The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 109 Old 03-12-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I rent at a Family Video. All their Lionsgate movies have been DD5.1 that I've rented this year, so it's not just Redbox. I didn't realize this till I came home with the movie and DTS-MA was not an option. mad.gif

YID DIY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I am about 2/3 of the way through this one (got too tired after work last night....will finish tonight), and even though I do like this one better than the first one so far, I just can't understand why this franchise is so popular. I find them to be very depressing and uncomfortable for the most part. The first one really left me feeling awkward with all the killing of children, to the degree that I just had no desire to see it a second time. I'm already feeling similarly with this one, albeit for different reasons.

I'm not saying these are bad films, I'm just really surprised that people are so gung ho about films with this subject material.
Perhaps you're living in a cocoon. tongue.gif...I'm not sure that people necessarily feel comfortable about it, but the doom and gloom that permeates society these days is reflected in movies like this.
Djoel likes this.
post #93 of 109 Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Perhaps you're living in a cocoon. tongue.gif...I'm not sure that people necessarily feel comfortable about it, but the doom and gloom that permeates society these days is reflected in movies like this.

Sounds like a good reason to stay in my cocoon then!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 109 Old 03-12-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 88
In literature, it's called a Dystopia (as contrasted with Utopia). As Dystopian fiction this is first-rate stuff.

I liked the first one a lot, though I bought it and didn't watch it for many months. We didn't see it at the cinema, so I patiently waited until my GF finally agreed to watch it. I wasn't sure what we were getting into, but she liked it a whole lot, and I was impressed, too. I thought Jennifer Lawrence was incredible, and the general oppressive/indulgent theme was very cleanly articulated. I felt the characters were well-defined, as were the societal extremes, and I eagerly awaited the second installment.

The character development in Catching Fire is very well wrought, and I think that has to do in some part to the change in directors and also the maturing of the franchise. It's easier to see the trajectory of the main characters as they come face-to-face with the Dystopian world in which they live. Even Snow is a better-defined character--human after all.

It's a common theme, after all, under the mightiest of oppressive regimes a hero (or heroine) will rise, often unwillingly, unwittingly.

I know we sometimes fixate on one aspect of a film. What's the LFE? How pristine is the picture? How effectively does the surround create a verisimilitude of what we expect to hear in real life? Does the plot make sense? Are there scientific, logical, or physical flaws in the presentation?

For me, it starts with characterization. Regardless of anachronisms, failures of science, physics, or logic, and plot holes, if the characters resonate with me, then all is good. In this case, the characters, the plot, and the message all make eminent subjective sense. The audio presentation in my home gives me all the "you are there" that I need, and the video contains a sense of realism and immediacy that causes me to forget anything other than what's on screen. I feel the impact in my chest, I hear the screams all around me, I sense the stillness of the moment, and I hear the break in Katniss's voice as though she's right next to me. It doesn't get much better.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #95 of 109 Old 03-12-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:

I am about 2/3 of the way through this one (got too tired after work last night....will finish tonight), and even though I do like this one better than the first one so far, I just can't understand why this franchise is so popular. I find them to be very depressing and uncomfortable for the most part. The first one really left me feeling awkward with all the killing of children, to the degree that I just had no desire to see it a second time. I'm already feeling similarly with this one, albeit for different reasons.

I'm not saying these are bad films, I'm just really surprised that people are so gung ho about films with this subject material.

Because the most part we live in a society of pure doom and gloom, most folks eat this stuff up. Every so often we're running around thinking the wold will end at some predestined date , prophesying our demise! I think people tend to feel powerful in these scenarios when seeing them on film, in turn getting a healthy amount of sleep hours smile.gif

Djoel

post #96 of 109 Old 03-12-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a good reason to stay in my cocoon then!
And whatever you do, stay away from The Road!
curtisb likes this.
post #97 of 109 Old 03-13-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

I rent at a Family Video. All their Lionsgate movies have been DD5.1 that I've rented this year, so it's not just Redbox. I didn't realize this till I came home with the movie and DTS-MA was not an option. mad.gif
95% of people couldn't care less. So I'm actually surprised more studios don't do this if it saves them money. I certainly care and have an audio setup that cares, but I know my parents, siblings, and friends wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

It does seem petty. Really how much more per disc could it cost to include the additional audio?
post #98 of 109 Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post

It does seem petty. Really how much more per disc could it cost to include the additional audio?

This: Exactly what i was wondering, "really you already have this mix, just added to the rest! To me seem more expensive just to have more than one version.

Djoel

post #99 of 109 Old 03-14-2014, 04:44 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Watched this last night, faaantastic!! Loved every minute of it. I watched it in scope and didn't realise the change ( I guess I was enjoying the movie too much to even notice it )
Djoel, audiofan1 and Taranteacher like this.

Frank

post #100 of 109 Old 03-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Watched this last night, faaantastic!! Loved every minute of it. I watched it in scope and didn't realise the change ( I guess I was enjoying the movie too much to even notice it )

Thanks for the report Franin! So you thought the IMAX portions framed well enough in scope?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #101 of 109 Old 03-14-2014, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Dystopian future stories are mean to be depressing and uncomfortable or they wouldn't be called dystopian future stories.. smile.gif As for the "killing of children", this is a key part of how it is trying to make you feel uncomfortable and outraged at the 'bad guys'. It is for the target audience (teens) of the books to see themselves in the story. There is also the fact that every movie that shows wars is where children were slaughtered by the thousands, some represent this in some way but most don't. There is also the fact that most of these kids are more than old enough to have been part of almost any war or other battle up until recently in developed countries. Kids younger than what is on the shows are part of wars/battles/gangs etc all over the world today. This movie is very very tame compared to some sad aspects of reality. Watch Battle Royale if you want to really have an issue with kid-killing-kids movies.. wink.gif
post #102 of 109 Old 03-14-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisb View Post

Dystopian future stories are mean to be depressing and uncomfortable or they wouldn't be called dystopian future stories.. smile.gif As for the "killing of children", this is a key part of how it is trying to make you feel uncomfortable and outraged at the 'bad guys'. It is for the target audience (teens) of the books to see themselves in the story. There is also the fact that every movie that shows wars is where children were slaughtered by the thousands, some represent this in some way but most don't. There is also the fact that most of these kids are more than old enough to have been part of almost any war or other battle up until recently in developed countries. Kids younger than what is on the shows are part of wars/battles/gangs etc all over the world today. This movie is very very tame compared to some sad aspects of reality. Watch Battle Royale if you want to really have an issue with kid-killing-kids movies.. wink.gif

Yeah, I've seen Battle Royale, but I think you're missing the point of what I said. I'm simply surprised that such a film could reach such amazing popularity. In a way, to me, it would be as if Schindler's List had people just overly enthusiastic about it and saying how much they can't wait for the next installment. And before some of you start lunging at your keyboards, I am fully aware that that is an extreme example, I'm simply using it to further explain my comment.

PS: Having now seen the end of Catching Fire, I love where the franchise is going...so I don't share the same feeling about t his one that I did for the first film, which is good news for me. I'm actually eager to see where this goes now.
Djoel likes this.

post #103 of 109 Old 03-14-2014, 05:44 PM

Based on the first, I wouldn't have bothered watching this one, but the reviews were encouraging. Yes, the dystopia is still on tap, but the children-killing spree is over.
post #104 of 109 Old 03-14-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Based on the first, I wouldn't have bothered watching this one, but the reviews were encouraging. Yes, the dystopia is still on tap, but the children-killing spree is over.

It's a better film, IMO. Worth a viewing for sure.

Was sad for me seeing Phillip Seymour Hoffman, as he's been my favorite actor for a decade now, but was glad to know that he'll be in both the final two upcoming films. Apparently he taped nearly all of his scenes prior to his death.

post #105 of 109 Old 03-15-2014, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just fyi...someone just commented on UK release thread forum on BR dot com that the Swedish disc is fixed 2.40:1 for those interested, so no IMAX scenes. Might be useful for those with fixed 2.35:1 type screens?
post #106 of 109 Old 03-15-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just get a refund from red box.

Energy RC 70 fronts
Energy RC LCR center
Energy RC LCR surrounds
Rythmik LV12R and Mirage Omni 12 subwoofers
Denon 2112CI
post #107 of 109 Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 PM

First time I've watched the extra features in a while. I really hope the special effects guys make a butt load of money. It seems like 95% of what you see is CGI.

I like how they transitioned to the Imax camera as Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Katniss rose up into the arena. I noticed it switched over, but didn't catch that they did it as she went up. Nice touch to do it then. I wish I had seen this in Imax now.
popalock likes this.
post #108 of 109 Old 03-16-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:

It's a better film, IMO. Worth a viewing for sure.

Was sad for me seeing Phillip Seymour Hoffman, as he's been my favorite actor for a decade now, but was glad to know that he'll be in both the final two upcoming films. Apparently he taped nearly all of his scenes prior to his death.
He had one major scene left that was going to take some intense acting by him and one or two where he was just in the scene (or so I heard this week). Selfishly I am glad he was able to do most of it. He was the perfect casting for Plutarch.
post #109 of 109 Old 03-17-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson1 View Post

He had one major scene left that was going to take some intense acting by him and one or two where he was just in the scene (or so I heard this week). Selfishly I am glad he was able to do most of it. He was the perfect casting for Plutarch.
I agree...he was perfect for that role, although I'm very much biased and can't think of any role he's portrayed where he didn't do a great job. I still can't believe he's gone....

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Hunger Games Catching Fire Dvd Blu Ray Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page