The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 109 Old 03-09-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I did not realize this was Lionsgate. I'm sure it will be DD for the rental.....damn!

I know they are pushing the buy, but It gets worse...the BD starts with a DTS MA track, sound teaser..then the previews are DD, which is standard, but then so is the movie. So...into my cynical mode I go...I refuse to buy a movie for an audio track and Toe you know how I feel...I like you want what we had and nothing short of what is capable. I really want to bring back the rental, call Redbox, get a refund which they will do and tell them not to cater to the studios...blah blah. I know, waste of time. I am paying the same and getting less, yet the studios are paying less and giving us less and making more. They get more money, we get less product. The industry is not making enough profit to offset consumer dislike for less product/same price and that is why we will be going to all downloads in a few years and getting less unless they can come up with a way to offer eq sound and pic. Granted the industry is in business to make money, but I don't need ANY of this....its a want...empowerment, but I don't want it bad enough to play the game. Wish I could turn back the clock to having stores like Hollywood and BD's with lossless.

Great movie, PQ is stellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

wish I would have read this thread before I went out and rented from Redbox.

I don't think I am going to do Redbox anymore.

mad.gif
Just watched it w/o reading this thread, DD 5.1 only via RedBox , wtf Lionsgate??
Tomorrow I'm submitting claim to RedBox and request refund.
Blu-ray touts both video and audio as highest quality. DD5.1 is inferior.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 109 Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted on both RedBox and Lionsgate facebook page on DD 5.1 on a Blu-ray, suggest others here complaining do same....
https://www.facebook.com/redbox
https://www.facebook.com/lionsgate
post #63 of 109 Old 03-09-2014, 05:56 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I posted on both RedBox and Lionsgate facebook page on DD 5.1 on a Blu-ray, suggest others here complaining do same....

I assume you have to be a facebook member to comment? I don't know that I would comment anyway (I am not going to join facebook just to comment on this) since they certainly know audio enthusiasts don't like this practice and isn't that the point? Isn't this a business tactic to try and generate more sales? If so, I really don't see any point in complaining.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #64 of 109 Old 03-09-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:

I assume you have to be a facebook member to comment? I don't know that I would comment anyway (I am not going to join facebook just to comment on this) since they certainly know audio enthusiasts don't like this practice and isn't that the point? Isn't this a business tactic to try and generate more sales? If so, I really don't see any point in complaining.

Yes, you need to have a facebook account.....

For me this is an ethics item, a principal thing. Lionsgate is stripping lossless audio from rentals, yet expecting premium $ from them. Lionsgate is the studio who produce and released the movie, RedBox also gets extra revenue from customers who choose to rent Blu-ray.
It's like paying for Premium gas for your sports car, then finding our the gas supply company and the corner gas station both decided that Regular was good enough for you and your car.
Phrehdd likes this.
post #65 of 109 Old 03-09-2014, 07:13 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 262
my copy should arrive tomorrow looking forward to it.

Frank
post #66 of 109 Old 03-09-2014, 07:20 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I enjoyed it immensely, hate the first one. You'll love it.

Dan

Thanks Dan looking forward to it.

Frank
post #67 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

Yes, you need to have a facebook account.....

For me this is an ethics item, a principal thing. Lionsgate is stripping lossless audio from rentals, yet expecting premium $ from them. Lionsgate is the studio who produce and released the movie, RedBox also gets extra revenue from customers who choose to rent Blu-ray.
It's like paying for Premium gas for your sports car, then finding our the gas supply company and the corner gas station both decided that Regular was good enough for you and your car.

I rented the blu ray disc from Netflix. I'll first say the film was enjoyable for what it was and yes, it didn't have the HD audio track.

Perhaps both Redbox and Netflix need to be taken to task for not providing a "complete" blu ray for rent. This is almost in the league of false advertisement when crippled discs are put out to the public. Cripple as in missing the HD audio track which is part of the experience one expects from blu ray level movies. I've put Lionsgate on my "wont buy from" list. Disney I understand has done this too but cannot verify that. I find it interesting that I can rent Game of Thrones and get the full HD audio but a mediocre (but enjoyable) film like this one Lionsgate takes us for a ride. Shameful.
post #68 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

I rented the blu ray disc from Netflix. I'll first say the film was enjoyable for what it was and yes, it didn't have the HD audio track.

Perhaps both Redbox and Netflix need to be taken to task for not providing a "complete" blu ray for rent. This is almost in the league of false advertisement when crippled discs are put out to the public. Cripple as in missing the HD audio track which is part of the experience one expects from blu ray level movies. I've put Lionsgate on my "wont buy from" list. Disney I understand has done this too but cannot verify that. I find it interesting that I can rent Game of Thrones and get the full HD audio but a mediocre (but enjoyable) film like this one Lionsgate takes us for a ride. Shameful.

Funny you should mention the lack of HD audio.....

When the Hunger Games came out, I rented it from Redbox for the family to watch. I went to the trouble of hunting the Bluray so as to have the full "audio experience". When we played the movie, I noticed the AVR showing "DD 5.1". I went through the disc menu, AVR set up etc. to "try and correct". Only after I removed the disc and examined it, I noticed it only had "Dolby Digital" on the disc.....

I was perturbed, and ended up calling Redbox. The CSR had no idea of what I was talking about of course, hence no explanation. But, as a coincedence, I just received an email notice that someone had quoted my original post of this issue. It seems some posters also had run into this same issue with rented media.

I guess this is a cost cutting move for the media rental services. In full honesty, I'm certain I am the only one in the household that would notice the difference as well. However, this time I bought "Catching Fire" instead of renting it! And, I made sure the package stated HD audio formats!

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #69 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Regarding lionsgate and audio, I think they do rentals in DD 5.1 when the main disk is DTS MA 7.1. When the main disk is DTS MA 5.1, I've got the DTS MA 5.1 on the rental. Can anyone confirm this? It would help make purchasing/rental decisions. I also wonder if they are using higher video compression on the rentals in combination with the low res audio to ensure being able to use a single layer disks. It would interesting to find. In general, the low quality rental frustrates me, but lionsgate's retail disks always seem top notch.

Ben
post #70 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Withrow View Post

Regarding lionsgate and audio, I think they do rentals in DD 5.1 when the main disk is DTS MA 7.1. When the main disk is DTS MA 5.1, I've got the DTS MA 5.1 on the rental. Can anyone confirm this? It would help make purchasing/rental decisions. I also wonder if they are using higher video compression on the rentals in combination with the low res audio to ensure being able to use a single layer disks. It would interesting to find. In general, the low quality rental frustrates me, but lionsgate's retail disks always seem top notch.

Some further info here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471374/redbox-blu-ray-with-dolby-5-1-only

Can't verify yet, but it seems like Lionsgate may have different versions for the rental market. Perhaps they want to drive us to purchase vs. rent....
Djoel likes this.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #71 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Liked: 15
There is no question about that, at least for 7.1 movies. Does anyone know if the rental changes aspect ratios for the IMAX scenes?

Ben
post #72 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41 View Post

Perhaps they want to drive us to purchase vs. rent....

Agree 100%

DJoel
post #73 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
0928ec75-59a9-4dfb-ba68-7fbf0e54b803_zps6a24660f.jpg

31947733_vbattach109949.jpeg

Ralph, it's clearly a conflict of interest to post reviews of movies that you had a role in.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #74 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

MV5BMTg0ODMzMzIyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQxNTI4Mw@@._V1_SY109_CR0,0,75,109_.jpg

Image does not show up
Quote:
Referral Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTg0ODMzMzIyN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTQxNTI4Mw@@._V1_SY109_CR0,0,75,109_.jpg" on this server.

Reference #24.1405d217.1394496619.59e8c6b
post #75 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted a "complaint" to RedBox, here it is, I'll post their answer
Quote:
Question Reference #xxxxxx-xxxxxx
Summary: General Question
Date Created: 03/10/2014 0x:xx AM
Last Updated: 03/10/2014 0x:xx AM
What can we help you with?: General Question
We are here to assist you with: DVD/Blu Ray/Games Rental

DVD Rented
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Rental Location Address
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Discussion Thread
Customer By Web Form (mike r) 03/10/2014 0x:xx AM
Hi;
Transaction ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxblu-ray not have lossless audio - request refund
I rented The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

It doe NOT contain lossless HD audio like Blu-ray should, rather only DolbyDigital 5.1 Audio.

Therefore I"m requesting a full refund of my $1.59.
Blu-ray touts both video and audio as highest quality. DD 5.1 is inferior.
please make clear to customer their Blu-ray may not contain HD audio

and their response,
Quote:
Subject
General Question

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Redbox Support) 03/10/2014 0x:xx PM
Hello Mike,

Thank you for contacting Redbox Customer Care. We're sorry that the Blu ray you rented did not have the audio that you like. Please understand that to keep rental cost low, Redbox has made agreements with studios to provide DolbyDigital 5.1 audio on some of our Blu ray discs. We just ask that going forward you keep this in mind, so not all the Blu ray discs you rent will have the audio you are asking for.

We understand how disappointing it is when you're unable to rent something in the format you want Mike. As a one time courtesy, I’ve issued you a rental credit, good for free, one-day rental of any DVD or Blu-ray Disc of your choice. The credit is valid for 30 days from today's date.

• To use a credit at a box: at checkout, touch the USE CREDITS button. Then swipe a payment card associated with your redbox.com account, confirm your credits and finish checking out.

• To use a credit on redbox.com or the mobile app: on the checkout screen, check the box that says “use credits.” Then log in to the account associated with your credits, confirm your credits and finish checking out.

If you have any more questions, please visit https://redbox.custhelp.com

Thank you,

Redbox Customer Care
So, they have come "clean", admit they've negotiated using audio "downgrade" of DD 5.1 as cost cutting measure.

Now I've got the facts from them, so how does that make you feel?

I'd like to see a sign on all the Redbox machines:
"Warning: Blu-ray disc may not contain lossless audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc), may contain lossy audio format such as Dolby Digital 5.1 / DTS 5.1, you rent Blu-ray as is, no refunds given".

I posted this on Redbox comments to the movie, curious how long it lasts there before they delete the comment.
RedBox%2520audio.jpg
post #76 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I fortunately have a mom and pop dvd/br rental store not to far from my house and they charge $2.50 per rental and they are all the originals shipped blu-ray with extras, lossless sound, etc. I've quit going to red box due to this issue and I will pay the extra dollar.
post #77 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelZ View Post

I fortunately have a mom and pop dvd/br rental store not to far from my house and they charge $2.50 per rental and they are all the originals shipped blu-ray with extras, lossless sound, etc. I've quit going to red box due to this issue and I will pay the extra dollar.

I miss those little video stores, inexpensive, happy to see you rent from them. Nothing missing from the disc box with all the fixings !

Really miss that. frown.gif

Djoel
post #78 of 109 Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this box set for the first movie

http://www.amazon.com/Hunger-4-Disc-Collectors-Blu-Ray-Exclusive/dp/B008YL7MSA/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394512457&sr=1-3&keywords=hunger+games+box+set

I assumed the extra space would be for future movies to be placed in the box (there is enough room for two more identical books)

Does anyone know if this is the case and if so when it will be released?

I want to get the second movie but don't want to buy a steel book or something else if I can get one that belongs in this box.

If this isn't the case anyone know which release has the best packaging to go next to it?
post #79 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

I actually enjoyed this 2nd film a bit more than the first but might watch them both again to see if that impression holds. Oh, and I totally agree with your audio and video scores. The audio sounded particularly good once they were in the jungle when the game started. All those background noises coming from various creatures living there made me feel like I was right there with the contestants.

oz
post #80 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

I actually enjoyed this 2nd film a bit more than the first but might watch them both again to see if that impression holds. Oh, and I totally agree with your audio and video scores. The audio sounded particularly good once they were in the jungle when the game started. All those background noises coming from various creatures living there made me feel like I was right there with the contestants.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it oz..! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #81 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

0928ec75-59a9-4dfb-ba68-7fbf0e54b803_zps6a24660f.jpg

Ralph, it's clearly a conflict of interest to post reviews of movies that you had a role in.

Greetings,

biggrin.gif

Thanks..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #82 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Ralph, did you already post an explanation of your new non-rating rating category?
post #83 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Ralph, did you already post an explanation of your new non-rating rating category?

Greetings,

Yes I did. You can see it here:

General Review thread update

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #84 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 01:53 PM

Liked: 21
I too rented from Redbox over the weekend and noticed the DD5.1.

The other thing that bothered me was the PQ. Not as great as some reviews would lead you believe.

I'm curious if the store-bought version has a better PQ.
post #85 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

interesting, never noticed this part before.
post #86 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Jennifer Lawrence was incredible. I haven't read the books, but something about this movie really did it for me. I felt like this one got me much more emotionally invested. Just kind of drew me in.

I thought the first one wasn't anything special. Even though the plot was similar in this one, there were some nice twists that really made the movie interesting...and the ending was AWESOME! Really can't wait to see the last one.
post #87 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post

I Snip
The other thing that bothered me was the PQ. Not as great as some reviews would lead you believe.

I'm curious if the store-bought version has a better PQ.

That would be a deal breaker for me is that's the actual case.

Djoel
post #88 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jennifer Lawrence was incredible. I haven't read the books, but something about this movie really did it for me. I felt like this one got me much more emotionally invested. Just kind of drew me in.

I thought the first one wasn't anything special. Even though the plot was similar in this one, there were some nice twists that really made the movie interesting...and the ending was AWESOME! Really can't wait to see the last one.

I feel the same way, I HATED the first one, (watched at the theaters) I just did not get the appeal of it, yet went into this one with the same sort of feeling ( watched at home 64" screen)then thing turned around for me, as well as my gal we both loved it.

Djoel
post #89 of 109 Old 03-11-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Shockingly good after the godawful prequel.
post #90 of 109 Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I am about 2/3 of the way through this one (got too tired after work last night....will finish tonight), and even though I do like this one better than the first one so far, I just can't understand why this franchise is so popular. I find them to be very depressing and uncomfortable for the most part. The first one really left me feeling awkward with all the killing of children, to the degree that I just had no desire to see it a second time. I'm already feeling similarly with this one, albeit for different reasons.

I'm not saying these are bad films, I'm just really surprised that people are so gung ho about films with this subject material.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Hunger Games Catching Fire Dvd Blu Ray Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page