AVSForum Blu-ray Spotlight: Ralph's picks for Room Shaking Bass - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes
post #181 of 237 Old 11-24-2014, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Here's one. The beginning of The Edge of Tomorrow knocked a picture off my wall before I could turn the volume down. A few stats from another user on Data-Bass forum
Edge of Tomorrow (7.1 DTS-HD MA)
Level - (113.59dB composite)
Extension - (9Hz)
Dynamics - (27.61dB)

Last edited by voodoo2crue; 11-24-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 237 Old 11-24-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Love this topic, lots of good demo that I have forget over time

Ray
post #183 of 237 Old 11-26-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo2crue View Post
Here's one. The beginning of The Edge of Tomorrow knocked a picture off my wall before I could turn the volume down. A few stats from another user on Data-Bass forum
Edge of Tomorrow (7.1 DTS-HD MA)
Level - (113.59dB composite)
Extension - (9Hz)
Dynamics - (27.61dB)

I just rented it today from Redbox. I know what I'll be doing tonight! I cannot wait for the opening scene. I will test my dual Fathom F113's for sure!
post #184 of 237 Old 11-26-2014, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I just rented it today from Redbox. I know what I'll be doing tonight! I cannot wait for the opening scene. I will test my dual Fathom F113's for sure!
Not to dampen your spirits, but there's a thread on the forum that dealt with the audio tracks on blu-rays from Redbox and how they're downgraded.
"NetFlix RedBox BD's Without DTS-HD Master Audio / DD 5.1 Instead"

Just don't want you to think there's a problem with your F113's.

post #185 of 237 Old 11-26-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post
Not to dampen your spirits, but there's a thread on the forum that dealt with the audio tracks on blu-rays from Redbox and how they're downgraded.

Copy that, thanks for the reminder. It is Lionsgate IIRC that does that to it's discs? Just for the record, I have started the disc and it is indeed DTS-HD Master Audio. The opening sequence wow! I can confirm there is no issue with the Fathom's. I have to say that was some serious low end.
Franin and voodoo2crue like this.

Last edited by Sharp1080; 11-26-2014 at 09:21 PM.
post #186 of 237 Old 11-27-2014, 04:52 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer_Elte View Post

Only ones that do this that I have seen are select Lionsgate titles and their subsidiary company Summit so the majority of rentals will still have lossless audio. EoT DOES have the lossless track which I can confirm as well as I rented from Netflix.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #187 of 237 Old 11-28-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Only ones that do this that I have seen are select Lionsgate titles and their subsidiary company Summit so the majority of rentals will still have lossless audio. EoT DOES have the lossless track which I can confirm as well as I rented from Netflix.
Greetings,

Thanks for adding this info Todd...

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #188 of 237 Old 11-29-2014, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Copy that, thanks for the reminder. It is Lionsgate IIRC that does that to it's discs? Just for the record, I have started the disc and it is indeed DTS-HD Master Audio. The opening sequence wow! I can confirm there is no issue with the Fathom's. I have to say that was some serious low end.
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I ended up buying the blu-ray while I was out yesterday for $6 (well past the rush @ 6pm) which is definitely not a bad price to pay to shake the room.

post #189 of 237 Old 02-01-2015, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ralph, Please Add "Fury" to your Pick of Room Shaking Bass

In HomeTheater enviroment Fury Shines! With 2-Hsu VTF2-Mk4 and 2-Aura BassShakers let you feel as well as see the emotion of the frighteningly well-done battle scenes. The SubBass impact was impressive. Rumbling Tanks, nearby and distant artillery impacts. Must be well into the sub-20hz range.

Last edited by sgibson; 02-01-2015 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #190 of 237 Old 02-17-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Figured I'd try to reignite this thread a bit and suggest a movie. I was cruising through Netflix and came across the Halo online movie thing they did a few years ago called Forward Unto Dawn. My GOD. First off if you've ever played the games this flick a lot of fun because its extremely relevant but its not essential to have played them. The bass on the DD+ soundtrack that Netflix streamed was outstanding. everything from gunshots to explosions to engines revving, the whole nine yards. The BD is less than $10 bucks on amazon and has a DTS-HD track. has anyone else seen this?
Ralph Potts likes this.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3
post #191 of 237 Old 02-17-2015, 05:39 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
Figured I'd try to reignite this thread a bit and suggest a movie. I was cruising through Netflix and came across the Halo online movie thing they did a few years ago called Forward Unto Dawn. My GOD. First off if you've ever played the games this flick a lot of fun because its extremely relevant but its not essential to have played them. The bass on the DD+ soundtrack that Netflix streamed was outstanding. everything from gunshots to explosions to engines revving, the whole nine yards. The BD is less than $10 bucks on amazon and has a DTS-HD track. has anyone else seen this?

Yes and agreed! Some fantastic LFE in this one! A few more great bass movies that flew under the radar are Ragnarok and Alien Abduction.....both have great unfiltered and hard hitting LFE tracks (subjectively).

post #192 of 237 Old 02-18-2015, 06:13 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Yes and agreed! Some fantastic LFE in this one! A few more great bass movies that flew under the radar are Ragnarok and Alien Abduction.....both have great unfiltered and hard hitting LFE tracks (subjectively).

How was the movie Alien abduction Todd?

Frank

Frank
post #193 of 237 Old 02-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
How was the movie Alien abduction Todd?

Frank

I thought it was a lot of fun in the HT, especially with the big sound. It's a found footage shaky cam type film though, so it won't be for everyone. I would suggest a rent and see what you think.

post #194 of 237 Old 02-18-2015, 06:25 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
I thought it was a lot of fun in the HT, especially with the big sound. It's a found footage shaky cam type film though, so it won't be for everyone. I would suggest a rent and see what you think.

I actually don't mind movies with the shaky cam.

Frank

Frank
post #195 of 237 Old 02-19-2015, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Quote:
Greetings,

Awesome stuff guys! I will be sure to seek these out..

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #196 of 237 Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is it just me or does anybody else find it difficult to watch any movies that don't have substantial bass? Munich is coming out on BR and I love that movie but all I can think about is that big explosion that occurs halfway through and how great it will sound on bluray. So much so that I'm probably gonna be fidgety the first hour watching because I'll be fighting the urge to skip to that chapter as soon as I pop in the disc. Have I become a bass addict?
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #197 of 237 Old 02-19-2015, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
Is it just me or does anybody else find it difficult to watch any movies that don't have substantial bass? Munich is coming out on BR and I love that movie but all I can think about is that big explosion that occurs halfway through and how great it will sound on bluray. So much so that I'm probably gonna be fidgety the first hour watching because I'll be fighting the urge to skip to that chapter as soon as I pop in the disc. Have I become a bass addict?
Greetings,

I think so Dan! I actually received Munich last week but haven't gotten around to it yet. Now I will be thinking the same thing...

Regards,
Yosemite Dan likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #198 of 237 Old 02-19-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I think so Dan! I actually received Munich last week but haven't gotten around to it yet. Now I will be thinking the same thing...

Regards,
Do me a favor Ralph. When you do your review, please mention whether that specific scene makes it into the LFE hall of fame. I remember it blowing me away on the DVD and that was long before I upgraded my system. Just the eerie quiet of the scene right before it occurs made it that much more effective. If its filtered, I'll be one unhappy camper.
post #199 of 237 Old 02-19-2015, 03:23 PM

I feel the same way about movies that lack bass. I was watching my BD of first blood part II a few days ago and had a hard time watching it because I was so disappointed with the sound.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
PS3
post #200 of 237 Old 02-19-2015, 06:10 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I feel the same way about movies that lack bass. I was watching my BD of first blood part II a few days ago and had a hard time watching it because I was so disappointed with the sound.
Just put in the extended edition of part 4 and you will feel better! I just re-watched part 4 last weekend and damn that is a great audio track! No lack of bass in that one. I agree though that 1, 2 and 3 really show their age in comparison to part 4 as far as audio/bass goes, but I love all the Rambo movies!

post #201 of 237 Old 02-19-2015, 06:31 PM

Its even getting to the point where its hard to watch action movies that are 10-15 years old because the most modern soundtracks sound decidedly better than movies made just a decade ago. I rewatched Minority Report the other day and was a bit put off by the AQ. The bass even in the best parts lacked that tactile feel and rolling bass waves you feel with the newer movies. Even the higher frequencies lack fullness and sounded a little shrill in comparison to newer movies. The bass also had this flatness to it and lacked definition than what I'm used to now. There are some exceptions like War of the Worlds and Saving Private Ryan. I wonder if 10 years from now I'll be saying the same things about movies made the last few years because of advancements they make in soundtracks in the future. I guess I should put off getting that Atmos enabled receiver as it might ruin my current BR collection.
post #202 of 237 Old 02-20-2015, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post
Do me a favor Ralph. When you do your review, please mention whether that specific scene makes it into the LFE hall of fame. I remember it blowing me away on the DVD and that was long before I upgraded my system. Just the eerie quiet of the scene right before it occurs made it that much more effective. If its filtered, I'll be one unhappy camper.
Will do Dan...

Quote:
Quote:
Just put in the extended edition of part 4 and you will feel better! I just re-watched part 4 last weekend and damn that is a great audio track! No lack of bass in that one. I agree though that 1, 2 and 3 really show their age in comparison to part 4 as far as audio/bass goes, but I love all the Rambo movies!
I agree. Rambo (part 4) has a kick a$$ soundtrack. Lacking or not I still enjoy watching the First Blood Series..

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #203 of 237 Old 02-21-2015, 11:23 AM

Has anyone else here mentioned the new 300 movie? Literally as soon as the opening scene resolves the room is just lambasted with serious bass, and it doesn't really stop.

On the topic of older movies not having real ample soundtracks. As I was perusing my BD collection i was looking at movies that were around 10-15 years old and a lot of them i remember have some great bass in the soundtracks. Fight Club and the Bourne movies come to mind immediately. Also the Lord of the Rings and Terminator 2 & 3.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
PS3
post #204 of 237 Old 02-22-2015, 01:58 PM

An update on my previous post about Forward Unto Dawn. I got the BD of it in the mail on Thursday and just popped it in. I don't think I've ever heard such a stark difference in the audio quality between the lossy DD+ from Netflix. The DTS HD track on this is relentless. Ralph, you gotta pick it up.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
PS3
post #205 of 237 Old 02-22-2015, 07:35 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
An update on my previous post about Forward Unto Dawn. I got the BD of it in the mail on Thursday and just popped it in. I don't think I've ever heard such a stark difference in the audio quality between the lossy DD+ from Netflix. The DTS HD track on this is relentless. Ralph, you gotta pick it up.
Did you volume match? Chances are they are the same mix, just at different volume levels which is making the DTS-MA track seem so much better.

post #206 of 237 Old 02-23-2015, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Greetings,

I have put it on my list of must haves...

Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #207 of 237 Old 02-23-2015, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Did you volume match? Chances are they are the same mix, just at different volume levels which is making the DTS-MA track seem so much better.
The DTS track on the BD is definitely mixed hotter than the DD+ track streamed by Netflix. But I'm sure I heard some deep bass parts that were either filtered or compressed out in order to stream it. I only watched certain parts when I put the BD in so I can't speak for the whole disk.

Ralph,can let us know what you think if you pick this up?
post #208 of 237 Old 02-23-2015, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
The DTS track on the BD is definitely mixed hotter than the DD+ track streamed by Netflix. But I'm sure I heard some deep bass parts that were either filtered or compressed out in order to stream it. I only watched certain parts when I put the BD in so I can't speak for the whole disk.

Greetings,

Order placed. I will post back once I have received it and given it a spin..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #209 of 237 Old 02-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Interesting! I will check out the blu since I have only heard the lossy DD track on the DVD since NF did not have the blu for rent.

post #210 of 237 Old 03-06-2015, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Order placed. I will post back once I have received it and given it a spin..

Regards,
Greetings,

I watched Halo: Forward unto dawn. I have to say that the first 48 minutes had me a bit concerned as the track wasn't exactly blowing my skirt up. However, the last 38 minutes rocked. Beginning with the attack/invasion sequence. Pulsating infrasonic bass and lots of engaging surround sound. This one definitely deserves a spot on this list.

Thanks for the recommendation BNestico!

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 03-08-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page