Rush (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 105 Old 02-12-2014, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The disc was great. Might have enjoyed it even more the 2nd time around.

F1 rocked in the 60's, 70, 80's and even a bit into the 90's.

Not been so good the last 15 years or so though there have been a couple of good seasons.

The cars have gotten ridiculous. Yeah, they are quite safe but I miss the old school cars from the 70's and 80's especially.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 105 Old 02-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yeah remember traction/launch control and grooved tires? And how about KERS? rolleyes.gif

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #63 of 105 Old 02-14-2014, 05:05 AM

Liked: 10
Great movie and one of thr best of 2013 and the best racing movie in my opinion. Sound is just awesome
post #64 of 105 Old 02-14-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Greetings,

I am pleased to hear that everyone is enjoying Rush on Blu-ray. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #65 of 105 Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Soo glad I picked this up. I've had different groups of buddies over to watch it, so I've seen it three times already. Yes, the starts of the races are insane in terms of audio bliss. The acting was phenomenal, the pacing was great...Ron Howard really knows how to make a good movie. This is definitely going to be one of my go to movies when I scan through my collection and debate which one to watch. Don't hesitate - buy it!

post #66 of 105 Old 02-17-2014, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Rented this movie over the weekend based on the review here, and LOVED it !!!!!!!!!!.. I really like Niki Lauda's role in the film, yes it was a complete dick as far as anyone's normal thought on how a human should act in society. But, he showed compassion to something he loved (more then just one thing don't want to ruin it) he was straight forward and honest not to just his beliefs but in general. And no matter what a person thought about him he stay true to himself which Ironically could be said about James Hunt.

Ralph thanks for the grat review if you didn't do it I would not have seen this gem!!! I'll definetly pick this one up in the future!
post #67 of 105 Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

I liked Rush and the cinematography to capture the feel of open wheel racing was outstanding.

My only problem was that there was too much focus on Niki Lauda and not enough on James Hunt. Rush was supposed to be about their rivalry and it played more as a biography/homage to Lauda and didn't pay enough attention to Hunt.

I can kinda of see your point but this film was basically told by Lauda. He was the narrator in the beginning and the end, so it makes sense why it would seem like it had more focus on him then hunt. I'm sure that if Hunt was the one who told the story it would've been the opposite. Why Ron Howard decided to do it this way I'm not sure. I think that if he wanted to be specifically about the rivalry of the two , The narrative should be done by a third person fan,spectator, journalist,etc....

Besides, of the two men who would've been better at telling the story? The Jerky German with daddy issues, or the Playboy Aussie with the alcohol addicition wink.gif lol
post #68 of 105 Old 02-17-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glantern30 View Post

I can kinda of see your point but this film was basically told by Lauda. He was the narrator in the beginning and the end, so it makes sense why it would seem like it had more focus on him then hunt. I'm sure that if Hunt was the one who told the story it would've been the opposite. Why Ron Howard decided to do it this way I'm not sure. I think that if he wanted to be specifically about the rivalry of the two , The narrative should be done by a third person fan,spectator, journalist,etc....

Besides, of the two men who would've been better at telling the story? The Jerky German with daddy issues, or the Playboy Aussie with the alcohol addicition wink.gif lol

EDIT: Playboy Brit not aussie smile.gif
post #69 of 105 Old 02-17-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by glantern30 View Post

Rented this movie over the weekend based on the review here, and LOVED it !!!!!!!!!!.. I really like Niki Lauda's role in the film, yes it was a complete dick as far as anyone's normal thought on how a human should act in society. But, he showed compassion to something he loved (more then just one thing don't want to ruin it) he was straight forward and honest not to just his beliefs but in general. And no matter what a person thought about him he stay true to himself which Ironically could be said about James Hunt.

Ralph thanks for the grat review if you didn't do it I would not have seen this gem!!! I'll definetly pick this one up in the future!

Greetings,

Awesome glantern30. Glad to hear you enjoyed and thanks for posting your thoughts. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #70 of 105 Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM

I think the story being told from Lauda's POV has much to do with the fact he is here to tell it.
That being said, I do think it makes for a more compelling story from his perspective
glantern30 and Taranteacher like this.

post #71 of 105 Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. In fact I am so excited to see it that I might just go buy it without a rent. For those of you who really enjoy a good documentary but also really like racing and this movie I HIGHLY encourage you to watch "Senna" which is about the career of Ayrton Senna. Very good documentary that even moved me to tears.

I agree, Senna was a spectacular movie, even my wife loved it! I think the fact that it was an actual documentary is what made it special.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #72 of 105 Old 02-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post

I agree, Senna was a spectacular movie, even my wife loved it! I think the fact that it was an actual documentary is what made it special. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That last scene with him getting ready to climb in his car….very eerie.

Spoiler tags, people... rolleyes.gif
post #73 of 105 Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Spoiler tags, people... rolleyes.gif

Sorry about that.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #74 of 105 Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
It's a documentary, why the need to use spoiler tags? How else does he get into the car? You already know the outcome. Very well done, I ordered it on Blu ray as soon as it was available.
post #75 of 105 Old 02-23-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

It's a documentary, why the need to use spoiler tags? How else does he get into the car? You already know the outcome. Very well done, I ordered it on Blu ray as soon as it was available.

I have to disagree...I knew nothing of the film other than the fact that people recommended it. Spoiler tags are always welcomed, IMO.
post #76 of 105 Old 02-23-2014, 11:22 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:

Not everyone knows the story (including me), so spoiler tags are always a nice courtesy nod.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #77 of 105 Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 AM

I didn't mean to spoil, I erased the last sentence in my post, but it is quoted later in the thread.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #78 of 105 Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 PM

There's a terrific BBC show called "Clash of the Titans"…there's an episode about Lauda/Hunt. It's also on youtube.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #79 of 105 Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:

I didn't mean to spoil, I erased the last sentence in my post, but it is quoted later in the thread.

Corrected mine as well. Apologies accepted ceptorman. wink.gif
post #80 of 105 Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Corrected mine as well. Apologies accepted ceptorman. wink.gif

Cool…..thanks!

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #81 of 105 Old 02-24-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Not everyone knows the story (including me), so spoiler tags are always a nice courtesy nod.

I am serious when I ask this question. So an incident I witnessed the day it happened on TV due to me being of the correct age have to not speak of the crash because you didn't know about it? rolleyes.gif
It is not a forum violation. It has been discussed before if I recall?
post #82 of 105 Old 02-24-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post

Great great movie.

My wife even considers it the best movie of the year. Might have helped that I was actually in Monza 1978 when Ronnie Peterson died (caused some problems between James Hunt and Riccardo Patrese). My fellow country man is incredible believable as Nicki Lauda. One would never believe that he is from the former East part of Germany acting as an Austrian.
Best movie by Ron Howard in a very long time. Highly recommended

I didn't realize just how accurately he nailed Lauda's accent, vocal tones, and mannerisms until I watched "1" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2518788/ which has Lauda in it. It's almost creepy how good Bruhl is in this.

Looky here!
post #83 of 105 Old 02-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I didn't realize just how accurately he nailed Lauda's accent, vocal tones, and mannerisms until I watched "1" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2518788/ which has Lauda in it. It's almost creepy how good Bruhl is in this.

That's in line with how much Hemsworth looks like Hunt….yes excellent movie.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #84 of 105 Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:

I am serious when I ask this question. So an incident I witnessed the day it happened on TV due to me being of the correct age have to not speak of the crash because you didn't know about it? rolleyes.gif

OK, I now feel the need to clarify:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It was not the fact that we didn't or did know that Senna died the way he did. Come to think of it, who willingly goes on this thread, showing interest in a movie such as Rush, potentially buying it for their collection, etc, and remain oblivious to these men's fates--Senna included? BUT, in my case, having not even ever heard of the Senna documentary, and being seriously interested in viewing it after it was mentioned on this thread, I would've prefered NOT to read Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
how the ending MAKES YOU FEEL. Did I know he died? YES. Did I know how he died? YES. Why then would I be interested in watching a documentary about it? Why then would anybody be interested in watching Rush? Why have so many people shared so many multiple viewings--3D included--of Titanic, for that matter???
Do you see what I'm getting at? NO? Well, in my case, I view a film for whatever it can give me, whatever it can make me feel. The impact comes from filmmakers' decisions and that is exactly what I value when it is done right. Having read Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
"That last scene with him getting ready to climb in his car….very eerie"
is already ruining the experience of my watching it because Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
it is already influencing what I am to expect to be THE LAST SCENE and HOW I AM SUPPOSED TO FEEL,
both of which I wouldn't have known anything about until having seen the thing. Also, be it as known as it is that Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
he died a certain way,
one can suspect that some viewer, for any number of reasons, doesn't even know about or hasn't even heard of Ayrton Senna and the experience would be that much the greater for him/her.

Rant over. rolleyes.gif

Did you see what I did there? wink.gif
post #85 of 105 Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:

That's in line with how much Hemsworth looks like Hunt….yes excellent movie.

I agree, ceptorman, of the many ingredients needed to cook up a good film, the cast is a major one, and in this movie the whole cast is just great. Moreover, both Hemsworth and Bruhl are fabulous in Rush! cool.gif
post #86 of 105 Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 AM

I am particularly impressed with Bruhl, he definitely nails the Austrian accent as opposed to a German one.
And I do agree, Helmsworth looks so much like Hunt it's errie. Also kudos for the fact he is Australian but sounds perfectly British like Hunt

post #87 of 105 Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:

It is a nice courtesy nod to other members who might not be familiar with the story though to keep that type of info in spoilers. If you don't care about being courteous, then do whatever you want.

I am looking forward to watching this today hopefully.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #88 of 105 Old 02-25-2014, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 126
Quote:

One of the reasons Ralph and Lee's forum keeps so many of us coming back for more - in addition to the amazing reviews, of course - is the fact that the people here are typically friendly and respectful. So even if you're not going against forum rules, per se, maybe just consider the fact that a few of us have indicated that spoiler tags are appreciated? Even with films based on true events, some of us may not be familiar with what happened.

Or, like Toe said, just disregard and do as you please...
Ralph Potts and Toe like this.
post #89 of 105 Old 02-26-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the recommendations gentlemen. I was under the assumption that those replying to my spoiling something have the actual physical disc and case it arrived in? I'm still trying to figure out what I spoiled? The spoiler is actually on the rear of the Blu Ray case for those that have the disc.
post #90 of 105 Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the recommendations gentlemen. I was under the assumption that those replying to my spoiling something have the actual physical disc and case it arrived in? I'm still trying to figure out what I spoiled? The spoiler is actually on the rear of the Blu Ray case for those that have the disc.

I believe I was the one doing the spoiling, when I mentioned the "Senna" movie.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Rush Blu Ray Dvd Digital Hd With Ultraviolet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page