Feature running time: 104 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan, John Goodman, F. Murray Abraham, Justin Timberlaks, Garret Hedlund, Max Cassella, Ethan Phillips, Robin Bartlett
Written & Directed by: Joel Coen & Ethan Coen
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 11, 2014

"What’s on the inside matters most"

Film Synopsis:

Inside Llewyn Davis follows a week in the life of a young singer as he navigates the Greenwich Village folk scene of 1961.

My Take:

Inside Llewyn Davis chronicles a week in the life of a young folk singer as he navigates the pre Bob Dylan Greenwich Village folk scene of 1961. Guitar in tow, huddled against the unforgiving New York winter, he is struggling to make it as a musician against seemingly insurmountable obstacles-some of them of his own making. Living at the mercy of both friends and strangers, Llewyn’s misadventures take him from the baskethouses of Greenwich Village to an empty Chicago club – on an odyssey to audition for a music mogul – and back again.

I would say that in general I am a fan of the Joel & Ethan Coen’s films and own quite a few of them on Blu-ray/DVD. When I heard about this film and who was in it I was intrigued and looked forward to seeing it. The film features a number of musical set pieces performed by Oscar Isaac, Justin Timberlake and Carey Mulligan, as well as Marcus Mumford and Punch Brothers. The opening sequence featuring Oscar Isaac in a dank, smoke filled club singing and strumming his heart out was excellent to say the least. It was then followed by an unexplained altercation in an alley behind the club. The film then methodically details Llewyn’s exploits over the next week where we find that he is a struggling artist hoping for a break and a meaningful outlet to express through his music, the lingering melancholy he feels seemingly in every fiber of his being.

To THAT end Inside Llewyn Davis successfully delivers. Where it left me severely wanting was in a viable connection not only to Llewyn as the film’s protagonist but to the characters surrounding him. The narrative’s construction is such that Llewyn appears in every scene however the various subplots that revolve around his interrelationships are like shifting sands that rarely takes rewarding form. The lone exceptions are possibly his complicated and acidic relationship with Jean and his association with Mitch and Lillian’s cat Ulysses. This is clearly intentional as at every turn we see Llewyn’s inner conflict however what it’s born out of is skimmed over leaving only a series a brief snippets that prove engaging enough to glean momentary understanding from his sardonic discourse.

What’s left over is a pretty unlikable character surrounded by dimly drawn characters. What remains is the film’s musical essence which at every instance proves rewarding both in context and supporting fashion. The live vocal/musical performances by the cast are excellent and in Oscar Isaac’s case downright impressive. I truly wanted to derive more from the film’s dark humor (although there are a few laugh out loud moments), and purposeful thematic tone but all that came through was an oddly concocted character study that primarily left me scratching my head. I can’t help but feel as though a second viewing might be in order now that I have digested it but truth be told the urge simply isn’t there at the moment. We’ll see….

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language including some sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency effects: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692
  • *Low frequency extension (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Inside Llewyn Davis comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.7 Mbps.

Let me start off by saying that in my opinion this presentation appears to faithfully reflect the film’s original elements and the director’s vision. Having said that it is important to understand that the way the film was shot does not necessarily reproduce the highly polished, three dimensional, and clearly resolute imagery that is typically associated with “good” high definition. That shouldn’t be strictly construed to indicate that it doesn’t look good in high definition. I have taken this into account while trying to provide an accurate depiction of my opinion in this review.

The film was shot utilizing a visual style that gives it a distinctively monochromatic look that imbues it in beige hues that permeate the presentation. Colors are primarily limited to various stages of brown, gray, blue and sepia tones that represent the period depicted in the story. There are elements of richer color but even then saturation is noticeably held in check. Images are firmly resolved but perceivable resolution can be scene dependent due to the nature of the photography. Close ups fare better than wide angle shots and offer respectable detail and appreciable refinement. White and black levels achieve good balance so that detail/gradations are visible in brighter elements while dark sequences have a rich, delineated and dynamic quality that makes them pop. The video has a notably softened aesthetic that tends to interfere with depth but also lends the presentation an enriching filmic texture. I have seen this film many times and have never been bothered by its unique presentation actually my feelings are quite to the contrary. I think its limited use of color and texture appropriately sets the mood of the film and draws us into its elements. The fact is this Blu-ray presentation from Sony appears to accurately reproduce it and the overall result is a rewarding viewing experience.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio mix handles this predominantly front oriented soundtrack with uncompromising competence. While the bulk of the audio is reproduced by the front three channels the surrounds are used effectively to produce a rear sound field rich in immersive ambience. This isn’t an active soundtrack as dialogue and music play more of a central role but there are moments that require use of the entire surround platform for effect. When things kick in this mix has no trouble flexing its dynamic muscle or creating a natural and immersive listening environment. Clarity and detail are exemplary which reveal lots of subtle nuance in the recording. Vocal reproduction is crystalline with discernible intonation and descriptive character. The beautifully crafted music films the room and sounds incredibly smooth, airy and pleasing.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Inside – Inside Llewyn Davis – 42 minute featurette

Final Thoughts:

Inside Llewyn Davis is a moody, atmospheric drama set to the vibe of the early 1960’s folk music scene in Greenwich Village NY. While I appreciated the spirit of its intentions I simply didn’t connect with its thematic elements and was ultimately left disappointed. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures featuring what appears to be faithful video reproduction of its stylized components mated with great sounding DTS-HD Master Audio sound and a bland making of documentary. Based upon my first viewing of Inside Llewyn Davis I would be hard pressed to recommend it. A second go around might yield different results but that remains to be seen. For those so inclined I would strongly recommend a rental prior to purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi Ralph
Always enjoy your reviews and check AWS each day to see what's new.
I agree with you a l00% on your review of "Inside Llewyn Davis". My apologies to the Coen Brothers, but I found it really dull and hard
to sit through the whole movie.
I have been a big fan of the Coen Brothers since "Blood Simple". Which I think is a masterpiece, never get tired of watching it about
every other month. They were really on a roll for the first 10plus years. Don't know what the problem is, maybe they should go back to their roots and film another gritty and dark filmnoir.
They are the few folks that will get me from my home theater chair into the theater. Lets hope their next film will be another classic.
I'll always go to their new film and always look forward to it.
Again, thanks for your reviews.
Wayne Bruce
post #3 of 18 Old 03-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I missed this one at the theater due to the mixed reviews. I also generally like the Cohen Brothers' movies, and really like several of them. From reading your reviews, Ralph, you have similar tastes and takes on movies so I find your reviews the most consistent in predicting whether I will enjoy a film I have yet to see. So, this one definitely goes into the rental list just out of curiosity, but is not as high on my "see soon" list as some other films.
post #4 of 18 Old 03-11-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This one was just mailed from Amazon. I should waited a day.

Ben
post #5 of 18 Old 03-11-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler Alert: My take -- the opening scene was actually the last scene in the story, mise en scene, and the movie then goes back to start at the beginning, with Llewyn waking up in a friend's place where he sometimes crashes. We then follow him through the next few days on his musical journey and learn something about his past with his now-deceased musical partner and his relationship with Jean, his sister, his father and a stalled career. At the end we are right back where we started but with one caveat -- we're given the entire final act where a notable but unknown artist (who will become famous) is playing in the background. Llewyn is juxtaposed next to this other artist and I was left wondering: just what does it take to become successful? Why one and not the other?
I very much enjoyed this film -- a few short years after this story took place I watched John Lennon walk to the side of a stage with his hands raised over his head and the madness that followed and a couple of years after that I watched as Jimi Hendrix unleashed his talent before thousands. Maybe you had to have been there (the 1960's) to really appreciate this movie.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I actually really enjoyed this one. It's simply a week in the life of but I found myself very entertained through out.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCaniac View Post

I missed this one at the theater due to the mixed reviews. .

What mixed reviews?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inside_llewyn_davis_2013/

Haven't seen the movie yet myself...Netflix shipped it to me today.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-12-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Also IMDB. The folks that don't care for this film are really in the minority. I very much enjoyed it. John Goodman's scene in the car was pretty darn entertaining.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #9 of 18 Old 03-13-2014, 05:11 AM

So I actually really dug the movie.
But the ending really confused me. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
At first glance, it seems like it was the same exact scene from the beginning. But then there were the differences like the cat not getting out, or him singing his heart out on that last song....and I'm pretty his beatdown was even slightly different. I kind of took it represent the life of a struggling artist....and how Llewyn just keeps repeating his same mistakes....but that maybe he's slowly learning. Thoughts?
post #10 of 18 Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

So I actually really dug the movie.
But the ending really confused me. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
At first glance, it seems like it was the same exact scene from the beginning. But then there were the differences like the cat not getting out, or him singing his heart out on that last song....and I'm pretty his beatdown was even slightly different. I kind of took it represent the life of a struggling artist....and how Llewyn just keeps repeating his same mistakes....but that maybe he's slowly learning. Thoughts?

Greetings,
The opening sequence, his performance followed by the altercation in the alley, is supposed to be the same. The story is a full circle that explains what lead up to that moment. I think the scene with the cat not getting etc. aren't tied into that specifically.

I am glad you enjoyed it. As stated in my review I plan on giving it another viewing when time permits.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 18 Old 03-13-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
The opening sequence, his performance followed by the altercation in the alley, is supposed to be the same. The story is a full circle that explains what lead up to that moment. I think the scene with the cat not getting etc. aren't tied into that specifically.

I am glad you enjoyed it. As stated in my review I plan on giving it another viewing when time permits.

Regards,

Perhaps you're right and I just missed something....I need to watch it again, and I will eventually. At least I'm not alone in my initial interpretation though smile.gif
http://www.geekbinge.com/2014/01/14/inside-ending-inside-llewyn-davis/
post #12 of 18 Old 03-13-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I thought the Cohen's were able to really capture some of the feel of the early sixties in this movie and perhaps that's why I enjoyed it. In 1963 I moved with my family to Toronto and by 1964 things had exploded with the music scene. A year or two later Neil Young was living in Toronto and playing at the clubs in Yorkville and I was attending concerts featuring local and international acts. The Guess Who, who were just kids at the time (remember These Eyes and American Woman?), were regulars on CBC television playing covers and imitating the Beatles. Since then there has never been a time that involved so much social change (technological change, yes but not social change) -- musical and attitudinal. I watched as my relatively conservative parents dealt with a barrage of change. For me, Llewyn Davis represented someone who could have been a part of immense change but lacked the drive and discipline to take advantage of it and make it happen.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I thought the Cohen's were able to really capture some of the feel of the early sixties in this movie and perhaps that's why I enjoyed it. In 1963 I moved with my family to Toronto and by 1964 things had exploded with the music scene. A year or two later Neil Young was living in Toronto and playing at the clubs in Yorkville and I was attending concerts featuring local and international acts. The Guess Who, who were just kids at the time (remember These Eyes and American Woman?), were regulars on CBC television playing covers and imitating the Beatles. Since then there has never been a time that involved so much social change (technological change, yes but not social change) -- musical and attitudinal. I watched as my relatively conservative parents dealt with a barrage of change. For me, Llewyn Davis represented someone who could have been a part of immense change but lacked the drive and discipline to take advantage of it and make it happen.

Greetings,

Great post, thanks for sharing...smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 18 Old 03-14-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Regards,

Watched it again, and I agree with you.... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
everything from the Hang Me song is identical (right down to the two whistles coming from the crowd). The first time, I was so caught off guard...and being the Cohen's...I thought they were going for something much crazier.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

Watched it again, and I agree with you.... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
everything from the Hang Me song is identical (right down to the two whistles coming from the crowd). The first time, I was so caught off guard...and being the Cohen's...I thought they were going for something much crazier.

Greetings,

smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 18 Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Watched this today. Its a little like watching paint dry, but I couldn't help being reminded of Barton Fink since it has a similar feel. The cinematography is outstanding, a very unique look.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-23-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree about the cinematography, it struck me from the opening scenes, as being outstanding. I also enjoy the music and I know a few musicians and the lifestyle they represent. The music business is a tough scene. If you didn't enjoy the folk music, that often filled in nicely between the slow spots, then you might be bored to tears with the rest of this film. I enjoy the story telling style of the Cohen brothers and I enjoyed this film as well.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-24-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Watched this today. Its a little like watching paint dry, but I couldn't help being reminded of Barton Fink since it has a similar feel. The cinematography is outstanding, a very unique look.

You and me, friend. I am an ardent Coen Brothers fan, Hell, I even liked The Ladykillers. smile.gif Because of my high regard for the Coens' work, I saw Inside Llewyn Davis in the theater, despite not being much interested in the '60s New York folk music scene. As usual, I rather liked the Coen's humorous approach to depicting a despicable character, so I gave the film 7 Stars out of 10. That's not chopped liver, but I expected much more from a Coen Brothers film. Like you, I thought the film was often very slooow.

I loved Barton Fink and thought it was an example of the Coens at their quirky best. But it took me a while. Also, Barton Fink was a deliciously meanspirited but funny sendup of the slave-like conditions endured by artists and writers at the hands of heavy-handed studios in 1941 Hollywood, which really interested me. Alas, inside Llewyn Davis just didn't resonate for me.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Inside Llewyn Davis Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Inside by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page