Studio and Year: Disney - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.24:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Kristin Bell, Josh Gad, Idina Menzel, Jonathon Groff, Alan Tudyk, Santino Fontana, Ciaran Hinds
Directed by: Jennifer Lee & Chris Buck
Music by: Robert Lopez, Kristin Anderson-Lopez, Christophe Beck
Written by: Jennifer Lee – Inspired by “The Snow Queen” by Hans Christian Anderson
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 18, 2014

"Let it go….!"

Film Synopsis:

Fearless optimist Anna sets off on an epic journey — teaming up with rugged mountain man Kristoff and his loyal reindeer Sven — to find her sister Elsa, whose icy powers have trapped the kingdom of Arendelle in eternal winter. Encountering Everest-like conditions, mystical trolls and a hilarious snowman named Olaf, Anna and Kristoff battle the elements in a race to save the kingdom.

My Take:

I am a sucker for Disney animated films. I watched this one with my entire family which includes my 19 year old son and 21 year old daughter and we all enjoyed every minute. The spirit of Disney animated films is something that I grew up on and I find that I still respond to them in a similar way. Disney’s ability to create evocative and charming stories built around endearing characters is second to none. Inspired by Hans Chrsitian Anderson’s story “The snow queen” Frozen tells the story of princess Anna, a fearless young woman who sets off on a journey alongside a rugged, thrill-seeking mountain man named Kristoff, his loyal pet reindeer Sven, and a hapless and completely lovable snowman named Olaf, to find her estranged sister Queen Elsa, whose icy powers have inadvertently trapped their kingdom in eternal winter.

Frozen is an American Fairytale/animated musical that is reminiscent of films like The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the beast but with a contemporary flavor. This is a cute, funny and adventurous animated film that features modern themed humor, a typically heartwarming story and a cache of entertaining characters. Anna and Kristoff get the lion’s share of screen time. Watching them interact, along with the scene stealing tandem of Olaf and Sven, makes for the film’s best moments. As we have come to expect from Disney there is a variety of music set pieces featured in the story. I can’t say that all stood out for me but I really enjoyed the “Let it go” number which is beautifully arranged and performed.

The script is wonderfully balanced and offers up a little romance, drama, action and perfectly integrated humor. The beautifully crafted digital imagery lends to the entertainment value and the cast as you might expect is well placed. Kristin Bell and Jonathan Groff are splendid in the lead roles while capably strong supporting performances come from Josh Gad and Idina Menzel. Being a big kid at heart I love the adventurous escapism of fairytales and Disney has a knack for engaging storytelling and charming characters. There is always something memorable to take away from them which I am sure is something that Walt himself aspired to.

Frozen is simply lots of fun and makes for terrific family entertainment that has a little something for everyone.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild rude humor and some action/violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency effects: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Frozen comes to Blu-ray from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This is beautifully crafted digital animation that felt reminiscent of the hand drawn Disney films of yesteryear. Images are awash with lustrous and slightly oversaturated hues that are wonderfully diverse and make for visually engaging eye candy. Blues are particularly vivid with visible gradational stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to the color of their clothing, hair, eyes, or skin. The video is immaculately resolved with pristine quality and fine minutia that shows strict attention to detail. The facial features of the various characters have a smooth but lifelike quality that allows them to display a varied range of emotions. Contrast and black levels strike a great balance as whites are bright, detailed and punchy while blacks exhibit inky levels and excellent dynamic range. This is a resplendent, polished, and beautifully rendered Blu-ray presentation that looks fabulous on my large front projection display.

The soundtrack for this film is not the type that contains continued use of powerful low frequency transients or extended dynamics. Its strengths lie in its attention to detail and beautifully crafted music and the lossless DTS-HD Master Audio handles it superbly. The musical numbers, Christophe Beck’s score, and the giant snow monster sequence are the centerpieces of the mix and feature well-articulated instrumentation, smooth integration of the vocal performances and sound effects to create an involving surround experience. Dialogue is definitively authoritative with excellent clarity and room penetration through the center channel. Off camera directional cues and panning sequences are spot on which help create a believable and stable sound stage. I was impressed with the amount of subtle nuance that is clearly audible even during busier sequences. The surrounds are actively engaged either in support of the music or to handle the films associated sound effects. Room energizing low frequency effects are not used often but when present (there is serious weight to the snow giant’s footfalls) it shakes things quite nicely. I found this to be a well-balanced and pleasing surround mix that accented this wonderful animated family film.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Original theatrical short: “Get a horse” – 6 minutes

• (HD) The making of Frozen – 3 minute cast/crew musical performance

• (HD) D’Frosted: Disney’s journey from Hans Christian Anderson to Frozen – 7 minute featurette

• (HD) 4 deleted scenes with introduction by director’s Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee

• (HD) 5 music videos

• (HD) Original teaser trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Frozen is a charming, heartwarming and refreshing Disney animated film that makes for pitch perfect family entertainment. This two disc Collector’s Edition Blu-ray package from Disney features a superlative high definition viewing experience coupled with reference quality 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The supplemental features are sparse and include insights from the filmmakers, a wonderful animated short film and both a standard definition DVD of the film and Digital copy. Frozen was a hit in my house and comes highly recommended on Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
zerolimit and fredxr2d2 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 101 Old 03-10-2014, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't wait for my pre-order to come in!
post #3 of 101 Old 03-10-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Kids are digging this like crazy. Let it go.. Let it go... cool.gif
post #4 of 101 Old 03-10-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 315
looking forward to the 3D release of this on 3/31
post #5 of 101 Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM

Liked: 24
Mine on order from amazon
post #6 of 101 Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Kids are bugging me for this movie so had to pre order

Frank

post #7 of 101 Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Is there any word on the 3D version for the US? Was it really canceled?
post #8 of 101 Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Nice write-up! Really excited for this on BD and so is my wife! We also are suckers for Disney Animations old and new and we loved this at the theater! From the "Get a Horse" short to the songs and wonderfull animation done in the movie it was a lot of fun. Really excited to experience it in my own theater.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #9 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 02:50 AM

Liked: 19
Thanks for the review Ralph. Already have it on pre-order. Plan is to take grandma out to dinner then surprise her with this. She loves these types of movies. smile.gif
post #10 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 04:55 AM

Liked: 31
I collect all Disney flix..this will be no exception , I prefer Pixar but look forward to this.

Nice review King P. smile.gif
post #11 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Hopefully the UK version is identical to this. I ordered the 3D version from Amazon UK for $30 shipped(well at least with the exchange rate on the day I pre-ordered). It inlcudes the 2D BD and the 3D BD. But it isn't supposed to be released until March 31st.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #12 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I definitely want this film in my collection and have it on my 'wish list', but might try to wait it out and see if Disney decides to make a 3D version available on blu-ray here in the USA. I've read that the UK version which includes 2D and 3D blu-ray discs is actually region B, even though their website says it is region free.

Thanks for the review, Ralph! smile.gif

oz
post #13 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

I definitely want this film in my collection and have it on my 'wish list', but might try to wait it out and see if Disney decides to make a 3D version available on blu-ray here in the USA. I've read that the UK version which includes 2D and 3D blu-ray discs is actually region B, even though their website says it is region free.

That would a disappointment to a lot of folks, I'm sure. Fortunately, it's no problem for those of us whose "back-up" our discs wink.gif That has saved me on at least one occasion so far. The U.S. version of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" goes for $100 on ebay, the Region B locked U.K. version goes for about $15.
post #14 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
tsk tsk @javanpohl...
post #15 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

link to where you read that?
post #16 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 67
Hey, "Fair Use" buddy wink.gif I make a point of not selling my discs after I back them up.
post #17 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 12:06 PM

This is awesome! can't wait!
post #18 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 461
My brother and his girlfriend's kids apparently play this sound track in the car all the time driving them to Jr.High. Not sure that is my bag, but I look forward to watching this at least once. Thanks for the review!
post #19 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

That would a disappointment to a lot of folks, I'm sure. Fortunately, it's no problem for those of us whose "back-up" our discs wink.gif That has saved me on at least one occasion so far. The U.S. version of "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" goes for $100 on ebay, the Region B locked U.K. version goes for about $15.

eek.gif Really!! I picked it up off ebay two or three years ago for only $15 or $20. if they are worth that much now then I think I might be selling my copy.

EDIT: Ijust looked at my purchase history. it was $26.50 I paid in April 2012. If I can get $100 though, I have no problem selling it. I actually only just watched it a few months ago. It had been sitting on my server for a while.

I don't think I'll be waiting that long to watch Frozen though.

LED DLP

post #20 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Liked: 89
My 5 year old and 8 year old are chomping at the bit to get this, so naturally I have it pre-ordered thru Amazon. I just recently finished my media room and I'm DYING to get this in 3D for them. The kids were super bummed the other day when I informed them that they are not planning to have a 3D release here in the US. So, here's my question. I've got an OPPO BDP-103 BR player. Can I order this from overseas in 3D (from the UK) and watch it on my OPPO? I've never really researched the "region" thing with blu-ray discs so I am sort of clueless when it comes to what regions I can play and which ones I can't. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #21 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Don't remember where I read it, but if I should run across it again I'll post back with a link. Hopefully, the info that I read was wrong because I plan to make a UK 3D purchase once someone has it in their hands and confirms it to be region free. Amazon (USA) frequently has errors in their movie postings, so an overseas purchase for the 3D version would be too risky for me until we know more.

oz
post #22 of 101 Old 03-11-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Don't remember where I read it, but if I should run across it again I'll post back with a link. Hopefully, the info that I read was wrong because I plan to make a UK 3D purchase once someone has it in their hands and confirms it to be region free. Amazon (USA) frequently has errors in their movie postings, so an overseas purchase for the 3D version would be too risky for me until we know more.

For those willing to take the risk that this is "region free"

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #23 of 101 Old 03-12-2014, 04:34 AM

Why would it not be R0? have they sent you ones before that say they are, then are not compatible? Or worried its a copied/fake asian copy

post #24 of 101 Old 03-12-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Amazon UK says it's region free. It's been right in the past for me. But for me, even if it wasn't region free, I would just rip it to my servers and strip the region lock. And just watch it in 3D from my PCH A400's.

LED DLP

post #25 of 101 Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

For the normal Blu-Ray releases from Disney, the UK amazon has a 100% success rate with me when announcing them as Region Free. Disney has always been known for using region free blurays as well. I was curious because from your comment it sounded like there might be something different about the 3D disc specifically - I've never actually purchased a 3d bluray that was labeled 'region free'.
post #26 of 101 Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 AM

Liked: 15

Here is the link that I found giving information regarding the cancelation of the us 3d version and clarifying the 3d uk release for compatibility.  This if from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Playable-in-USA/forum/Fx2Q8VGFWRL8CQQ/Tx2CZOJLDO3XVZT/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00FZM8Z7I

mo949 likes this.
post #27 of 101 Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I pre-ordered off Amazon UK as well, haven't seen or read any indication that this shouldn't work on US players.

post #28 of 101 Old 03-12-2014, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I have the screener of this when it was nominated for a few awards and I can honestly say the cover art that was on the Screener was far more dramatic and my opinion far better then this fun loving cover that they did but they want kids to go mommy mommy buy this so I understand why they made the change, either way this has easily become one of my favorite Disney movies smile.gif

post #29 of 101 Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Aspect ratio is gutted from its original 2.35:1 and yet it still gets 100 points for video? Weird.
post #30 of 101 Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 PM

I watched this 2 weekends ago...my sister got a DVD from someone at her work. Too much singing for my tastes and my son and nephew - both 5 years old - lost interest about 30 mins. in. I lasted 45 mins. but came back to watch Let it Go
I talked to a co-worker who saw it in the theaters and her opinion is it's geared towards girls - not that there's anything wrong with that - and I would have to agree.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Frozen Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page