Thor: The Dark World (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 02-26-2014, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Ralph,

For me to see what you see I'm going to have to update my projector. Did you review this film with the projector listed in your sig?

If you have a new/different projector did you do a review on it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Picked this up yesterday (Region A release day) at Target and opted for the one-disc 2D version which just felt overtly cheap and stripped down to me; seems like Disney and their Buena Vista division are really cutting corners since acquiring the Marvel Studios rights...the version I picked up came with no slipcase and screamed "bargain bin" in terms of sheer physical presentation...

Anyway, I ran this disc through its paces, testing the English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track (though played back in 5.1) and found the audio to be VERY lackluster, with an overall low mastering level and requiring my master volume to be hiked way beyond what I normally watch at...did anyone else find this?

I found the first Thor's audio track to be similar, though not quite as "quiet" as this one, as well as releases like Captain America (perhaps it's just a DTS-HD MA 7.1 thing when I play back these tracks in 5.1?)...

post #33 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was getting ready to buy this, I'm glad I checked here I think I'll say a cpl bucks and get the 2d version since there's no consenses on how the 3d verision was. Considering you can get it for 22.99 on the first week its out may say something to the quality of it lol smile.gif
post #34 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 12:45 PM

Liked: 21
Honestly, it's only 2 bucks more for the digital combo pack then it is for the single disc. (this week only more then likely) I would just get the combo pack if digital is that iimportant to you!
post #35 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone find "issues" with the audio track on this?

post #36 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

I didn't notice any issues, but the audio wasn't as aggressive as I expected it to be, either.

Edit: I'll be watching it again over the weekend and will probably crank up the audio a bit more to get a better feel for it... smile.gif

oz
post #37 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

I didn't notice any issues, but the audio wasn't as aggressive as I expected it to be, either.

Edit: I'll be watching it again over the weekend and will probably crank up the audio a bit more to get a better feel for it... smile.gif

But that's the "issue" I was referring to, Ozar -- that it wasn't as "aggressive" as I expected it to be; also, the mastering level seemed to be WAY lower than "normal"...

Did you play the 7.1 mix back in 7.1 or in 5.1?

post #38 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Liked: 11
I did have to have my audio level a bit higher then normal but found the audio dynamics and deep bass to be great on this movie. Even my kids had big smiles on their faces when some of the bass was resonating through the house. Great audio reproduction. Can't wait to re-watch it when I add two side surrounds for the full 7.1 experience.
post #39 of 56 Old 02-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you play the 7.1 mix back in 7.1 or in 5.1?

I did the 7.1 mix but might play around with the 5.1 mix when I watch it again over the weekend.

oz
post #40 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 01:30 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:

My wife and I just watched it tonight and I agree it is a tad bit quieter than most movies. The dialogue I think was perfectly fine and the whole track was decently done but even my wife who is not particularly interested in my hobby commented that it seemed like the music and sound effects took back stage.

I found this to be similar with the first Thor and Captain America as well but I think Thor 2 sounded better. I listened to these both in 5.1 and 7.1 on two different systems, my old Onkyo HTIB and my new setup, the results were similar ( obviously the new system sounded better.) Don't forget to watch the TWO extra scenes in the credits smile.gif

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3
Xbox One
Samsung UN46D8000
post #41 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niroe64 View Post

Don't forget to watch the TWO extra scenes in the credits smile.gif

I saw one extra clip, but must have missed the second one. Will definitely look for it after the next viewing this weekend...

oz
post #42 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacklebary View Post

I did have to have my audio level a bit higher then normal but found the audio dynamics and deep bass to be great on this movie. Even my kids had big smiles on their faces when some of the bass was resonating through the house. Great audio reproduction. Can't wait to re-watch it when I add two side surrounds for the full 7.1 experience.

The LFE was pounding and hard -- no doubt. But to my ears, the whole track was on the quiet side and required pushing the volume higher than normal to get immersed in...

post #43 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

I did the 7.1 mix but might play around with the 5.1 mix when I watch it again over the weekend.

The Region A (North America) release had TWO English mixes, one in 7.1 and 5.1? Mine didn't...

post #44 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My wife and I just watched it tonight and I agree it is a tad bit quieter than most movies. The dialogue I think was perfectly fine and the whole track was decently done but even my wife who is not particularly interested in my hobby commented that it seemed like the music and sound effects took back stage.

I found this to be similar with the first Thor and Captain America as well but I think Thor 2 sounded better. I listened to these both in 5.1 and 7.1 on two different systems, my old Onkyo HTIB and my new setup, the results were similar ( obviously the new system sounded better.) Don't forget to watch the TWO extra scenes in the credits smile.gif

I totally agree with just about everything you said Niro -- as well as what your wife commented on. The music and effects were "hushed" in this mix, as if the bass was the only element mastered "correctly" or "hot"...

And I know EXACTLY what you mean with Captain America and the first Thor -- I complained about those titles as soon as they came out and I ran their Master Audio 7.1 tracks through their paces. Captain America in particular was quiet and completely un-involving, I thought, requiring me to jack my master volume WAY up beyond the normal range. I do not agree that the Thor sequel sounded better than the first; I just re-watched the first to compare it and while not a particularly "stellar" mix, it definitely sounds better to me than the second...

I have been making this observation about newer 7.1 MA tracks like on World War Z, Olympus Has Fallen, White House Down and now Thor: The Dark World in which they all sound REALLY, really "quiet" and "reserved" (played back in 5.1) until my system is pushed really, really hard which seems odd to me.

As for the credits sequences, I too didn't know there were TWO post credits clips -- the only one I saw was with Sith and the Aether being brought to the "collector"...

post #45 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 08:25 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:

As for the credits sequences, I too didn't know there were TWO post credits clips -- the only one I saw was with Sith and the Aether being brought to the "collector"...

Yeah completely after the credits there is another scene back in London

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3
Xbox One
Samsung UN46D8000
post #46 of 56 Old 03-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I'm re-watching it again to watch this scene. Missed it the first time. Lol makes sense to me to watch a 2 hour movie for a 30 second clip (if that).

Edit: after seeing it, I should of just skipped to the very end......

Living Room
*NHT ThreeC *NHT Classic Three's (4) *Denon 3313ci *Outlaw Audio LFM-1EX (2)

Game Room
*NHT Absolute Tower (2) *Denon E300
post #47 of 56 Old 03-02-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Hi Ralph smile.gif

Nice assessment of Thor 2, I picked up on the cinema sound they either intentional went for or not ! I found the presentation on the A/V here to have that, not to overly tweaked for the home edition, but felt it retained more of its theatrical release goodies still intact. The lack of any teal at all was nice and the warmer pallet refreshing . Audio received the same treatment with thunderous bass and the attention paid to the onscreen effects happening deep with in the various scenes , at first I to felt the impact from the center was a bit lacking but the more I watched the more I realized it was keeping pace with the larger than life battles going on and there where some effects that were flat out outstanding! As for the story line I liked it and felt they did a good job of evolving Thors character a bit more as well as the supporting cast.

Thanks

Jeff
Ralph Potts and Franin like this.
post #48 of 56 Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Hi Ralph smile.gif

Nice assessment of Thor 2, I picked up on the cinema sound they either intentional went for or not ! I found the presentation on the A/V here to have that, not to overly tweaked for the home edition, but felt it retained more of its theatrical release goodies still intact. The lack of any teal at all was nice and the warmer pallet refreshing . Audio received the same treatment with thunderous bass and the attention paid to the onscreen effects happening deep with in the various scenes , at first I to felt the impact from the center was a bit lacking but the more I watched the more I realized it was keeping pace with the larger than life battles going on and there where some effects that were flat out outstanding! As for the story line I liked it and felt they did a good job of evolving Thors character a bit more as well as the supporting cast.

Thanks

Jeff

Thanks for that Jeff,I'm looking forward for my copy to arrive next week

Frank

post #49 of 56 Old 03-02-2014, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Hi Ralph smile.gif

Thanks

Jeff

Greetings,

Thanks for offering your insights Jeff and of course I agree... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #50 of 56 Old 03-02-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You know something? I don't even remember now if we waited in the theater until after that first credits sequence...I don't think we did, so I didn't even know there was another scene...

Gonna have to rewatch it now...

post #51 of 56 Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Watched it tonight, fantastic!!
audiofan1 likes this.

Frank

post #52 of 56 Old 03-04-2014, 09:29 AM

Liked: 77
Glad to hear it from you, Frank! cool.gif
post #53 of 56 Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Watched last night and will agree with others, the sound seemed a bit soft. Not bad, just a bit more quiet then I expected.

AVR: Denon 2112
Speakers: EMP Tek e55ti, Center- EMP Tek e56ci, Side Surrounds- EMP Tek e55wi, Rear Surrounds- KLH 911b, Sub- SVS PC12 Plus
TV: Panasonic 50VT25
Blu-Ray Player:Samsung BD-EM59C;
Playstation 4, Apple TV, Harmony Remote
post #54 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post

Watched last night and will agree with others, the sound seemed a bit soft. Not bad, just a bit more quiet then I expected.
turn it up 😄 everyone see things differently, I agree with Frank, fantastic, I preferred this mix over MOS "loud / aggressive" mix, felt it was more balanced
post #55 of 56 Old 03-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post

I totally agree, Allen...

Did you watch it on your 50" Panny?

post #56 of 56 Old 04-06-2014, 12:55 AM

Liked: 12
Finally got around to watching this and as with others, I had to turn my volume up. I started watching at my usual -11 on the volume but noticed it was a lot quieter than usual. I instantly searched online to see if there was a dialnorm applied to this soundtrack but didn't see anything. I finally found some threads where people said they had to turn the volume up, so I turned it up to -7 and although it was better, it wasn't quite impressive yet. How much higher than usual did you guys go? I don't want to bottom out my SVS Ultra 13, which happens with movies like The Incredible Hulk. But at the same time I want to have an optimal audio experience. Anyway, I suppose I will re-watch certain scenes and turn it up even more, hopefully without damaging my sub. rolleyes.gif

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Thor The Dark World 1 Disc Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page