Studio and Year: Paramount - 2013
MPAA Rating: R/Unrated
Feature running time: 91/102 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Johnny Knoxville
Directed by: Jeff Tremaine
Written by: Johnny Knoxville, Spike Jonze, Jeff Tremaine
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 28, 2014

"Outrageous"

Film Synopsis:

Eighty-six-year-old Irving Zisman is on a journey across America with the most unlikely companion: his eight-year-old grandson Billy, in "Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa". Jackass characters Irving Zisman (Johnny Knoxville) and Billy (Jackson Nicoll) will take movie audiences along for the most insane hidden camera road trip ever captured on camera. Along the way Irving will introduce the young and impressionable Billy to people, places, and situations that give new meaning to the term "childrearing". The duo will encounter male strippers, disgruntled child beauty pageant contestants (and their equally disgruntled mothers), funeral home mourners, biker bar patrons, and a whole lot of unsuspecting citizens. Real people in unreal situations, making for one really messed up comedy.

My Take:

Johnny Knoxville reprises his Jackass role as 86-year-old Irving Zisman in the story of a crotchety old man unexpectedly saddled with the care of his 8-year-old grandson Billy (Jackson Nicoll). The two generations of troublemakers soon develop a bond, as they hustle their way across the heartland of America on an outrageous road trip with a whole lot of high jinks and pranks on unsuspecting, real-life people—all of whom had no idea they were starring in a hidden camera comedy.

Fans of the Jackass film series should be well acquainted with star Johnny Knoxville and his alter ego “Irving Zisman”. As those who know will attest I am a bit of a prankster and what drives my enjoyment of it most is seeing the reactions of my prey. When I saw the trailer for Jack Ass presents: Bad Grandpa I chuckled at the concept as it draws upon unsuspecting everyday folks that get caught up in old man Irving’s web of shock value and debauchery. Paramount has included both the theatrical and unrated versions of the film. I watched the former which runs approximately 11 minutes shorter than the unrated cut.

Let’s be up front, this is the kind of stuff that you either find funny or insipidly repulsive. As a film enthusiast I can’t help but feel that I have a responsibility to discount this type of movie making for the asinine banality that it is. The problem is that doing so would make me a hypocrite because I found parts of this movie to be hysterically funny. Unlike the Jackass film’s there is little use of vomit inducing scenarios, gratuitous male form nudity and masochistic torture. Here we see Irving and his eight year old “grandson” on a road trip that takes them to a variety of locations all with the sole intention of setting up and pranking folks who don’t quite know how to react especially given that the offenders are an elderly man and a little boy.

I have to admit that there were parts of this movie that had me in stitches. This really had little to do with the ridiculous behavior exhibited by Knoxville disguised as Irving but had everything to do with the differing reactions of targets and bystanders. Here are a few of the gags that I thought worked pretty well; The Beauty pageant, The Diner, The convenience store, The vending machine, and The penguin. Here is what I will offer for those who have gotten this far into my review and haven’t turned back, Jackass presents: Bad Grandpa isn’t for everyone. If you’re put off by outrageous, irresponsible, and nonsensical tomfoolery, this is a waste of your time. If you get a kick out of pranking acts and can tolerate over the top, crass, and crude behavior/humor then you might just find it to be a guilty pleasure that makes for spirited entertainment when friends are over for a few beers.

Parental Guide:

The film contains strong crude and sexual content throughout, language, some graphic nudity and brief drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Jackass presents: Bad Grandpa comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.8 Mbps.

Captured in a sort of documentary style this film was shot using high definition hand held and concealed CCD type video cameras with the perspective often switching back and forth. The shots captured with the better high definition cameras were lucid, with crisp definition, rich natural color, stable contrast and punchy blacks. The lower resolution camera footage was noticeably softer and occasionally exhibited minor artifacts but was certainly clear enough to get the job done. I had no real complaints with the video quality and on a whole thought that this presentation looked quite good.

The high resolution DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack had excellent dynamic range and clarity. Dialogue was articulately reproduced through the center channel and maintained a position of prominence within the front soundstage. This wasn’t an active surround mix but when applied the surround channels generated an immersive atmosphere that enriched the film’s intentionally fetid elements. Front and rear channel imaging was appreciable as off camera sounds and spatial cues mated perfectly with the events transpiring onscreen. There was little call for the use of deep bass response however where appropriate the low frequency effects supported the track’s recorded elements.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Behind-the-Scenes (8 segments):
    1. The Funeral
    2. Estate Sale
    3. Window Launch
    4. Shipping Billy
    5. The Penguin
    6. Wedding Crashers
    7. The Drop Off
    8. Beauty Pageant
  • (HD) Alternate Reactions from Real People (6 segments):
    1. Meet Billy
    2. Meet Irving
    3. The Skype Call
    4. Billy Shops for Parents
    5. Irving Hits on Women 1
    6. Irving Hits on Women 2
  • (HD) 3 Deleted Scenes

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Here are a few adjectives to describe Jackass presents: Bad Grandpa: Outrageous, moronic, ridiculous, and banal. Here are a few more: breezy, funny and entertaining. Definitely not for everyone but if you get it there are some truly priceless moments amidst the dreck. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring solid high definition audio/video quality along with a rudimentary but workable offering of bonus supplements that present fans with two viewing options, behind the scenes perspectives and a few scenes that didn’t make it to the final cuts. If you enjoy this style of humor Jackass presents: Bad Grandpa on Blu-ray is worth picking up. If you’re not sure toss it in your rental queue and take it for a spin when you’re up for a little inappropriateness.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sounds good to me!
post #3 of 13 Old 01-23-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I never much paid attention to Jackass when it was on MTV. Then back about 14 years ago or so, I decided to watch the first Jackass film. I laughed so hard and immediately I was hooked. The 2nd Jackass film somehow improved on the first, and then when I saw the most recent one in 3D at the theater a year or two ago, it was the first time I came that close to actually throwing up at a movie (in a good way). I've grown to have a lot of respect for that these guys do to entertain us, and I'll never forget seeing footage of Knoxville crying like a baby when he was talking about the filming of the last movie coming to an end. The guy is passionate and loves what he does.

Needless to say, this movie had me in stitches. Loved nearly every minute and it's amazing therapy if you just need to forget about the stress of your week and take part in some belly laughs. I loved this one and I hope there is a sequel...and another one after that...
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-24-2014, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I never much paid attention to Jackass when it was on MTV. Then back about 14 years ago or so, I decided to watch the first Jackass film. I laughed so hard and immediately I was hooked. The 2nd Jackass film somehow improved on the first, and then when I saw the most recent one in 3D at the theater a year or two ago, it was the first time I came that close to actually throwing up at a movie (in a good way). I've grown to have a lot of respect for that these guys do to entertain us, and I'll never forget seeing footage of Knoxville crying like a baby when he was talking about the filming of the last movie coming to an end. The guy is passionate and loves what he does.

Needless to say, this movie had me in stitches. Loved nearly every minute and it's amazing therapy if you just need to forget about the stress of your week and take part in some belly laughs. I loved this one and I hope there is a sequel...and another one after that...

Greetings,

Great story AJ. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed this one also... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #5 of 13 Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Great story AJ. Thanks for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed this one also... smile.gif

Regards,

Just goes to show why I rely on your reviews so much, Ralph (one of many reasons, that is lol)...you are able to enjoy different genres of film for what they are. Knoxville isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I think he appeals to guys far more than he does to the fairer gender, but I know you can appreciate this sort of humor just as I can...you're like my movie brother from another mother, my friend smile.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #6 of 13 Old 01-25-2014, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Just goes to show why I rely on your reviews so much, Ralph (one of many reasons, that is lol)...you are able to enjoy different genres of film for what they are. Knoxville isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I think he appeals to guys far more than he does to the fairer gender, but I know you can appreciate this sort of humor just as I can...you're like my movie brother from another mother, my friend smile.gif

Greetings,

Thanks buddy... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 13 Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Great review Ralph! I watched this last night and man, I was actually laughing out loud at various moments in this film! For some reason, the whole Penguin skit just had me in stitches as far as the reaction he got from the young guy who was just insanely angry and you could see this poor fellow wrestling internally with wanting to beat the crap out of this old man, but knowing it was wrong! tongue.gif Jackass to me has always been a bit hit and miss as far as the stunts with some working better than others and Bad Grampa is no different, but the funny moments for me really hit the spot! tongue.gif Really enjoyed it overall and seeing the reactions they got from various people was fantastic. biggrin.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8 of 13 Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Great review Ralph! I watched this last night and man, I was actually laughing out loud at various moments in this film! For some reason, the whole Penguin skit just had me in stitches as far as the reaction he got from the young guy who was just insanely angry and you could see this poor fellow wrestling internally with wanting to beat the crap out of this old man, but knowing it was wrong! tongue.gif Jackass to me has always been a bit hit and miss as far as the stunts with some working better than others and Bad Grampa is no different, but the funny moments for me really hit the spot! tongue.gif Really enjoyed it overall and seeing the reactions they got from various people was fantastic. biggrin.gif

Greetings,

Great stuff Todd. I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed this one too. biggrin.gif

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #9 of 13 Old 01-31-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

I have to admit that there were parts of this movie that had me in stitches. This really had little to do with the ridiculous behavior exhibited by Knoxville disguised as Irving but had everything to do with the differing reactions of targets and bystanders. Here are a few of the gags that I thought worked pretty well; The Beauty pageant, The Diner, The convenience store, The vending machine, and The penguin. Here is what I will offer for those who have gotten this far into my review and haven’t turned back, Jackass presents: Bad Grandpa isn’t for everyone. If you’re put off by outrageous, irresponsible, and nonsensical tomfoolery, this is a waste of your time. If you get a kick out of pranking acts and can tolerate over the top, crass, and crude behavior/humor then you might just find it to be a guilty pleasure that makes for spirited entertainment when friends are over for a few beers.

The male strippers in the dance-bar is the part that had the wife and I doubled-over with laughter. We watched this on VUDU since I felt this would be a 'watch it once' affair.

Your review pretty much sums up my feelings on this title.
Toe likes this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #10 of 13 Old 01-31-2014, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Same thoughts on the movie itself. I was 10 when Jackass first came on so I pretty much grew up with it. I went into the movie with low expectations not knowing how 90 minutes of Irving would translate. I came away feeling like I had done an ab workout for 90 minutes! As far as I could tell none of the crowd reactions seemed staged. I liked that they had the fake storyline mixed in with the stunts instead of just random stunts.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-31-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post

Same thoughts on the movie itself. I was 10 when Jackass first came on so I pretty much grew up with it. I went into the movie with low expectations not knowing how 90 minutes of Irving would translate. I came away feeling like I had done an ab workout for 90 minutes! As far as I could tell none of the crowd reactions seemed staged. I liked that they had the fake storyline mixed in with the stunts instead of just random stunts.

LOL, I can relate to the ab workout comment...you know how sometimes you laugh so hard that it's almost like a brief sense of euphoria? It doesn't happen often, but you know it when you hit that point...that happened to me twice during this movie

post #12 of 13 Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks for the review, as always. However, you did leave out a major nod to the movie - it's an Oscar nominee (best makeup)... Knoxville was on Fallon and they had quite the kick out of saying "Oscar nominated, Bad Grandpa".

I was a fan back in they day when the first Jackass came out but didn't go out of my way to see the others in the theater. I'll probably throw this in the ol' Netflix queue and give it a go one day - probably invite some of my old college buddies who I saw the original Jackass with, this time with less drunken debauchery that accompanied the first go around. cool.gif

post #13 of 13 Old 02-02-2014, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

Thanks for the review, as always. However, you did leave out a major nod to the movie - it's an Oscar nominee (best makeup)... Knoxville was on Fallon and they had quite the kick out of saying "Oscar nominated, Bad Grandpa".

I was a fan back in they day when the first Jackass came out but didn't go out of my way to see the others in the theater. I'll probably throw this in the ol' Netflix queue and give it a go one day - probably invite some of my old college buddies who I saw the original Jackass with, this time with less drunken debauchery that accompanied the first go around. cool.gif

Greetings,

Actually I didn't know that but thanks for pointing it out.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Jackass Presents Bad Grandpa Unrated Blu Ray Dvd Digital Hd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page