Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #91 of 208 Old 02-25-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Watched the movie for the first time today, picked up copy up from Walmart and the views are amazing! Looks great on my 110" screen can't wait to get my larger sub in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 208 Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Wow this movie was good! One thing that stood out was the sound design of this movie, very well done and of course the 3d was great! I wish I saw this at a IMAX theater but viewing on my setup was great! Very immersive and gripping movie!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #93 of 208 Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 72
My copy arrived this morning and I plan to watch it right away after getting home from work this evening... might even go home early just for this! smile.gif

Will report back with some thoughts on how it looked and sounded with my setup after watching.

oz
post #94 of 208 Old 02-25-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeelkh View Post

obviously,................. and let us know about the depth as well as oos effect when u watch the movie on bd.

Received it from Amazon Prime a day early, and have watched 45 mins. so far.

There must be an issue with your setup. I have a pitch black dedicated room with an 8' High Power screen. The depth of the 3D was outstanding. Maybe some people don't feel it is as deep as it appears, due to the blackness of space. Even with that said, much of the film is from the perspective of inside the helmet, and the water vapor on the visor is clearly much closer to the viewer, than objects in the distance. The sound is also fantastic. No complaints on any front that I can see/hear.

Art
post #95 of 208 Old 02-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 72
Okay, just finished the movie and saw very few problems with audio, video, or the 3D presentation. I enjoyed this film and thought it looked and sounded great. I'll be watching it at least a couple more times within the next few weeks in 2D and 3D, and that might change my opinion of the movie, but I doubt it. I'm wondering if some of those that were complaining about the video and/or audio quality before the release were watching pirated copies, which could of course come with some degradation in quality. Don't know what version or release they saw, but I'm quite happy with the 3D blu-ray package that I purchased directly from Amazon. smile.gif
Ralph Potts and Djoel like this.

oz
post #96 of 208 Old 02-25-2014, 06:03 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Frank, you haven't seen it yet? eek.gif I do hope you enjoy it, compadre...wish I had your gear for watching it... cool.gif

Thanks Taranteacher smile.gif

Frank
post #97 of 208 Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 842
I got my copy delivered from BestBuy today. I stuck it in to take a look and ended up watching the entire movie in 3D. 3D seems to be like I remember from the two IMAX showings I saw. Not much really in your face 3D but to me a little more conservative which I prefer. It was certainly in 3D and you could easily see the depth. And the audio was outstanding. Plus a lot of low frequencies. It certainly gave my SVS sub a workout in some instances.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #98 of 208 Old 02-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Probably one of, if not the best 3D representations yet... I watched it all the way through.... Not often for other 3D flicks.
post #99 of 208 Old 02-26-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Still waiting for Gravity to be relesed in Norway...

Rented it on Vudu last night, in HD (not super HDX).

Utterly fantastic! Really nice and sharp video, amazing and detailed 5.1 audio. When this movie looks so good ib compressed video on demand, I just cant wait to get my fingers on the bluray disc!
post #100 of 208 Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
CIH USER

I've just finished watching this film and I loved it. It kept me on the edge of my seat definitely a keeper for me. Pq was fantastic, I saw it in 2D and it was top notch and on a CIH display this movie really worked well. The Aq was very good as well.
Thank for you review Ralph it's spot on as usual.
Taranteacher likes this.

Frank
post #101 of 208 Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well I ran out last night and bought this, and then ran out of time to watch it for the first time. I plan to watch it this coming weekend, and reading so many positive things about the 3D, it's making me want a new 3D tv (as I bought the 3D bundle) May have to wait until I get to my inlaws in 3 weeks to watch it in 3D, but I know this won't disappoint.

post #102 of 208 Old 02-26-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I concur with Ralph--There's definitely not much missing with it only having a 5.1 soundtrack. I have a 9.2 setup (heights), running DTS Neo:x and there was one point where someone's voice was coming straight from and only the rear surrounds. That was more a discrete effect than I've heard with many 7.1 soundtracks.

One thing I was having a hard time telling though was whether some distortion related sound effects were from the sound track or my system. A lot of the sounds have that very muffled sound (since we're just hearing the vibrations).
post #103 of 208 Old 02-26-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I was really impressed by the sound work and feel this was a technically well done film, but as for the movie itself - I felt it was an alright tense drama flick. I put it in the same category as a lot of summer action films.

The only thing that kept me paying attention was the level of anxiety it generated, but kind of like those "jump out and scare you" internet videos, it really only works once.

The implausibility of it all - from the things that went wrong to how they were resolved) just seemed too much and unlike the Matrix, there wasn't enough depth to make reviewing such a string of implausible actions really interesting.

I'm sure I'll pick this up because it is a fun first watch so if someone hasn't seen it, it would be good to have, but I can't see myself ever watching it again on my own.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #104 of 208 Old 02-26-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

the one good thing i can say is to my knowledge this actually might be a NEW movie, and not a remake of a re-imagining, of a movie, of a book written 200 yrs ago...

+1 I'm surprised at how much I appreciate an original idea.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
post #105 of 208 Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 PM

Liked: 16
Jeez Warner Brothers, you could of sprung the extra cent for a blu-ray Multi-Case instead of just jamming two discs onto one hub, or am I the only one whose disc was like that?
post #106 of 208 Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

One thing I was having a hard time telling though was whether some distortion related sound effects were from the sound track or my system. A lot of the sounds have that very muffled sound (since we're just hearing the vibrations).

It was from the soundtrack. Too be honest I hate when they do that makes you question if that is coming from your system.

Frank
post #107 of 208 Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I abso-friggin-lutely LOVED the surround mix! The 100 rating for Audio is spot on. As for the 3D presentation, while it was good, I didn't feel it stood out over other films with well-regarded use of 3D. But on the whole, the movie is a fabulous, 90-minute thrill ride.
post #108 of 208 Old 02-27-2014, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Greetings,

I am pleased to hear the positive experiences coming in for those that have seen Gravity on Blu-ray. Enjoy...! smile.gif

Regards,
Djoel likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #109 of 208 Old 02-27-2014, 05:16 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

Jeez Warner Brothers, you could of sprung the extra cent for a blu-ray Multi-Case instead of just jamming two discs onto one hub, or am I the only one whose disc was like that?

Here in Canada, the 3D bundle has a multi case. When you open the case, I had the DVD version on the left, and the 3D version on the right but along with the 3D version on the right is the Bluray version as well.

post #110 of 208 Old 02-27-2014, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Watched this last night, it was definitely a 3D visual masterpiece above all imo, I found myself dizzy in some scenes or like I was actually floating in space. One of my biggest qualms is the fact that I think it should have been presented in 1.78 rather than 2.35. The movie itself was good, not great imo, some very cheesy lines and a little slow, but entertaining overall. I actually had some issue with the audio, the constant bass hum was annoying to me and really distracted me from the dialogue, that being said, it definitely used every channel more than any other movie I own except maybe Man of Steel. I don't know if I'd watch it again if it were only 2D, but given the 3D presentation I'll be watching it again.

post #111 of 208 Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

This is normal. I have a bunch of titles that have two discs on one hub. I don't mind it because I just put the discs I'm less likely to use on the bottom.

SO with Gravity, I put the DVD on the bottom since I will NEVER use the DVD. I just wish they would sell a version without the DVD. I have zero use for a DVD since I stopped watching DVDs in 2005.
Djoel likes this.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #112 of 208 Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 582
I picked this movie up Tuesday morning from BB. I picked up the 2D as I just was not paying $30 for a bluray, considering I am already paying for stuff I don't need anyway.

This movie pretty much reminded me of The Blair Witch Project as everybody is just raving about it and when i seen it, I just could believe how bad it was. I wanna say that this was close to one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I was bored stiff. Sandra Bullock was a complete bore, I mean any actress could have played that part and she was not even hot, I find her very sexy and she just did not do anything for me. Just bad acting. The movie had some special effects and the sound was OK IMO, but there is nothing to write home about here other than I wasted $22 bucks and felt a little sick in the begging when the screen was spinning. If this movie wins best picture, it will go down as the 2nd worst movie to win best picture, 2nd to ARGO. Just calling it how I see it.

For the movies sake, I am going to watch this movie over again. I am going to watch it alone and loud, however I don't think anything will change.
post #113 of 208 Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
What a great sounding blu ray ! Loved the movie too.

Kaboom.
post #114 of 208 Old 02-28-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noman74656 View Post

+1 I'm surprised at how much I appreciate an original idea.

May be first movie with the Kessler Syndrome as a central element, but the chain reaction of LEO space debris has been in a number of SciFi novels since Kessler first published his thoughts on the possibility in 1978. FWIW, I thought the movie was entertaining and the 3D was better in my home than at the theater (damn passive glasses and silver screens).

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #115 of 208 Old 02-28-2014, 04:30 PM

Liked: 11
Hi guys

What ratio should i use on my 3d tv for this movie?
on the blu ray
there is
-16:9 original
-16:9 full

AND

on the tv
there is
-Just Scan
-16:9
-4:3
-Set by programm

thanks,
Also, will reducing the black bars by messing with this set ups be a disadvantage?

My receiver also has several options i want to tinker with
for example there is
5channel
and 5channel enhancer

if i choose the 5channel enhancer will it modify vastly the original soundmix?
there is also a "straight" setting, but it doesnt seem to work really good in my experience.

thanks guys
post #116 of 208 Old 02-28-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Easy one....16X9 Original and JUST SCAN. Reducing the black bars means you're either stretching the picture or zooming-in. Best to leave it as is and enjoy the complete experience.

post #117 of 208 Old 03-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

since I stopped watching DVDs in 2005.

I've been watching BDs (mostly from Netflix) for several years, but there are movies, documentaries, etc. that are only released on DVDs and (most likely) will never be released on BDs.
post #118 of 208 Old 03-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSer View Post

I've been watching BDs (mostly from Netflix) for several years, but there are movies, documentaries, etc. that are only released on DVDs and (most likely) will never be released on BDs.
I know. Watching dvds on bluray discs with upscaler on 1080p tv makes it look pretty good.
post #119 of 208 Old 03-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I thought the SQ was amazing on my 9.1 set-up but I was very disappointed in the 2D PQ. I thought some scenes looked flat and I spotted noise in several scenes. I think the PQ is a major let down.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000 Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Onkyo 818 receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.1-set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaces by B&W ) bookshelf Height Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA XS30se sub, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #120 of 208 Old 03-02-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39

So which version of the story did you see?

We had not seen Gravity at the local theater.  As we most often do, we waited for the Blu-ray to come out and rent; this time a blind buy.

We had guests over last night to watch on our projection system.  I enjoyed the move, was amazed that it was so short, it felt a little rushed at the end, and I'm not sure I fully understand all of the Oscar nominations for this one.

Never the less I did enjoy the move and took it at face value.  At the end, thinking out loud I said,

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I wonder where she landed?

One of our guests said that they had wondered the same thing and read about an alternative idea in that

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Dr. Ryan Stone had died earlier perhaps in the Russian Soyuz capsule or maybe in the Chinese space station or escape capsule during re-entry.  Also, that perhaps she had landed on what she perceived to be a kind of Paradise.  Of course all of that works when you think about it.

Anyhow, that story line had not occurred to me.  If I Google I see that this alternate story, rather than face value, is all over the net.  So which story did you see.  Sorry if this has been discussed here earlier.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Gravity Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page