Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstvnoob View Post

Hi, I have a question about the 3D Gravity blue ray release.

How do they implement the 3D on this disc?

I don't know much about 3D but I have seem some movies that show the picture side by side, Vertically or Horizontally, and then the TV merges both images.

Is this how it works with this disc?

I have a Samsung 3D TV and I want to know if this film is compatible with it.

My TV comes with glasses and it does as I describe above. It merges two sets of images automatically.

I believe the bluray standard is to place the two images side by side. So the disc actually has a 3840x1080 image for each frame. Your display should have no problem with it.
No, SBS (Side-by-side) and Top&Bottom are half resolution formats (like HBO 3D, which uses SBS to reduce bandwidth).

All commercial 3D BluRay discs that I know of use full resolution frames. You don't see the 2 images in 2 separate windows. They're alternated (and the active shutter glasses alternately black out one eye, then the other). Without the glasses on, you'll see a doubled/blurred looking image as the images overlap.

If the display chain is 3D capable, just turn everything on, pop the disc in the player and put on the glasses, it will automatically recognize the 3D.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 194 Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

No, SBS (Side-by-side) and Top&Bottom are half resolution formats (like HBO 3D, which uses SBS to reduce bandwidth).

All commercial 3D BluRay discs that I know of use full resolution frames. You don't see the 2 images in 2 separate windows. They're alternated (and the active shutter glasses alternately black out one eye, then the other). Without the glasses on, you'll see a doubled/blurred looking image as the images overlap.

If the display chain is 3D capable, just turn everything on, pop the disc in the player and put on the glasses, it will automatically recognize the 3D.

Max
Do you have any references I could check out? I did some quick searching this morning after seeing your post and didn't come up with much one way or the other. If I had it wrong, I'll go edit my post to make that clear. I hate spreading misinformation.
Though immaterial to this discussion, you've also got me trying to think back to what I saw that convinced me it was side by side on a Blu-ray.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #183 of 194 Old 04-01-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Check out www.3d-blurayrental.com. I've rented dozens of 3D BD titles from them.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #184 of 194 Old 04-01-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

Quote:

Max
Do you have any references I could check out? I did some quick searching this morning after seeing your post and didn't come up with much one way or the other. If I had it wrong, I'll go edit my post to make that clear. I hate spreading misinformation.
Though immaterial to this discussion, you've also got me trying to think back to what I saw that convinced me it was side by side on a Blu-ray.
http://www.3duniversity.net/page.aspx?page=33
Google "3D frame packed vs side by side SBS" and you'll find a lot more.

Max
post #185 of 194 Old 04-01-2014, 01:23 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

http://www.3duniversity.net/page.aspx?page=33
Google "3D frame packed vs side by side SBS" and you'll find a lot more.

Max

What an interesting rabbit hole this seems to be. The site you linked seems to say exactly the same thing I did. The first google result from the search you suggested is an AVS discussion claiming blu-rays use top/bottom stacking, resulting in a 1920x2205 sized image. And the first non-AVS google result claimed blurays use a standard image size with doubled frame rate.

Regardless, my feeling is that we've taken this thread off topic long enough. It's an interesting topic, but it probably should be in it's own thread in a more appropriate forum if we're going to continue it. sstvnoob, I don't think we convincingly answered your question. But I believe the real reason you were asking was a question of compatibility. And the simple answer for that is to not worry about it. If you have a stereoscopic compatible display and bluray player (i.e. both are labeled "3D"), the disc will work. For the purposes of home playback, the frame packing strategy used is irrelevant.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #186 of 194 Old 04-07-2014, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Finally watched Gravity last night and it was…..terrible! The cinematography was great and it was technically executed well, but the story and the dialog was contrived. It felt they were more interested in proving they could make a movie then telling a story. The drama was forced and the dialog was cheesy. Anytime I felt like I might get pulled into the story…BAM…. They would do something completely unnecessary to remind me I was watching a movie. Only thing missing was bus running her over just before the credits. eek.gif
post #187 of 194 Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This is one great ride. Sure it plays fast and lose with physics but it is entertaining without having to check your brains at the door.
post #188 of 194 Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27

Watched this in 3D yesterday and was blown away, review and score are spot on. The scene where the camera zooms in and we're now in her helmet and the sound changes, I was like wow did that just happen!

The Oscar for sound mixing is well deserved. The mix doesn't constantly bombard you with LFE but when present, it goes low, low, low.

Vizio M551D -- Denon 1613 -- Vizio 3D Blu-ray

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

post #189 of 194 Old 04-29-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Watched the 2D version over the weekend and thought the A/V was great. i enjoyed the story but felt the dialog was the weak link, especially given the cast.

I liked this much better than American Hustle. Up next, WoWS.

post #190 of 194 Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I'm way way late to this party but I finally watched this tonight. Holy bass. This movie had so much bass that was felt rather than heard. At one point I noticed the pitcher of beer I had on the coffee table had ripples in it ala the T-Rex footfalls in Jurassic park. Certain scenes made the hair on my neck stand up.
Ralph Potts and Taranteacher like this.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #191 of 194 Old 07-09-2014, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
I'm way way late to this party but I finally watched this tonight. Holy bass. This movie had so much bass that was felt rather than heard. At one point I noticed the pitcher of beer I had on the coffee table had ripples in it ala the T-Rex footfalls in Jurassic park. Certain scenes made the hair on my neck stand up.

Greetings,

Better late than never BNestico...!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #192 of 194 Old 07-11-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Tonight I'll be checking the overhead flies buzzing, starting @ 1:21:16 , after Sandra Bullock emerges from the water.

* For me, the soundtrack is the real deal here. ...And even in space the music conveys its magnitude and danger perfectly.
post #193 of 194 Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Just watched this in 3D for the forth or fifth time. Your review nails this movie, Ralph -- at least for me. It's interesting how certain unexpected events can present the opportunity to see past our self-imposed handicaps so we can find meaning in life, embrace it and move on in a positive way.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #194 of 194 Old 08-23-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Just watched this in 3D for the forth or fifth time. Your review nails this movie, Ralph -- at least for me. It's interesting how certain unexpected events can present the opportunity to see past our self-imposed handicaps so we can find meaning in life, embrace it and move on in a positive way.
Greetings,

Thanks Deja Vu. I am glad that you really enjoy this excellent film...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Gravity Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page