Feature running time: 118/127 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Vin Diesel, Jordi Molla, Matt Nable, Katee Sackhoff, Dave Bautista, Bokeem Woodbine, Raoul Trujillo, Karl Urban
Written & Directed by: David Twohy
Music by: Graeme Revell
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 14, 2014

"Rule the dark"

Film Synopsis:

Global action-superstar Vin Diesel reprises his breakthrough role in Riddick, the much-anticipated new chapter in the epic adventures of the most wanted man in the universe. The all-new thriller finds the title character trapped on a sun-scorched planet and pursued by ruthless bounty hunters eager to collect the reward for Riddick’s capture dead or alive.

My Take:

Chances are that if you’re reading this you have seen or at least heard of the character of Riddick who was introduced in 2000’s “Pitch Black” a great sci-fi/horror/thriller directed by and co-written David Twohy. In 2004 “The chronicles of Riddick” written/directed by David Twohy took the character to new heights in an anti-heroic sci-fi action adventure. With fans clamoring to see more of Riddick on the big screen David Twohy once again reached for his pen and directorial chair and Riddick was born. With Vin Diesel producing the film was shot independently on a fairly limited budget with distribution handled by Universal Studios.

The plot picks up not long after the events of “Chronicles…” and finds Riddick left for dead by his Necromonger minions on a distant planet whose environment and indigenous life are as hard edged as their newest guest. After acclimating himself as only he can Riddick locates a way station with a beacon and broadcasts his image into the airwaves which captures the attention of bounty hunters and mercenaries. Two groups arrive, one for money, one on a personal mission, each vying for the ultimate capture of one of the most dangerous and wanted men in the galaxy. As prepared as they are they are unprepared to meet not only the challenge of their quest but why lies in wait…

As a fan of both “Pitch Black” and “Chronicles of Riddick” I looked forward to Riddick but kept my expectations in check. The lack of a big budget was obvious as the scope of the production and cast were limited. I didn’t find that to be a problem as the screenplay didn’t feel as though it had been written for a larger body. The supporting cast were fine in their respective roles and were supported by the breadth of the writing. Vin Diesel owns this character and was as solid as he has ever been. So the question remaining is did I like Riddick? The answer is yes. There is a noticeable return to the roots of what initially made the character so interesting in Pitch Black. On the flip side that is also what imparts a nagging sense of been here done this. There is also a connection to Pitch Black that you may or may not find credible or necessary. Personally I didn’t find it to be either but luckily it really has little impact on the fundamentals we look for in a film like this. The action is decent and the visceral edge that you expect shines through as the events formulaically unfold.

I didn’t find Riddick to be as thematically well rounded as its predecessors but for fans of the Riddick mythos its familiar territory was fun and entertaining to explore. Both the theatrical and eight minute longer director’s cut, which I watched during my evaluation, are included.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, language, and some sexual content/nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Riddick comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This is a superb looking Blu-ray presentation from Universal that delivers high level detail, razor sharpness and resolute definition that brings out the lifelike textures captured by the camera lens. Close ups and mid level shots are incredibly detailed and revealing of even the subtlest nuance visible within facial features, clothing, and objects/backgrounds within the frame. Fidelity is never in question regardless of the camera’s perspective. Colors are kept within the scope of the thematic elements which means lots of browns, grays, and blacks. The stylized color palate deemphasizes primaries but the dusty earth tones have a rewarding quality nonetheless. Skin tones are texturally revealing and lifelike. Blacks are rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which helps them pop during sequences that contained both light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal discerning shapes and structure in backgrounds/objects. I found this to be a pristine high definition video offering that looked terrific on my big screen.

Like the video presentation, the 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack doesn’t disappoint. This is an entertaining audio presentation that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated. Sound effects traverse the room during the large fight sequences. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. This is an active mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its dynamic range. The result is tactile low frequency detail that energizes the room with clean, hard hitting bass. Dialogue had excellent soundstage presence with clear, defining vocal character and excellent room penetration. This is a top notch and complimentary audio/video presentation that enhances the subject matter.

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical and Director’s Cut of the film

• (HD) * Exclusive The Twohy Touch — In this short film, writer and director David Twohy explains the development of Riddick, the third feature film in his high-concept sci-fi series. Interviews and on-set footage detail Twohy’s vision and inspiration, as well as the creative collaboration between the filmmaker and star Vin Diesel that takes the cult franchise to a new level – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) * Exclusive Riddickian Tech — The filmmakers, including Riddick’s amazing effects team, talk about the extraordinary technologies used to create Riddick’s eye-popping sci-fi elements, from the practical effects to the green screen wonders that made it possible to bring this highintensity, futuristic thriller to the big screen – 10 minute featurette

• (HD) * Exclusive The World Of Riddick — Key members of the filmmaking team, including director David Twohy, production designer Joseph C. Nemec III and director of photography David Eggby talk about the inspiration and influences behind the film’s vivid and unique visuals and savage predators – 10 minute featurette

• (HD)Vin’s Riddick — Vin Diesel, his co-stars and the entire filmmaking team provide an inside look at the superstar’s passion for everything from the film’s production and developmentto his intensive physical training, as well as just what makes Diesel ideal for the role of the indestructible Richard B. Riddick – 8 minute featurette

• (HD)Meet The Mercs — From Karl Urban and Katee Sackhoff to Jordi Mollà, Dave Bautista, Bokeem Woodbine, and Nolan Gerard Funk, this featurette spotlights the dynamic supporting cast of Riddick and the characters they portray, exploring what the actors bring to their roles, as well as the weapons and clothing styles that define them to enhance this heart-stopping thriller – 10 minute featurette

• (HD) Riddick: Blindsided—A motion comic prequel to Riddick that fills in the gap since 2004’s The Chronicles of Riddick

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Riddick is the third installment in the sci-fi/thriller/action film franchise built around the dark anti-hero character played by star Vin Diesel. Written/directed by David Twohy there is a familiarity and viscerally resounding edge that harkens back to what initially made the character appealing to genre fans. The script isn’t as strong as those found in the first two installments however there is enough action and typically entertaining character interplay to make it fun to watch. Riddick comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring resplendent high definition video, engaging DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound and a fan friendly assortment of supplemental features that look behind the scenes at the production and include insights from the cast/ crew. If you’re a fan this Blu-ray release deserves a place in your video collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Loved this movie. Made up for the 2nd one.
post #3 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Enjoyed this movie. I'm a big fan of all three, and looking forward to a fourth.

PS -- Thanks Ralph for all of your reviews. They are enjoyable to read, and helpful in my blu-ray decisions. Happy Holidays.
post #4 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 65
This will be another movie I buy before seeing. Cannot wait!biggrin.gif

post #5 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I did see this movie in the theater. The special effects were good, but the actual movie IMO was horrible. Bad script. There was no suspense as you knew exactly what was going to happen before it happened. I did like the previous Riddick movies, but this one was by far the worst. Felt like leaving the theater half way through. Rent the movie and save yourself $25.
post #6 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I always thought the second film was a bit convoluted, and really this one is a remake of the first film, not that that is a bad thing, and hey you do get a gratuitious Katy Sachoff topless scene
post #7 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Ralph.. thanks again for another thoughtful review. We had a lot of fun mixing the film.....

Curious which version you watched, or both.

Thanks again.
post #8 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Ralph.. thanks again for another thoughtful review. We had a lot of fun mixing the film.....

Curious which version you watched, or both.

Thanks again.

Greetings,

Hi Marc, I watched the Director's Cut (mentioned that in the final line of My Take wink.gif). You did a great job as usual.... smile.gif

Happy Holidays!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #9 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Hi Ralph,
Do you by chance know what the extended scenes were? As a whole, I found that the theatrical version was just fine. unlike the second Riddick movie that had so many holes in it, which the directors cut fixed and made a much more engaging film. Im hoping this will do the same, although I didnt think it was missing that much in the plot.
post #10 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

Hi Ralph,
Do you by chance know what the extended scenes were? As a whole, I found that the theatrical version was just fine. unlike the second Riddick movie that had so many holes in it, which the directors cut fixed and made a much more engaging film. Im hoping this will do the same, although I didnt think it was missing that much in the plot.

Greetings,

Ron, I don't know what they were and would have to watch the theatrical version in the hopes of making the distinction. Luckily you liked the theatrical version which is included here. In the event the director's cut doesn't work for you you're still good to go. wink.gif

Regards,
RonAlam likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #11 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have to agree!! I was excited to see this one but it was pretty bad film, however I enjoyed the other two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I did see this movie in the theater. The special effects were good, but the actual movie IMO was horrible. Bad script. There was no suspense as you knew exactly what was going to happen before it happened. I did like the previous Riddick movies, but this one was by far the worst. Felt like leaving the theater half way through. Rent the movie and save yourself $25.

B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62
PSA XV30Fse x2
DIY SI 18" / port tuned- 17hz
Onkyo 809, Emotiva XPA5, iNuke DSP1000
Projection: Panasonic PT-AE8000U / LED: Sharp 70" -Smart
HTPC: Lenovo q190 w/ Roku for chuckles
post #12 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Loved Pitch Black, thought Chronicles was a little above average, and I pretty much loved the slimmed down RIDDICK. Had a couple issues. The been there done that feeling, but other than that, this movie IMO was great. Can't wait for this on Blu!
post #13 of 84 Old 12-23-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisagon View Post

Enjoyed this movie. I'm a big fan of all three, and looking forward to a fourth.

PS -- Thanks Ralph for all of your reviews. They are enjoyable to read, and helpful in my blu-ray decisions. Happy Holidays.

Thanks for the review Ralph. I' now looking forward to this - I had no idea there was even a movie in the works, let alone out on BluRay. Have you seen the animated (short) second movie, Dark Fury?

===========

post #14 of 84 Old 12-24-2013, 01:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ralph, thanks for another insightful review. I always enjoy reading them.

I'm a huge fan of the Riddick films, in particular "Pitch Black" and "Riddick". For anyone on the fence, my guess is that if you enjoyed the first film there's a decent chance you'll like the third. It's ironic that the less they spend making these films, the better they are, at least so far.

My wife is a fan of the series too, although I suspect she just likes watching Vin Diesel. tongue.gif

Hopefully Universal Studios makes a nice profit on Blu-ray sales so there is a compelling reason to make a fourth film in the series.
post #15 of 84 Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 312

Riddick is one of my favorite film characters of all time.  I absolutely loved Pitch Black, the animated Dark Fury (awesome artistic direction), and, of course, The Chronicles of Riddick--filled with great one liners like "I bow to no man," "'had to end sometime," "It's an animal thing," and my favorite: "should have taken the money, Tombs!"  Vin Diesel owns the character in every way.  When I first heard the Riddick trailer was released, I RAN to my computer to pull it up; what I saw left me sorely disappointed.  The scope seemed far too similar to Pitch Black, which, while a GREAT starting point for the series, didn't seem like a format that needed to be repeated.  I was expecting an epic sequel, involving things we have never seen. (Reaching the Underverse in grand fashion and turning it on it's head, perhaps?)  I ended up skipping this film's theatrical run on purpose, wondering what inspired Twohy to take this route.  Now that I know it was shot independently, the scope makes a little more sense to me, and I'm more inclined to buy it.  The great A/V will certainly help to defeat the persistent sense of nostalgia I expect while watching the film. This will be an absolute purchase for me, based on the combination of the awesome universe Twohy has created and the sheer drive it took to get this movie made. I look forward to hearing every "shhling" of a knife blade, and every "splash" of blood.  Thanks for this review, Ralph!

Ralph Potts likes this.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #16 of 84 Old 12-24-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbrit View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph. I' now looking forward to this - I had no idea there was even a movie in the works, let alone out on BluRay. Have you seen the animated (short) second movie, Dark Fury?

Dark Fury is absolutely awesome.  The art design in that film is outstanding.  There are so many tense moments, it's unbelievable.  (Fighting in foam, anyone?:cool:)

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #17 of 84 Old 12-24-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 356
I watched the Director's Cut the other night and pretty much feel exactly the same as Ralph does on his excellent review. I was floored at times with how good this looks on Blu-ray and it will become one of my showcase pieces for demos. Contrast and black level detail were phenominal.

As for the Director's Cut vs the Theatrical, there is a bit more development in the story in the beginning before Riddick is abandoned on the planet with the Necros. It doesn't add much to the story overall though. The ending is where the biggest differences lie. The end of the theatrical is a pretty definitive ending whereas the Director's Cut sees more of an open ended ending that propels the story into more. I have a feeling that with the theatrical run making at least 3x's the budget for the film this is a sign that Universal will greenlight the next film in the series and this ending pretty much sets that up. I wonder if Twohy would have even included this scene if it hadn't.
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #18 of 84 Old 12-24-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I watched the Director's Cut the other night and pretty much feel exactly the same as Ralph does on his excellent review. I was floored at times with how good this looks on Blu-ray and it will become one of my showcase pieces for demos. Contrast and black level detail were phenominal.

As for the Director's Cut vs the Theatrical, there is a bit more development in the story in the beginning before Riddick is abandoned on the planet with the Necros. It doesn't add much to the story overall though. The ending is where the biggest differences lie. The end of the theatrical is a pretty definitive ending whereas the Director's Cut sees more of an open ended ending that propels the story into more. I have a feeling that with the theatrical run making at least 3x's the budget for the film this is a sign that Universal will greenlight the next film in the series and this ending pretty much sets that up. I wonder if Twohy would have even included this scene if it hadn't.

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts Kris. Posts from you and Dave remind me of old times... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #19 of 84 Old 12-24-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
I liked this movie. I was surprised and it seemed better than expected. biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #20 of 84 Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Thanks for the review Ralph, definite blind buy for me.

Frank

post #21 of 84 Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Riddick is one of my favorite film characters of all time.  I absolutely loved Pitch Black, the animated Dark Fury (awesome artistic direction), and, of course, The Chronicles of Riddick--filled with great one liners like "I bow to no man," "'had to end sometime," "It's an animal thing," and my favorite: "should have taken the money, Tombs!"  Vin Diesel owns the character in every way.  When I first heard the Riddick trailer was released, I RAN to my computer to pull it up; what I saw left me sorely disappointed.  The scope seemed far too similar to Pitch Black, which, while a GREAT starting point for the series, didn't seem like a format that needed to be repeated.  I was expecting an epic sequel, involving things we have never seen. (Reaching the Underverse in grand fashion and turning it on it's head, perhaps?)  I ended up skipping this film's theatrical run on purpose, wondering what inspired Twohy to take this route.  Now that I know it was shot independently, the scope makes a little more sense to me, and I'm more inclined to buy it.  The great A/V will certainly help to defeat the persistent sense of nostalgia I expect while watching the film. This will be an absolute purchase for me, based on the combination of the awesome universe Twohy has created and the sheer drive it took to get this movie made. I look forward to hearing every "shhling" of a knife blade, and every "splash" of blood.  Thanks for this review, Ralph!

I'm also a big Riddick fan. I even liked Chronicles a bit more than the first (only saw the Director's Cut) because of how it developed the character more and also with how it expanded the film's universe. In anticipation of the third film I even went and bought the Riddick video game (the 360 version, which has both the original Xbox game and the sequel) because it shows the origin of Riddick's eye shine, and also gives more insight into the character's background - and it was also guided by Twohy and voiced by Vin. It seems like a better prequel story than the "Into Pitch Black" short film, which has some inconsistencies with how things played out later.

Anyway, I was disappointed with where they went with the "Riddick" sequel, since it was just a repeat of the premise of the first film. I too was hoping for them to explore the story developed in Chronicles, and take that forward on a grander level. However, with the disappointing box office performance of Chronicles, I can understand why they made that move. They would have never gotten the funding for another grand epic. The director also said that he wants the next film after this one to expand on the story set up in Chronicles, and either conclude it by going to Furia or the Underverse (or both). I'm looking forward to THAT film, since this one, while not exactly horrible, was a bit of a let down for me, and easily comes in behind the first two in terms of its enjoyability. It tries to recreate the greatness of the first, but doesn't do a good job of it. It's a rehash, but you can't connect with the characters like you could in the first. Riddick seems like more of a jerk in this one too. I do respect the lengths they had to go to in order to get it made though, and I applaud them for that. I'll probably check out the Director's Cut eventually, to see if it makes me like the film any more than when I saw it in theatres.

Since this one seems to have been fairly profitable, I hope they get the green light for the next sequel and are able to end it in style by going back to Furia and finally showing where Riddick's hidden (even from him) powers come from, and what his ultimate destiny is.
post #22 of 84 Old 12-28-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
The ending of this new one certainly sets up another biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #23 of 84 Old 12-28-2013, 07:54 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

The ending of this new one certainly sets up another biggrin.gif

Yeah, the unrated cut adds an alternate ending that is a LOT better than the theatrical release. WELCOME TO THE UNDERVERSE!!!! eek.gif
post #24 of 84 Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you got your numbers from, but world wide it only made about 2.5x the budget. Domestically however, it only made $4 Million over its budget, which is more important since that's what the studios look at when deciding to make a sequel or not. Generally, films need to make about 2x the budget domestically to be considered a success (from what I understand they only get about 1/2 the take of domestic ticket sales, and even less of the foreign ticket sales).

With those results, a sequel is not automatically in the bag. I really hope they make one, and Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
go to the underverse like the new ending sets up
though. I guess we'll see. There will need to be some strong DVD/Blu Ray sales to give it a good chance.
post #25 of 84 Old 12-30-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Sorry for the bad math but I was pretty close for worldwide. I'm sure it will do pretty well on video like the others did. Hopefully another one will be in the cards. It made more theatrically in relation to its budget than the other two did, which is a good sign.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #26 of 84 Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Riddick is the third installment in the sci-fi/thriller/action film franchise

Third theatre release.

There were the little ones too:
a) Pitch Black: Slam City (2000) 8 minutes here
b) "The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (2004)" 35 minutes, which was included on the BluRay collection set
c) Riddick: Blindsided (2013) 6 minutes. here

Blindsided is a motion comic based on storyboarded scenes of the third film that didn't make the theatrical cut. It takes place shortly before the events of Riddick and bridges that film with the previous one. The director's cut of Riddick reinserts most of the material covered in Blindsided back into the film. It was released online a month before the release of the third film to generate buzz and it's also included with the movie's home video release.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #27 of 84 Old 01-01-2014, 06:28 PM

Interesting. Never new about slam city. The events of how he actually got his eye shine are explained differently in the Escape from Butcher Bay game though, and that had the participation of Twohy, so it can probably be considered canon. The way he explains it in Pitch Black is how he chose to remember it, because he couldn't understand what happened I believe.

Edit: the mention of his eye shine in this latest film also leans towards the explanation in the game and not the one in slam city.
post #28 of 84 Old 01-01-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:

It made more theatrically in relation to its budget than the other two did, which is a good sign.

Again, the key difference is the domestic take. Pitch Black made 1.7x its budget back in domestic sales, whereas Riddick only made 1.1x its budget back domestically. So in the end, I would say that Pitch Black still made the most profit theatrically, which made it much easier to get the green light for the sequel.

Don't get me wrong, I really want a 4th film too, but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.
post #29 of 84 Old 01-02-2014, 01:43 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Ralph - as far as story goes and being the most recent installment of the Riddick movies, I couldn't have said it any better than you.

I knew I was going to watch it and also didn't have high expectations and thus, enjoyed it for what it was - a simple A to B action adventure film with Riddick.
post #30 of 84 Old 01-08-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I liked this movie..saw it twice at the theaters..and it will make a good trilogy collection as I'm hoping it's the last one. It ended the way it should. I still like Pitch Black best, this one second and Chronicles third. I've enjoyed multiple viewings of all and who could want more than that from any movie?. I do hope though, that this is the last one rolleyes.gif.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Riddick Unrated Directors Cut Hd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page