Studio and Year: Disney - 2013
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 91 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French DTS-HD High Resolution, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Voices: Dane Cook, Stacey Keach, Brad Garrett, Julia Louie-Dreyfuss, Teri Hatcher, John Cleese, Priyanka Chopra, Roger Craig Smith, Sinbad, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards
Directed by: Klay Hall
Music by: Mark Mancina
Written by: Jeffrey M. Howard
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 19, 2013

"From above the world of Cars"

Film Synopsis:

The world of Cars takes flight in Planes, Disney's high-flying animated comedy revved up with action and adventure. Join Dusty, a crop duster with sky-high dreams and a once-in-a-lifetime chance to take on the world's fastest flyers in the greatest air race ever. Dusty has a huge heart but two big problems...he's not exactly built for speed, plus he's afraid of heights. His courage is put to the ultimate test as this unlikely hero aims higher than he ever imagined. With a little help from his friends, Dusty finds the courage to be more than he was built for—and the inspiration to soar.

My Take:

Planes tells a “little engine that could” type story about a crop duster named Dusty who has big dreams and plenty of heart but isn’t exactly cut out for the challenges associated with fulfilling his passion of entering and winning the Wings across the globe race. With the help and support of close friends Chug, Dottie and grumpy ex-flying ace Skipper Dusty qualifies and enters the great race facing off against the worlds best, including three time winner Ripslinger who is determined to make it four wins in a row. After struggling in the early legs of the competition Dusty’s heart and sense of fair play begin to win over the crowd along with new found friends El Chu, Bulldog and Ashani. Little does he know that the biggest challenge lies ahead, the end of which will give him a new outlook on friendship and life.

Planes is produced by DisneyToon Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is a spin-off of Pixar's Cars franchise. Although not produced by Pixar, the film was co-written and executive produced by Pixar's chief creative officer John Lasseter, (who directed the Cars).I am most definitely a fan of Disney animated films but there wasn’t enough about Planes to lure me out to see it in the theater. I heard positive things from those that did so I eagerly awaited its release on Blu-ray. I found Planes to be mildly entertaining and fun but not among the best animated films to come from Disney. The inspirational storyline along with the plethora of cute/quirky characters felt very been there and done that. Despite that the striking of the familiar heartwarming chords and schmaltzy themes made it enjoyable.

As with other Disney films, it successfully speaks from a familial (sort of) perspective, that eschews generational boundaries. I liked the action and the cast does a splendid job of handling their respective roles. On top of that Planes is a great looking animated film. It doesn’t resonate as deeply as the classic Disney films that have come before it but younger audiences are sure to appreciate its merits.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some mild action and rude humor.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 88

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Planes 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.8 Mbps.

This is a rewarding 3D presentation that features few examples of overtly gimmicky effects but emphasizes excellent depth and dimension. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects and characters layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. Fidelity appears intact as the film’s color, rich contrast and stable blacks are beautifully rendered and natural. Comparing this to the 2D version in terms of the rendering of detail, chromatic reproduction and contrast I found them to identical. I didn’t notice any distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk or 3D related anomalies and thought it looked terrific.

Disney provides a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 channel surround mix which compliments the film’s recorded elements quite nicely. This was a well balanced presentation that features high level detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, bass and music with discretely placed effects and atmospherics that utilize the entire soundstage. This isn’t a dynamically enhanced mix but bass response is palpably discerning and appropriate in support of the soundtrack. The audio is crystal clear, free of the edginess and has a polished appeal enriches the listening experience.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Planes comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps.

This is a pristine and reference quality high definition presentation from Disney. The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the film’s animated subjects. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably dimensional. Fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture are clearly discernible. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. Colors are richly saturated, vibrant and beautifully rendered. Primaries are particularly vivid and exhibit visibly delineated stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Contrast is spot on as blacks are rich with deep highlights, whites and grays exhibit multi-layered depth and refined detail that give them excellent dimension.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D Blu-ray – Planes

• Disc 2:

• 2D Blu-ray – Planes (plus the following bonus features)

• Exclusive(HD) Franz’s Song - This never-before-seen completely finished animated song features the German mini-car, Franz Fliegenhosen, who encourages Dusty on his fligh – 3 minutes

• (HD) Klay’s Flight Plan - Follow Director Klay Hall’s personal journey during the making of “Planes” and discover why his family connection to aviation made “Planes” his perfect project. Fly along with Klay as he lands on a working aircraft carrier to get first-hand experience on the flight deck – 15 minutes

• (HD) 2 Deleted Scenes with introduction by Director Klay Hall and Producer Traci Balthazor-Flynn – 3 minutes

• (HD) Meet the Racers - Featurettes introducing racers: El Chupacabra, Ripslinger , Dusty, and Ishani.

• (HD) Top 10 Flyers ESPN’s Colin Cowherd hosts a fun, fast-paced countdown of the greatest aviators in history – 8 minutes

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Produced by DisneyToons Studios, Planes tells a “little engine that could” story about a crop duster named Dusty who has big dreams and plenty of heart. It features an inspirational storyline, a plethora of cute/quirky characters and heartwarming themes that feel all too familiar. It doesn’t resonate as deeply as the classic Disney films that have come before it. I suspect that younger audiences will get more enjoyment out it than their parents. It comes to Blu-ray from Disney in this 3D/2D/DVD Combo pack that features resplendent high definition picture quality and excellent DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio surround sound. The limited supplemental offering provides little for fans to sink their teeth into but is worth checking out. Planes has enough merit to warrant a purchase for fans or a rental for the kids on movie night.

Here is the trailer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 11-13-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 66
When even a Pixar movie can't nail 100's on video and audio (or right next to it), you know the film must not be that good.
post #3 of 36 Old 11-13-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

When even a Pixar movie can't nail 100's on video and audio (or right next to it), you know the film must not be that good.
Did you miss where Ralph said it's not produced by Pixar?

Thanks for the review Ralph. I never got a sense of this being a must watch when it was in theaters and your take on it confirms that this will likely be a rental only.

Max
RonAlam likes this.
post #4 of 36 Old 11-13-2013, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Hi Ralph
Thanks for the review mate will be definitely be picking this up.

Frank

post #5 of 36 Old 11-13-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

This was a well balanced presentation that features high level detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, bass and music with discretely placed effects and atmospherics that utilize the entire soundstage.
You ain't kidding about the discretely placed effects. Saw this in the theatres in Dolby Atmos. The sensation of planes flying above and around me was palpable. Hoping the 7.1 mix retains some of that aggressiveness.

Sanjay
post #6 of 36 Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 152
Thanks for the review Ralph. I actually really enjoyed this one in the theater with my wife. We thought it was a nice wholesome movie and all the kids in the theater were LOVING it so much. Afterwords they were pretending to be planes in the lobby. Cute stuff. Anyway Im gunna for sure pick this one up.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #7 of 36 Old 11-13-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Been there, done that? Perhaps. But I loved the scenes in India, a country which has not yet been animated in this way before, as far as I know. Some of the plot twists were not obviously predictable, either.
post #8 of 36 Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hi Ralph

Thanks, Ralph! Will be blind-getting this for my 5-yr-old! Let us know how it fared with you, Frank!
post #9 of 36 Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:

Hi Ralph

Greetings,

You're very welcome Frank. Be sure to post back once you have seen it.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #10 of 36 Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Thanks, Ralph! Will be blind-getting this for my 5-yr-old! Let us know how it fared with you, Frank!

Two almost-five year olds and their forty-something dads loved it. The kids had a few questions, but they learned some important lessons from the answers. I think I preferred this one to Cars, actually, but then again, I'm a huge aviation fan too.

Additional info: The kids were both girls.
Taranteacher likes this.
post #11 of 36 Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Two almost-five year olds and their forty-something dads loved it. The kids had a few questions, but they learned some important lessons from the answers. I think I preferred this one to Cars, actually, but then again, I'm a huge aviation fan too.

Additional info: The kids were both girls.

I definitly preferred this to Cars 2 and so did my wife.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #12 of 36 Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Did you miss where Ralph said it's not produced by Pixar?

Yes, I missed that. Thanks.

Movie still probably sucks though. tongue.gif
post #13 of 36 Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 12
This was a very good movie for the grandkids and maybe not that bad for the grand parents either. LOL
audiofan1 likes this.
post #14 of 36 Old 11-18-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 436
THANK you for the review, nice!

Santa Claus is bringing this to me, Lee & Jackson, my 7 year old twins.

Will I find La Scala, or better, to displace my La Scala fronts, before I displace my kg1, kg2 & kg3 with Heresy or better?

RED AND BLUE=MAROON!

post #15 of 36 Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
When can we expect Boats to hit theaters or home video? After that will be Trains I suppose? Does anyone feel Lawn Tractors would be a success?

biggrin.gif
David Susilo likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #16 of 36 Old 11-18-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

When can we expect Boats to hit theaters or home video? After that will be Trains I suppose? Does anyone feel Lawn Tractors would be a success?

biggrin.gif

Personally, I would skip Trains if I was Pixar. Can't do much unless you're on the tracks. I don't really see an inspiring story there, either.

Blimps would be nice, though.
David Susilo likes this.
post #17 of 36 Old 11-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

BLIMPS!!! Good call. smile.gif

post #18 of 36 Old 11-18-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

biggrin.gif

Trains has been done with Chuggington and Thomas the tank engine. We can count them out.

Boats maybe ?? Little tug boat trying to also compete ? biggrin.gif

Frank

post #19 of 36 Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Trains has been done with Chuggington and Thomas the tank engine. We can count them out.

Boats maybe ?? Little tug boat trying to also compete ? biggrin.gif

Good brainstorming Franin! tongue.gif

post #20 of 36 Old 11-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
I think I'll pick this up. Even if it isn't the best movie I'm sure my 2-year old son will like it, it may become he favorite movie. He just flew on a plane and thought it was pretty neat. But he still wishes it was a train instead.

ETA: The $7 off coupon is also a factor in my decision.
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #21 of 36 Old 11-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

I think I'll pick this up. Even if it isn't the best movie I'm sure my 2-year old son will like it, it may become he favorite movie. He just flew on a plane and thought it was pretty neat. But he still wishes it was a train instead.

Yup... took my 3 yr old to see it in the theaters and he liked it. I don't think as much as Cars but enough to play with the Planes toys we've picked up for 'good behavior' . Disney is probably one of the best marketing/merchandising companies out there. Even if they put out a sub-par product (the movie) the toys will still fly off the shelves (pun intended).

However, I'm looking forward to watching it again at home with the whole family.

I actually started a thread back then and based on the number replies it doesn't seem like many folks saw it, and those that did see it didn't really like it. LINK
SanchoPanza likes this.

post #22 of 36 Old 11-19-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is this disc mastered with seamless branching?

I've had a time of it with the last two Disney discs (Brave & Monsters University) causing noticeable audio dropouts during a seamless branch transition.

Other movies have been fine, but the recent Disney ones have been problematic.

-Suntan
post #23 of 36 Old 11-20-2013, 11:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

Is this disc mastered with seamless branching?

I've had a time of it with the last two Disney discs (Brave & Monsters University) causing noticeable audio dropouts during a seamless branch transition.

Other movies have been fine, but the recent Disney ones have been problematic.

-Suntan

Those titles had Dolby True Hd tracks, this is Dts Hd Master Audio
post #24 of 36 Old 11-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My kids and I enjoyed the 2D version last night. I think the movie was very well done, but missing some of the original Cars movie flare. I don't think the characters are as memorable as Lightning McQueen and Mater are. This was a worthwhile purchase, but I don't know how often my kids will ask to watch it again.

Thanks, as always, for the review Ralph.
post #25 of 36 Old 11-25-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Will finally get a chance to watch this tomorrow night.

Frank

post #26 of 36 Old 11-25-2013, 06:57 AM

Awesome Frank! Your POV is, as always, much appreciated! I'll be ordering this over the weekend (most likely)... smile.gif
post #27 of 36 Old 11-26-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Awesome Frank! Your POV is, as always, much appreciated! I'll be ordering this over the weekend (most likely)... smile.gif

Thanks mate smile.gif Im watching it tomorrow night as I rented Wolverine for tonight.

Frank

post #28 of 36 Old 11-26-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:

Thanks mate smile.gif Im watching it tomorrow night as I rented Wolverine for tonight.

wink.gif

Pls do tell what u think of The Wolverine as well! (Haven't seen it but was also considering the blind purchase!) cool.gif
post #29 of 36 Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No probs

Frank

post #30 of 36 Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

wink.gif

Pls do tell what u think of The Wolverine as well! (Haven't seen it but was also considering the blind purchase!) cool.gif

Loved it. I'm going to buy it. It's worth waiting for the end credits wink.gif

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Planes Three Disc 3d Blu Ray 2d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page