Feature running time: 119 minutes
Genre: Action/Martial Arts

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Hiroyuki Sanada, Tadanobu Asano, Rinko Kikuchi, Ko Shibasaki
Directed by: Carl Rinsch
Music by: Ilan Eshkeri
Written by: Chris Morgan & Hossein Amini
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 1, 2014

"Seize eternity"

Film Synopsis:

Keanu Reeves stars in the action-adventure epic, 47 Ronin. After a treacherous warlord kills their master and banishes their kind, 47 leaderless samurai vow to seek vengeance and reclaim their honor. This band of ronin must seek help from Kai (Reeves)—an enslaved half-breed they once rejected—in their ultimate fight for redemption in a savage world of mythic and wondrous terrors. Kai becomes their most deadly weapon and the heroic inspiration for these outnumbered warriors to confront their enemy and seize eternity.

My Take:

47 Ronin is a fictional fantasy action/martial arts film based on the true story of the actual group of forty-seven ronin (master-less samurai) who lived in 18th-century Japan and avenged the murder of their master (stories, plays and other dramatic performances of the 47 Ronin story are commonly referred to as Chūshingura in Japan). The film’s fantastical take is set in a world of witches, magic, giants and monsters and centers around Kai, a half-breed, outcast who lives in the village of Ako, ruled by the benevolent Lord Asano Naganori. Discovered as a boy, lost in the woods Kai was taken in by Lord Naganori and raised within his domain. Kai even at a young age seemed to possess mystical powers/abilities of unknown origins. As he grows into adulthood he is used by village elders/samurai in a subservient manner and kept at arm’s length with the sole exception being Lord Naganori’s daughter Mika who sees from the inside.

Despite being rejected by Lord Naganori’s samurai due to his ancestry, Kai inherent abilities allow him to become a skilled warrior. Despite their differences in class and heritage Kai falls in love with Mika and she with him. Understanding that there is no future for them Kai has no choice but to reject Mika’s love and continue to serve Lord Naganori as he always has. That is until the arrival of the treacherous Lord Kira who with the help of his evil witch, Mizuki, has plans to supplant Lord Naganori with intentions of assuming control of Ako and claiming Mika as his bride. His actions set off a chain of events that will see a role reversal for Kai and the samurai as they seek vengeance and redemption. What transpires will echo throughout the ages…

While this all sounds like the makings of a decent story the truth is that 47 Ronin isn’t a very good film. The characters are cardboard cutouts, the action is mediocre and the attempts at drama are half baked at best. At nearly two hours there isn’t enough depth here to support such a runtime. It’s a shame really as I found the selection of the Japanese actors used in the movie to be excellent. They simply aren’t given anything substantial to work with which I am sure was disappointing given the nature of the subject matter. I really don’t mind Keanu Reeves but he isn’t much of an actor in that every character he plays feels the same. Based upon the flatness of the script here his stoic contribution wasn’t a problem. As a fan of the genre there were moments in the film that I enjoyed. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough to add up to a worthwhile viewing experience.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of violence and action, some disturbing images, and thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency effects: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element): attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373637

3D Presentation: 80

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

47 Ronin 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios HE featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This film was shot natively in 3D utilizing a mix of live action/CGI and the reproduction of the digital effects is quite good. Depth of field onscreen is appreciable as evidenced by separation of objects and/or people layered in the foreground/background which creates a discerning sense of virtual space. Dimensionality and apparent resolution is rarely questionable regardless of the cameras perspective. Low level sequences appear dynamic with excellent contrast and refined blacks. There is a distinct lack of 3D effects that reach out beyond the screen. I didn’t notice any overt instances of crosstalk or other video related anomalies. While I think that this presentation could have benefited from better use of the 3D format I don’t think that its lack thereof detracted from it.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and ambient sound effects, play an intricate role in the presentation. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the action based sequences. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I enjoyed this audio presentation but for an action based film there was little about it that left an indelible impression on me.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

47 Ronin comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps.

This film utilizes a variety of purposeful visual schemes to achieve the stylized effect based upon the directors vision. At times it has an intentionally dark and singular chromatic aesthetic and at others a brighter variant with vividly rendered color. Images predominantly lean toward darker color schemes, and grittier textures that provide the look that the filmmakers use to drive the story’s components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is good overall and revealing of visible details within dark backgrounds and low lighting. Stable contrast and deep blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is the case in all but a few instances where definition softens and doesn’t retain the same level of lucidity.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 47 Ronin 3D Blu-ray (plus bonus features – see below)

• Disc 2:

• 47 Ronin 2D Blu-ray (plus bonus features – see below)

• (HD) Keany & Kai – 4 minute featurette

• (HD) Steel & Fury: The fights of 47 Ronin – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) Myths, magic & monsters: The FX of 47 Ronin – 7 minute featurette

• (HD) Re-forging the legend – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) 4 deleted scenes

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

47 Ronin is an overlong and forgettable fantasy action/martial arts film that suffers from an underwhelming script that wastes a talented Japanese cast. It comes to home video from Universal Studios Home Entertainment in this 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack that features a lackluster but serviceable 3D video presentation, excellent high definition quality and decent DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The accompanying bonus supplements include format exclusive content that offers a peek behind the curtain along with insights from the cast/crew. Unless you’re already a fan 47 Ronin is a pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I love these type of movies, but I didn't love this movie.
post #3 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 AM

Liked: 10
I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Maybe I came in with really low expectations. haha. Anyway, when I saw the trailers, the CGI seemed really bad but when actually watching the movie in the theatre it seemed to work well.

Supporter of whatever looks and sounds good to me
post #4 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Bummer... Was really expecting a lot more from this one. rolleyes.gif Thanks for taking another one for the team, Ralph! tongue.gif
post #5 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have the 3D version on pre-order. As you can tell from my avatar I'm all about Japanese culture and mythology. Hopefully I'll enjoy this more than Ralph did. A bartender at my favorite watering hole (with a Masters in philosophy) loves everything samurai, and gave the film a thumbs up.

I'll find out for myself in a couple Tuesday's. smile.gif
post #6 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I have the 3D version on pre-order. As you can tell from my avatar I'm all about Japanese culture and mythology. Hopefully I'll enjoy this more than Ralph did. A bartender at my favorite watering hole (with a Masters in philosophy) loves everything samurai, and gave the film a thumbs up.

So that's YOUR back we're seeing? Talk about "payne!" eek.giftongue.gif

Well, amazon reviewers seem to like it (40-something percent are giving it 5 stars, if that's any indicator), pls let us know, adpayne... cool.gif
post #7 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:

Greetings,

I look forward to your thoughts... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I am so glad I went to a dollar theater to watch this movie because it was well horrible in my opinion, lacking so much in the story and just overall wasnt planned out very well but when you have an actor that has the emotional expressive capability of a penny thats not surprising lol... and its no wonder a lot of Japanese people and culturalist was very upset with this movie and what it did with its historical stories and legends, I would have been pissed too lol..

post #9 of 28 Old 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks for the write-up. I'm going to get it anyway. Maybe my low expectations will help.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #10 of 28 Old 03-20-2014, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I watched this movie at the theaters in 3D and it is POS. Like Ralph said it is a pitty as very good actors were lined up...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #11 of 28 Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Bummer... Was really expecting a lot more from this one. rolleyes.gif Thanks for taking another one for the team, Ralph! tongue.gif

I agree with Taranteacher I was also expecting something good with this film but I will pass on it. Thanks Ralph

Frank

post #12 of 28 Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have to agree with the OP. This film, though visually stunning (accept for fairly cheesy CGI, at times) falls flat. The story is non-existent and the acting is really bad and not believable. I thought the action scenes and soundtrack were okay. I don't feel like I wasted two hours of my life I'll never get back, but I wouldn't watch it again and I certainly wouldn't buy it. Enter at your own risk.

post #13 of 28 Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

So that's YOUR back we're seeing? Talk about "payne!" eek.giftongue.gif

Well, amazon reviewers seem to like it (40-something percent are giving it 5 stars, if that's any indicator), pls let us know, adpayne... cool.gif

Yep, that's my back.

Seems to be a like it or hate kind of film. I'm pretty forgiving on plot points if there is enough visual/auditory stimulus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I look forward to your thoughts... smile.gif

Regards,

Will do.
Taranteacher likes this.
post #14 of 28 Old 03-21-2014, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Hmmm! this isn't good news at all , I was hoping this one would be good, Oh well I guess I'll put it on the back burner for awhile and catch it later ,having recently watching the "Grandmaster" and "Saving General Yang" I don't want to ruin a good run!

Thanks Ralph and all for the heads up wink.gif
post #15 of 28 Old 03-21-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I'm gunna give this a rent. When I seen the previews I was really excited. Always hate hearing about plot issues tho. Still excited to view it. Thanks for the review.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #16 of 28 Old 03-22-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Zero desire to see this one. Thanks for taking one for the team Ralph!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #17 of 28 Old 03-22-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Not a problem Dave. I am sure you have taken one or two yourself.. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 28 Old 04-04-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I've seen the 3D version now.

I'm kind of at a loss for all the hate for this movie. I expected some dis-jointed mess that was hard to follow, but that wasn't the case at all. In fact, besides the magic/halfbreed themes, it seemed like a traditional Japanese story to me: Honor, revenge, respect, death etc. It was a simple story, but I still enjoyed it.

The 3D was very good, as was the picture quality and audio.

RT has it at 13% (70 reviews), while IMDB has it at 64% (45,000+ votes).

BTW, the guy with the skull/skeleton tattoos....those are all real. I saw him interviewed in a magazine a few years ago. He's only in the film for a minute though. I guess they thought he'd look good in the advertising. smile.gif
mo949 likes this.
post #19 of 28 Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Well, I've seen the 3D version now.

I'm kind of at a loss for all the hate for this movie. I expected some dis-jointed mess that was hard to follow, but that wasn't the case at all. In fact, besides the magic/halfbreed themes, it seemed like a traditional Japanese story to me: Honor, revenge, respect, death etc. It was a simple story, but I still enjoyed it.

The 3D was very good, as was the picture quality and audio.

RT has it at 13% (70 reviews), while IMDB has it at 64% (45,000+ votes).

BTW, the guy with the skull/skeleton tattoos....those are all real. I saw him interviewed in a magazine a few years ago. He's only in the film for a minute though. I guess they thought he'd look good in the advertising. smile.gif

Thanks for sharing! Now I all of a sudden so want to see this 3D! cool.gif I'll just turn the expectation notches all the way down I guess...rolleyes.gif
blueray0057 likes this.
post #20 of 28 Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Redbox rental, watching it tonight, we'll see.
79319_medium.jpg
audiofan1 likes this.

post #21 of 28 Old 04-30-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would based on some of the posts here. Looks and sounds pretty good and if the price is right, it just might find a spot on my shelf.

post #22 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would based on some of the posts here. Looks and sounds pretty good and if the price is right, it just might find a spot on my shelf.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it bguzman.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 28 Old 05-01-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I decided to buy this, will see what happens

Frank

post #24 of 28 Old 05-03-2014, 07:48 AM

Liked: 17
I just watched this last night and overall, I liked it. You usually don't see Japanese samurais and witchcraft intermixed. It had a feel of a cross between a Japanese samurai movie and a Chinese folklore fairy tale movie.

I thought the weak link for the movie was Keanu Reeves' acting or lack thereof. My wife sat down 10 minutes into the movie and after a couple minutes asked why I was watching the Matrix again. When I informed her that this was a different movie, she mentioned the guy can't act and that is why most of his roles do not have too many lines and then off to bed she went. I wholeheartedly agreed with Ralph that the Japanese actors were excellent and this could really been a great samurai movie with such a great casts.

Still Learning
post #25 of 28 Old 05-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I just watched this last night and overall, I liked it. You usually don't see Japanese samurais and witchcraft intermixed. It had a feel of a cross between a Japanese samurai movie and a Chinese folklore fairy tale movie.

I thought the weak link for the movie was Keanu Reeves' acting or lack thereof. My wife sat down 10 minutes into the movie and after a couple minutes asked why I was watching the Matrix again. When I informed her that this was a different movie, she mentioned the guy can't act and that is why most of his roles do not have too many lines and then off to bed she went. I wholeheartedly agreed with Ralph that the Japanese actors were excellent and this could really been a great samurai movie with such a great casts.

Count me in camp who enjoyed the movie.
I must admit that I am not verse of the real story/history of the 47 Ronin.
But my wife and I, enjoyed-it for what it was, an action/fantasy movie where the code of honor is what matter.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #26 of 28 Old 05-07-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Watched this the other night, It wasn't too bad. I actually enjoyed it.
audiofan1 and Taranteacher like this.

Frank

post #27 of 28 Old 05-08-2014, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in Ray and Frank. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed this one. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #28 of 28 Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I had zero expectations going into this movie and thus, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I do feel the movie was very subdued compared to what it really could have been, but considering that Hollywood has a hard time with these sorts of genre films, I felt it could have been a LOT worse.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page