Studio and Year: DreamWorks - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 96 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Voices: Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti, Samuel L. Jackson, Michelle Rodriguez, Luis Guzman, Ken Jeong, Michael Pena, Richard Jenkins, Bill Hader,
Directed by: David Soren
Music by: Henry Jackman
Written by: David Soren, Darren Lemke, Robert Siegel
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 12, 2013

"He’s fast. They’re furious"

Film Synopsis:

From the creators of Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda comes the biggest - and funniest - animated adventure of the year! Along with his streetwise snail crew and new human friends, Turbo, an underdog snail, takes on the biggest challenge ever to make their dreams come true.

My Take:

Turbo is a little guy with big dreams. Not satisfied with living life at a snail’s pace, he has a powerful and resolute need for speed. Turbo trains tirelessly, measuring his progress with a yard stick. (His new record: covering the 36-inch-long “track”…in 17 minutes.) Turbo’s single-minded goal is to compete in the greatest race in the world: the Indy 500. He’s somewhat of an outcast in the snail community, which is less about big dreams and more about punching a time clock at their place of employment (and principal source of nourishment) – the [tomato] “plant.” Turbo’s brother Chet, whose credo is, safety first, last and only, shares the community’s insistence on a snail-paced routine. Chet loves his brother, but he is concerned that Turbo’s obsession with all things fast could lead to disaster – or worse!

Leaving the plant behind, Turbo begins his journey to fulfill his dreams when he is swept from a freeway overpass onto the hood of a sports car, and is then propelled into the muscle car’s air intake valve. Explosive nitrous oxide charges every atom of Turbo’s body, altering his molecular structure. The freak accident infuses Turbo with incredible speed – he can reach 200 miles per hour. Fate intervenes again, when Turbo and Chet are captured by Tito, the co-proprietor (with his brother Angelo) of a Van Nuys, California-based taco stand. Tito’s sideline – and his true passion – is pitting snails against one another in not-so-fast-and-furious racing competitions.

After making fast friends with a crew of streetwise, trash talking and tricked out es-car-goes that make up the racers in Tito’s competitions, Turbo comes to find that no one succeeds on their own. Along with them, Tito and a few local “investors” they begin a journey of adventure, bonding and family that will take them all to new heights!

Turbo isn’t thematically stirring or deep from a narrative standpoint. It’s a quaint and spirited fantasy adventure comedy that bends the rules in a contemporary and fun way. Geared more toward younger audiences but not what I would deem juvenile it borrows themes from other animated films carrying a light familial/coming of age/adventure beyond your wildest dream platform that is served well by its various characters, complimentary vocal performances by the cast and superb production elements. It never gets too serious or too silly and settles for whisking you away into its zippy and good natured story. I had a good time with Turbo and look forward to watching it again.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some mild action and thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 96

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Turbo 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTSHD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This is a native 3D presentation that positively translates to Blu-ray. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is excellent as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or characters layered in the near field/background which creates an involving sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes as well as their correlation to the camera’s perspective. Early in the film Turbo is chased/moves through the grass followed by a lawn mower (and later a kid on a big wheel). The perspective shifts between Turbo’s and the pursuer and the effect as the blades of grass and large objects pass through the field of view is great. At times Turbo makes engaging use of the 3D platform emphasizing effects that are designed to elicit audience reaction creating a fun reach out and touch sense of dimension. The Indy 500 race is a good example but prior to that various instances of things popping up/out and protruding making the experience more visually involving. Contrast is spot on, blacks are rich and colors are vivid and deeply saturated. The blend creates a visually dynamic effect. I didn’t notice any overtly distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk. This is among the better 3D presentations I have seen and is tailor made for fans of the format.

The soundtrack for this film is not the type that contains powerful low frequency transients or extended dynamics. Its strengths lie in its attention to detail, music and entertaining use of the surround platform, all of which is readily handled by this terrific DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio mix. Henry Jackman’s score along with the supporting contemporary music sounds great and features articulated instrumentation that smoothly integrates with the vocal performances and sound effects. Dialogue is definitively reproduced with excellent clarity and room penetration through the center channel. Off camera directional cues and panning sequences are spot on which help create a believable and stable sound stage. The surrounds are actively engaged either in support of the music or to handle the films room traversing sounds. Low frequency effects are not subterranean but there is noteworthy bass presence/response present where appropriate (the Indy sequence sounds terrific) and things get shaking very nicely. I was impressed with the amount of subtle nuance that is clearly audible even during active sequences. I found this to be a balanced and pleasing surround mix that accented this entertaining animated family film.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Turbo comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps.

This is a pristine and reference quality high definition presentation from Fox. The video quality is superlative in its depiction of the film’s animated subjects. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably dimensional. Fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture are clearly discernible. Colors are richly saturated, vibrant and beautifully rendered. Primary colors are particularly vivid and exhibit visibly delineated stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Contrast is spot on, blacks are rich with deep highlights and grays exhibit multi-layered stages that enhance dimension. It looks gorgeous on my big screen.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Turbo – 3D Blu-ray

• Disc 2:

• Turbo – 2D Blu-ray (plus the following bonus features)

• (HD) Champions Corner - Host Paul Page interviews Turbo one-on-one to hear all about his racing techniques and inspirations – 5 minutes

• (HD) Be An Artist! – Dave Burgess, Head of Character Animation on the film, shows the audience how to draw: Garden Turbo and Racing Turbo

• (HD) Team Turbo: Tricked Out – See Turbo and all the rest of the snail crew in a break- down of the cool components that make up each of their shells – 2 minute

• (HD) Smoove Moves music maker – Interactive feature

• (HD) Deleted scene – “Meet Tito”

• (HD) Storyboard sequence – “The race”

• (HD) Shell creator – Interactive feature

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

From the team behind family favorite franchises MADAGASCAR and KUNG FU PANDA Turbo is a quaint and spirited fantasy adventure comedy that bends the rules in a contemporary and fun way. 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and DreamWorks has brought it to Blu-ray Disc in this three disc package that boasts exemplary high definition audio/video and an entertaining 3D presentation that enhances the experience. The supplemental offering is on the light side but has a few interactive features for young ones to play with. The end result is a rewarding Blu-ray experience that the whole family can enjoy.

Here is the trailer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
boondongle and Taranteacher like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Great review Ralph thanks. 96 for the 3D presentation is as high as I've seen. It looks like I'll be reverting back to my childhood once again and more than likely pick this one up on BD.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks for the review, Ralph. I think my daughter will like this one too.
post #4 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
I havent seen this but I had snail races in the back yard when I was a kid. So this will be a rent for old times sake haha!

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #5 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I wasn't sure what to expect of this flick but ended up watching it Tuesday and Mrs Done Deal and I liked it quite a bit. She was busting up laughing through most of it, I didn't think it was quite that funny but still thoroughly enjoyed it. We watched the 2D version that night which had solid animation but I will need to get around to the 3D version in the next few weeks, it sounds like it's certainly worth a viewing.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #6 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I havent seen this but I had snail races in the back yard when I was a kid. So this will be a rent for old times sake haha!

Imagine telling your kids that now? Dad I'm bored.... Well go race some snails biggrin.gif
post #7 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Thanks for the review! I absolutley loved this in theaters and even more at home! I thought the 3D was some of the best I have ever seen on my projector and I love the audio! This is the first movie I tried with my new DIY sound absorbers and I am blown away! I watched it before I installed them and then after and I could not believe the difference. Its like I have new speakers and the room sounds like a giant cinema now! Pans from front to back are so much more coherent, smooth and three dimensional as a whole. Anyone on the fence on wether to do treatments in your room you gotta do it! Anyway....

I thought the story was really good and I laughed so many times! Dreamworks has been doing really good job IMHO. Giving PIXAR a run for there money. This one is an instant classic in my books. Definitly gunna use this for demos to show off 3D. Great stuff.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #8 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Imagine telling your kids that now? Dad I'm bored.... Well go race some snails biggrin.gif

Now it's go race some snails....on your ipad
comfynumb likes this.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #9 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Saw this in theater and will definitely buy the blu-ray. Thanks Ralph.
I was hoping to get some good deal for black Friday!
post #10 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Received my copy today will be watching tomorrow night with the kids

Frank
post #11 of 19 Old 11-16-2013, 07:37 AM
CIH USER

Finally watched it tonight, we really enjoyed it. Pq was superb as well as the audio.

Frank
post #12 of 19 Old 11-16-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Looking forward to this one tonight.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #13 of 19 Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Looking forward to this one tonight.

Your kids will enjoy this one

Frank
post #14 of 19 Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My kids and I enjoyed this one in 2D the other day. I know they are going to ask to watch it again soon.

Great review, as always, Ralph.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-17-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Just saw this in 3D, wow picture and audio was amazing! It was so entertaining and funny, great for all ages!

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcmWTpBcm0
Triax! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhoKuxirdIg
http://...
post #16 of 19 Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Was really looking forward to your review of the movie itself, not to mention the 3D and lossless audio, Ralph! I knew you'd enjoy it.

I had only Vudu'd it SD and 5.1 DD+ (my Internet bandwidth is crap and won't let me go HD, let alone HDX, without it buffering all the time, but at least it gives me DD+, eh?) and, despite that, it looked and sounded really good and became a fam-fave instantly. So I just wanted you to give me that reassurance on getting the 3D version (those scores, especially for 3D! SOLD) which I will definitely have to do now to prep for the holidays. Many thanks, man!

cool.gif
post #17 of 19 Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 326
I watched this a few nights ago and was really impressed with the audio.

I differ a little with Ralph about the LFE though. I found there was no shortage in this department. Given it's no WOTW, but I think there was more bass in this movie than a lot of the recent blockbusters. cool.gif

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #18 of 19 Old 11-21-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I watched this a few nights ago and was really impressed with the audio.

I differ a little with Ralph about the LFE though. I found there was no shortage in this department. Given it's no WOTW, but I think there was more bass in this movie than a lot of the recent blockbusters. cool.gif

Greetings,

I am glad you enjoyed it bass addict. Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #19 of 19 Old 11-21-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Was really looking forward to your review of the movie itself, not to mention the 3D and lossless audio, Ralph! I knew you'd enjoy it.

I had only Vudu'd it SD and 5.1 DD+ (my Internet bandwidth is crap and won't let me go HD, let alone HDX, without it buffering all the time, but at least it gives me DD+, eh?) and, despite that, it looked and sounded really good and became a fam-fave instantly. So I just wanted you to give me that reassurance on getting the 3D version (those scores, especially for 3D! SOLD) which I will definitely have to do now to prep for the holidays. Many thanks, man!

cool.gif

Greetings,

Sure thing Taranteacher. Be sure to post back with your impressions..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Turbo Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack , Turbo Blu Ray Dvd Combo Pack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page