AVSForum Blu-ray Spotlight: Ralph's picks for Room Shaking Bass - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #151 of 177 Old 05-16-2014, 10:22 PM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

I'm watching the latest Rambo right now and I forgot how much good bass is this movie. Holy crap. This one should be on the list for sure.

I forgot about the latest Rambo that was a good one too.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 177 Old 05-17-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Another vote for HTTYD

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #153 of 177 Old 05-21-2014, 01:36 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

It's worth mentioning that there is a thread dedicated to LFE in movies here at AVS. There's a ton of movies, ranked from 5 star on down:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts

Thanks mate for the link

Frank
post #154 of 177 Old 05-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post

I'm watching the latest Rambo right now and I forgot how much good bass is this movie. Holy crap. This one should be on the list for sure.

I love the new Rambo movie! Great flick with Sly just destroying dudes left and right!

post #155 of 177 Old 05-22-2014, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Pacific Rim, holy crap!

post #156 of 177 Old 05-22-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Tron Legacy is a must and glad its on the list.
post #157 of 177 Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 PM
CIH USER

I watched Battle Los Angeles last night that rocked the house.
Djoel likes this.

Frank
post #158 of 177 Old 05-23-2014, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Smart to do something like this since it's most likely in the top 5 questions on any site/forum in the history of the internet!
post #159 of 177 Old 05-24-2014, 09:28 AM

Liked: 11
Tron Legacy and U-571 always get me in trouble with my neighbor.
post #160 of 177 Old 05-26-2014, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hello, I am new here to the forum, lot of good info here.

Didn't realize how many HTR peeps were into and think about the same things I do.  This list of system rocking Blu-ray's is quite nice, with the exception of a couple I've seen pretty much all of them.  I recenlty swapped out an older Onkyo tx-sr502 with a budget Yamaha rx-v375 that was on closeout at BB, has totally changed my HTR.  I can't believe how the dynamics of how it sounds now as compared to what it was. No complaints about the Onkyo, but it was an older rec'r and I just wanted something w/ HDMI to handle the HD audio that it coudln't handle.  I also found out about the Dolby TrueHD codec DNR problems that was causing issues with the Onkyo, I just thought it was just plain sucky audio, but that's not the case now that I have the settings correct in the Yamaha.  

I've been watching my Blu Rays again and wow, what a difference, movies sound like movies now !  Don't have Dredd, never watched it, but I'm curious now, so if anyone can chime in about it, I'm all ears.

So here's a few of mine that just simply shake the house and I'm downstairs in the corner. :)

Unstoppable - Just watched this again last night, couldn't believe what I was missing.  It's pretty much train thumping surround and LFE non stop.  (thought I was gonna get yelled at by significant other in the house).  This has def made my top 5 list of surround sound movies.

Star Trek Into Darkness -  As some previous posters have stated, the opening scene alone with the Volcano is worth it on it's own.

Tron Legacy - Need I say more

Thor 1/2 - So many good moments in both, the Frost Giant battle in 1, the Dark Elf invasion of Asgard in 2.

Oblivion - Didn't like this at first, but re watched recenlty w/ new setup, I've changed my mind

Green Lantern - The battle towards the end between Green Lantern and Paralax is a good one.

The Matrix movies - Any will do.

Saving Private Ryan - No, not on the bandwagon, this is just what it is with audiophiles.

I will also ditto U571, I don't have this movie any more, but I distinctly remember the depth charge scene on DTS from the DVD, I thought I was gonna get arrested.  Can only imagine what it sounds like now.  There are so many more I could list.

Deckard97 likes this.
post #161 of 177 Old 05-26-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Defects View Post

Hello, I am new here to the forum, lot of good info here.

Didn't realize how many HTR peeps were into and think about the same things I do.  This list of system rocking Blu-ray's is quite nice, with the exception of a couple I've seen pretty much all of them.  I recenlty swapped out an older Onkyo tx-sr502 with a budget Yamaha rx-v375 that was on closeout at BB, has totally changed my HTR.  I can't believe how the dynamics of how it sounds now as compared to what it was. No complaints about the Onkyo, but it was an older rec'r and I just wanted something w/ HDMI to handle the HD audio that it coudln't handle.  I also found out about the Dolby TrueHD codec DNR problems that was causing issues with the Onkyo, I just thought it was just plain sucky audio, but that's not the case now that I have the settings correct in the Yamaha.  

I've been watching my Blu Rays again and wow, what a difference, movies sound like movies now !  Don't have Dredd, never watched it, but I'm curious now, so if anyone can chime in about it, I'm all ears.

So here's a few of mine that just simply shake the house and I'm downstairs in the corner. smile.gif

Unstoppable - Just watched this again last night, couldn't believe what I was missing.  It's pretty much train thumping surround and LFE non stop.  (thought I was gonna get yelled at by significant other in the house).  This has def made my top 5 list of surround sound movies.

Star Trek Into Darkness -  As some previous posters have stated, the opening scene alone with the Volcano is worth it on it's own.

Tron Legacy - Need I say more

Thor 1/2 - So many good moments in both, the Frost Giant battle in 1, the Dark Elf invasion of Asgard in 2.

Oblivion - Didn't like this at first, but re watched recenlty w/ new setup, I've changed my mind

Green Lantern - The battle towards the end between Green Lantern and Paralax is a good one.

The Matrix movies - Any will do.

Saving Private Ryan - No, not on the bandwagon, this is just what it is with audiophiles.

I will also ditto U571, I don't have this movie any more, but I distinctly remember the depth charge scene on DTS from the DVD, I thought I was gonna get arrested.  Can only imagine what it sounds like now.  There are so many more I could list.

Greetings,

Welcome to AVS! smile.gif

Thanks for your post and for sharing your thoughts. Regarding your query about Dredd, here is my official review:

Dredd 3D Blu-ray Review

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #162 of 177 Old 05-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Those are all great titles..!

Has anyone mentioned Game of Thrones season 2 episode 9? ( Don't read any further if you have not watched season 2. wink.gif

The 2nd season finale when Tyrion sets the water ablaze with his single boat, loaded with wildfire....the dynamics of the bass was incredible. Awesome demo scene....
post #163 of 177 Old 05-28-2014, 09:24 AM

Liked: 30
I agree with this entire list and just want to add that Transporter 2 in DVD also is impressive sonically as well. I don't own the BD version. The movie that comes to mind as "I wasn't expecting this move to sound like this" when I first watched is Percy Jackson The Lightening Thief. The lightening of Zeus and the Hydra footsteps are outstanding.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #164 of 177 Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 AM

i didnt see Star Wars Ep 2. in there. the first part where the transporter is landing is LFE heaven and the fight with Yoda and Count Dooku has alot of depth as well.

i absolutely agree with Transformers (Ironside Flip)

The Fifth Element (Opera Scene)

theres many more listed that i agree with

Ralph Potts likes this.
post #165 of 177 Old 05-30-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I love seeing Tron on this list. I think I have watch Tron more in my home theater then any other movie in the past 3 years. The sound, the visuals and the story (as an IT guy) for me makes it one of the best movies created in years. I don't get why it didn't receive very good reviews because its a damn amazing movie in my home theater.
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #166 of 177 Old 05-31-2014, 02:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by tleavit View Post

I love seeing Tron on this list. I think I have watch Tron more in my home theater then any other movie in the past 3 years. The sound, the visuals and the story (as an IT guy) for me makes it one of the best movies created in years. I don't get why it didn't receive very good reviews because its a damn amazing movie in my home theater.

Indeed! Tron has an energy about it that's hard to find in a movie, it transfixes you once it starts with incredible visuals and a surround mix & music score that doesn't let go, its pure cinema synergy. I do recommend Oblivion if you haven't seen it as has many of the same elements plus a few of its own to boot wink.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #167 of 177 Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 100
One of my "go to" scenes is the train crash scene in "Super 8". Lots of LFE combined with dizzying surround effects when the rail cars fly make my guests duck their heads.

post #168 of 177 Old 05-31-2014, 10:00 AM

OMG !  

That mix is incredible.  I remember watching Super 8 a while back and not liking it very much, now I'm gonna have try it again on my new setup just for kicks.

Since I've installed my new Yamaha rec'r, the new audio has totally changed the dynamics of the experience of my HTR, that's w/ regular DVD and Blu-ray's.  I've been eyeballing possibly getting a new sub, looking at SVS's, but my 10yr old Velodyne still works great and I'm getting snarls and aggravated looks from peeps in my house, so I know something is right.

I watched Flight of the Pheonix (the newer one) last night and it was great, the plane scenes all through out that movie were incredibly bass whooping, the dust storm scene in the beginning was awesome.

I also got to digging around some of my DVD's for calibrations and I pretty much forgot how great JP3 was on DTS, funny when I was playing/testing w/ the plane crash and dinosaur fight scenes, my boxer dogs came running down to check what was going on, think they thought there were bears in the house.  I don't think it sounded this good back then on my older setups, the thumps and thuds from the dinosaurs foosteps and running was incredible, gonna just have to watch it all again soon.  

Also fiddled w/ Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest dvd, especially like the Cracken scene, lots of bass in that if only for a short time.  The bass thumping of Davie Jone's walking around in that movie is pretty cool to.

post #169 of 177 Old 06-01-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 510
The only thing I will add is that I hope the list keeps growing wink.gif
post #170 of 177 Old 06-02-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The movie "The Haunting" with Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Owen Wilson circa 1999 very good movie, it has major wall rattling bass, I use it as a demo disc unfortunately it has never made it to Blue Ray only DVD, I can only imagine what it would be like in DTS MA.
post #171 of 177 Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socio View Post

The movie "The Haunting" with Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Owen Wilson circa 1999 very good movie, it has major wall rattling bass, I use it as a demo disc unfortunately it has never made it to Blue Ray only DVD, I can only imagine what it would be like in DTS MA.

absolutely agree, i really have had to pick my time of day to play this over the years and moreso now since i have a HSU since i rent. Also, don't forget about THX Titan A.E. / Ice crystal Scene in particular. Not sure if it's on BD, if it is I can't imagine how much better it really is. I think on the my Anthem it decoded 96/24 DTS.
post #172 of 177 Old 06-09-2014, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Ralph, just noticed, you misspelled Percy Jackson and the LightEning thief...

Cheers
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #173 of 177 Old 06-09-2014, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

Ralph, just noticed, you misspelled Percy Jackson and the LightEning thief...

Cheers

Greetings,

Great catch McStyvie. All set now, thanks! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #174 of 177 Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Sticky is back..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #175 of 177 Old 06-17-2014, 06:03 AM

Liked: 28
add lone survivor to your list guys. While it's not low rumbling, the explosions are great for testing tight punchy bass.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Vizio m55
Yamaha v475
Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0, BIC F12
PS4, AppleTV, DirecTV
post #176 of 177 Old 08-19-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The early Pixar titles like The Incredibles, Toy Story 2 etc. got aggressive mix which we seldom get to see these days.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #177 of 177 Old 08-20-2014, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
The early Pixar titles like The Incredibles, Toy Story 2 etc. got aggressive mix which we seldom get to see these days.

Greetings,

I agree, especially The Incredibles (which I included)...

Regards,
lgans316 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page