Studio and Year: Warner – 2013
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 110/119 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jason Sudekis, Jennifer Anniston, Emma Roberts, Ed Helms, Nick Offerman, Kathryn Hahn, Will Poulter
Directed by: Rawson Marshall Thurber
Music by: Theodore Shapiro
Written by: Bob Fisher, Steve Farber, Sean Anders, John Morris
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 19, 2013

"- If anyone asks…"

Film Synopsis:

David Burke (Sudeikis) is a small-time pot dealer whose clientele includes chefs and soccer moms, but no kids—after all, he has his scruples. After his stash and his cash are stolen, leaving him in major debt to his supplier, Brad (Ed Helms), he must become a big-time drug smuggler by bringing Brad’s latest shipment in from Mexico. One fake wife, two pretend kids and a huge, shiny RV later, the “Millers” are headed south of the border for a Fourth of July weekend that is sure to end with a bang.

My Take:

David Burke (Jason Sudeikis) is a small-time pot dealer whose clientele includes chefs and soccer moms, but no kids-after all, he has his scruples. So what could go wrong? Plenty. Preferring to keep a low profile for obvious reasons, he learns the hard way that no good deed goes unpunished when he tries to help out some local teens and winds up getting jumped by a trio of gutter punks. Stealing his stash and his cash, they leave him in major debt to his supplier, Brad (Ed Helms). In order to wipe the slate clean-and maintain a clean bill of health-David must now become a big-time drug smuggler by bringing Brad's latest shipment in from Mexico. Twisting the arms of his neighbors, cynical stripper Rose (Jennifer Aniston) and wannabe customer Kenny (Will Poulter), and the tatted-and-pierced streetwise teen Casey (Emma Roberts), he devises a foolproof plan. One fake wife, two pretend kids and a huge, shiny RV later, the "Millers" are headed south of the border for a Fourth of July weekend that is sure to end with a bang.

I rarely venture out to the theater to see comedies. When We’re the Millers came out my wife and son convinced me to go. We are Jason Sudekis from his SNL days and the trailer which featured Jennifer Aniston as a stripper (?) was enough to lure me out to see what it was all about. Okay let’s face it just based on the subject matter it’s clearly evident that this isn’t texturally rich filmmaking. It’s solely crafted to combine crassness with witty dialogue in a fish out of water tale geared at tickling the funny bones of those that don’t mind a little stupid funny mixed with over the top situational humor and the sex appeal of the still very hot Jennifer Aniston.

I went into my first viewing with low expectations and have to say that I found We’re the Millers to be laugh out loud funny. I found its breezy humor and kooky character interplay to be spot on. Jason Sedukis’ straight faced punch line delivery cracked me up. The chemistry shared among the four principles in Sedukis, Aniston, Roberts and the scene stealing Will Poulter is probably what I enjoyed most. Its predictability never overtly interfered and its political incorrectness and crass edge never felt excessive simply for the sake of it. Yes the script is rather trite but It’s a silly, outrageous, let your hair down road trip flick that capitalizes on a solid cast. This second viewing didn’t prove as laugh out loud funny but I still found myself chuckling and giggling along the way. We’re the Millers is a hoot.

Warner has included both the theatrical and extended cut (which I watched during my evaluation), the latter adding an additional 9 minutes of footage. You can’t go wrong with either.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for crude sexual content, pervasive language, drug material and brief graphic nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

We’re the Millers comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

High definition detail is notable as images are firmly resolved, with defining sharpness and gratifying dimension. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation tonal warmth and vibrant textures. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Contrast is well balanced which enriches both light and dark onscreen elements. I found this to be a pristine rendering that looked great on my big screen.

The lossless soundtrack doesn’t consistently engage the entire surround platform however it has moments where it energizes the room and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. There are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. This comes in the form of low frequency effects, atmospheric ambience/directional sounds and musical enhancement. This soundtrack isn’t demonstration worthy but for a comedy it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn’t leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Millers unleashed – outtake overload – 7 minutes

• (HD) Extreme Aniston – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) The Miller make-overs – 3 minute featurette

• (HD) Road trippin’ with the Millers – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Don’t suck venom – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Get out of a sticky situation – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) I am Pablo Chacon – 1 minute feature

• (HD) Rollin’ in the RV – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Living it up with “Brad” – 3 minute featurette

• (HD) When paranoia sets in – 3 minute featurette

• (HD) Deleted scenes – 16 minutes

• (HD) Gags & more outtakes – 3 minutes

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

We’re the Millers doesn’t break new ground conceptually speaking but it makes the most of its cast and provides enough crass, politically incorrect, and at times laugh out loud situations to keep me entertained throughout. It makes its debut on Blu-ray in this Extended Cut Combo Pack that includes two versions of the film, excellent high definition audio/video and a middling supplemental package that is highlighted by a behind the scenes look at the numerous/alternate takes/outtakes on several of the funniest moments. When you’re in the mood for a comedy We’re the Millers is a safe bet so be sure to move it to the top of your rental queue.

Here is the trailer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Taranteacher likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Thanks for the review Ralph! At first I wasn't all that interested in this but then I saw the second trailer for the film and I was intrigued. I have it on my next to watch list, so long as my wife doesn't win out with Seven Psychopaths (which I also want to see.) I had her sit through Fast and Furious 6 so I should concede to her :P

I have to say though, and I think I'm in the minority....I never did find Jennifer Anniston all that attractive or very entertaining. With good costars however, she does better so hopefully We're the Millers tickles the funny bone.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

I have to say though, and I think I'm in the minority....I never did find Jennifer Anniston all that attractive or very entertaining.

Man, you must have some super redonkulous high standards! wink.gif
Old 11-11-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Ralph, thank you for the review! This definitely sounds funny and I'm going to rent this one.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ralph,

Your review is spot on. This was the first movie that I saw in a theater in a couple of years. It was the only one playing at the Cinepolis the night we had a babysitter that looked remotely interesting. We did not go in with very high expectations, but ended up laughing out loud. The interactions with the "daughter's" love interests were particularly funny.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Man, you must have some super redonkulous high standards! wink.gif

+1, she's had me since the first year of Friends in '94. I was like 10 at the time but that never stopped me. rolleyes.gif

Went ahead and pre-ordered it, I'm thinking this will be a 8 or 9 for me.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedirun View Post

Ralph,

Your review is spot on. This was the first movie that I saw in a theater in a couple of years. It was the only one playing at the Cinepolis the night we had a babysitter that looked remotely interesting. We did not go in with very high expectations, but ended up laughing out loud. The interactions with the "daughter's" love interests were particularly funny.
So you have no regrets whatsoever about watching this film? biggrin.gif

Looking forward to release day for this

Max
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Max
None at all. My wife and I still quote lines from the movie. It was hilarious.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Ralph,

I know what your sayin' ;-)
Old 11-14-2013, 04:27 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Cant wait to pick this up Ralph thanks for the review.

Frank
Old 11-14-2013, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Max
I can't believe I didn't catch this reference the first time I read it. I am an idiot.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:

Quote:

Max
I can't believe I didn't catch this reference the first time I read it. I am an idiot.
LOL, I was wondering if you'd catch it. It's one of the things in the trailers that caught my attention.

Max
Old 12-04-2013, 05:00 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I thought this was great, very funny!!

Frank
Old 12-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Mrs Done Deal and I really enjoyed it!

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Old 12-09-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Greetings,

Glad to hear it Frank and Done Deal... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 01-14-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36
So I forgot to post my thoughts in here after watching this movie. I watched it not long after my post about Jennifer Anniston and at first I wasn't sure if the movie was going to be that good. I chuckled a couple of times at the beginning but nothing really grabbed me. My wife and I were both wondering how it was going to end up. Man this movie did not disappoint! We both thought it was hilarious and really found it's footing about 15-20 minutes in.

Tags
Were The Millers Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread - Bdt310 by PriceGrabber.com