Elysium (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 12-26-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I agree about the sound. Lfe was pure unfiltered which we seldom get these days but the mix lacked the punch though it improvised in the climax sequence.

Blu-ray : 340
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 01-02-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

I wont comment on the blu ray of this movie but the movie itself - lackluster, cliche and wasted performers.

Some commented on bad performances but I cannot help but think it was more about bad script and bad direction. Neither Damon or Foster were exploited in ways to really make in depth characters. I'll simply state I thought the film was okay but disappointing at nearly every turn as it could have been a keen piece of sci-fi that used the morality play as a motif or thread for the action.

While one cannot directly compare - I far preferred Serenity (movie final for the TV series Firefly) which managed to pack so much more in a similar time frame and let you care far deeper for the characters that included more flushed out 'bad guys.'

Several years ago, this would have been a summer release which translates to leave your brains at home and just enjoy for the action.
Pretty much agree here, I'm stunned that so many lays it at Foster, and not the director and writers. She had very little to work with, and had very little screen time as well. She probably should have turned this down though.
Serenity is the kind of movie they should make, but it seems some of these Hollywood yahoos would rather use movies as their soap boxes, no thanks.

The Hun
post #63 of 81 Old 01-08-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I didn't think it was really fair to go into this one expecting something on par with District 9, cause that became one of my favorite sci-fi flicks ever. I found myself really enjoying this one, although I'm a bit biased since I'm such an easy sell when it comes to this genre. It held my attention from start to finish and I did become minimally invested in the characters. I would watch it again for sure.
post #64 of 81 Old 01-08-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
I finally got to watch this a few days ago on BD and found it entertaining. I think the audio rating Ralph have was pretty much right on but it was lacking in the LFE department. The dialogue was very clear and overall I liked everything.
post #65 of 81 Old 01-09-2014, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Predictable Hollywood left-wing plot ruined it. Elysium was all about Obamacare IMO.
post #66 of 81 Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post

Predictable Hollywood left-wing plot ruined it. Elysium was all about Obamacare IMO.

The director and cast have all stated it was about border control and class division.The healthcare portion was merely part of the class division commentary.
PcGeek626 likes this.

Looky here!
post #67 of 81 Old 01-12-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

And here I thought it was all about how the evil left-wing had made the government into an overeaching nanny state, which sought to keep weapons out of the hands of private citizens, and interfered with entrepreneurial small business of the kind that the "good guys" needed to pursue completely under the radar, on certain knowledge the government would serve to dissuade their private start-up tech enterprise through draconian intervention.

If Obamacare was being commented on at all, we were shown that the "bad guys" had the platinum policies, while Earth denizens had free access to lesser socialized health services and covered medications -- but this would make ELYSIUM a pretty unfavorable indictment of Obamacare..... and that would be right-wing messaging, would it not...?
Djoel likes this.
post #68 of 81 Old 01-12-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Hi Ralph! smile.gif

100% correct beautiful assessment wink.gif
post #69 of 81 Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Hi Ralph! smile.gif

100% correct beautiful assessment wink.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear it audiofan1! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #70 of 81 Old 01-22-2014, 05:20 PM

Liked: 25
Ralph,

I did wind up enjoying the film but couldn't help thinking what was previously stated in this quote... wink.gif
Quote:

I mean, it wasn't 20 minutes into the film and I was saying to myself "Wait a minute! That looks just like 'health care' in present day America!".

Thanks for another spot-on review!

Ish
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #71 of 81 Old 01-23-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

And this is why we have class warefare in 2014. It is because people like you who look down upon other people who cannot achieve or have lost what your class of people call "The American Dream". How do you associate Obamacare and the Democrat party with this movie? Please explain your throught process to me?

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #72 of 81 Old 01-23-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Since Elysium was based from Greek Mythology, I would consider this movie to be well thought out. In Greek Mythology, the Greeks conception of the afterlife was called Elysium. The Elysian Fields were, according to Homer, located on the western edge of the Earth by the stream of Okeanos. The original belief about Elysium is that only mortals that were related to gods would be allowed into Elysium. The concept was later expanded to only allow gods into Elysium. This whole concept of only allowing the Gods or people related to gods is, by definition, class division. Class division is, by definition, dividing the have and have nots into two separate groups. Who decides to create class division? The ruling elite get to decide who lives or not. So, in my opinion, this movie hit the nail on the head. We already live in a society that is similar to this movie. The only difference being that we do not have a space station or space ships to travel from planet to planet.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #73 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 192
The point the movie seems to make is that only when you are rich you will have safety (because you can afford bodyguards), relative freedom/relaxation (you can buy a big piece of land and put a fence around it) and health care (you can have the best health care available). You can basically buy your garden of Eden when you are rich.

director quote ''no, no, no. this isn't science fiction. this is today. This is now.''
post #74 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

The point the movie seems to make is that only when you are rich you will have safety (because you can afford bodyguards), relative freedom/relaxation (you can buy a big piece of land and put a fence around it) and health care (you can have the best health care available). You can basically buy your garden of Eden when you are rich.

director quote ''no, no, no. this isn't science fiction. this is today. This is now.''
If I might, one could easily interpret the point, or moral compass, to be the exact opposite of that, i.e., there is no safety/freedom from worry/maximized longevity to be achieved when such a marked gulf exists between sectors of humanity. ELYSIUM might easily have been based on the French revolution, or Russian, or the toppling of the Roman empire. It is not a particularly new concept, or even a very controversial one, but perhaps it does resonate fairly strongly in an era when it has lately been disseminated that just 85 individuals own as much of the world's wealth as the 3.5 billion comprising the lowest economic substrate.

The Foster character did not seem particularly relaxed or serene or tranquil, nor were her actions grounded in perfect personal peace, whether internal or external. Her destiny was not the fulfillment of that transitory condition that wealth might impart, so just from my perspective, is it possible you might not have gleaned the appropriate "thematic thrust"?
post #75 of 81 Old 01-24-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych 
If I might, one could easily interpret the point, or moral compass, to be the exact opposite of that, i.e., there is no safety/freedom from worry/maximized longevity to be achieved when such a marked gulf exists between sectors of humanity. ELYSIUM might easily have been based on the French revolution, or Russian, or the toppling of the Roman empire. It is not a particularly new concept, or even a very controversial one, but perhaps it does resonate fairly strongly in an era when it has lately been disseminated that just 85 individuals own as much of the world's wealth as the 3.5 billion comprising the lowest economic substrate.
As far as i am concerned in this universe there is now way getting around duality. Because of that among others there Always will be rich and poor people, and i have no problem with that. I would like to see though that everybody has safety/good healthcare and a nice place for themselve, enough food to eat and some money to spend.
post #76 of 81 Old 01-25-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

As far as i am concerned in this universe there is now way getting around duality. Because of that among others there Always will be rich and poor people, and i have no problem with that. I would like to see though that everybody has safety/good healthcare and a nice place for themselve, enough food to eat and some money to spend.
What you speak of is the nature of the human condition -- some will strive, some will dream, some will dream and strive. There will be reward for effort, penalty for lethargy. Great fortune accorded minimal merit, spirit-crushing ceaseless challenge for heroic endeavor."Fair" consequence and the bitterly unjust alike rule our days. Ever it has been so, and by my inventory, these human conditions are fairly universally acknowledged and accepted.

And I would submit, also universal is a sense of justice and trending tendency of humankind through history to shift to the underbalanced side of the justice scales. This film does not stand as indictment to riches per se, the rich or condition of being rich, as some seem to have suggested, rather it stands implanted on the durable bedrock that gross disproportion resulting in unearned birthright entitlement for some whilst others are congenitally disenfranchised and oppressed, is inherently inhuman. This is the bedrock our founding fathers took root on, which curiously would seem to lend this film great appeal to the tea party faction. Far from being cinematic liberal manifesto, as some have suggested, I contend the themes in ELYSIUM are universal, and defy casual compartmentalization.
post #77 of 81 Old 02-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 57
Okay, finally got around to watching Elysium on blu-ray last night and I agree with Ralph's scoring regarding AQ and PQ. I enjoyed the movie more than anticipated and was not all that bothered with Jodie Foster's accent, although it wasn't all that endearing, either. I'm thinking that I might like the movie even more on the next viewing, as was the case when I watched District 9 on blu-ray.

Thanks again for the fine review, Ralph! smile.gif

oz
post #78 of 81 Old 02-12-2014, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Okay, finally got around to watching Elysium on blu-ray last night and I agree with Ralph's scoring regarding AQ and PQ. I enjoyed the movie more than anticipated and was not all that bothered with Jodie Foster's accent, although it wasn't all that endearing, either. I'm thinking that I might like the movie even more on the next viewing, as was the case when I watched District 9 on blu-ray.

Thanks again for the fine review, Ralph! smile.gif

Greetings,

You're more than welcome oz. Thanks for sharing your thoughts... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #79 of 81 Old 02-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
this movie was pretty good. Very original but a bit slow moving at times yet action packed. I suggest you rent it before buying it.
post #80 of 81 Old 05-28-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Finally got around to watching this over Memorial weekend, as R rated gotta watch it when kids are asleep/not around.
(for the record RedBox rental did have the full English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio track)

I'm a sucker for Sci-fi, any and all.

Both my wife and I felt this movie was "ok", nothing special.
Overall 2.5 of 5 stars, or a solid C+ at best.....
The middle was very slow, my wife felt the ending lacked a real human connection among Max and Frey that could have been better established during some mid of the movie.
So it was kinda not believable what the end scene portrayed.
(I don't want to give away scene spoilers here)

I'd recommend against buy, rent it with mild expectations.
post #81 of 81 Old 05-28-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
mild expectations is the way to go for sure...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Elysium Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page