Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Starring: Reem Abdullah, ABDULLRAHMAN AL GOHANI, AHD, Waad Mohammed
written & Directed by: Haifaa Al Mansour
Music by: Max Richter
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 11, 2014

"Hopes and dreams and universal themes…"

Film Synopsis:

Wadjda is a fun-loving 10-year-old girl living in Saudi Arabia, has her heart set on a beautiful new bicycle. However, her mother won’t allow it, fearing repercussions from a society that sees bicycles as dangerous to a girl’s virtue. Determined to turn her dreams into reality and buy the bike on her own, Wadjda uncovers the contradictions and opportunities in her world.

My Take:

WADJDA is a 10-year-old girl living in a suburb of Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia. Although she lives in a conservative world, Wadjda is fun loving, entrepreneurial and always pushing the boundaries of what she can get away with. After a fight with her friend Abdullah, a neighborhood boy she shouldn't be playing with, Wadjda sees a beautiful green bicycle for sale. She wants the bicycle desperately so that she can beat Abdullah in a race. But Wadjda's mother won't allow it, fearing repercussions from a society that sees bicycles as dangerous to a girl's virtue. So Wadjda decides to try and raise the money herself.

At first, Wadjda's mother is too preoccupied with convincing her husband not to take a second wife to realize what's going on. And soon enough Wadjda's plans are thwarted when she is caught running various schemes at school. Just as she is losing hope of raising enough money, she hears of a cash prize for a Koran recitation competition at her school. She devotes herself to the memorization and recitation of Koranic verses, and her teachers begin to see Wadjda as a model pious girl. The competition isn‘t going to be easy especially for a troublemaker like Wadjda, but she refuses to give in. She is determined to continue fighting for her dreams...

After seeing the trailer for Wadjda on another Sony Blu-ray title that I had in for review I was hooked and had to see it. Wadjda is the first feature film shot entirely in Saudi Arabia, and was written and directed by Haifaa Al Mansour, Saudi Arabia’s first female filmmaker. It was all that I expected and tells a charming and poignant coming of age story about a little girl who refuses to be constrained by the boundaries of her culture. The film offers a unique insight and speaks of universal themes of hope and perseverance. What would seemingly be a simple story about a child wanting a bicycle evolves into a complex story that speaks to the human condition via a rewardingly drawn landscape that beats to a culturally different but universal drum.

I watched it with my wife and we found it to be charmingly amusing (where appropriate), heartbreaking and inspiring all at once. Shot on location and featuring an all Saudi cast there is a genuine quality that pervades right from the opening moments. Newcomer Waad Mohammed is marvelous in the title role and owns every scene she is in. Wadjda is a wonderful film that is 90 plus minutes well spent.

Wadjda took the prize for Best International Feature at the 2013 Los Angeles Film Festival, as well as three awards at the 2012 Venice Film Festival, including the Cinema for Peace prize. The National Board of Review honored Wadjda with its “Freedom of Expression” award. It was also an official selection at the Telluride, Tribeca and Toronto Film Festivals. Wadjda is also Saudi Arabia’s submission in the Foreign Language Category for the 2014 Academy Awards®, marking the first time that the country will be competing for the prestigious nomination.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements, brief mild language and smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Wadjda comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 Mbps.

This high definition presentation is on par with other new release films of its type and generally looked great. Colors are natural looking with a pleasing and reserved quality that remained within the scope required by the settings and clothing featured in the film. Flesh tones vary somewhat but most offers little complexional differences which appears to coincide with the film’s geographical setting. Contrast is stable with solid blacks and estimable shadow detail. Images are detailed and crisp, with definable lines and appreciable dimension. While I noticed sporadic occasions where resolution fluctuated slightly this appeared innate to the photography and never called fidelity into question. The video is rendered well and doesn’t show any overt signs of compression related anomalies or video artifacts.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack delivers dialogue that is crisp, tonally descriptive and well articulated. The front three channels handily convey the soundtrack’s elements via an open soundstage that features excellent clarity and imaging. The surround channels and subwoofer see little use but provide appropriate atmosphere in support of the film’s recording.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with writer/director Haifaa Mansour

• (HD) The making of Wadjda – 33 minute featurette

• (HD) Director’s Guild of America Q&A with Haifaa Mansour – 38 minutes

• Bonus DVD

Final Thoughts:

Wadjda comes from the mind of writer/director Haifaa Mansour and is a superbly crafted dramatic film that through the eyes of a child speaks to the human condition via a rewardingly drawn landscape that beats to a culturally different but universal drum. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound and insightful supplemental material. I thoroughly enjoyed Wadjda and give it my highest recommendation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
This got great reviews over on RT from pretty much everyone.

Thanks for the review Ralph. smile.gif

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #3 of 24 Old 02-01-2014, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Ralph - thanks for pointing this film out. I'll have to get a view of it. Looks rather interesting and given the reality of how life goes on in other parts of the world, this looks like something to open our eyes up a bit.
embeathome likes this.
post #4 of 24 Old 02-04-2014, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Again, thanks for the recommend! Rent for sure! cool.gif
post #5 of 24 Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Thanks for pointing this one out Ralph, adding it to my shortlist of movies to add to the collection.

Looky here!
post #6 of 24 Old 02-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Thanks Ralph! Another movie I would have missed if not for your great review. smile.gif Looking forward to this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #7 of 24 Old 02-25-2014, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Greetings,

You're all very welcome. Be sure to post back with your thoughts/impressions after you get the chance to see Wadjda. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 24 Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I watched and enjoyed this movie. The culture angered me at times but Wadjda's performance at the contest was simply beautiful, it was worth the price of the rental alone, but the whole movie stayed with me long after I returned the disc. Thanks for the heads up on this one Ralph.
post #9 of 24 Old 03-04-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I watched this finally after having looked forward to seeing it for so long.

I was very disappointed in it though as it really did not have much going on throughout the course of the entire film. Story and plot were pretty weak. Everything else from the directing to the acting and so on were good.

The only thing I really liked about it was all the effort it took into getting it made, and also seeing more about the people living in Saudi Arabia. frown.gif

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #10 of 24 Old 03-11-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Shockingly Terrible film. A Disney cartoon has more content that is more culturally relevant. In the Middle East I would imagine this is a kid flick.
post #11 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Shockingly Terrible film. A Disney cartoon has more content that is more culturally relevant. In the Middle East I would imagine this is a kid flick.

Greetings,

I am sorry you felt that way. I disagree of course and coincidently just watched the film again last night. This time we watched it with my daughter and son who are both home from college. Their reactions were exactly the same, they "loved" Wadjda...smile.gif

Thanks for offering your thoughts.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #12 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll expand a bit. I'm still grateful to have had the potential to see somthing I likely would have missed, but still shocked by the overly simplified story.

The film tiptoed over literally everything and had extremely 2 dimensional characters (about as bad as I've seen in a long time on that front). If you've never seen the locations presented or even had a basic understanding of the superficial issues women in SA face then I'd imagine it'd have some, albeit not much, value on that front; the store fronts, streets, and buildings were all very typical of the area. Anyone familiar with the region/subject matter I would say 'pass' as this would likely insult your intelligence with its rosy characterization of such important issues facing women in that part of the world. IMO this could have been so much more impactful had it decided to actually reach out with enough emotion to solicit tears as the subject matter really should...
post #13 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

I'll expand a bit. I'm still grateful to have had the potential to see somthing I likely would have missed, but still shocked by the overly simplified story.

The film tiptoed over literally everything and had extremely 2 dimensional characters (about as bad as I've seen in a long time on that front). If you've never seen the locations presented or even had a basic understanding of the superficial issues women in SA face then I'd imagine it'd have some, albeit not much, value on that front; the store fronts, streets, and buildings were all very typical of the area. Anyone familiar with the region/subject matter I would say 'pass' as this would likely insult your intelligence with its rosy characterization of such important issues facing women in that part of the world. IMO this could have been so much more impactful had it decided to actually reach out with enough emotion to solicit tears as the subject matter really should...

Greetings,

I think you're making an assumption regarding the filmmaker's intent. I don't agree regarding the development of the characters with respect to the story's primary focus. I found the character of Wadjda to be well drawn. The interpersonal relationships that revolved around her, ie; her friendship with Abdullah, her mother and the school's principal were nicely balanced with the narrative's framework.

I suppose we could go on about it but the truth is that our interpretations are different, which is fine. At the end of the day opinions vary and trying to convince others to see them your way based upon an objective viewpoint is futile.

Thanks for following up.

Regards,
Taranteacher likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm familiar with the story's focus. Your implication that there is an attempt to 'convince' rather than just state my dissenting opinion and perspective, is incorrect, unless I misunderstood and you were rhetorically musing to remind yourself of what an opinion is?

Your welcome for the thoughts - thanks for yours,
post #15 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

I'm familiar with the story's focus. Your implication that there is an attempt to 'convince' rather than just state my dissenting opinion and perspective, is incorrect, unless I misunderstood and you were rhetorically musing to remind yourself of what an opinion is?

Your welcome for the thoughts - thanks for yours,

Greetings,

Yes, you misunderstood as my point was general in nature and not directed at you specifically. "Rhetorically musing to remind myself what an opinion is", really? rolleyes.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I honestly was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Now that I know I was just getting a lecture on what an opinion is after simply stating mine it all makes more sense.
post #17 of 24 Old 03-12-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

I honestly was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Now that I know I was just getting a lecture on what an opinion is after simply stating mine it all makes more sense.

Greetings,

Great, glad we are on the same page. Time to move on...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 24 Old 04-22-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I agree with your review of Wadjda Ralph. My family all LOVED the film. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #19 of 24 Old 04-23-2014, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I agree with your review of Wadjda Ralph. My family all LOVED the film. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Tom

Greetings,

Great to hear Tom! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 24 Old 04-27-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering movie theaters have been banned in Saudi Arabia since the early 1980's, I think that producing a movie that was written and directed by a woman and that stars a girl entirely in Riyadh was a small miracle and a good sign that change is slowly happening there. There's a good interview with the director here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=224437165

Besides, this isn't "The Stoning of Soraya M.", it's a coming of age story about a 12 year old girl.
Ralph Potts and mo949 like this.

Looky here!
post #21 of 24 Old 04-27-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

One of the reason I enjoy film so much is that they can bring me insight into a culture that I'll most likely never experience first hand. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The director and cast did a fine job of expressing the dynamic between the traditional laws and customs, and the desire for change without being heavy handed or preachy. We found it funny, heartbreaking, and angering, at the end feeling like we had spent "A Week in the Life of Wadjda".

Looky here!
post #22 of 24 Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Quote:

Considering movie theaters have been banned in Saudi Arabia since the early 1980's, I think that producing a movie that was written and directed by a woman and that stars a girl entirely in Riyadh was a small miracle and a good sign that change is slowly happening there. There's a good interview with the director here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=224437165

Besides, this isn't "The Stoning of Soraya M.", it's a coming of age story about a 12 year old girl.

I certainly wasn't suggesting it become anything more than the coming of age of a 12 year old girl.

I agree, the ability to actually get a film to conform enough to saudi censorship and get it filmed on location is a huge feat, by a woman no less. It represents a lot of 'Firsts' - I applaud all of those and suspect a lot of acclaim around the film is from those feats. That said, the on location part of the film didn't add anything that couldn't have been there from choosing some of the many other locales that would not have as many censorship rules. The neighborhoods, malls, and roads that they had in the film look identical to so many other locales in neighboring countries. If it were filmed elsewhere the film itself would likely have improved from not needing to deal with issues like only having limited takes for scenes, logistics of men mixing with women, and with much more lenient censorship boards. The on location part didn't really take advantage of any of the unique geographical aspects of Saudi Arabia and the scenes novel to someone new to the region would have been equally so in other locales mentioned above. Being in a political circle and having the wasata necessary to get the film done there may be viewed positively from over here, but for people over there that understand the compromises needed in both story and public persona/statements it will evoke different reactions. Regardless, as an arabic film from the perspective of one who is not going to think the culture, locations, or language are novel, the young girl's performance was really the only good part of the equation and kept you viewing till the end. I don't think it would stand up to many other films, even Arab films from throughout the region, unless you take the political aspects of the film's making into account.
post #23 of 24 Old 04-28-2014, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I certainly wasn't suggesting it become anything more than the coming of age of a 12 year old girl.

I agree, the ability to actually get a film to conform enough to saudi censorship and get it filmed on location is a huge feat, by a woman no less. It represents a lot of 'Firsts' - I applaud all of those and suspect a lot of acclaim around the film is from those feats. That said, the on location part of the film didn't add anything that couldn't have been there from choosing some of the many other locales that would not have as many censorship rules. The neighborhoods, malls, and roads that they had in the film look identical to so many other locales in neighboring countries. If it were filmed elsewhere the film itself would likely have improved from not needing to deal with issues like only having limited takes for scenes, logistics of men mixing with women, and with much more lenient censorship boards. The on location part didn't really take advantage of any of the unique geographical aspects of Saudi Arabia and the scenes novel to someone new to the region would have been equally so in other locales mentioned above. Being in a political circle and having the wasata necessary to get the film done there may be viewed positively from over here, but for people over there that understand the compromises needed in both story and public persona/statements it will evoke different reactions. Regardless, as an arabic film from the perspective of one who is not going to think the culture, locations, or language are novel, the young girl's performance was really the only good part of the equation and kept you viewing till the end. I don't think it would stand up to many other films, even Arab films from throughout the region, unless you take the political aspects of the film's making into account.

It is interesting though, how this film has sparked this discussion isn't it? tongue.gif

I enjoy foreign film, not for any sort of 'art house' factor, but for the reasons I gave above. As far as Arabic cinema, we haven't watched a lot of it in our house, quite frankly I wouldn't even know where to start. Movies like this make for an easy transition into a new culture. Because it was a very good movie, my interest is piqued so I'm going to seek out more Arabic Cinema.

Looky here!
post #24 of 24 Old 04-29-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

It is interesting though, how this film has sparked this discussion isn't it? tongue.gif

This one sums it up well to me wink.gif Enjoy your 4.5/5 star bluray there.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Wadjda Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page