Feature running time: 123 minutes
Genre: Drama/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Daniel Bruhl, Olivia Wilde, Alexandra Maria Lara, Pierfrancesco Favino
Directed by: Ron Howard
Music by: Hans Zimmer
Written by: Peter Morgan
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 28, 2014

"Based on a true story"

Film Synopsis:

Two-time Academy Award® winner Ron Howard delivers the exhilarating true story of a legendary rivalry that rocked the world. During the sexy and glamorous golden age of Formula 1 racing, two drivers emerged as the best: gifted English playboy James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth, The Avengers) and his methodical, brilliant Austrian opponent, Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl, Inglourious Basterds). As
they mercilessly clash on and off the Grand Prix racetrack, the two drivers push themselves to the breaking point of physical and psychological endurance, where there’s no shortcut to victory and no margin for error. Co-starring Olivia Wilde (TRON: Legacy), it’s the heart-racing, epic action drama that critics are calling “one of the best movies of this, or any, year” (Pete Hammond, Movieline).

My Take:

As most who read my reviews know I am generally drawn to films based on real people/events and although I knew nothing about Formula 1 racing going into Rush I came away from it with a deep appreciation for those behind the wheel. This is a story not just about auto racing but about two men who in 1976 captured the attention of the world. James Hunt and Niki Lauda two very different men from different countries shared something in common, an indomitable will to win. Niki Lauda, the intellectual approach to his craft, underscored by heart and technical skill and James Hunt, charismatic, handsome, and philandering with an instinctive approach to his craft which was fueled by adrenaline.

Empowered by an intense rivalry that would push each man to the precipice of greatness the 1976 season would culminate in a series of standoffs that begged the question…can you beat the odds?

This is a fascinating film/story that seems to capture the spirit of the uncompromising intensity of these men both apart and together. At its heart Rush is a character driven film but likewise there is a rich, raw and edgy quality to the thematic thrills that overshadows the drama. Peter Morgan’s script does a superlative job drawing the characters of Niki Lauda and James Hunt and inserting them within the narrative framework. There is a wonderfully involving shift that occurs as the storyline develops. Neither Niki or James is especially likeable but James’ charisma and live for today approach to life make him a bit more appealing to the audience. Niki is curt, conceited and brash which makes him less likely to root for. Over the course of the film those lines blur not so much through transference but with an empathetic understanding derived from a perspective seen through each man’s eyes.

What remains is the thrill of the suspense found in the racing sequences which are marvelously shot and choreographed. Director Ron Howard and director of photography Anthony Dod Mantle draw the audience in with tight camera work, white knuckle flinching moments and spot on editing that captures some of the raw emotion and power of the on field competition. Both Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl are to be commended on their portrayals of Lauda and Hunt.

Rush is as big as its biographical subjects. I loved its visceral honesty and evocative drama which when mated with its subtly crafted yet completely involving action made for a compelling and gratifying film experience that reminds me why I am a film enthusiast.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content, nudity, language, some disturbing images and brief drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Rush comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

This high definition video presentation offers clear, refined images that boast a relatively subdued color palette that is rarely eye catching but conveys the period specific (1970s) elements with aplomb. The rendering of fine detail can range from exquisite to moderate. This leaves certain long range and mid level shots with less dimensionality but not to the point of appearing soft. Black levels fluctuate however contrast is stable which when coupled along with the prevailing use of sepia/low level lighting mates well with the visual style of the presentation. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts/anomalies.

Like the video presentation, the 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack doesn’t disappoint. This is an entertaining audio presentation that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated. Sound effects traverse the room during the racing sequences. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. There is no ultra-low frequency content contained here however where appropriate there is ample bass tactility and room resonating response that will keep your subwoofer thumping along. Dialogue has excellent soundstage presence with clear, defining vocal character and excellent room penetration. This is a top notch audio/video presentation that complimented the subject matter.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) * Exclusive Race for the Checkered Flag: The Making of Rush (5 segments totaling 23 minutes):
    1. Peter Morgan on Writing Rush— A look at the work of the Oscar®-nominated screenwriter (Last King of Scotland, The Queen) and how he creates screenplays known for exquisite drama, characters, authenticity and passion.

2. Finding James and Niki—Chris Hemsworth talks about researching his character using archival reports and footage, and Daniel Brühl reveals his real-life encounter with Niki Lauda as a guest on the Austrian driver’s private jet.
    3. The Light of Speed and Filming F1—Oscar®-winning cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle discusses the intricacies of filming Rush and how he achieved the film’s breathtaking race sequences with camera technology and skills never before possible.
    4. Around the World in One Location—Ron Howard and the filmmaking team explain how they created the illusion of filming all over the world while shooting almost entirely in the UK.
    5. Fashion and Styles of the ’70s—The hair, the clothes and the colorful personalities of a glamorous decade shine as costume designer Julian Day and hair and make-up designer Fae Hammond take viewers back in time to the sexy ’70s.

• (HD) * ExclusiveThe Real Story of Rush (3 segments totaling 18 minutes):
    1. Meeting James Hunt and Niki Lauda—Members of the cast and crew and intimate friends of James Hunt and Niki Lauda share their insights in a nuanced portrait of two complex men and their complicated relationship. This short documentary also includes a rare interview with Lauda himself.
    2. F1 Take 1: F1 Racing and the F1 Car—Mechanics and pit crew from 1970s-era Formula 1 describe the intense rivalry, competition and camaraderie between the various racing teams of the time.
    3. The Rock and Roll Circus—The glamorous F1 circuit of the ’70s takes center stage in a look at the races, the music, the clothes and the lifestyle during a time “when sex was safe – and driving was dangerous.”
  • (HD) Ron Howard: A Director’s Approach—A behind-the-scenes look at director Ron Howard and how his passion for filmmaking allows him to create extraordinary films time after time – 7 minute featurette

• (HD) 10 Deleted Scenes

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Rush is a superbly crafted and engagingly executed biopic that tells the compelling story of two very different men whose rivalry and comradeship were inspired by an unflinching will to win. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring faithful high definition video involving lossless surround sound and a complimentary supplemental package that offers insightful background on the production and subject matter. Rush is a must see film that comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Taranteacher likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 01-11-2014, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Thanks for your insight Ralph.Will be checking this one out for sure.
post #3 of 104 Old 01-11-2014, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmd1 View Post

Thanks for your insight Ralph.Will be checking this one out for sure.

Greetings,

You're more than welcome. Be sure to post back once you have seen it. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 104 Old 01-11-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Greetings Ralph! smile.gif

Can't wait! this is one I've been waiting for wink.gif
post #5 of 104 Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Sweet! Looking forward to seeing this, day one buy for me!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #6 of 104 Old 01-11-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hubby and I are huge F1 fans for many years, we used to travel to Montreal yearly for the Canadian GP. We never go to movie theaters but for this one we did, it was well worth it. The story simply draws you in, it is remarkable. And so nice that there were only 8 other folks in the theater at the time we saw it smile.gif

BTW, Forza Ferrari wink.gif

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #7 of 104 Old 01-11-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 33
Great great movie.

My wife even considers it the best movie of the year. Might have helped that I was actually in Monza 1978 when Ronnie Peterson died (caused some problems between James Hunt and Riccardo Patrese). My fellow country man is incredible believable as Nicki Lauda. One would never believe that he is from the former East part of Germany acting as an Austrian.
Best movie by Ron Howard in a very long time. Highly recommended
post #8 of 104 Old 01-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Liked: 112
Excellent movie all around. Ron Howard does an amazing job of bringing the races to the big screen, and does it in a way the non racing fan will like it also….my wife loved it. Too bad he won't get any attention with this movie. I will definitely purchase the dvd.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #9 of 104 Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post

Great great movie.

My wife even considers it the best movie of the year. Might have helped that I was actually in Monza 1978 when Ronnie Peterson died (caused some problems between James Hunt and Riccardo Patrese). My fellow country man is incredible believable as Nicki Lauda. One would never believe that he is from the former East part of Germany acting as an Austrian.
Best movie by Ron Howard in a very long time. Highly recommended

Totally agree, he not only resembles Lauda but has the Austrian accent down pat.
And yes I had read that James Hunt forever blamed Patrese for Peterson's death.

When you saw it in the theater how many others were watching with you? Just curious. I knew it wouldnt be crowded what with the lack of US interest in F1 and to be honest it was a pleasure have the entire screening room practically to ourselves

post #10 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58

post #11 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 07:14 AM

Liked: 33
@rushfan2112

Glad you liked it too. We always go to the first show in the morning to avoid the crowds, so it was like always a group of around 10 people in total.

This really is by far the best racing movie out there.

Cheers
post #12 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Thanks for the review Ralph smile.gif I will be picking this one up on BD for sure. I haven't heard much about it really and that's a good thing and I'm thinking the audio should be really well done.
post #13 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 08:49 AM

Liked: 12
Great review! This and Gravity were two standouts in 2013.
post #14 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'm drawn to biopic-type and films based on true events same as you, Ralph, so even though I have little interest in racing, I'm very interested in this film.

Looking forward to it.
post #15 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post

@rushfan2112

Glad you liked it too. We always go to the first show in the morning to avoid the crowds, so it was like always a group of around 10 people in total.

This really is by far the best racing movie out there.

Cheers

We went to the day's first showing around 1pm but a guy that my hubby works with had gone the a late evening screening at the same theater and said there was about four people.
Personally I stay away from theaters because I can't stand the crowds so this turned out really nice

post #16 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 12:20 PM

Liked: 112
I saw it about the third day it was out, there were maybe 10 people in the theatre.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #17 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post

I saw it about the third day it was out, there were maybe 10 people in the theatre.

Ah, more evidence that Formula One is finally making inroads with the American racing fan rolleyes.gif

post #18 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushfan2112 View Post

Ah, more evidence that Formula One is finally making inroads with the American racing fan rolleyes.gif

I think a lot more people in the US would watch it if we had an American team. I've been hoping for years. That said I enjoy it but don't watch like I used to. Chevrolet racing team? It's time!
post #19 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 PM

I think you have a point there comfy, even having an American driver (Scott Speed) did little. I would like to point out however that back in the old days my late father loved F1 - the 60's and early 70's era.
And his interest in the sport had little to do with Mario Andretti's involvement (his favorite drivers were Jackie Stewart and Ronnie Peterson)

NASCAR at that time was but a "southern" series. We didnt follow it nor care to. It was strictly open wheelers as it is to this day for myself.

Ford needs to get back into F1, they a proud have a history in the sport

post #20 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you have a point there comfy, even having an American driver (Scott Speed) did little. I would like to point out however that back in the old days my late father loved F1 - the 60's and early 70's era.
And his interest in the sport had little to do with Mario Andretti's involvement (his favorite drivers were Jackie Stewart and Ronnie Peterson)

NASCAR at that time was but a "southern" series. We didnt follow it nor care to. It was strictly open wheelers as it is to this day for myself.

Yes or Ford. We have the technology to be competitive but our manufacturers are into nascar too much and won't over extend themselves by going F1 also... sad indeed.
rushfan2112 likes this.
post #21 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 03:11 PM

^ ^ ^
Well put, I agree
comfynumb likes this.

post #22 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Doesn't Ford still own Jaquar?
post #23 of 104 Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 PM

Ford did return to F1 briefly for 3 years ( 1997 to 1999 ) as the works supported team of Stewart Racing that was formed by Sir Jackie and his son Paul.
in 1999 at the end of the season Ford purchased the Stewart team and renamed the it Jaguar Racing.
They in turn sold the team to Red Bull Racing in 2005

Ford no longer owns Jaguar

post #24 of 104 Old 01-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
I liked Rush and the cinematography to capture the feel of open wheel racing was outstanding.

My only problem was that there was too much focus on Niki Lauda and not enough on James Hunt. Rush was supposed to be about their rivalry and it played more as a biography/homage to Lauda and didn't pay enough attention to Hunt.
post #25 of 104 Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

I liked Rush and the cinematography to capture the feel of open wheel racing was outstanding.

My only problem was that there was too much focus on Niki Lauda and not enough on James Hunt. Rush was supposed to be about their rivalry and it played more as a biography/homage to Lauda and didn't pay enough attention to Hunt.

I agree

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #26 of 104 Old 01-13-2014, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I'm really looking forward to seeing this. In fact I am so excited to see it that I might just go buy it without a rent. For those of you who really enjoy a good documentary but also really like racing and this movie I HIGHLY encourage you to watch "Senna" which is about the career of Ayrton Senna. Very good documentary that even moved me to tears.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #27 of 104 Old 01-13-2014, 05:06 PM

Liked: 10
Way too much shaky camera use to convey a sense of speed while the cars are obviously going at pace lap speed . Kudos to Ron Howard for getting all those glorious priceless machines out of their slumber for the movie though .

Perhaps I had overly high expectations but I left the theatre feeling solidly meh .

And when there was no crawdad we ate sand .
You ate sand ?!
We ate sand .
post #28 of 104 Old 01-15-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 426
I think I'll buy this. Not something I do often. But the fact it sound like wives are enjoying it, means I'll actually get to watch it instead of having to wait until she's busy with something else.
post #29 of 104 Old 01-15-2014, 07:59 PM

im a Lewis fan myself.....hoping that 2015 is the year we get a race in the New York area! went to Austin last year, had a blast!
post #30 of 104 Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown7 View Post

im a Lewis fan myself.....hoping that 2015 is the year we get a race in the New York area! went to Austin last year, had a blast!

I like Louie too though I'm tifosi through and through wink.gif Just hope it won't be yet another Red Bull year. And I'm quite looking forward to the dynamics that will no doubt play out over at Ferrari with the addition of Kimi

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Rush Blu Ray Dvd Digital Hd With Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page