Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 134 minutes
Genre: Drama/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Tom Hanks, Barkhad Abdi, Barkhad Abdirahman, Faysal Ahmed, Mahat M. Ali, Catherine Keener, Michael Chernus, Yul Vazquez
Directed by: Paul Greengrass
Music by: Henry Jackman
Written by: Billy Ray
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 21, 2013

"Out here survival is everything"

Film Synopsis:

Captain Phillips is a multi-layered examination of the 2009 hijacking of the U.S. container ship Maersk Alabama by a crew of Somali pirates. Based on a true story, the film focuses on the Alabama’s commanding officer, Captain Richard Phillips (two-time Academy Award®-winner Tom Hanks, Best Actor, 1993, Philadelphia; Best Actor, 1994, Forrest Gump), and the Somali pirate captain, Muse (Barkhad Abdi), who takes him hostage. The two men are set on an unstoppable collision course when Muse and his crew target Phillips’ unarmed ship; in the ensuing standoff, both men will find themselves at the mercy of forces beyond their control.

My Take:

As much as I wanted to get out to see Captain Phillips when it was in theaters I just never got around to it, despite hearing good things from those that did. The film is based on the true story of a Merchant Marine Captain being taken hostage by Somali pirates while delivering cargo/relief supplies to Mombasa Kenya. The incident occurred on April 7, 2009 as the Maersk Alabama with cargo, a crew of 20 and their Captain Richard Phillips were traveling approximately 240 nautical miles southeast of the Somali coast. The film briefly describes the events just prior to the pirates boarding the Maersk Alabama then settles into the painstaking details surrounding the abduction and rescue of Captain Phillips by the U.S. Navy on April 12, 2009.

Let me start by saying that I am a big Tom Hanks fan and for me his presence tends to automatically lend an air of credibility to a film. Captain Phillips is a powerful and engaging drama that is heightened by its basis on actual events and the strong performances of Hanks, Barkhad Abdi as the leader of Somali pirates and Faysal Ahmed, who portrayed Najee, his second in command. I vaguely recall when this happened back in 2009 but didn’t really follow the story. What I found most evocative was Captain Phillips bravery, devotion to his crew and the phenomenal response by the U.S. Navy in order to save him. Director Paul Greengrass and cinematographer Barry Ackroyd provide a fly on the wall perspective of how intense the entire affair must have been for Captain Phillips. The script paints a vivid portrait of the players on both sides and allows us along for the ride which I can assure you is a suspenseful and emotional one.

I watched it with my family and by the end we had experienced a range of emotions including outrage/anger, empathy and a deep sense of pride in being Americans. Good films tend to bring us to the brink of stepping into the story and Captain Phillips, underscored by the brilliant performance by Tom Hanks, takes us about as close to being there as it gets. We absolutely loved it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sustained intense sequences of menace, some violence with bloody images and for strong thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Captain Phillips comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.3 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition rendering from Sony (via their Mastered in 4K header) that sports plenty of fine detail with sharp edges and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective during wide angle camera pans. Colors range from warm, vivid and inviting to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide angle shots of the daytime ocean vistas look stunning. The use of filtering occasionally softened the image but I found the quality of the video to be high. It isn’t always razor sharp but is cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that increased the perception of fine detail. Framed at 2.40:1 images onscreen have excellent depth and stimulating visual aura. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. It looks great on Blu-ray.

** CIH users should note that subtitles appear within the picture area.**

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is noteworthy. Discrete rear channel activity isn’t extensive however when applied provides an enriching level of immersion which is punctuated by palpably rich bass. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction. This surround mix capably handles the subtle intricacies thrown at by this excellent soundtrack as it augments the enjoyment of this film.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by director Paul Greengrass

• (HD) Capturing Captain Phillips (3 segments totaling 57 minutes):
    1. Embarkation
    2. Full ahead
    3. Stand fast
  • Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the true story of a Merchant Marine Captain being taken hostage by Somali pirates while delivering cargo/relief supplies to Mombasa Kenya, Captain Phillips is a gripping and evocative drama the draws you in and doesn’t let go until the credits roll. Much of this is owed to the superb turns by the cast most notably star Tom Hanks who gives yet another compelling performance. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition audio/video and an interesting supplemental package that offers lots of insights from the cast/crew and real people involved in the story. Captain Phillips comes highly recommended and deserves a spot on your list of must see films coming to Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Summa and fredxr2d2 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Ralph. Great review as always. Have been looking forward to this coming out on blu-ray. Heard lots of positive feedback from those that saw this in the theaters as well.

Thanks,

Rob
post #3 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 74
This was one of the few films I actually went to the theater to see last year and I'm glad I did. Even my wife, who normally hates anything but horror and or comedy films loved this movie. She is a big Tom Hanks fan though so there is that. I really enjoyed the pacing of the film and everyone from Hanks to the pirates was just perfection in keeping you on the edge of your seat. It's always funny how watching a film about a true event can still be intense when you already know the outcome. I will be picking this up on Bluray for sure.
post #4 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Great review--this looks like an excellent movie in all respects--have this one pre-ordered and looking forward to watching and hearing it. smile.gif

Bob

post #5 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I've heard great things from all sources about this movie, like you Ralph I didn't make it out to see while it was in theaters despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews so I considered this a must-buy when it hit blu-ray and thus pre-ordered it last week. I also love just about anything Tom Hanks has ever been in (who doesn't?!?).

It looks like it's a very solid, though maybe not reference eye-candy A/V presentation (which given the subject matter I would have assumed), but the story is the shining star in this one. In any event from your review the A/V certainly added to and did not retract from the story, which is enough for me with these kinds of true story dramas Really looking forward to it!

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #6 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Didn't know this was a MI4K title? Don't see any sort of advertising on the cover art??

I thought they wanted to go above 30mbps for bitrate for MI4Ks? 24 seems a bit low?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I have a few bucks left on my Best Buy gift card that I got for Xmas. This may just be a "Blind Buy" because I feel the exact same way you do Ralph about Tom Hanks. He is simply one of the best actors what we have today.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #8 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thanks Mr. Potts very good review......definitely one for the collection!!!!!
post #9 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Ralph thank you for yet another great review. This is the movie I've been waiting for and will be a day one purchase!
post #10 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks Ralph for the review.

I am afraid that I must diverge from the rest of the pack on this film.

Saw this with the wife at our local Alamo Drafthouse, and while certainly take no issues with the technical merits of the film, found it to be lacking.
Hanks was superb as always, but after a while I was checking my watch. I also didn't find the antagonist very menacing or with much in the way of acting chops.

The opening 10 minutes was eye grabbing, but the second half was repetitive to me. The ending was moving however.

I'll put on my flame suit, but imo the film could have been edited by 30 minutes or more.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #11 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies758 View Post

Thanks Ralph for the review.

I am afraid that I must diverge from the rest of the pack on this film.

Saw this with the wife at our local Alamo Drafthouse, and while certainly take no issues with the technical merits of the film, found it to be lacking.
Hanks was superb as always, but after a while I was checking my watch. I also didn't find the antagonist very menacing or with much in the way of acting chops.

The opening 10 minutes was eye grabbing, but the second half was repetitive to me. The ending was moving however.

I'll put on my flame suit, but imo the film could have been edited by 30 minutes or more.

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts blueskies758. All opinions are welcome... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #12 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 PM

Glad to contribute !

And Ralph - I envy your gear man. tongue.gif
post #13 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Thanks for the review Ralph! Looking forward to this!

Max
post #14 of 51 Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 PM

Liked: 31
Street date pick up for me...Thanks King P.
post #15 of 51 Old 01-16-2014, 01:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Got the Blu-Ray (stores is low places) and loved it! Technically it's spot on, as Ralph says. Extras are fascinating as well. Barkhad Abdi is an American, brought to the U.S. by his parents from Somali as a youth and is outstandingly cast and subtle and brilliant as Muse the pirate. Tom Hands is humanly terrific as always. His emotional final scenes were shot with a real U.S. navy nurse, not an actress. The film was shot on real ships and lifeboats. This added greatly to the "fly on the wall" effect that Ralph aptly describes. It's not too long, I was sorry to see it end. Great review of a wonderful movie!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 51 Old 01-16-2014, 04:21 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Thanks for review Ralph, looking forward in getting this soon

Frank
post #17 of 51 Old 01-17-2014, 08:10 AM

"Tom Hands is humanly terrific as always."

I must have been watching the wrong movie. Who is this Tom Hands - is he a breakout star ? Is this an "after hours" film wink.gif
post #18 of 51 Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I had been thinking about passing on this one but your review has peaked my interest, Ralph, so now I'll be checking it out for sure!

Thanks for the review! cool.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.

oz
post #19 of 51 Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

I had been thinking about passing on this one but your review has peaked my interest, Ralph, so now I'll be checking it out for sure!

Thanks for the review! cool.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear you're going to give it a shot oz. Be sure to post back once you have seen it... smile.gif

Regards,
Glashub likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 51 Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The movie is not without flaws imo. The opening scene is badly executed and seems to be the work of a 2nd AD. Almost every scene in the movie seems to be a self contained building block set on top of other building blocks, each designed for tension. There are dumb scenes like when they gather to discuss the coming pirate threat and characters say things like, "I didn't sign up for this." even though it was plain as day they were going through dangerous waters before they accepted the assignment. Why do the Somalians yells so much in the movie? And the Hill Street Blues jittery camera work is always a give away that a director is doing all he can to create tension. The tacked on scene at the end was irritating because Hanks was indicating and pushing his work -- those were the 1st beats where I didn't believe him. BTW, I was an actor for years. Finally, the Somalian playing Muse' is so full of soul, heart, pain, nuance, and charisma -- well, I'm sorry -- in my opinion, he dwarfed Hanks -- he stole every scene he was in -- and he wasn't even trying.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #21 of 51 Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions Glashub. Sorry this one didn't work for you..

Regards,
Glashub likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #22 of 51 Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Aww, you know Ralph, I've been following you for years and always appreciate your reviews. I often use them as a gauge. I'm not saying this is a bad movie. It is gripping and Hanks is wonderful. There were just a few things that didn't jibe for me. The blessing and the bane of being involved with film and theater is that I really notice some things. Did you review Rush yet? Now that's a movie where I find it hard to find fault. In closing, I just can't say about the Somolian taxi cab driver. it really is proof of less is more. As the great Louise Brooks said, "The great art of films does not consist of descriptive movement of face and body but in the movements of thought and soul transmitted in a kind of intense isolation."

The Somalian did this.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #23 of 51 Old 01-17-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Aww, you know Ralph, I've been following you for years and always appreciate your reviews. I often use them as a gauge. I'm not saying this is a bad movie. It is gripping and Hanks is wonderful. There were just a few things that didn't jibe for me. The blessing and the bane of being involved with film and theater is that I really notice some things. Did you review Rush yet? Now that's a movie where I find it hard to find fault. In closing, I just can't say about the Somolian taxi cab driver. it really is proof of less is more. As the great Louise Brooks said, "The great art of films does not consist of descriptive movement of face and body but in the movements of thought and soul transmitted in a kind of intense isolation."

The Somalian did this.

Greetings,

I can appreciate that Glashub and thanks again. Regarding RUSH, I surely did review it... Rush Official Blu-ray Review smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 51 Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 AM

I watched it last night, anticipating it to be over the top,I think the chase was better than the catch,While Tom Hanks is fantastic,the movie is long,Too Long, I wasn't expecting great sound effects so I wasn't disappointed when there wasn't any, I would say itS  a alright movie but its not something I would want to own.  (1-10) A solid 8

post #25 of 51 Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 AM

I have watched this movie twice now and I absolutely loved it! The only two things I would nick the movie on are, I felt like it was overall a little long but it wasn't bad. The other thing is when the pirate would "floor" the lifeboat, his eyes got really big and just kind of had this face like he was flying or something. I felt like that was exaggerated personally. Otherwise I loved it! Will be adding it to the collection for sure!
post #26 of 51 Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Didn't know this was a MI4K title? Don't see any sort of advertising on the cover art??

I thought they wanted to go above 30mbps for bitrate for MI4Ks? 24 seems a bit low?

I think this indication on the cover was meant to show the Blu-ray was from a 4k source, but their Mastered In 4k series is different and has higher bitrates on average and a slightly wider color gamut encoding for compatible players and TVs (though some say it's hard to tell) with no extras . They do this on purpose so you have to buy twice because the regular version could have a high bitrate encode and still have space for a few extras. It's always a game with Sony (and some other studios).

Will definitely rent this one.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #27 of 51 Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Ralph thanks for the great review. Looking forward to having friends over the dinner and a movie this weekend. For those looking for another great movie on this topic, check out danish movie, "A Hijacking". http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_hijacking/ Also, a very good blu ray presentation (probably not up to the Capt Phillips standard).
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #28 of 51 Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
We Redboxed the movie; wife cried like a baby. It was an AWESOME movie; now I just have to wait for the price to come down a bit so I can buy it. I may have an early top contender for 2014...at least until Gravity is released.
post #29 of 51 Old 01-22-2014, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I really enjoyed this movie, as did Mrs Dome Deal. This is the most suspenseful movie I've seen in a very long time, and it felt very realistic and accurate (At least to a person with no real knowledge of the actual events).

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Does anyone else feel that the sentence of 33 years was a bit light, considering the severity of the crime? rolleyes.gif

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #30 of 51 Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great film, imho. My wife and agreed that this was Hank's best role since Castaway (liked role). I would also add that Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the last scene when he has his breakdown
is quite possibly the most emotionally gripping scene Tom has ever pulled off...or it may have just been too long since he has had one . I can see how a small minority of viewers take issue with some of the 'repetitive'scenes in the film but I do not think it hurts the film in the least. The bts featurette was very solid as well-not enough for a behind the scenes dork like me to spend an evening swimming through but it covered everything quite well.
Ralph Potts and Gov like this.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Captain Phillips Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page