post #31 of 46 Old 12-10-2013, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post

Anyone else had this happen at begining during the nuke explosion.
It went silent for a splite second and then everything else it you.

I can see only 2 possibility, one it it the mixte of the movie or two, my amp and subs were clipping.
I find the second option hard to beleive since I run dual SVS PB13 ultra in a room that is recommended for one only and only 1.5db over Audessey recomendation and run a Outlaw 7700 for power amp.

I only watch one movie a week due to time restriction, so I just let it play and do not have time to experement.

Just curious if any else had the same result.

Thanks

Ray

I believe that was part of the sound design.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 12-10-2013, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Maybe it was a second viewing of the overall content, but IMO the Extended Edition at home was a better experience than the cut in-theater. I gave the latter a 6-7, where the former gets an 8-8.5 from me...felt much more complete.
post #33 of 46 Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:

I can see only 2 possibility, one it it the mixte of the movie or two, my amp and subs were clipping.
I find the second option hard to beleive since I run dual SVS PB13 ultra in a room that is recommended for one only and only 1.5db over Audessey recomendation and run a Outlaw 7700 for power amp.

I only watch one movie a week due to time restriction, so I just let it play and do not have time to experement.

Thanks

Ray

The bluray.com review mentions this in the audio portion of the review. I have not seen the disc yet, but it sounds like it is just the way the mix/sound design was done for this particular moment/scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Quote:

Thanks

Ray

I believe that was part of the sound design.

Thanks

maybe the film maker beleive a nuklear explosion should sound like this, a pause for the sound going over the speed of sound.

Thanks for the replies.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #34 of 46 Old 12-14-2013, 11:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Great review as usual Ralph. I've seen all of the X-Men movies, but seeing James Mangold hired on as the director piqued my interest. I recommend that people see "Cop Land" which Mangold wrote an directed. It has a great character actors and the story is pretty good as well.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #35 of 46 Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Really enjoyed the Extended cut of this movie. Watched the Theatrical cut last week and wasn't impressed. That cut seemed chopped and didn't flow for me. Just hope they find a way in the sequel or in the X-Men series to give him back what he lost in the ending battle scene. His "natural gift" just seems to make him look out of character.
post #36 of 46 Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Just finished watching the extended cut of "The Wolverine" in 2D and found it to be entertaining. From my point of view, Ralph's scores for audio and video were right on the money. I'll be watching this one again in 3D within the next few days and probably in 2D again before the month is out.

Thanks for reviewing the film for us, Ralph! cool.gif

oz
post #37 of 46 Old 12-18-2013, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Just finished watching the extended cut of "The Wolverine" in 2D and found it to be entertaining. From my point of view, Ralph's scores for audio and video were right on the money. I'll be watching this one again in 3D within the next few days and probably in 2D again before the month is out.

Thanks for reviewing the film for us, Ralph! cool.gif

Greetings,

Sure thing oz. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for posting your thoughts.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #38 of 46 Old 12-27-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Ralph: just watched it last night as one of my Christmas BD's that I received from Santa. Great sounding movie, glad I have the 7.1 Rears and surrounds got a good workout and the picture was perfect on my new PJ Have a Happy New Year buddy, keep up the good work.

Matt..smile.gif

post #39 of 46 Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post

Ralph: just watched it last night as one of my Christmas BD's that I received from Santa. Great sounding movie, glad I have the 7.1 Rears and surrounds got a good workout and the picture was perfect on my new PJ Have a Happy New Year buddy, keep up the good work.

Matt..smile.gif

Greetings,

Thanks so much Matt same to you and your family and I am glad you enjoyed this Blu-ray presentation on your new set up. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #40 of 46 Old 01-04-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 79
My first screenshots with Wolverine and new JVC pj. Need some practice steadying camera..

:

post #41 of 46 Old 02-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
having seen the pg-13 version and not the unrated version i thought this movie was very weak compared to other xmen movies but much better than origins. The only good thing about this movie was the scene after the credits in which prof x and magneto meet up with mr claws, setting the stage for xmen dofp.
post #42 of 46 Old 02-17-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I haven't been this undecided on a film in years...definitely first world problem I have here, but a problem nonetheless...

I've never been a HUGE fan of XMen, but I have enjoyed the films more than I've not enjoyed them...but is this one good enough to move ahead of some of my other titles that are awaiting my attention? I just don't know...

Maybe I'll just flip a coin
post #43 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 08:41 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the review Ralph, I'm not the biggest fan of the X-Men but I did enjoy the last one and also this one, The Wolverine. A somewhat off topic question you might have an answer for. My set-up is 5.1 but if I choose the 7.1 DTS-MA would that change / spoil the audio experience? Would a real difference be heard?
post #44 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tao View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph, I'm not the biggest fan of the X-Men but I did enjoy the last one and also this one, The Wolverine. A somewhat off topic question you might have an answer for. My set-up is 5.1 but if I choose the 7.1 DTS-MA would that change / spoil the audio experience? Would a real difference be heard?

Greetings,

With a 5.1 channel setup any of the elements mixed to the additional rear channels of the 7.1 channel soundtrack will be down mixed to the surrounds. In other words you won't see a benefit but I don't see it spoiling or detracting from the experience.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #45 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 09:23 AM

Liked: 10
Thank you Ralph for your speedy reply. I also want to thank you for the great job you do on the movie / bluray content reviews, you are a true fan of films and it shows. We share some of the same equipment, I have a Panny 310 & Oppo 83 both still going strong pusing them thru an aging and often very hot, even with a fan, Onkyo 805. They don't make them like they used to, not even Onyko. Also our locations are less than 50 miles apart. Thanks again.
post #46 of 46 Old 02-18-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tao View Post

Thank you Ralph for your speedy reply. I also want to thank you for the great job you do on the movie / bluray content reviews, you are a true fan of films and it shows. We share some of the same equipment, I have a Panny 310 & Oppo 83 both still going strong pusing them thru an aging and often very hot, even with a fan, Onkyo 805. They don't make them like they used to, not even Onyko. Also our locations are less than 50 miles apart. Thanks again.

Greetings,

Thanks Mr. Tao. Your support and participation is much appreciated. I am glad to hear we are neighbors of sorts too.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Wolverine Blu Ray 3d Collectors Edition

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page