.

Thanks for the update and I'm glad that fix worked for you. Unfortunately, it has not worked for me. I purchased a new HDMI cable labeled 3D/1.4 compliant, it is now connected directly from my OPPO BDP-93 3D Blu-ray player to my LG 3D flat screen with nothing in between and I am still getting the "does not recognize a 3D monitor, click here to choose the 2D version" notice when I try to watch a 3D movie. Consequently, I'm still watching 3D from the 2D versions converted to 3D, which, as I've said, I suspect is not as good as watching the intended 3D version. It is still a mystery to me why my OPPO is not recognizing my LG 3D tv as a 3D monitor...
post #183 of 194 Old 03-07-2014, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I noticed nobody mentioning the IMAX edition of this movie. Back in the summer of 2013 I watched MoS a couple of times in the theaters and clearly remember the IMAX version having very clean video track (no grainy parts, e.g., the sky when Kal-El's shuttle is flying over Earth after destruction of Krypton). Also, the 16:10 ratio made it very immersing, everything seemed huge and larger than life. But what I remember the most is the spectacular Hans Zimmer soundtrack, which my brain refuses to stop playing over and over again. Music in the IMAX version was shaking the chairs and I remember my hands being sweaty from constant excitement. I've read many complaints about the repeating Zod theme being played over and over, but for me those were the best parts as the sound was very intense and engaging. Imagine my disappointment when I watched those same scenes in other theaters and back home. Grainy image, 21:9 aspect ratio with subtle music and limp sound effects. I thought, ok well maybe other theaters can't measure with audio power and video quality of IMAX theaters nor do they have their remastered version of the movie. However, after I purchased the 2D/3D bluray I expected that reasonably they would put the better enhanced version on the disc, but it soon it became very apparent that this was the regular theater version. No matter how far I pushed my receiver, I still couldn't bring that same excitement and powerful sound, or repair the grainy 21:9 image. So I just made peace with myself that I would never relive those moments again.

It surprises me nobody mentioned this. I felt obligated to leave some remarks, even though it's almost a year since this movie was first shown, because watching the IMAX version left me completely speechless both times. I was really hoping for an IMAX bluray edition, expecting to experience the same sound dynamics and image quality, but apparently I'm out of luck. frown.gif
post #184 of 194 Old 03-07-2014, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Interesting, highd3f. My Blu-ray 3D copy produces very powerful sound. In fact, it's one of those few honey-can-you-turn-it-a-bit-down movies we own, and for me it is nothing short of awesome. On the other hand, my IMAX 3D experience was image-wise just as "grainy," I mean, not really grainy just artistic choice and I actually like the look a lot (both as I remember it IMAX 3D and at home) and, well, I understand the original aspect ratio for this movie is actually 21:9 they just adjust it somehow for an IMAX screen, and, once again, I do like it even when I'm sometimes more in favor of movies being (originally) shot 16:9 whether it be partially (TRON: Legacy 3D, The Dark Knight) or totally (Avatar 3D). All I can say is I am very pleased with my version of the Blu-ray 3D.

FYI, I got the metal "(It's not an) S" case with acrylic stand, set which includes 4 discs: 3D feature BD, 2D feature/extras BD, 2D (more) extras BD, 2D DVD. My copy was licensed to be sold in Mexico, where I reside. I realize you're in Croatia, you might want to check your version of Man Of Steel. I have had a couple of bad experiences regarding Blu-ray copies sold in Mexico, athough generally speaking they are almost always the same kick-a$$ quality as anywhere else...
post #185 of 194 Old 03-07-2014, 08:17 AM

Liked: 42
The second time I watched MoS in IMAX, I remember very vividly that the picture was smooth, which made the movie look polished and shiny. I don't usually mind grainy image, but for this movie it kind of made it seem cheap. Then again, for some movies grainy really works. I know there are digital and analog IMAX theaters. Over here we have the digital one, so maybe that's the difference.

Anyway, here's the scene I was referring to. Unfortunately, PowerDVD doesn't allow taking snapshots, so it looks even worse than it already is. This particular scene was super smooth in IMAX, like a beautiful photography shot. I remembered it so well and paid close attention when I watched it in other theaters and then back in IMAX.

As far as audio is concerned, I think music sounds better when I play it from the original soundtrack CD than from the bluray disc. Like I said, in IMAX music was very dominant and louder than ambient sounds. On bluray it's pushed back, toned down, passive. Clearly, far from remastered IMAX version that I watched twice.

Either way, obviously nobody noticed it or didn't really care much about it. I just wanted to share this information and was curious if any MoS fans were disappointed with bluray quality after experiencing this movie in IMAX. It just saddens me knowing that I will never see it as the director intended. I'm a big fan of the movie and even bigger fan of the incredible Hans Zimmer soundtrack. Seriously, those drums do not go out of my head. I might be crazy before my 30's biggrin.gif
post #186 of 194 Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f View Post

The second time I watched MoS in IMAX, I remember very vividly that the picture was smooth, which made the movie look polished and shiny. I don't usually mind grainy image, but for this movie it kind of made it seem cheap. Then again, for some movies grainy really works. I know there are digital and analog IMAX theaters. Over here we have the digital one, so maybe that's the difference.

Anyway, here's the scene I was referring to. Unfortunately, PowerDVD doesn't allow taking snapshots, so it looks even worse than it already is. This particular scene was super smooth in IMAX, like a beautiful photography shot. I remembered it so well and paid close attention when I watched it in other theaters and then back in IMAX.

As far as audio is concerned, I think music sounds better when I play it from the original soundtrack CD than from the bluray disc. Like I said, in IMAX music was very dominant and louder than ambient sounds. On bluray it's pushed back, toned down, passive. Clearly, far from remastered IMAX version that I watched twice.

Either way, obviously nobody noticed it or didn't really care much about it. I just wanted to share this information and was curious if any MoS fans were disappointed with bluray quality after experiencing this movie in IMAX. It just saddens me knowing that I will never see it as the director intended. I'm a big fan of the movie and even bigger fan of the incredible Hans Zimmer soundtrack. Seriously, those drums do not go out of my head. I might be crazy before my 30's biggrin.gif

OR I may be crazy in my early 40's! I do love that score too. I'll give you this, you've had plenty to compare against, and I only went to one theatrical showing of MoS, so I am in no way able to argue against your findings and am truly sorry your private viewing experience isn't up to par. frown.gif
post #187 of 194 Old 03-12-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thought the effects were insane, and did really enjoy it.
But can understand why some didnt, it occasionally seamed more full on than it needed to be.
Did feel they needed to differentiate from the other superman films, and having a slightly less environment concious superman definitely did that!)

post #188 of 194 Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
It's in real time, there's no clipping at the master level. Only if your amplifier has no headroom at reference level you may encounter problems.
Anyway, I wasn't expecting apologists of the dynamic range compression, even if as slightly as in this track. Mind you, I'm not stating the audio sucks, but it's totally not a 100 because it doesn't retain the original peak levels.
I have to correct myself on my statement about Man of Steel's supposedely -3dB limit. It only happens when downmixing from 7.1 to a lesser system. I have the DTS Master Suite and in the downmix section for the DTS-HD MA 7.1, the 5.1 has a -3dB attenuation. That means that when you play a 7.1 track on a 5.1 system you always have to adjust the volume by 3dB.
Ralph is right. It's a 100 score.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #189 of 194 Old 08-02-2014, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by luca_frontino View Post
I have to correct myself on my statement about Man of Steel's supposedely -3dB limit. It only happens when downmixing from 7.1 to a lesser system. I have the DTS Master Suite and in the downmix section for the DTS-HD MA 7.1, the 5.1 has a -3dB attenuation. That means that when you play a 7.1 track on a 5.1 system you always have to adjust the volume by 3dB.
Ralph is right. It's a 100 score.
Greetings,

Thanks for following up and I am glad you are happy with the soundtrack.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #190 of 194 Old 08-02-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 232
The movie should have been called: "Man of Teal"

- Rich
Ralph Potts likes this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #191 of 194 Old 08-06-2014, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The movie was Superman in a different style and point of view, but it ultimately devolved into mindless, cartoonish action.
post #192 of 194 Old 08-06-2014, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
That's all I can remember SuperMan ever being... keep in mind, that except his heat-vision and ice breath, all he can really do is fly and beat crap down really badly.. he's a brawler.. tossing people and things at superhuman speeds and strength.

Even the old 1940s Superman cartoons were just the Man of Steel bashing and beating on baddies.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #193 of 194 Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I should have added, Michael Bay style of mindless, cartoonish action. The last act was out of character with all that preceded it.
post #194 of 194 Old 08-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post
I should have added, Michael Bay style of mindless, cartoonish action. The last act was out of character with all that preceded it.
Not really, the last act was awesome just like the rest of the movie.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page