Feature running time: 105 minutes
Genre: Thriller/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Kit Harrington, Keifer Sutherland, Carrie-Anne Moss, Emily Browning, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Jaren Harris, Jessica Lucas
Directed by: Paul W.S. Anderson
Music by: Clinton Shorter
Written by: Janet Scott Batchler, Lee Batchler, Michael Robert Johnson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 20, 2014

"No warning. No escape"

Film Synopsis:

Set in 79 A.D., POMPEII tells the epic story of Milo (Kit Harrington), a slave turned invincible gladiator who finds himself in a race against time to save his true love Cassia (Emily Browning), the beautiful daughter of a wealthy merchant who has been unwillingly betrothed to a corrupt Roman Senator (Kiefer Sutherland). As Mount Vesuvius erupts in a torrent of blazing lava, Milo must fight his way out of the arena in order to save his beloved as the once magnificent Pompeii crumbles around him.

My Take:

Pompeii is a big budget action romance set against the 79 A.D. cataclysm that destroyed the city and vanquished its citizens. The script, co-written by Janet Scott Batchler, Lee Batchler, and Michael Robert Johnson, is of the rousing variety and follows a young enslaved Celt who rises to fame in the arena and seeks revenge on the Roman responsible for the murder of his family/people. Coupled with that is the supporting romantic element of a beautiful young aristocratic woman whose eye he catches and how they eventually come to need one another/fall in love.

It’s kind of hard to believe that three writers collaborated on the screenplay for this film. It’s a surface level effort that features cardboard cutouts for characters, bland action and uninteresting romance drama. Using the horrible events of the Pompeii disaster seemed an odd choice and given the poorly constructed story I literally found myself waiting for the eruption as I couldn’t help but feel that it would be the highlight of the film, and it was. Knowing how it would end wasn’t a problem. I found the inordinate predictability of the two central plots to smack of conceptual laziness which lead to tedium. The production elements were generally excellent as the CGI creation of the devastation proved engaging. The cast was a mixed bag but given the nature of what they had to work with it was what it was. As the end credits appeared I felt a feeling of indifference and subsequent relief wash over me. Pompeii isn’t a terrible film but its undeniably forgettable.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense battle sequences, disaster related action and brief sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Low frequency effects: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• *Low frequency extension (non-rated element): attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 86

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Pompeii 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.1 Mbps.

Pompeii was shot natively in 3D and I found its elements are positively conveyed in this high definition rendering. The film was shot using a mix of live action and CGI and the reproduction of color, digital effects and wide angle background elements is quite good. Depth varies with some scenes exhibiting an appreciable sense of dimension while others have a limited sense of virtual space. Like the 2D presentation resolution is rarely questionable in close ups and brightly lit interior/exterior sequences but it varies some in limited lighting. During the first act there is a noticeable lack of 3D effects that transcend the boundaries of the screen which makes for a somewhat less involving experience especially for a film of this type. Fortunately the action based sequences beginning with the start of the eruption through to the finale make effective use of the platform which bolsters the entertainment factor. I didn’t notice any overt instances of crosstalk or other video related anomalies. The end result is a complimentary 3D video presentation that doesn’t leave much of an impression.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix does a superb job rendering the film’s soundtrack. Dialogue has excellent intonation and clarity which allows even subtle changes in vocal pitch to be appreciable. This is a well balanced audio presentation that engages the entire system. Dynamic range is excellent and the soundstage has an open expression that allows its elements to extend well into the room. Rear channel activity is abundant as the film’s active elements provide an enriching level of immersion which is generated by a seamless sound field. The action is empowered by near field sound effects, and robust dynamics that energize the room. The LFE channel is frequently active and reproduces extended lower bass frequencies that hit hard and reward with palpably rich extension.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 94

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Pompeii comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps.

This is stylized video presentation that makes use of darker color schemes and grittier textures that provide the look that the filmmakers strive for to drive the story’s components. Its predominantly sepia toned aesthetic is broken up by splashes of vivid primary colors, crimson, and warm golden accents. Bold use of contrast and rich blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with punchy whites and dark dynamic highlights. Shadow delineation is strong and revealing of discernible detail visible in darkened backgrounds and low level wide angle shots. Resolution is excellent, particularly in brightly lit sequences, as images are characterized by definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. I saw no signs of artifacts or extraneous noise as the image has a whistle clean aesthetic that looked terrific on my big screen.

Bonus Features:

• 3D Blu-ray – Pompeii

• Disc 2:

• 2D Blu-ray – Pompeii (plus bonus features)

• Filmmakers audio commentary

• (HD) The Assembly – 7 minute casting featurette

• (HD) The volcanic eruption – Special effects featurette (7 minutes)

• (HD) *Exclusive* 20 deleted scenes

• (HD) *Exclusive* The Gladiators: Stunts – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) *Exclusive* The Journey: Production design – 7 minute featurette

• (HD) *Exclusive* The costume shop: Costume design – 6 minute featurette

• (HD) *Exclusive* Pompeii: Buried in time – Behind the scenes of ancient history’s greatest disaster – 24 minutes

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Pompeii is a poorly conceived action/romance/disaster film that features top notch production elements supporting a lazily written script. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in this two disc 3D/2D release that includes gratifying 3D video, and top notch high definition picture/sound. The supplied bonus material includes Blu-ray exclusive content that is worth checking out if you enjoyed the film. Pompeii is tough to recommend unless you already happen to be a fan. In that case this offering is worth picking up otherwise it’s a pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra Subwoofer (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD (Cylinder) Subwoofer
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 142
It's a shame it seems this movie was pretty lousy. I'm a big fan of Kit Harrington as Jon Snow in Thrones, this review kinda killed any interest I had in watching this one.

Panasonic P60U54
Pioneer VSX-1122 K
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3, PS2
post #3 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Your review is spot on. While watching it I couldn't help but
Think of it as a Titanic/Gladiator mixture type of movie.

Definitely a rental.

On a side note I visited Pompeii with my parents as a wide eyed
12 year old. The time that we spent there made quite the impression
On me that has stayed with me to this day.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I was in Pompei just a few years ago and it is quite an amazing site!

This movie looks more like eye candy than anything but still interested in giving it a rental.

Thanks for the great review.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #5 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Aww man. A Paul W.S Anderson does't deliver? That's a surprise!

Just kidding. He isn't a bad filmmaker per-say when it comes to eye candy and action but anything beyond that is shallow. I'll likely watch this one for the visual effects and the gladiator scenes. I'm always a sucker for those.

Thanks for the review!

post #6 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post

I'll likely watch this one for the visual effects and the gladiator scenes. I'm always a sucker for those.

Thanks for the review!

Greetings,

In that regard you'll probably enjoy it. Be sure to post back afterward... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7 of 13 Old 05-15-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Visited the site as well, and was very surprised there were almost 150,000 people living there - not a small village!
Favorite spots showed by the guide - the house of pleasure, with the fast food joint across the rutted roadway.
Still being dug out, with the dug out parts now falling into ruin! Shame - and of course - corruption there now, just like in the original days!
Re the Movie - watching the Movie Trailers was probably was good enough! (Was this a movie, or travelogue to get people who have never been, to visit? Warning - Volcano could also erupt again at any time! )
post #8 of 13 Old 05-28-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Definitely gave the 7.2 system a nice bass workout .. if there was any dust on those sub cones, it's gone now ..

Sutherland should be voted "The Most Miscast / Cardboard Actor of 2014"

Jon Snow, played, uh, Jon Snow .. Kit Harrington ..

Fluffy effects ridden Titanic Meets Spartacus neither done very well, but visually nice at 120" .. wink.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #9 of 13 Old 06-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just watched this last night. I don't think it was as bad as most people have been saying. I actually enjoyed it a little. Maybe it was because I went into it with such low expectations. The destruction sequences has some good deep effects.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #10 of 13 Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

Just watched this last night. I don't think it was as bad as most people have been saying. I actually enjoyed it a little. Maybe it was because I went into it with such low expectations. The destruction sequences has some good deep effects.

My wife and I also like-it.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #11 of 13 Old 06-16-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Got around to watching this. The story is laughable, and badly written. But its still a decent popcorn flick just for the suspense and FX.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
well,i got it,This movie looks more like eye candy than anything but still interested in giving it a rental.thanks [IMG]http://*******/BqayBL[/IMG]
post #13 of 13 Old 06-18-2014, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Based on some of the recent reviews from others here I'm gonna give this 1 a shot.

Thanks guys.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page