Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: Bill Cosby
Written by: Bill Cosby
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 26, 2013

"Live in concert"

Film Synopsis:

Bill Cosby partners up with Comedy Central for his first comedy special in over two decades. “Far From Finished” is the highly anticipated look back into the funny, satirical and heart-warming style of the iconic comedy legend himself. This concert performance, filmed live in Reno, NV, is extended and will be released immediately after world premiere on Comedy Central.

My Take:

One of America’s most beloved comedians of all time, Bill Cosby has captivated generations of fans with his comedy routines, iconic albums and best-selling books such as "Fatherhood." His comedy transcends age, gender and cultural barriers.

In the 1960s, his stand-up act was a coast-to-coast sensation, spawning a string of hilarious, best-selling comedy albums, which went on to win eight Gold Records, five Platinum records and five Grammy Awards. His role on TV’s I Spy made him the first African-American to co-star in a dramatic series, breaking television’s racial barrier and winning three Emmy Awards. He created and produced the Emmy-winning cartoon "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids," which began airing in the 1970s and was made into a film in 2004. The show, based on Cosby’s childhood in Philadelphia, was designed to educate and entertain. In the 1980s, he again rocked the television world with the The Cosby Show, a gentle, whimsical and hugely successful series that single-handedly revived the family sitcom. His successes didn’t end there and he has continued to be a national treasure with the ability to touch people’s hearts through the spirit of laughter.

Growing up I had several of his albums including, “To Russell my brother who I slept with”, “Bill Cosby is a very funny fellow, Right!”, “I started out as a child” and “Revenge”, all of which I nearly wore out. Among my circle of family and friends I am considered a great storyteller. Much of this is owed to my father who loves to tell funny stories but my polish comes from the time I spent in my youth listening to Bill Cosby. His knack for spinning a yarn that has connective tissue that most can relate to while extracting those moments that in most cases may or may not have been funny at the time but upon reflection were tailor made for repurposing into hilarious retelling is second to none.

Far from finished represents his first full-length standup special in thirty years. The live tour sponsored by Comedy Central features 90 plus minutes of him doing what he does best, delivering his unique signature style via a perspective that resonates with the audience on a personal and of course hilarious level. I watched this concert with my wife and Bill’s shtick that primarily revolved around relationship advice/marriage, he and his wife, a bit on raising kids and one or two off topic gags was a hoot. Here is a list:
  • Chairs

• The girrrlfriend

• The wife

• The room my wife gave me

• She’s not your friend

• My code name

• GPS

• Chocolate chip cookies

• You’re not rich

• I didn’t ask to be born

In a career that has spanned 50 years Bill Cosby has proven to be a consistent and positive role model for our nation’s youth and at 76 shows he still got plenty of gas in the tank. Fans can check out this concert when it debuts on Comedy Central on November 23, 2013. Check your local listings.

Parental Guide:

There is nothing contained in this concert that would be inappropriate for general audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Bill Cosby: Far from finished comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080i AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 Mbps.

This live onstage performance boasts vivid and pleasing colors that stand out well against the indoor and static imagery of the venue where it was filmed. Under the bright lights fleshtones appear a slightly washed out but lifelike. Resolution is primarily stable but can vary depending on the camera angle. Images are resolved well with notable detail rendering and appreciable depth. Blacks are stable but not noticeably strong but again this has more to do with the visual style of the video. I didn’t note any deleterious problems with the quality of the presentation as is exactly what you might expect of live recording like this.

The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel soundtrack is open, clear, and easily conveys the dialogue heavy elements of the source. The running commentary is firmly entrenched in the center channel with the crowd/background noise bled to the left/right speakers and surrounds. This isn’t a particularly engaging audio presentation but it capably renders the recorded elements and sounds fine.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Interview with Bill Cosby (hosted by Robert Townsend) – 48 minutes

• (HD) Gangbusters #1 – 2 minute featurette

• (HD) Behind the scenes – 5 minutes

• (HD) Fans – 3 minutes of post-concert audience interviews

Final Thoughts:

One of America’s most beloved comedians of all time, Bill Cosby has captivated generations of fans with his comedy routines that transcend age, gender and cultural barriers. Far from finished represents his first full-length standup special in thirty years and features 90 plus minutes of him doing what he does best, delivering his unique signature style via a perspective that resonates with the audience on a personal and of course hilarious level. This live concert comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and a middling supplemental offering that is highlighted by a 48 minute interview with Bill Cosby. If you’re a fan this belongs in your collection.

Here is a clip:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Taranteacher likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Ralph,

Another great review. I can also remember as a kid wearing out my parents early 33-1/3 comedy albums, especially the routines about "fat-Albert", and "weird Harold",
Then much later ; in the late 70's I remember seeing him live in suburban Chicago (at the now defunct golf-mill theater in the round).
I'll be collecting this one for sure !

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #3 of 6 Old 11-19-2013, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Watched/listened to "Himself" more times that I can remember. I saw him live in 2006 at the Kennedy Center and he was fantastic. All new material until the end, when he closed with "Dentists."

post #4 of 6 Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Aw, man, Ralph! Great story-telling chops instilled in you for sure! No wonder I can't get enough of your reviews! wink.gif

And...Fat Albert! Just loved that show! And then his Cosby Show! Gonna have to look into this for sure!

Again, many thanks! cool.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 11-24-2013, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The set seemed to take a bit to build, but Cosby still has it. His segments on his friend Ed and driving his kids to school were great. Glad to see him up on stage, it was like spending time with an old friend. A very funny one.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #6 of 6 Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll always love Cosby referring to his kids as "those people". One of the best comedians ever.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Bill Cosby Far From Finished Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page