Riddick: Unrated Director's Cut (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #61 of 84 Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I found as a whole that the movie was well worth watching. Curiously, I enjoyed the first half better than the last. Riddick's character development was front and center in the first half, while the second half was more of the tough guy/rebel/superhuman character that is the front of the Riddick character.

I'm looking forward to another installment to see if the character development continues or if it's back to two-dimensional characterization for Riddick.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 84 Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
One thing I never got is, how does the alien jackal get big so fast? Did Riddick hang around the planet for a long time until it got big?

It looked like he was going to go towards the merc base and by the time he got there the jackal was big all of a sudden. Do they have an amazing growth rate or something? It didn't seem to grow that fast while he was accustoming himself and the baby jackal to the venom.
post #63 of 84 Old 01-30-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyronaut View Post

One thing I never got is, how does the alien jackal get big so fast? Did Riddick hang around the planet for a long time until it got big?

It looked like he was going to go towards the merc base and by the time he got there the jackal was big all of a sudden. Do they have an amazing growth rate or something? It didn't seem to grow that fast while he was accustoming himself and the baby jackal to the venom.

I took it as he was there for awhile and was around for its training and growth. I guess I never thought too deeply about its timeline and just assumed he was there for a bit.
Not sure how I felt about this one. I preferred the second one to all of them. This one was more on point with the first.

post #64 of 84 Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Loved this movie in the theater and will purchase on Blu. But my rule of thumb is wait for price to come below 15. I might be breaking that rule because I can't find this one less than $20. But glad they extended several minutes in beginning and end, can't wait to get it.
post #65 of 84 Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Funny you mention that; I was thinking the exact same thing, lol.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #66 of 84 Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Funny you mention that; I was thinking the exact same thing, lol.

Same here. I just chalked it up to Riddick spending time wandering the planet before he came across the merc outpost. Once he got through the gap who knows how long he was walking through the plains....
post #67 of 84 Old 02-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Yeah true. I thought he knew where he was going when he got through the gap, but after looking at that part again it looks like he came across the merc base after just wandering around a lot.

In any case, I'm glad this did so well on Blu Ray/DVD that Universal confirmed that they want to develop the 4th film. Really looking forward to that one.
post #68 of 84 Old 02-09-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

In any case, I'm glad this did so well on Blu Ray/DVD that Universal confirmed that they want to develop the 4th film. Really looking forward to that one.

A shame they didn't do the same with SERENITY.

post #69 of 84 Old 02-09-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
do what for Serenity? Make another if it does well in media sales?
post #70 of 84 Old 02-10-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

A shame they didn't do the same with SERENITY.

Oh don't even get me started on Serenity. But that is another discussion for another day. Also, the situation is much different because while they had similar budgets, Riddick made back over double its budget world-wide, while Serenity didn't even break even world-wide. A real cinematic tragedy.
post #71 of 84 Old 02-10-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh don't even get me started on Serenity. But that is another discussion for another day. Also, the situation is much different because while they had similar budgets, Riddick made back over double its budget world-wide, while Serenity didn't even break even world-wide. A real cinematic tragedy.

True in theatrical. But it definitely made back its money on video sales. Not to mention winning the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation. And we know that the Firefly series did very well on video as well. Like RIDDICK, a more modestly-budgeted sequel would probably have done even better financially. But we'll never know now.

post #72 of 84 Old 02-10-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:

True in theatrical. But it definitely made back its money on video sales. Not to mention winning the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation. And we know that the Firefly series did very well on video as well. Like RIDDICK, a more modestly-budgeted sequel would probably have done even better financially. But we'll never know now.

That may be true (though I'm not sure where you got your numbers from to confirm that) but unfortunately, studios don't want to just make their money back. They're business people, and if a movie tanks in theatres (you need to take into account that they only get a fraction of ticket sales figures in north america, and a smaller part of that fraction of international sales, AND they also need to cover marketing costs on top of the film's budget) they don't want to rely home media to recoup their costs. It would be seen as quite a risky bet, and studios don't like taking too many risky bets. That's why you see so many reboots and films based on pre-existing media like books and cartoons, and sequels to films that did well theatrically, and also why they didn't want to make the 3rd Riddick film in the first place.

Who knows though, now that Whedon is so successful, we might see another Serenity film after he's done with Marvel (and the actors are also free).
post #73 of 84 Old 02-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

And we know that the Firefly series did very well on video as well.

Unfortunately Firefly video sales don't benefit Universal in any financial way, so they're decisions were only ever going to be based off the movie's sales.
post #74 of 84 Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean View Post

Unfortunately Firefly video sales don't benefit Universal in any financial way, so they're decisions were only ever going to be based off the movie's sales.

True, but it does provide a gauge for audience interest

post #75 of 84 Old 02-12-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:

True, but it does provide a gauge for audience interest

Yes, and that is why they used it as a reason to make the first film. It wouldn't work for a second.
post #76 of 84 Old 02-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

plus they killed off major characters...
post #77 of 84 Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

plus they killed off major characters...

That's because they wanted to make a sequel and those actors couldn't commit to one. It's not a reason not to make a sequel.
Anyway, this is probably too much Firefly for a Riddick thread.
post #78 of 84 Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

uhhh...at comicon, they had the entire cast including Joss, and he even said that if there was a chance of a sequel, he wouldnt have killed of alan tudyk's character. Im not sure where youre getting your info...
post #79 of 84 Old 02-14-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

uhhh...at comicon, they had the entire cast including Joss, and he even said that if there was a chance of a sequel, he wouldnt have killed of alan tudyk's character. Im not sure where youre getting your info...

Just when I thought I was out....

I got the info from the man himself:
RonAlam likes this.
post #80 of 84 Old 02-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Due to strong sales of this movie, a sequel is being planned....makes sense....i thought riddick wasn't as good as other pitch black movies but acted more like pitch black one than chronicles.
post #81 of 84 Old 03-07-2014, 01:00 PM

Liked: 10
I've always loved these films as well as Vin's character, but my issue was trying to be Pitch Black 2. Mainly if they kept the cells in the locker and focused on the fact that John's was here to kill Riddick, favor for this flick would have been up more then a few notches.
post #82 of 84 Old 03-09-2014, 11:13 AM

Liked: 24
It's weird, when I heard and read a bit about the script for this 3rd installment, I was let down a bit. Friend pushed me to see this in the theater and I was very happy with the outcome. As I've said before, yeah it does resemble PB a bit, but for some reason it just works for me. I love the Blu Ray and can't stop watching it. To me, it's better that Chronicles of R and right on step with PB.

But yes, there are some similarities to PB, can't deny that.
post #83 of 84 Old 07-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Finally got around to watching Riddick and enjoyed it more than anticipated. It's not the kind of movie my wife would like but I'll certainly watch it again in a few weeks.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!.
Ralph Potts likes this.

oz
post #84 of 84 Old 07-05-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post
Finally got around to watching Riddick and enjoyed it more than anticipated. It's not the kind of movie my wife would like but I'll certainly watch it again in a few weeks.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!.

Greetings,

Very cool oz...!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Riddick Unrated Directors Cut Hd