Eastbound & Down: The complete fourth and final season (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: HBO - 2013
MPAA Rating: TV-MA
Feature running time: 240
Genre: TV/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1, Spanish DTS Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Latin, Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish
Starring: Danny McBride, Katy Mixon, Steve Little, Jillian Bell, Tim Heidecker, Elizabeth De Razzo and Ken Marino
Directed by: Jody Hill & David Gordon Green
Written by: Jody Hill, Ben Best, Danny McBride
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 13, 2014

"Get ready for Kenny’s epic journey back to the top"

Film Synopsis:

Kenny Powers is back in the fourth and final season of the outrageous HBO hit comedy series. The crass yet irresistible former major league pitcher is now swinging it in the suburbs as a married man and father of two. But a reunion with ex-teammate Guy Young, now the host of a raucous sports talk show, convinces Kenny to get back in the game. Will America’s favorite ballplayer fulfill his ultimate destiny?

My Take:

Life has thrown a lot of curve balls to washed-up former major-league pitching ace Kenny Powers. After a disgraceful return to his hometown, a failed attempt at coaching, a soul-searching season in Mexico, a successful return to the minor leagues and a not-so-successful attempt at single fatherhood, Kenny finally hung up his cap to become a full-time family man. But can he ever truly say goodbye to the fame and fortune afforded by his baseball career?

The final season of the hit HBO comedy series finds Kenny (Danny McBride) struggling with his identity after fleeing his successful comeback to the minors by faking his own death and returning home to the love of his life, April, and their son Toby. Years later, Kenny is settled quietly into family life in North Carolina, working as an assistant manager at a car rental outlet, trying to piece together a screenplay about his life story and numbing the yearning to return to the vices of his glory days with boring couples' nights and bland dinner parties. But when a former teammate turns up with an opportunity for Kenny to get back in the game as a celebrity commentator - and to live the rich, famous lifestyle he deserves - Kenny begins to wonder whether the time is right for a comeback of a different sort.

Over the course of four seasons, Eastbound & Down has followed the comedic antics of the clueless, washed-up baseball legend Kenny Powers (Danny McBride), who enjoyed the fame and fortune afforded by his career, even if he was his own worst enemy throughout. I am not especially a fan of Danny McBride’s humorous folly as I find it overtly crass and fatiguing. When Eastbound & down the complete fourth and final season arrived on my doorstep for review I figured I would give it its due. While it didn’t present any surprises in terms of it’s over the top situational humor and crass approach I found the show to be pretty entertaining especially if kept in the proper perspective.

Kenny Powers is a pretty unlikeable character but McBride’s plays him with an oafish charm countered by his contemptibly impulsive behavior that makes you root for him but more on a subconscious level. There is plenty of requisite vulgarity some clearly added as window dressing and some that is neatly folded into the show’s purposefully innate framework. There are laugh out loud gags, plenty of eyebrow raising political incorrectness and a few moments intended to warm the heart, all executed with varying levels of effectiveness. In addition to McBride, I enjoyed the performances by the supporting members of the cast, Katy Mixon, Ken Marino, Steve Little and Elizabeth De Razzo.

I am sure that fans of the series are disappointed in its cancellation. Luckily it will live on via home video etc. and allow them to revel in its infusion of off handed situations, quirky characters and risqué humor.

Eastbound & down the complete fourth and final season’s eight 30 minute episodes is presented on Blu-ray in a two disc set (BD-50 dual layered discs) with the bulk of the bonus content found on disc 2. It comes housed in a standard amaray style case with slipcover.

Parental Guide:

The show contains mature themes, sexual content, brief nudity and pervasive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency effects: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Eastbound & down the complete fourth and final season comes to Blu-ray Disc from HBO Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

This is a great looking high definition presentation from HBO. Detail is exemplary as images look clean, sharp, three dimensional and lifelike. I never felt that the video was lacking in terms of depth or the perception of visible details within objects and/or people onscreen. Colors are cleanly reproduced with eye catching primaries and pleasing secondary hues. Fleshtones appear natural with complexional variation and subtle texture that varies among the differing skin types of the cast members. Blacks are gradational, fairly deep and exhibit appreciable dynamic range. This is a pristine high definition presentation that appears free of video related artifacts.

The lossless soundtrack doesn’t consistently engage the entire surround platform however it has moments where it energizes the room and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is conveyed with little fanfare. However there are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. This soundtrack isn’t demonstration worthy but for a TV comedy it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn’t leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• Season 3 Recap

• (HD) Deleted scenes – 23 minutes

• (HD) Blooper reel – 11 minutes

• Cast/crew audio commentaries on all eight episodes

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Kenny Powers is back in the fourth and final season of Eastbound & down the outrageous HBO hit comedy series that features star Danny McBride as the clueless, washed-up baseball legend, who consistently finds ways to shoot himself in the foot. It comes to Blu-ray from HBO Home Entertainment featuring solid high definition audio/video and light supplemental package that will leave fans wanting. Eastbound & down the complete fourth and final season should have a place in the Blu-ray collections of those that enjoy the series.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
One of the greatest shows ever made, absolutely ridiculous in every way, and Kenny Powers is a character for the ages.

My gf hated it at first, but once she "got it", she watched the entire show, seasons 1-4, without me and fell in love it.

Boom
post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 120
There have been times when I found the show to be hit or miss, so I think Ralph's review is very fair and accurate...but oddly enough, when it was all over I found myself feeling as if I'd lost a good friend. I don't mean that to sound as pathetic as is probably does, but I'm sure some of you know what I mean. Sort of the opposite of how I felt when Dexter was over rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 4 Old 05-06-2014, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28

Perfectly horrible characters brilliantly created, sometimes disturbingly believable, maybe what makes them so likable is that they are generally honest. The ultimate narcisist with the ultimate sycopant. If McBride is not like this in real life then he is a real talent.

Yamaha RX V-475

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2   Speakers

Monitor Audio Bronze BX     Centre

Monitor Audio Bronze BRFX Rears

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page