The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 124 Old 05-01-2014, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar_in_Indy View Post

Umm...what's a DCP?

Digital Cinema Package, basically the digital equivalent of a film print. As opposed to watching it on Blu or with a Blu or a DVD projected on a cinema screen. And I've seen both happen sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvfx View Post

Heh, it's a crazy thought. I couldn't do it. My limit with films is usually just under 3 hours and thats pretty rare. Anything else I have to get away from the TV for hours. Most of the time I'm comfortable with just over 2 hour films. How these die hards can go at it I'll never know. Then they started digging into the extras after watching LOTR EE in one go. Unreal.

I attended a DCP of The Ten Commandments recently, and by the end, my ass was so numb. And the intermission was briefer than I thought it'd be too. By the time I got out of the bathroom, it was already done. Don't get me wrong, the wait for that boxed set is agonizing, but I sure won't we watching it all at once!
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

When my grandson flies out from Chicago to LA, the first thing he wants to do is a marathon. When it was all the Shrek movies or Matrices--not a big deal. When it was all the Resident Evil stuff, more of a big deal. When it was Harry Potter movies, that was a commitment, as was the Star Wars sextet. The LOTR EE trilogy was quite a feat, but I gotta tell ya, nothing beats a James Bond marathon. Holy crap!

The Hobbit EE trilogy will be a piece of cake. smile.gif

A James Bond Marathon would take like week, wouldn't it tongue.gif?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 Old 05-16-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Just finished watching this last night. Loved the movie. Picture looked great. Didn't get to turn it up much but what I did hear sounded good. No ULF just like everyone says.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #123 of 124 Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sounds like whatever the film's faults, the disc is a stunner.
post #124 of 124 Old 06-07-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yep. Just watched this and I thought it was awesomely entertaining. Definitely reminded me of howmuch I love these movies. LOTR are some of my favorite movies ever. And though it may not be accurate down to the letter of the book. As entertainment goes it was great. It also looked great and sounded great. My system is no slouch in the bass department , and sure ulf is fun but, I didn't really feel like I was missing anything while watching. I hope I don't ever get to the point of some of the guys on this forum. Seems like if you get so focused on finding the faults in the audio or video that you might forget to enjoy the show.

A definite recommend on this one. could it have been made better in certain respects? Sure. But it was more than good enough to provide a very satisfying home theater experience. I mean if you like the scifi/fantasy genre and this one doesn't make you happy then seems like you'll be very limited in the movies you will be satisfied with.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sony HW50ES | Denon X4000 | Rocket RS850s | Rocket RS200 | Rocket RS750s | Rocket RS250s | Quad Stereo integrity 18" d4 sealed subs | Inuke nu46000 | MiniDSP | Oppo 103D

My Build http://www.avsforum.com/t/1510721/the-bass-for-the-98-diy-build
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page