Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2013
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Chloe Grace Moretz, Judy Greer, Portia Doubleday, Julianne Moore
Directed by: Kimberly Peirce
Music by: Marco Beltrami
Written by: Lawrence D. Cohen & Roberto Aguierre-Sacasa
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 14, 2014

"You will know her name"

Film Synopsis:

Carrie is a reimagining of the classic horror tale about Carrie White (Chloë Grace Moretz), a shy girl outcast by her peers and sheltered by her deeply religious mother (Julianne Moore), who unleashes telekinetic terror on her small town after being pushed too far at her senior prom.

My Take:

Based on the novel by Stephen King, Carrie tells the story of a tortured high-school misfit with no confidence, no friends... and no idea about the extent of her secret powers of telekinesis. But when her psychotic mother and sadistic classmates finally go too far, the once-shy teen becomes an unrestrained, vengeance-seeking powerhouse who, with the help of her 'special gift,' causes all hell to break loose in a famed cinematic frenzy of blood, fire and brimstone!

I am a fan of the original “Carrie” directed by Brian DePalma starring Sissy Spacek, and while I was curious about this re-imaging I opted to pass on seeing it in the theater in favor of waiting for home video/Blu-ray. As with the original film the opening locker room sequence is pretty disturbing. You would like to hope that in real life people wouldn’t be as cruel but its emphasis is important and sets the stage for what is to come.

When I was younger I always thought of Carrie as a straight up horror film. I think this was based on the creepy house she lived in, the religious aspects attached to her crazy mother, and of course the great ending. The first time I saw it the ending scared the crap out of me. Viewing the story as an adult I see it a bit differently. I have more empathy for this young, naïve girl who has to deal not only with the problems inherent in being a teenager but her fanatical mother who has kept her emotionally and physically stunted. She finds out that she has telekinetic abilities and has enough sense to do a little research on it. Initially it seems as though her telekinesis is based upon impulse/emotion but she quickly learns to control it. She is surrounded by mean spirited people and seems to have a friend in Ms. Desjardin the gym teacher.

After the incident in the girl’s locker room Ms. Desjardin punishes those responsible with calisthenics based detention. One of the girls feels remorse and asks her boyfriend, who is the school’s top jock, to take Carrie to the senior prom. The leader of the pack of female wolves who have been tormenting Carrie decides to pull a viscous prank during the prom. Of course they have no idea what they are unleashing.

The story’s primary narrative components above remain intact in this re-imaging. As far as the story goes there is timelessness to its concept, however this script heightens the elements surrounding the protagonist’s victimization by each and every student at the school. In 1976 when the first film was made the idea of bullying, parental abuse etc. was something that was much less at the forefront of social consciousness but today it is simply viewed/handled much differently. Making this film in a contemporary environment it would have been simple to tweak certain aspects of the storyline to bring it a bit more in line with today’s audience. Watching what went on and to the extent that it did seem largely implausible. Additionally the minor changes employed especially the silly minor subplot surrounding “Sue” which is later tied in with the alternate ending, made little sense particularly for those seeing the theatrical ending.

Much of what the original film was is simply re-hashed here. What that leaves is something that doesn’t resonate as deeply but feels more like a lesser effort. The updated special effects and their implementation are fine. Aside from Carrie and her mother the characters aren’t as effectively drawn within the thematic context of the plotline. I am not 100 percent sure that Chloe Grace Moretz was a solid fit for Carrie. She is a fine actress and I like her but seeing her in the role of a victim like this required use of the imagination. Julianne Moore was perfectly at home in the role of her mother Margret White but I must admit to finding the tandem of Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie to be better. The alternate ending is an attempt to coincide more with original film’s ending but doesn’t hold up any better than the theatrical version.

As a fan of the classic Stephen King story of Carrie it would be unfair to say that I completely disliked this re-imaged take on it but at the end of the day it simply comes up short. The original didn’t need a facelift and still works quite well even 37 years later.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for bloody violence, disturbing images, language and some sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Carrie comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This is a dark film both in tone and visual design and this video presentation capably conveys that. The use of muted secondary colors gives the film a stark visual aesthetic that coincides with the subject matter. When brighter elements such as shades of red, or blue are present, they have a vivid and pleasing quality. More often than not fleshtones lean toward lighter/pale looking complexions however I noticed livelier tonality during several sequences that utilized warmer accent lighting and deeper color emphasis. Detail in dark areas and low lighting is above average which provides discernible but limited visibility within backgrounds. Blacks are respectable but not definitively rich in contrast. High definition resolution is satisfying as close ups are well delineated and long range visuals are reasonably sharp. While not among the best high definition offerings on Blu-ray I found little to complain about with the overall quality of this video presentation.

I think this is a well designed lossless audio presentation that plays well to the film’s thematic components. It effectively uses the entire sound field to elicit reaction to sounds emanating from differing vantage points based on the camera’s perspective (meaning the subject onscreen). The soundtrack is enhanced by rich clarity, punchy dynamics and robust bass that appropriately support the film’s supernatural elements. Dialogue through the center channel is crystal clear and maintains a position of prominence within the front soundstage. The beautifully crafted music permeates the listening area with its light instrumentation and superlative tonal balance. This surround mix capably handles the subtle intricacies thrown at by this sneaky good soundtrack as it augments the enjoyment of this film.

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical and Theatrical with alternate ending are included

• (HD) 9 Deleted/Extended scenes with optional director commentary

• Audio commentary with director Kimberly Peirce

• (HD) The power of telekinesis – 4 minute featurette

• (HD) Telekinetic Coffee shop surprise – 2 minute NYC prank

• (HD) “Tina on fire” stunt double dailies with optional director commentary

• (HD) Creating Carrie – 21 minute making of featurette

• Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel by Stephen King Carrie is a re-imagining of the 1976 film version directed by Brian DePalma which starred Sissy Spacek. Director Kimberly Peirce and screenwriters Lawrence D. Cohen & Roberto Aguierre-Sacasa’s vision doesn’t prove as engaging as the original and ultimately comes off as a lesser effort with updated special effects. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring a solid high definition audio/video presentation mated with a fair supplemental offering that is worth checking out especially if you enjoyed the film. I particularly liked the Telekinetic Coffee Shop prank which is priceless and well worth the time/effort it took to set up. Carrie isn’t the classic that its predecessor is but for fans of both the genre and original film its got something to offer. If you’re curious give it a rent on Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Bunga99 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Really, Hit Girl as a victim? I agree poor choice for the role, though in the end I guess she brings her inner Hit Girl to life. So all's good. smile.gif

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #3 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Nice review as always Mr. Potts............mediocre film, but as a Horror movie buff I will get this for the collection.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thx for the review.

After reading it I remembered that another reviewer thought this one was better than the original. I tried to find that review but failed. Maybe I will remember where I read it. Too bad this one is not as good as the original as I really like Chloe as an actress - just watch Hugo and Let Me In and you know what I mean.

Cheers
post #5 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Nice review Ralph. This film has been re-made several times. The original is still the best, IMO.
post #6 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post

Thx for the review.

After reading it I remembered that another reviewer thought this one was better than the original. I tried to find that review but failed. Maybe I will remember where I read it. Too bad this one is not as good as the original as I really like Chloe as an actress - just watch Hugo and Let Me In and you know what I mean.

Cheers

I had been wanting to see this for the longest time.

But then some of the initial reviews when it finally came out, weren't all that great. But as time went on it got some really good reviews.

With any remake I try to not dwell on the old and just focus on the new.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #7 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm going to go ahead and pick this up for the genere factor, I like horror and can't be as bad as some of this other dreck that we've been plagued with. I'll enjoy it later on a rainy evening or something.

Thanks again king P, no body does it better ! smile.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEFAN67 View Post

I'm going to go ahead and pick this up for the genere factor, I like horror and can't be as bad as some of this other dreck that we've been plagued with. I'll enjoy it later on a rainy evening or something.

Greetings,

Sounds like a plan EAGLEFAN67 and you're quite welcome my friend. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #9 of 16 Old 01-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I can't argue with your take on Chloe Moretz--especially after watching Kick Ass 2 several times. But I'm a big fan of Chloe so this is a must buy for me and I am looking forward to seeing her in this role. Even though it is a stretch to consider her as a frumpy teen when she is anything but. At least one aspect of this remake better aligns with the book in that Chloe plays Carrie at a more accurate age. smile.gif

Bob

post #10 of 16 Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEFAN67 View Post

The ending of this movie is so awesome!! With that being said its worth the buy!!

HT: PJ: ?? , Screen: ??,B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62 / DIY SI 18" / port tuned- 17hz
Onkyo 809, iNuke DSP1000, Oppo 103 , PS4, HTPC- Lenovo q190.
| Media Room: Yamaha RX-A 820, PS3, Vizio 55 (M-Series) with in-wall Polk Audio RC series (5-channel), Sub1200 (dual) w/ DirectTV & PS3 / PLEX | Family Room: LED: Sharp 70" -Smart, DTV Client, PS3, Mirage MX 5.1 / HK Audio.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-02-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Reason number one to own this blu (at risk of revealing a possibly pervy obsession): CGM's lips. Sorry, just has to be accounted for in the overall delight this blind purchase provided. Reason number is two is also going to have to be those classic curvy lips -- just fascinated with them. In fact, this brings us around to the primary hurdle of credibility to overcome: not only is CGM every bit as gorgeous as the actress playing the Sue character, but this is the supremely, lethally prepossessed Hit Girl we are asked to believe is such an irremediably ineffectual outcast -- someone who might be almost totally invisible were it not for the all-too-obvious collapsed-on-oneself postures and poses and the shrinking and slinking through the hallways and blinking and peeping through mortified cow eyes and looking like a refugee from that polygamous cult of some years ago.

It would have been an incredible triumph of extraordinary acting panache to pull off both those hairpin 180 characterizations, and I don't think CGM, good as she is, quite pulled it off. On the other hand, if you are going to cast her, at least give her the goods to work with. I might have liked to see what she would do as a character who has a much greater introspective sense of self and confidence, but is also painfully aware there is no place for her in the social world. I think they may have been trying to get at that through her growing awareness of the power she comes into, but ultimately it is missing the mark by quite some degree.

Also, has to be said that a person this maliciously and relentlessly taunted is never going to so easily assent to attending prom with someone she only knows as peripheral to one of her primary tormentors, late-breaking conscience notwithstanding. This interaction/relationship between Carrie and ad hoc spontaneous suitor demanded some very smart writing and much more cleverly revealed shared bonding and intimacy for Carrie to even trust him enough to conduct a simple conversation, let alone show her morph into this blossoming debutante of the ball -- all after a few scant, almost inappropriate, awkward overtures. In this I think the current filmmaker seems to rely upon our prior familiarity with the character -- but back to casting CGM, you've just obliterated all that made Spacek instantly believable, though material and habitation within the role were of higher order there as well.

Also, thought all the dramatic gesticulations intended to accentuate the wielding/implementation of her power, were overmuch, inevitably histrionic, and rather like the wagon-borne snake-oil magician of a more innocent century. Would have vastly preferred something much more unfathomably enigmatic -- like involuntary micro-seizures, or some such thing. That said, I loved certain of the techniques of demise depicted in the cataclysmic crescendo -- and unlike Ralph here I think, I would not mind if they remade every good or great "stand-alone" film with contemporaneous production values and current actors, simply to redo the effects and soundtrack with all the impressiveness those elements can bring to bear -- very hard to throw the old CARRIE on for a spin when the system yearns for the unbridled confluence of symphonic or synth-driven majesty, dynamic foley, and slammin' LFE into that lossless cacophonous high-drama sonic barrage to massage the ears.

Speaking of the soundtrack -- check out the trailer for CARRIE on this disc -- presented in vanilla DOLBY, nevertheless the LFE completely rocks off the charts, which shows that marketing is quite aware that such sweet assault sells tickets, yet when it comes to the production itself, we get weak-kneed timidity and tasteful restraint. What's up wit dat? Also, Ralph drew attention to it, but absolute genius is the coffee shop set-up, which, if memory serves, is prefaced by cast interviews as to whether they tend to believe in the phenomenon of telekinesis. What you then see in the faces of the unsuspecting patrons is that many of our cosmopolitan and commonly sophisticated modern populace are perhaps unknowingly just on that very brink of complete and total acceptance of its absolute reality. Just priceless, and very well played.

Lastly, yet again got to say, Ralph you pretty much nailed this one with your review, some intelligent writing could have made this film truly great. I happen to think CGM might easily have rendered a brilliant portrayal with material so well-conceived that everything naturally fell into place whilst still on the page, but given the gulf of challenge to verisimilitude this casting undertakes, too much of what we are shown is not properly knitted together.

Still an exceptionally fun ride for an evening, a solid blind buy..... and Chloe's lips....Oh, also check the ROBOCOP trailer -- SLAMMIN'!
post #12 of 16 Old 02-19-2014, 01:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Only made it about an hour in and had to turn it off. What a terrible waste of time. The color grading is pretty terrible as well. Lots of ugly skin tones, but those take a back seat to the utterly bad performances. Stick with the novel and original movie. I wouldn't even recommend this as a rental.

On a side note, I'm a big fan of Chloe Grace Moretz, but she feels out of place in this movie. Considering the disappointing performances by pretty much everyone, blame likely lies with a poor screenwriter and bad director.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #13 of 16 Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Finally got around to watching Carrie on blu-ray last night and rather enjoyed it. The audio and video were good from my perspective, and I never found myself bored at any point. The only problem I see with the film was that Chloe Grace Moretz is far too cute to have ever been a loner. I'd think that most of the boys would have been chasing after her, thereby bringing her out of her shyness (at least at school). Anyway, I'm glad to have this one in my collection and will watch it again soon.

Thanks for the review, Ralph!

Edit: I should mention that I saw the original Carrie many years ago, but wasn't a fan of Sissy Spacek at the time (although I am now), so didn't think much of the movie back then. Perhaps it's time to take another look at it.

oz

Last edited by ozar; 07-20-2014 at 11:06 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Why anyone would buy this vs. just renting is beyond me.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-30-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Really, Hit Girl as a victim? I agree poor choice for the role, though in the end I guess she brings her inner Hit Girl to life. So all's good.
Don't forget deadly Vampire
post #16 of 16 Old 07-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Really, Hit Girl as a victim? I agree poor choice for the role, though in the end I guess she brings her inner Hit Girl to life. So all's good.
Don't forget deadly Vampire
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Carrie 2013 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Carrie by PriceGrabber.com