AVSForum Blu-ray Spotlight: Ralph's picks for Room Shaking Bass - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
As home theater enthusiasts we love to show off our home entertainment systems. Let’s face it we have put lots of blood, sweat, and money into our labor of love so why shouldn’t we sit our friends, neighbors, relatives and anyone else that happens by down for a demonstration? Today Blu-ray’s lossless sound offers discerning listeners the opportunity to derive the most from their multi-channel home theater systems. Like many of you reading this I still get a kick out of watching people react to a great demo scene played back in my 9.2 channel theater. Of course this type of setup isn’t required to derive the awe factor as each room, system and enthusiast is different.

I love deep bass for both music and movies and the best way to reproduce the low frequency content associated with today’s movie soundtrack mixes is by using a subwoofer. Subwoofers come in a variety of sizes, designs and power ratings which allows consumers to pick the one (or more) that works best based upon their preference and room. I have been using subwoofers from SVS (www.svsound.com) a company that is very familiar to the AVS Community, for over ten years and have found their products to perform outstandingly. My current reference subwoofer is their PB-13 Ultra which is a ported box design that sits at the top of the PB subwoofer line. My PB-13 Ultra is located in the front of my theater and was being used in conjunction with a non SVS model that is located in the rear of the room. Each location provides the optimum response, a decision that was made after much trial and error.

I recently decided that I wanted to enhance the bass response in my room. With that in mind I reached out to my friends at SVS and opted for one of their cylinder subwoofers. I chose the PC12-NSD which I felt would blend well with the PB-13 Ultra without overstating the already stalwart response achieved in my theater room. Having previously owned the SVS 20-39 PC Plus cylinder subwoofer I had a good idea what to expect in terms of performance from the cylindrical design. The PC12-NSD arrived and in no time I had it integrated into my system. My initial reaction to it was that my instincts about going with this particular subwoofer were right on the money.

The first thing that came to mind when I began to listen to music was how smooth the bass combo sounded. Subwoofers with larger drivers can sometimes sound bloated, slow, or boomy. This might not always be noticeable with movies but can be quite obvious with music. This was not the case here as I was treated to clean, taut sound that was quick and articulate. There never seemed to be an excessive amount of bass but only what was contained within the scope of the recording. Digital movie soundtracks are where the metal meets the meat and I was anxious to see how well the SVS tandem would handle the challenge.

As expected the PB-13 Ultra/PC12-NSD took things to up a notch over my previous setup. The same things that impressed me before were still present but definitively more tactile. I think that as listeners we get very much hung up on trying to hear (or feel) those deepest frequencies in the 25 Hz and under range. In reality the majority of the bass contained in movies lies above that and it is important that a subwoofer is able to reproduce the range with tight control, and articulate pitch resolution. This proved not to be any problem as the dual subs provide smooth and cleanly delineated bass that doesn’t charge into the room calling attention to LFE. Rather the bass silently opens the door and eases in on a cushion of low frequency detail making its presence known with superbly rich palpability that is wonderfully immersive. Listening to tracks with ultra-deep bass content yielded similarly rewarding and emphatic results as the room became coupled and energized during the transference.

So after spending quite a bit of time going through some of my go to Blu-ray discs while getting acquainted with my newest subwoofer I decided to share some of them here. It should be noted that the order is random and this isn’t a comprehensive top list. As you might expect the majority of these are action films, some decent some not, but all are sure to rock your world at reference listening levels.

Battle Los Angeles

Cloverfield

Dredd

Elysium

Ender’s game

Gravity

The incredible Hulk

Max Payne

Finding Nemo

Oblivion

Pacific Rim

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The lightning thief

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Sea of monsters

Taken

Terminator Salvation

The conjuring

The Incredibles

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Transporter 3

Tron Legacy

True Blood: Season 6

Underworld Awakening

Unstoppable

World War Z

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army

War of the worlds

I have reviewed nearly all of the Blu-ray titles listed above. The reviews can be found in the AVS Forum Blu-ray Disc Review Database for those who want to check out the details.

There you have it – a list of my favorite go to discs for some of the best, biggest and room shaking bass found on Blu-ray. But this list is by no means supposed to be definitive. I'd love to hear which titles you consider worthy of checking out for pant flapping bass. Chime in and let’s discuss it here on AVS!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
nube, eljr, marcuslaw and 7 others like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2014, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The BD of the Lost World (Jurassic Park). When the two T-Rex's attack the mobile cabin/lab....love it!
The Normandy landing on Saving Private Ryan....super intense.

Just two of my favs, in addition to some of the ones you mentioned. Nice work Mr. Potts!
Daniel Chaves likes this.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Star Trek Into Darkness - Spock in the volcano. He's fiddling with the bomb-thingy and looks up. A huge wave of lava can be seen reflected in his visor. The next few seconds are sonic bliss!
tenthplanet and Daniel Chaves like this.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I agree with Jurassic Park being a must add to the list. On that note, a must add is Thor 2. I would say that is the most bass rich movie I've ever played on my system.
Daniel Chaves likes this.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 128
It's worth mentioning that there is a thread dedicated to LFE in movies here at AVS. There's a ton of movies, ranked from 5 star on down:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts
Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Pearl Harbor has some pretty good base moments and so does Twister smile.gif

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee
Bluray Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321
Speakers: Polk Audio + ButtKicker LFE
Arrangement: 5.2.2
Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Spamilton View Post

It's worth mentioning that there is a thread dedicated to LFE in movies here at AVS. There's a ton of movies, ranked from 5 star on down:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts

And several "demo discs" that would have saved you some trouble:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/demonstration-blu-ray-discs-independently-authored

Glad you're enjoying your new system, though.

:D

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Old 05-08-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 329
The Art of Flight should have been on this list
Old 05-08-2014, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Please Demo King Kong Blu-Ray. From the 4th chapter until the end of the movie well simply drive your sub Wild!!!
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Star Trek (2009)
Rush
Mission Impossible 3
Skyfall
A good day to die hard

My personal Top 5 favorites that didn't make your list. I haven't seen many on your list. I'll have to check a few out. WWZ didn't do it for me. The grenade scene is just a down sine sweep. I don't understand why people like that one so much. But hey, it's all subjective smile.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 63
That's a great list, Ralph - I heartily agree with many of your film selections.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

There are of course many out there that didn't make my list however that is simply because it could only be so long. smile.gif

Hence my reason for asking others to chime in with their recommendations. Additionally the list referenced above which can also be found here on AVS is a great resource. My intent was to offer some of my favorites not to suggest that they are the only ones out there.

Keep them coming folks. You can never have too many... cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 05-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 141
We all enjoy the cannons in Master and Commander. I went a little overboard and raised the volume 9 dB above the loudest i've ever played it.

Understand, in addition to the 2 Dynaudio Confidence C2 Signatures and center, there are 2 Dynaudio Sub 600s in the room along with an infinite baffle enclosure consisting of (4) 15" drivers.

Let me put it this way, it took me 30 minutes to regain my calm; it was like the cannons had fired in the home theater!
Ralph Potts and REDdawn6 like this.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Nice list, Ralph. Many of these movies I hadn't considered since I hadn't seen them but since you review movies, it's nice to get your perspective.

I also think my next sub will be a SVS, likely the same PC-12 NSD you got since I need en "entry level" model for my sun room/kitchen area rig that won't take as much space as a boxed sub (my home theater has a boxed sub).

Thanks for the review.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Rick
Old 05-08-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 140
A few that weren't on here that came to mind were War of the Worlds and Super 8. Transformers 3 Also had some crazy bass at times. My go to movies for bass are Terminator: Salvation and Tron: Legacy. For a particular scene, definitely the subway crash in Skyfall.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Subwoofers with larger drivers can sometimes sound bloated, slow, or boomy. This might not always be noticeable with movies but can be quite obvious with music.
I think that as listeners we get very much hung up on trying to hear (or feel) those deepest frequencies in the 25 Hz and under range. In reality the majority of the bass contained in movies lies above that and it is important that a subwoofer is able to reproduce the range with tight control, and articulate pitch resolution.

Ralph you are officially invited to the next subwoofer meet. tongue.gif The larger 18" and now 24" subwoofers (talking quality subwoofers here) are nearly universally preferred at every meet I've so far attended, which is about a dozen meets, when comapared to their smaller counterparts.

That mindset of larger subwoofers = slow, bloated, boomy sound is inspired, as best I can tell, by the old big, cheap, car audio drivers of yesteryear that were poorly made, used undersized magnets/motors, and boxes that were inappropriately small to save trunk space. A properly matched cabinet with a quality made larger size driver will outpreform a similar quality smaller driver in every single aspect. Sound quality can even be afforded with inexpensive 18" drivers if you keep their excursion reduced to linear levels by using multiples coupled with proper sized/designed boxes. At a recent meet hosted by BeastAudio it seemed most attendees liked eight budget SI 18" drivers better than a single SI 24", and they liked the SI 24" better than two LMS 5400 ultras. LMS Ultras have been considered about the best sub driver you could buy by the DIY community for the last decade +. If that little order of groups' subjective preference doesn't stand the traditional laws of what sounds best on its head, then I don't know what does. Multiple cheap big is better than one humongous is better than two big best. In the end, with subwoofers, its all about how much clean dispacement you have. With modern quality bigger drivers you can have more clean, linear displacement.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Old 05-08-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thank you Ralph, much appreciated.These are all great pics.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Very good list! I would just add The War of the Worlds (pod emergence scene) and the movie Pulse (server room scene).

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 05-08-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Surprised none of the transformers series made it on your list. Odd?

Oppo Beta Group
Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Ralph you are officially invited to the next subwoofer meet. tongue.gif The larger 18" and now 24" subwoofers (talking quality subwoofers here) are nearly universally preferred at every meet I've so far attended = which is about a dozen meets when comapared to their smaller counterparts.

That mindset of larger subwoofers = slow, bloated, boomy sound is inspired, as best I can tell, by the old big, cheap, car audio drivers of yesteryear that were poorly made, used undersized magnets/motors, and boxes that were inappropriately small to save trunk space. A properly matched cabinet with a quality made larger size driver will outpreform a similar quality smaller driver in every single aspect. Sound quality can even be afforded with inexpensive 18" drivers if you keep their excursion reduced by using multiples and proper sized boxes.

I'm sure that all of what you say is true. But not everyone can afford subs like that, or can certainly find the space in their rig for it. "Multiples and proper sized boxes" is often a recipe for poor WAF. smile.gif I liked the review of the PC-12 NSD mainly because it's a nice price for SVS' cylinder sub line and if space is a premium (and in my situation, it is), then it's a unique solution where you can still outdo all other box subs that would fit in the same footprint (basically the footage of a 10 inch sub).

Rick
Old 05-08-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 51
World War Z number 1 in my book...then Black Hawk Down.............wickedest sound
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31

Gravity is a must for LFE demo.

Ralph Potts likes this.

Vizio M551D -- Denon 1613 -- Vizio 3D Blu-ray

I find your lack of schadenfreude disturbing.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Great list but I did not notice War of the Worlds. This is where I go to make sure the subs are in sync and functioning properly

Ralph Potts, Djoel and ambesolman like this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
Old 05-08-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 142
X Men 1st Class. That movie has some pretty ass ripping bass in a few parts. Also Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, and if your familiar with the HBO series The Pacific, there's some serious bass in the opening episode during a shelling of the beach the marines are on.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 270
I have been playing a ton of these movies over again (as one does) after building my new DIY subs... 8x15" drivers sounds pretty sweet. AVS forum members that helped drive me in this direction and inspired me to plan the drivers, boxes, and amplifier were spot on. I am enjoying my home theater more than ever!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Blazar!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I always default to Transformers 1(Ironhide Flip). A couple of other honorable mentions from my humble experience are:

Stargate - Ra's Arrival at Night(Crazy Bass)
All is Lost - First Storm approaching(The thunder is incredible)
The Haunting DVD DTS version(Chapters 10 and 17)
Ralph Potts and REDdawn6 like this.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Interesting list, I own a number of the titles on it, I like to think I got them for more than the bass ( but at a subconscious level who knows confused.gifbiggrin.gif ). I never would have thought of Finding Nemo, I 'll have to look into that. Thanks, Ralph, great article as always. smile.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 05-09-2014, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypsx View Post

Star Trek Into Darkness - Spock in the volcano. He's fiddling with the bomb-thingy and looks up. A huge wave of lava can be seen reflected in his visor. The next few seconds are sonic bliss!
Going back to Laser Disc's on Star Trek 6 when Praxis blows up...it will remind you why you invest in all of this stuff and why you have easy going neighbors..

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 05-09-2014, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Nice little write up Ralph. I own every movie on your list and agree that each have some great scenes! Glad to hear that the sub upgrade was beneficial. Nothing is more rewarding than taking the plunge on new gear and gaining performance. :^)}
Ralph Potts likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
Old 05-09-2014, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks to all for your comments and suggested additions. smile.gif

As I pointed out earlier this isn't meant to be a definitive list and there will be many great titles missing. Some of those mentioned that are indeed in my collection but not included are War of the worlds, The Transformer series, X-Men 1st class and Black Hawk Down. There is no doubt that The Haunting (I have the DTS DVD version) is worthy of honorable mention. I hope that it sees a release on Blu-ray as I would love to hear that track in lossless. eek.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater