Feature running time: 100 minutes
Genre: Romantic comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Michael Ealy, Joy Bryant, Kevin Hart, Regina Hall, Christopher McDonald, Paula Patton
Directed by: Steve Pink
Music by: Marcus Miller
Written by: Leslye Headland
Region Code: A,B

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 20, 2014

"It’s about compromise. It’s about love. It’s about a good wingman"

Film Synopsis:

Follow two couples as they journey from the bar to the bedroom and are eventually put to the test in the real world.

My Take:

Kevin Hart, Michael Ealy, Regina Hall and Joy Bryant star in this hilarious romantic comedy about what men and women really want. Bernie (Hart) and Joan (Hall) are two fiery flirters who are passionate about everything from hookups to breakups. When he sets up his best friend, Danny (Ealy), with her roommate, Debbie (Bryant), the sparks soon fly as they try to navigate the relationship minefields from the bar to the bedroom.

About last night is based on the 1974 David Mamet play “Sexual diversity in Chicago” and is the second motion adaptation. The first was released in 1986 and starred Rob Lowe and Demi Moore. Penned by Leslye Headland this film similarly tells the story of four singles that become two couples (let’s say couples A & B) and has a more comedic aspect that revolves around couple B played by Kevin Hart and Regina Hall. Couple A played by Michael Ealy and Joy Bryant get the lion’s share of the plot which is where the real meat of the romance drama comes in. About last night is a paint by the numbers romantic comedy that does a nice job of balancing the ingredients necessary to make it entertaining. The primary characters are fleshed out nicely and share excellent chemistry onscreen. There is the requisite relationship melodrama which has a beginning, middle and end that adheres to the same formula that genre fans expect. What helps to keep things from getting too heavy is the comic relief provided by Kevin Hart and Regina Hall who make the most of out their moments onscreen especially when together.

The only real blemish in the film is the inclusion of an unsavory ex-girlfriend character played by Paula Patton. The interjected part seemed to be tossed in and Patton, who I find does not do well in comedic roles, didn’t help matters. Other than that my wife and I found About last night to be an enjoyable watch. It won’t supplant the original film (which did receive a nod) as a classic but it’s a contemporary take that’s fun and easy to relate to.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content, language and brief drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency effects: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element): NA

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

About last night comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

This is a high quality video presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appear better resolved than others although I suspect this is related to the photography. Contrast is dynamic without being overpowering and blacks are respectable in depth with discernible detail visible in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was top notch.

The lossless audio presentation is solid and renders the source elements with excellent clarity and punchy dynamics. Dialogue and front channel imaging is delivered with rich tonal variation and crystal clarity. The surrounds are active at times and are used to good effect for panning effects and music related ambience. The mix isn’t aggressive but does create an enjoyable surround sound experience that mates well with the thematic tone of the film.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) An un-romantic comedy – 14 minute featurette

• (HD) About last night advice – 4 minute featurette

• (HD) I Love You? – 5 minute featurette

• (HD) Word on the street – 9 minute featurette

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the David Mamet play “Sexual diversity in Chicago” About last night is an entertaining romantic comedy that is equal parts romance and comedy. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring beautiful high definition video, crystal clear lossless sound quality and an apropos supplemental offering that adds to the fun. This one is well worth checking out for genre fans and comes recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-04-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
My wife and I saw this in the theaters and really loved it. We only go to the movies for character-driven movies these days, since the action flicks are just better at home (an experience most avs-ers can relate to). We were both dismayed at Paula Patton's unwarranted appearance (I didnt even recognize her at first) but this was a good movie overall. Sometimes its cool to go to a theater and not analyze their surround setup for a change.

I'll also note that the movie falls victim to some cross-casting with a couple other movies being released this year, which was off putting for reasons we cant quite a finger on.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-08-2014, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Ralph,
Sorry to say this time we don't agree with you (and your wife). This is just another of those cheesy black comedy love stories, where unlikely people hook up against their friends advise than (of course) break up and eventually come back together. We have seen it too many times and one wonders, whose is writing these same old/same old stories. Here a 1 out of 5 stars.
Every other review here is spot on. This time I (we) have to disagree 100%.
Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by boguspomp View Post

Ralph,
Sorry to say this time we don't agree with you (and your wife). This is just another of those cheesy black comedy love stories, where unlikely people hook up against their friends advise than (of course) break up and eventually come back together. We have seen it too many times and one wonders, whose is writing these same old/same old stories. Here a 1 out of 5 stars.
Every other review here is spot on. This time I (we) have to disagree 100%.
Cheers

Greetings,

Thanks for offering your thoughts on this one boguspomp and no worries about disagreeing. I can fully appreciate your perspective...smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page