The Lego Movie: Everything is Awesome Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 21Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gecko85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: California
Posts: 2,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Great review!

My GF and I both loved the movie, and look forward to watching it again with my niece and nephew.

Bonus points for the soundtrack since the score was done by Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO. He performed most of the songs himself, but wrote "Everything is Awesome!" which is performed by Tegan and Sara (with Lonely Island).
Ralph Potts likes this.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
Gecko85 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-19-2014, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,663
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked: 1726
I was just wondering; you guys prefer the 3D or 2D version?

* Me; 3D. ...Awesome!
Ralph Potts likes this.
NorthSky is offline  
Old 07-19-2014, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
David Susilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Markham, Canada
Posts: 9,737
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 452
For this movie I prefer the 3D version. It adds so much to the story telling.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

David Susilo is online now  
Old 07-19-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,663
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4417 Post(s)
Liked: 1726
You seem to be a fairly normal guy David.

Yes, 3D abso!utely, definitely, no contest. ...You and I (and many others too) are on the exact same 3D page.
David Susilo likes this.
NorthSky is offline  
Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 10,203
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I was just wondering; you guys prefer the 3D or 2D version?

* Me; 3D. ...Awesome!
Greetings,

3D...!


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
Old 07-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
ozar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Thanks for reviewing this, Ralph!

The wife and I just finished watching the 2D version of The Lego Movie on blu-ray. I'm not a fan of most animated films but occasionally one does come along that I really like, such as the recently released animated film on blu-ray, "Frozen". That one was one of my all-time favorites. Unfortunately, this one was one didn't appeal to me at all, and my wife didn't like it, either. When it ended, she looked at me and said, "I wouldn't even give it a 5 out of 10 score", and she generally likes all animated films. Personally, I thought the audio and video were awesome, but the story and characters couldn't hold my interest. I'll be watching it again soon, though, and in 3D, so hopefully my opinion of it will change.

Thanks again for taking the time to review it...
Ralph Potts likes this.

oz
ozar is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 10,203
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post
Thanks for reviewing this, Ralph!

The wife and I just finished watching the 2D version of The Lego Movie on blu-ray. I'm not a fan of most animated films but occasionally one does come along that I really like, such as the recently released animated film on blu-ray, "Frozen". That one was one of my all-time favorites. Unfortunately, this one was one didn't appeal to me at all, and my wife didn't like it, either. When it ended, she looked at me and said, "I wouldn't even give it a 5 out of 10 score", and she generally likes all animated films. Personally, I thought the audio and video were awesome, but the story and characters couldn't hold my interest. I'll be watching it again soon, though, and in 3D, so hopefully my opinion of it will change.

Thanks again for taking the time to review it...
Greetings,

Thanks for offering your thoughts oz. Sorry this one didn't work for you guys. Next time perhaps..?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
Old 07-21-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 423
We were on a 3 week vacation June-20 thru July-12, towed a pop-up trailer 8 campsites in 22 days (2 hotels also)


I read Ralph's review, we bought the blu-ray + DVD copy whle on the road.
My kids watched it as I drove to Custer state park and loved it, I only heard it and enjoyed it even that way.

Just watched it now at home in the HT, I totally loved it and kids enjoyed watching it again.

Simply - review spot on, great movie and a great buy.
Ralph Potts likes this.
mtbdudex is offline  
Old 07-22-2014, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 10,203
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
We were on a 3 week vacation June-20 thru July-12, towed a pop-up trailer 8 campsites in 22 days (2 hotels also)


I read Ralph's review, we bought the blu-ray + DVD copy whle on the road.
My kids watched it as I drove to Custer state park and loved it, I only heard it and enjoyed it even that way.

Just watched it now at home in the HT, I totally loved it and kids enjoyed watching it again.

Simply - review spot on, great movie and a great buy.

Greetings,

Awesome mtbdudex...


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 5,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Btw, went to Toledo Mudhens scout sleepover last 2 weeks ago, and approx 100 scouts and families camped overnight on the outfield and loved watching this movie on both their big screens!

Everything is awesome!




robnix likes this.

Last edited by mtbdudex; 08-15-2014 at 04:02 AM.
mtbdudex is offline  
Old 08-22-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,785
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 245
An animated kids' movie that ably articulates through its story how religious, political and societal dogma is used to suppress our freedom to be who we are -- who would have thought?
robnix and Taranteacher like this.
Deja Vu is offline  
Old 10-29-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
djkest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Do you think this movie would be good for a 3-year-old? Doesn't like overly scary stuff but I realize this is PG.
djkest is offline  
Old 10-29-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 10,203
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post
Do you think this movie would be good for a 3-year-old? Doesn't like overly scary stuff but I realize this is PG.
Greetings,

There is some minor thematic material/action but nothing that a three year old would notice. I would say that you should be okay.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 

Tags
frontpage , the lego movie blu ray
Gear in this thread
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off