The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 448
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/3D Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 161 minutes
Genre: Fantast/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Ian McKellan, Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, James Nesbitt, Ken Stott, Orlando Bloom Evangeline Lily, Lee Pace, Benedict Cumberbatch, Luke Evans
Directed by: Peter Jackson
Music by: Howard shore
Written by: Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens, Peter Jackson , Guillermo Del Toro
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 8, 2014

"Beyond darkness…beyond desolation…lies the greatest danger of all"

Film Synopsis:

“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” continues the adventure of the title character Bilbo Baggins as he journeys with the Wizard Gandalf and thirteen Dwarves, led by Thorin Oakenshield, on an epic quest to reclaim the Lonely Mountain and the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor.

My Take:

Having survived the beginning of their unexpected journey, the Company travels East, encountering along the way skin-changer Beorn and a swarm of giant Spiders in the treacherous forest of Mirkwood. After escaping capture by the dangerous Wood-elves, the Dwarves journey to Lake-town, and finally to the Lonely Mountain itself, where they must face the greatest danger of all–a creature more terrifying than any other; one which will test not only the depth of their courage but the limits of their friendship and the wisdom of the journey itself–The Dragon Smaug.

The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug is the second chapter in Peter Jackson’s new epic trilogy set in Middle-Earth 60 years before J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings saga. Follow Bilbo Baggins as he’s swept into a quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor, long ago conquered by the dragon Smaug. Approached by the wizard Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo finds himself joining a company of thirteen dwarves led by the legendary warrior Thorin Oakenshield.

In the first installment their journey took them through treacherous lands swarming with Trolls, Goblins, Orcs and deadly Wargs. Along their route in the goblin tunnels, Bilbo met the creature Gollum who unwittingly became forever tied to by gaining possession of Gollum’s “precious” ring that holds unexpected and useful qualities, tied to the fate of all Middle-Earth. Several key talent members from The Lord of the Rings trilogy reprise their roles, along with exciting new cast members and that continues here. The film picks up where it left off with the group being actively pursued by a pack of Orcs led by Azog whose hatred for Thorin is fueled by a vengeful thirst.

Their flight leads them to several encounters beginning with Beorn, the skin-changer who provides them with shelter as well as security while in his form as a large ferocious bear that even the Orcs won’t tangle with. With Beorn’s help they make it to the borders of Mirkwood the woodland realm of the Wood-elves. There they encounter giant spiders before being rescued and imprisoned by the elves lead by King Thrainduil who has a deeper understanding of the foreboding evil that threatens Middle-Earth but whose actions remain purposefully unclear.

With Bilbo’s “stealthy” aid the Dwarves make their escape but not before another brutal exchange with the pursuing Orc pack. After being smuggled into the Lake-town of Esgaroth they find themselves in the shadow of the Lonely Mountain. With the assistance of elves Legolas and Tauriel who followed them from Mirkwood they stave off another Orc attack before heading to the base of the mountain. Their plan is to utilize the talents of their “burglar” to recover the Arkenstone out from under the sleeping dragon Smaug. In the Meanwhile Gandalf investigates the portending darkness emanating from the Dol Gudur ruins to south. What lies in wait is the culmination of his darkest fears. Upon entry to catacombs of the Lonely Mountain Bilbo finds himself face to face with the most imposing, vile and bloodthirsty villain to pose a threat to Middle-Earth in ages. How do you stop the unstoppable…?

I saw “The desolation of Smaug” in the theater with my daughter back in December and really enjoyed it. The pacing versus “An unexpected journey” was smoother and I found myself engrossed in the plot, the action and the characters both old and new. The building storyline includes snippets of humor, engaging banter and elements of drama/action as it steams toward a rewarding final act and cliffhanger that segues into the next installment. I can’t wait for what comes next and commend Peter Jackson for his attention to detail and handling of the production design/elements and well chosen cast.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, and frightening images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency effects: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 94

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The Hobbit The desolation of Smaug 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p MVC encoded 3D video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

* My comments here will be very similar to my 3D review of An unexpected journey as the presentations are essentially identical. *

I have watched a variety of 3D high definition video both animated and live action. Prior to experiencing 3D in the home environment on Blu-ray, 3D wasn’t something that appealed to me. I had always found the gimmicky nature of 3D off putting and the imagery combined with the uncomfortable glasses always seemed to give me a headache. I must admit that over the last two years I have enjoyed its implementation on Blu-ray and the better quality releases have elevated the experience. I am pleased to report that The Hobbit The desolation of Smaug is just such an example and looks terrific in 3D. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. I was drawn in by the depth and realism of the three dimensional imagery. The separation of objects and or characters layered in the foreground/background creates an involving sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. This is done to superb effect.

Shot in 3D there is an incredibly natural sense of dimension and any use of screen popping effects never feels overtly gimmicky but rather serves to enhance the storyline. Just such an example occurs just as the Dwarves enter Beorn’s compound. There are plants, trees and small buildings as well as several giant Bees hovering and flying about. At one point the Bees circumnavigate the frame flying toward the camera and seemingly out into the room. The effect is really very good. Fidelity is intact as the film’s gorgeous array of colors, defining contrast and rich blacks bring Middle-Earth to life with visually arresting results. If I had to describe the experience of watching The Hobbit The desolation of Smaug in 3D I would describe it as natural and engaging. I didn’t notice one instance of Ghosting or video related anomalies.

* My comments regarding the overall presentation especially with respect to the surround mix are identical to An unexpected journey. There were some concerns/complaints regarding filtering applied to the LFE of that presentation. That aspect will be a bit different here. *

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is reference quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems loud. I enjoyed the audio presentation in the theater and looked forward to hearing it in the familiar confines of my theater room. I was treated to an impeccably detailed, dynamic, and rewarding listening experience. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose is definable yet not overstated. The mix makes effective use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage as it reproduces the spatial and discrete sounds contained in soundtrack. The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a seamless transference during sequences involving sounds that travel through the room. Dialogue is supremely articulated with excellent focus, clarity and descriptive intonation.

Early to the middle parts of the film much of the bass response remains in the upper registers with occasional dips that engage the room. Once the third act begins, when Bilbo awakens Smaug things open up and shake quite nicely. Low frequency effects are reproduced with authority, coinciding with the recording’s excellent dynamic range resulting in room energizing bass transients that are palpable. Smaug’s footsteps, growling voice (love Benedict Cumberbatch!), bursts of flame and the rumbling/crashing of his pursuit of the “invading “ Dwarves illuminates the listening area with tactile bass response. I couldn’t say with certainty that there has been some filtering applied to the LFE channel but the lack of skin tingling infrasonic bass is notable. That shouldn’t be taken to mean that the soundtrack has anemic bass response. There is ample depth and richness to the low end however it rarely descends into the ultra low frequency realm.

It’s easy to sometimes overlook the intricacies that go into the design of soundtracks such as this. In this case even seemingly inconspicuous minutia within the recording is detectable. The end result is a terrific audio presentation that compliments the source material. Be sure to give the volume knob a couple of extra clicks, sit back and enjoy the ride.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 Mbps.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a varied color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The nature of the photography isn’t lent to high gloss imagery and razor sharpness however there is an enriching and film like quality that abounds. High definition’s increased resolution is readily apparent as textural nuance and subtle refinement is apparent, especially during close-ups. Wide angle vistas views tend to look gorgeous more often than not but can be limited by the film’s post production effects. The color range is comprised of earth tones, shades of dark blue, brown, gray and black with splashes of crimson and green/blue hues. Like the color palette fleshtones shift accordingly to coincide with the mood, lighting and scenic theme. The overall result works perfectly within the film’s narrative construct.

Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is boldly applied which empowers whites and grays with minimal loss of detail. Blacks are dynamic and gradationally revealing and shadow detail is equally discerning. The film’s deep grays, rich contrast and stimulating visual aura makes for a perfect companion to the story‘s elements. The use of CGI/green screens and photographic effects innately softens some elements but doesn’t detract in my opinion. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous noise. The result is a gorgeous high definition rendering that mimics that theatrical presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug part 1in high definition 3D (BD-50)

• Disc 2:

• The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug part 2 in high definition 3D (BD-50)

• 3D (HD) New Zealand home of Middle-Earth part 2 – 7 minute featurette

• 3D (HD) Teaser & Theatrical trailers for The Hobbit: An unexpected journey and The desolation of Smaug

• Disc 3:

• The Hobbit: An unexpected journey in high definition 2D (BD-50)

• (HD) New Zealand home of Middle-Earth part 2 – 7 minute featurette

• Disc 4:

• Special Features: (BD-25)

• (HD) 4 Video Blog segments (totaling 37 minutes) that take you behind the scenes of the pre/post production including a look a composer Howard Shore and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra.

• (HD) Peter Jackson invites you to the set – 4 segments (totaling 83 minutes) that take you behind the scenes covering the production, shooting locations, make-up, interviews with the cast/crew and more.

• (HD) 3 Theatrical Trailers + The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug preview & the trailer for The Hobbit: An unexpected journey extended edition

• (HD) 2 Video Game Trailers

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet

Final Thoughts:

The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug is the second chapter in Peter Jackson’s new epic trilogy set in Middle-Earth 60 years before J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings saga. As a fan of the LOTR film Trilogy I eagerly awaited this release and thoroughly enjoyed it, reveling in its epic scope, familiarity and Peter Jackson’s flair for storytelling. The Hobbit: The desolation of Smaug comes to Blu-ray featuring superlative and faithfully rendered high definition audio/video in both 3D and 2D flavors mated with a noticeably trim but serviceable supplemental set that will only whet the appetite of true fans. Warner Brothers Home Entertainment has delivered an excellent Blu-ray offering that xomes highly recommended for fans.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Reddig likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Thank you for the great review. Looking forward to this one (rent) and to purchase the inevitable extended cut.
nickbuol, Phrehdd and Taranteacher like this.
post #3 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I have no doubt that the disc looks and sounds sensational. However, I have no interest in this film at all after having seen it in IMAX. For me, once was enough as I found this film to be nothing but a placeholder for the third film. I read the book as a kid in the 70's and one film would have covered the whole thing, 2 at the most. Very thorough review as always Ralph!
Osirus23 likes this.
post #4 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I can't wait for this film. I found the 3D in the first Hobbit film to be great in the outdoor scenes, but not so much in the interior scenes (very dark and iirc somewhat grainy). Would you say it's the same for this release? Thanks again for the great review and this is definitely a day one purchase for me!

post #5 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Sold, I'll take two biggrin.gif

Thanks Ralph smile.gif
post #6 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I have no doubt that the disc looks and sounds sensational. However, I have no interest in this film at all after having seen it in IMAX. For me, once was enough as I found this film to be nothing but a placeholder for the third film. I read the book as a kid in the 70's and one film would have covered the whole thing, 2 at the most. Very thorough review as always Ralph!

Greetings,

I can understand that Joe. Thanks for posting your thoughts... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

I can't wait for this film. I found the 3D in the first Hobbit film to be great in the outdoor scenes, but not so much in the interior scenes (very dark and iirc somewhat grainy). Would you say it's the same for this release? Thanks again for the great review and this is definitely a day one purchase for me!

Greetings,

I didn't find that to be the case with the first presentation so I honestly couldn't say. I didn't find there to be an issue here...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll be waiting for the fall when the extended edition comes out.

XBox Live : Dash525
PSN ID : Dash525
post #9 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 64
This film blows me away. Especially seeing more of Sauron. What I've saw of Sauron in this so far was what I really expected in Lord of the Rings.

I loved how Sauron's figure glows and turns into the eye. The film was incredibly dark, I mean atmosphere. I thought it was magical and damn! Wasn't Smaug scary!

I still can't get over how awesomely dark the atmosphere was. Fantasy magic at it's best.

Legolas was a bit weird, sometimes I didn't think it was Orlando Bloom then other times he looked CGI. Evangeline Lily was fantastic as well.
post #10 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I enjoyed the review and please don't hit me on the head for saying I broke down and streamed the movie for my first view.

After watching the movie, I cancelled my Amazon pre-order of the Blu Ray (2D) and will wait for the extended cut. Does anyone know about what date the extended 2D version might be released? (one of the blessing of not having depth perception is being able to stick with 2D movies vs 3D).

Hopefully, the extended version will be blessed with 'more' of the quality of audio and video as remarked upon in the review here. - I'm excited.
normk likes this.
post #11 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I wasn't all that eager for the first one,but it ended up surprising me. This time, I actually WAS eager to see the 2nd installment, but the same held true...it surprised me again. Even with higher expectations, I really enjoyed this one and can't wait for the third. The ending was a bit abrupt, but since we already know part 3 is on the way later this year it wasn't a huge deal. Really enjoyed this!
post #12 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I noticed Vudu has it
post #13 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'm so glad you've added the bass coverage in your reviews! Really looking forward to this one!
post #14 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the review. So no Portuguese audio or subtitles, like with the 2D version, and with all of the previous LOTR Blu-rays, including the 2D and 3D versions of the previous Hobbit Blu-ray? That would be kind of strange...

My home theater gallery Epson 5010 Projector, 133" Cinemascope Screen, Klipsch RF-7
post #15 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for the review, Ralph! smile.gif

My 3D copy is due to arrive on April 8th, so I'll likely be watching it that night in 3D, then again that weekend, but in 2D. Looking forward to seeing it...

oz
post #16 of 124 Old 03-31-2014, 08:04 PM

Liked: 10
Ralph,

I bought the JVC 4910u and am enjoying 3D even though like you I thought I'd never want the gimmic.

I'm using my JVC set as it was out of the box directly to the projector. I can't think calibration could make me love the picture quality any more than I already do.

Do you up the brightness level on your Oppo during 3D movies?

Anyway, thanks for the reviews, I'm going to buy the Hobbit now!
post #17 of 124 Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thanks for the extra detail on the soundtrack. I'll be waiting for the extended edition this fall.
post #18 of 124 Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxman View Post

Thank you for the great review. Looking forward to this one (rent) and to purchase the inevitable extended cut.

Same here. Hopefully the extended edition of "Smaug" will be better than the extended edition "Journey"...
post #19 of 124 Old 04-01-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Will wait for all three movies to be available on disc. Then watch them over one marathon weekend.

-Suntan
post #20 of 124 Old 04-01-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 498
I appreciate the review Ralph, but in this case my dollars will be used as a voice for high pass filtering bass tracks. Once this disc is measured, I'll buy soley based on the results. I know that sounds crazy, but the studios have got to hear my (and others) desires as something worth listening to. If the bass is neutered, I won't be buying. Oh and just in case anyone from the studios are listening, I didn't buy the first one either for the same reason.

*ya I know, likely falling on deaf ears*
yadfgp and Reddig like this.
post #21 of 124 Old 04-01-2014, 11:41 AM

Liked: 80
I've really enjoyed my Extended Ed of Journey, so I'm really looking forward to the Ext Ed of this one...patience....paaaa....tience... ONLY if a guest is dying to see it will I Vudu it, and maybe... smile.gif

Forgot to mention I liked Desolation a lot (saw it both IMAX 3D and non-IMAX-but-large-screen-anyway 48 FPS 3D---the latter being the better) and am really hoping pt 3 will be the best of the series! cool.gif
post #22 of 124 Old 04-01-2014, 12:14 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrehdd View Post

I enjoyed the review and please don't hit me on the head for saying I broke down and streamed the movie for my first view.

After watching the movie, I cancelled my Amazon pre-order of the Blu Ray (2D) and will wait for the extended cut. Does anyone know about what date the extended 2D version might be released? (one of the blessing of not having depth perception is being able to stick with 2D movies vs 3D).

Hopefully, the extended version will be blessed with 'more' of the quality of audio and video as remarked upon in the review here. - I'm excited.
The extended editions normally come out in November a month before the new movie is in the theaters. First Hobbit movie came out early November.

XBox Live : Dash525
PSN ID : Dash525
post #23 of 124 Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

I noticed Vudu has it

Yeah, but the 3D version of it on VuDu is heavily cropped (I compared the open scene) so beware!

post #24 of 124 Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Yeah, but the 3D version of it on VuDu is heavily cropped (I compared the open scene) so beware!
I'm going to get it on Bluray disc.
post #25 of 124 Old 04-02-2014, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I noticed that you have the OPPO 103D with Darbee processing. Do you use this feature while reviewing? If so, to what setting?
post #26 of 124 Old 04-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Am I the only one who thought some of the CGI looked bad? I saw the film in 3D IMAX when it came out and found the CGi very disappointing considering its over 10 years since LOTR. The most memorable failure in my opinion is the fight scene along the river when the dwarves are in the barrels.

On another note, I will definitely buy the BluRay but I don't need the Extended Editions of these movies like I did with LOTR. The Hobbit "Trilogy," while fun, is a pale reflection of LOTR.
Daffy likes this.
post #27 of 124 Old 04-02-2014, 07:39 PM

Liked: 14

After seeing this review I'm adding this to my growing list of must have 3D blu rays for when I finish my HT :D

I still don't understand why they split Hobbit into 3 movies, profit aside. Does Peter Jackson know that most movies are 2 hours average or less and don't typically split one book into a trilogy? Maybe he didn't read the book...

post #28 of 124 Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningOrb View Post

After seeing this review I'm adding this to my growing list of must have 3D blu rays for when I finish my HT biggrin.gif

I still don't understand why they split Hobbit into 3 movies, profit aside. Does Peter Jackson know that most movies are 2 hours average or less and don't typically split one book into a trilogy? Maybe he didn't read the book...

Hubris.

Looky here!
post #29 of 124 Old 04-02-2014, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm looking forward to this! The the theatrical release of the movie here in Japan was only a month ago, February 28th. I decided to wait the extra month to get this imported from Amazon.com and watch it for the first time in the comforts of home.

The complaint that that they made one book into three movies is a little tiring because it's not true. They combined The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings appendices, Unfinished Tales, and probably some other works, into three films. A large portion of what's in the films is not in The Hobbit the book but Tolkien nonetheless wrote it. Of course the filmmakers made original additions/interpretations as well, some well justified (most of the Dwarves in the book are neither developed nor differentiated), others not (rabbit-sled). Personally I'm glad to get three fleshed-out films, but if you want to complain that it's bloated, slow, or boring, that's fine. But the complaint that they stretched one book out into three films is not valid on a factual basis.
normk, lotohnz and Taranteacher like this.
post #30 of 124 Old 04-03-2014, 10:38 AM

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

I'm looking forward to this! The the theatrical release of the movie here in Japan was only a month ago, February 28th. I decided to wait the extra month to get this imported from Amazon.com and watch it for the first time in the comforts of home.

The complaint that that they made one book into three movies is a little tiring because it's not true. They combined The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings appendices, Unfinished Tales, and probably some other works, into three films. A large portion of what's in the films is not in The Hobbit the book but Tolkien nonetheless wrote it. Of course the filmmakers made original additions/interpretations as well, some well justified (most of the Dwarves in the book are neither developed nor differentiated), others not (rabbit-sled). Personally I'm glad to get three fleshed-out films, but if you want to complain that it's bloated, slow, or boring, that's fine. But the complaint that they stretched one book out into three films is not valid on a factual basis.

Good post! My reason for waiting to get the Extended Ed of Desolation is that, in addition to improving these films (since TLOTR), we get all the extra, and truly fun, material included in the appropriately labeled appendices discs, where all of these differentiations from the works by the late Sir J.R.R. Tolkien, which you mention, are thoroughly explained and "well justified," and where, yes, we learn the giant rabbits in Unexpected Jouney are admittedly made up. It all makes for a purchase well worth the wait, unless you couldn't catch it at the movies in the first place biggrin.gif. Also, we have to remember Guillermo Del Toro had to step aside, and the idea of creating a different and, most importantly, unattached to TLOTR, version of The Hobbit, whether it was to be one film or two (or three anyways?), turned, for better or worse, into what we now have, a very carefully developed version woven into the previous extended trilogy. Moreover, we mustn't forget things from The Hobbit were already partially developed or hinted at in TLOTR.

On a side note, the afforementioned appendices discs have been added 2 per extended film, with TLOTR containing parts 1 to 6, and it's great, at least for some of us, to see Unexpected Journey Ext Ed's are correspondingly titled appendices parts 7 & 8 (2 discs as well), with parts 9 & 10 coming in Desolation Ext Ed etc. Trust me, all of that extra content is time very well spent, esp. if you're already a fan, of course! wink.gif

Although I did at first question the decision to make a trilogy, I too am now happy we're getting 3 parts...and their extended versions...plus their appendices discs...with hours of extra stuff! cool.gif
Ralph Potts and Airion like this.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page