AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-blu-ray-disc-reviews/)
-   -   The Lego Movie: Everything is Awesome Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-official-avs-blu-ray-disc-reviews/1534959-lego-movie-everything-awesome-edition-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review.html)

Ralph Potts 06-08-2014 01:16 PM

The Lego Movie: Everything is Awesome Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

http://i58.tinypic.com/35077l2.jpg

An ordinary LEGO minifigure, mistakenly thought to be the extraordinary MasterBuilder, is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil LEGO tyrant from gluing the universe together.

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Nick Offerman, Alison Brie, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Charlie Day
Written & Directed by: Phil Lord & Christopher Miller
Music by: Mark Mothersbaugh
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 17, 2014

"Everything is awesome…!"

My Take:

The original 3D computer-animated story follows Emmet, an ordinary, rules-following, perfectly average LEGO minifigure who is mistakenly identified as The Special, the most extraordinary person and the key to saving the world. He is drafted into a fellowship of strangers on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant, a journey for which Emmet is hopelessly and hilariously underprepared.

“The LEGO Movie” stars Chris Pratt as the voice of Emmet, and Will Ferrell as the voice of President Business, aka Lord Business, an uptight CEO who has a hard time balancing world domination with micro-managing his own life. Voicing the members of Emmet’s rebel crew on this heroic mission are Morgan Freeman as the ancient mystic Vitruvius; Elizabeth Banks as tough-as-nails Wyldstyle, who mistakes Emmet for the savior of the world and guides him on his quest; Will Arnett as the mysterious Batman, a LEGO minifigure with whom Wyldstyle shares a history; Nick Offerman as the craggy, swaggering pirate Metal Beard, obsessed with revenge on Lord Business; Alison Brie as the sweet and loveable Unikitty and Charlie Day as Benny, the 1980-something Spaceman.

What a cute, fun and highly entertaining film. The Lego Movie is filled with cleverly integrated humor, throwback references and a plethora of characters borrowed from a variety of sources. The story is both imaginative and charming as it boasts an uplifting theme that can be enjoyed by both kids and their parents. I watched it with my family (my kids are 22 and 20) and we all loved it. You’d have to pay strict attention to catch each of the giggle inducing references but if missed the site gags are sure to keep you chuckling. The cast is perfectly placed and from end to end add an enriching element that elevates the experience. Speaking of elevating the experience the superbly crafted animation is amazing as the attention to detail is a thoughtful as it is technically marvelous.

What more can I say other than I can’t recommend The Lego Movie enough….

The “Everything is Awesome Edition” Blu-ray Combo Pack includes an exclusive LEGO Vitruvius minifigure, bonus 3D movie version, collectible 3D Emmet photo, exclusive bonus content, a DVD, and a digital version of the movie on Digital HD with UltraViolet. It is also available in a standard Blu-ray Combo Pack that includes the film in high definition on Blu-ray Disc, a DVD, and a digital version of the film in Digital HD with UltraViolet.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild action and rude humor.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

3D Presentation: 94

The Lego Movie 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brother Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.2 Mbps.

Knowing that this digital creation was natively rendered in 3D I had high hopes for this presentation and of course I wasn’t disappointed. I must admit that being bombarded with gimmicky in your face effects is something that I find quickly wears off the novelty of 3D. That isn’t to suggest that I don’t occasionally enjoy the feeling of flinching when objects are hurled from the screen. I much prefer to view 3D that takes advantage of the depth and dimension that can bring images onscreen to life in a visually involving and natural way. The Lego Movie in 3D incorporates its share of fun pop out of the screen moments however its implementation is subtle yet somehow demonstrative.

This is a stellar 3D presentation that features superlative onscreen dimensional correlation. Textures abound as the richness of the digitally created objects onscreen are incredibly nuanced and lifelike regardless of their placement within the frame. Detail is impeccable as the video retains a high level of clarity that is enhanced by the superlative reproduction of color. This isn’t an effects laden spectacle however there are enough floating, reaching, and flying objects to keep 3D zealots interested. As for me, this is 3D entertainment that brought a smile to my face.

The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound is reference quality and sounds superb. This animated film uses an intricate sound design that has to maintain a delicate balance so the plethora of sound effects, music and dialogue within the soundtrack can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue is distinctly perceptible and well articulated so that even subtle changes in the inflection of the voices among the cast was detectable. Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field and establish a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what is being heard within the listening environment. This creates an immersive, active and involving soundscape that is abundantly rich in detail. Its wide dynamic range can go from subtle, intricate control to room energizing dynamism.

Low frequencies underscore sound effects and reinforce the dynamic impact of the audio. Response is authoritative, clean and on occasion prodigious as it fills the room with deep, tactile, low level bass energy. Randy Newman’s emotive and wonderful music score sometimes takes center stage and is reproduced with high level detail and smooth, strident free treble. I found this to be a superlative mix that creates a stable and immersive surround sound experience that achieves excellent balance so that all of the elements inherent in the recording can be realized.

This is a stellar and reference quality high definition presentation from Warner that offers breathtaking video and magnificent lossless sound.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

The Lego Movie comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps.

This is a stunning and reference quality high definition presentation that delivers flawless imagery. The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the film’s animated elements. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably three dimensional. It never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. I couldn’t get over the depth of the beautifully rendered colors. Colors are deeply saturated with lustrous vibrancy and succulent textures that literally leap off of the screen. Primaries are particularly striking and exhibit visible gradational stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation.

Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to them not only in size and shape but color as well. Blacks are inky with extended dynamic range and deep gradational highlights. The dark and shadow filled confines of Lord Business’s lair as well as the interior of the rebel crew’s submarine exhibits a near infinite level of dimension, with superb contrast and visible shading that drew out lots of detail. I was blown away by this high definition presentation and thoroughly enjoyed viewing it on my big screen.

Bonus Features:
  • Disc 1:
  • The Lego Movie 3D Blu-ray
    Disc 2:
  • The Lego Movie 2D (plus bonus features)
  • Feature commentary with cast/crew
  • (HD) Batman: A True Artist – 1 minute feature
  • (HD) Michelangelo and Lincoln: History Cops – 1 minute feature
  • (HD) Enter the Ninjago – 2 minute feature
  • (HD) Bringing LEGO to Life – 12 minute featurette
  • (HD) “Everything is Awesome” Sing-Along
  • (HD) See it! Build it! (6 production feature segments)
  • (HD) Stories from the Story Team – 4 minute featurette
  • (HD) Fan-Made Films: Top Secret Submissions – 4 minutes
  • (HD) Outtakes – 2 minutes
  • (HD) Additional Promotional Content – 4 minutes
  • (HD) Alleyway Test
  • (HD) Deleted Scenes – 3 minutes
  • (HD) PLUS Dream Job: Meet The LEGO Builders – 13 minute featurette
  • Bonus DVD
  • Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Lego Movie is a hilarious, charming and highly entertaining family adventure about a nobody who saves everybody. It comes to Blu-ray in this Everything is Awesome Edition that features superlative 3D/2D high definition video, reference quality DTS-HD Master Audio sound and a host of bonus supplements including exclusives and collectible goodies. It can also be had in a standard Blu-ray Combo Pack as well. I thoroughly enjoyed this cute, imaginative and fun animated film that is a must have for your collection. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Dave Vaughn 06-08-2014 01:18 PM

Great review Ralph. Totally agree with you...this movie was a lot of fun and the A/V quality is outstanding (or maybe a better word is Awesome biggrin.gif)

Mattopotamus 06-08-2014 01:27 PM

I have wanted to see this for such a long time! Ouch $40 for the 3D version frown.gif

Ralph Potts 06-08-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Great review Ralph. Totally agree with you...this movie was a lot of fun and the A/V quality is outstanding (or maybe a better word is Awesome biggrin.gif)

Greetings,

Thanks buddy.... smile.gif

Regards,

vp4lifehva 06-08-2014 02:05 PM

The scene where Batman shows off his Batmobile subwoofers is amazing, I mean, awesome!

robnix 06-08-2014 02:42 PM

This is a paraphrase of a post I made at another forum:

Any kids movie that uses Cloud Cuckoo Land from Aristophanes' The Birds and names the wise mentor character of the 'master builders', Vitruvius, after Marcus Vitruvius Pollio in a contextually correct manner deserves all the accolades that it's received. It's a close to brilliant satire that among other things attacks conformity, commoditization, surveillance states, hero worship, and modern pop culture. Even the movies namesake LEGO and it's over reliance on branded kits isn't safe from being poked at. There's a lot more to this movie than just the animation and story line. It's truly a gem and possibly the smartest kids movie to come out of Hollywood since Rango. Losing the oscar to Frozen was a travesty.

From Wikipedia:

Cloud Cuckoo Land refers to an unrealistically idealistic state where everything is perfect. ("You're living in cloud cuckoo land, mate.") It hints that the person referred to is naïve, unaware of reality or deranged in holding such an optimistic belief.

From Wikipedia:

Marcus Vitruvius Pollio (born c. 80–70 BC, died after c. 15 BC), commonly known as Vitruvius, was a Roman author, architect, and civil engineer during the 1st century BC perhaps best known for his multi-volume work entitled De Architectura.

javanpohl 06-08-2014 03:12 PM

Wow, 100 for sound, I guess everything truly is awesome! So, this is another movie that's not showing up for pre-order on Amazon. Apparently Amazon is currently in dispute with Warner. The HBO series..es and this are not available for pre-order.

Dave Vaughn 06-08-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

This is a paraphrase of a post I made at another forum:

Any kids movie that uses Cloud Cuckoo Land from Aristophanes' The Birds and names the wise mentor character of the 'master builders', Vitruvius, after Marcus Vitruvius Pollio in a contextually correct manner deserves all the accolades that it's received. It's a close to brilliant satire that among other things attacks conformity, commoditization, surveillance states, hero worship, and modern pop culture. Even the movies namesake LEGO and it's over reliance on branded kits isn't safe from being poked at. There's a lot more to this movie than just the animation and story line. It's truly a gem and possibly the smartest kids movie to come out of Hollywood since Rango. Losing the oscar to Frozen was a travesty.

From Wikipedia:

Cloud Cuckoo Land refers to an unrealistically idealistic state where everything is perfect. ("You're living in cloud cuckoo land, mate.") It hints that the person referred to is naïve, unaware of reality or deranged in holding such an optimistic belief.

From Wikipedia:

Marcus Vitruvius Pollio (born c. 80–70 BC, died after c. 15 BC), commonly known as Vitruvius, was a Roman author, architect, and civil engineer during the 1st century BC perhaps best known for his multi-volume work entitled De Architectura.

Totally agree about the writing. This can be viewed multiple times to pick up on so many subtle sequences.

fierce_gt 06-08-2014 03:43 PM

I dunno. at face value, I didn't think the movie had all that much to offer, for adults. it's definitely possible I missed a lot of references, but it felt squarely aimed for 10yr old boys and hit that marked for sure. it felt like every time I started to chuckle, I had either just finished rolling my eyes or was about to. SO much 'dumb humour' and an obvious plot, even the clever stuff seemed to get lost in the mix for me.

as far as kids movies go, it's far from unbearable or annoying. but definitely not worth a repeat watch imo. I tend to keep a bunch of G/PG movies on a jump drive in case I need to waste some class time for whatever reason, I do not plan on adding this one to the collection as I don't think I could bear it again.

robnix 06-08-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Totally agree about the writing. This can be viewed multiple times to pick up on so many subtle sequences.

I'm looking forward to delivery day. smile.gif

thrillcat 06-08-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Wow, 100 for sound, I guess everything truly is awesome! So, this is another movie that's not showing up for pre-order on Amazon. Apparently Amazon is currently in dispute with Warner. The HBO series..es and this are not available for pre-order.

Interesting. I preordered this on Amazon about a month ago, still shows up in my orders, has an expected delivery date, but if I click on it to view the item the preorder is no longer available. Perhaps they had an allotment for preorder that they have already gone through? Perhaps they were forced to cut off the preorder when the studio decided to go full-boar digital push...

Just another sign that the studios don't want to sell Blurays anymore, making the digital version of a huge blockbuster like this available a month before the disc?

Rwatts81 06-08-2014 06:08 PM

Extremely happy to see the positive scores. When I took the girls to see this in the theater I wasn't sure if the theater audio was bad, or if the soundtrack itself wasn't mastered well. Glad it was the former.

And, of course, thanks for the review Mr. Potts!

Daniel Chaves 06-08-2014 06:50 PM

I kept falling a sleep ^^;;

yadfgp 06-08-2014 07:09 PM

This got great reviews but is it geared more towards kids?

I like a vast majority of animated flicks, but I can't stand the ones that are geared more towards the 10 and under age group. No matter how good Ralph's A/V scores are for the film! biggrin.gif

fierce_gt 06-08-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

I like a vast majority of animated flicks, but I can't stand the ones that are geared more towards the 10 and under age group. No matter how good Ralph's A/V scores are for the film! biggrin.gif

yes, it's absolutely made for young kids. there are some subtle references and such to keep adults interested, but it is not an adult or even teen movie. a lot of the humour is like characters saying 'shut up' and 'butt', it's VERY juvenile on the surface. it's not a terrible watch, but I don't see any replay value personally

Ralph Potts 06-08-2014 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Greetings,

It isn't geared only toward younger audiences. There is ample room for enjoyment for adults as well. You'll be fine.... cool.gif

Regards,

robnix 06-08-2014 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

yes, it's absolutely made for young kids. there are some subtle references and such to keep adults interested, but it is not an adult or even teen movie. a lot of the humour is like characters saying 'shut up' and 'butt', it's VERY juvenile on the surface.

Below the surface it has a great deal of depth. It's a lot smarter than you give it credit for.

Tom Monahan 06-08-2014 08:04 PM

I can't believe we have to pay extra for all the crap to get the 3d release. Talk about getting screwed over.frown.gif

Tom

Franin 06-08-2014 09:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

I did to but I still have to get it for the kids

muffinmcfluffin 06-08-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

I did too, but then again I nearly fell asleep at the wheel today too. I can't believe I actually almost did that.

My point is that I was tired. I need to re-see this one, and I think it deserves a Blu-ray purchase for what it's worth.

Daniel Chaves 06-08-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I did to but I still have to get it for the kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

I did too, but then again I nearly fell asleep at the wheel today too. I can't believe I actually almost did that.

My point is that I was tired. I need to re-see this one, and I think it deserves a Blu-ray purchase for what it's worth.

Yeah I am going to have to try and watch it again and see if I can stay awake, I did fall a sleep around the ending too so at least I have that to look forward too lol

Franin 06-08-2014 09:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Yeah I am going to have to try and watch it again and see if I can stay awake, I did fall a sleep around the ending too so at least I have that to look forward too lol

I hopefully I will enjoy it at home when I try to watch it again also. Have been playing lego movie on the Wii U with the kids which isn't too bad.

Brian Fineberg 06-09-2014 06:13 AM

Can't find it for preorder frown.gif

Mattopotamus 06-09-2014 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Can't find it for preorder frown.gif

bestbuy has it for pre-order

cinema13 06-09-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I can't believe we have to pay extra for all the crap to get the 3d release. Talk about getting screwed over.frown.gif

Tom

On can always order it from AmazonUK. They have just the combo 3D set, without the cards and stuff. And it's cheaper.

ozar 06-09-2014 09:15 AM

Looking forward to seeing this one in 3D, but sure hope the price drops a bit by the release date.

Thanks for reviewing it, Ralph!

javanpohl 06-09-2014 10:29 AM

I just want to throw out a thanks, Ralph, because if it wasn't for this review, I'd still have no idea if this was actually the 3d version or not. The package labeling on this one is really confusing. "Bonus 3d movie" doesn't necessarily mean that it's the official 3d blu-ray of the movie. Since the top only said "blu-ray + DVD + HD digital copy", I was halfway thinking that the bonus movie was some random lenticular 3d lego movie.

javanpohl 06-09-2014 10:37 AM

BTW, I want to chime on whether or not this is a good movie for adults... Part of me thinks that this would be more popular with adults than kids just because there's so much rapid word-play and satire (I can't imagine 5 year olds thinking paying $30 for Starbucks would be terribly funny); however, it is definitely not a film for SERIOUS adults wink.gif It is one goofy, fun film. And if you can't handle a movie covered in silly sauce, then this isn't the film for you.

fierce_gt 06-09-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Below the surface it has a great deal of depth. It's a lot smarter than you give it credit for.

it just felt hard to get through all that for me. I'm sure I missed a lot of stuff, but it just seemed like everything I did catch was 'ruined' by what happened just before or after it.

it's FAR from the worst kids movie I've seen, I'm more likely to rewatch this than frozen for example, haha. but it's still a kids movie, and obviously so. all the good kids movies have subtle context just for the adults, and this is no exception to that. but I'm not going to find a ton of enjoyment from just subtle context if the movie itself is pretty boring with an obvious plot.

would I recommend you watch it with your kids, absolutely. it's totally bearable and many will enjoy it, plus you'll get to talk about it with your kids afterwards. would I recommend a single, kidless 20-something year old buy this? no way. you'll watch it once and that'll likely be it.

Ralph Potts 06-09-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

I just want to throw out a thanks, Ralph, because if it wasn't for this review, I'd still have no idea if this was actually the 3d version or not. The package labeling on this one is really confusing. "Bonus 3d movie" doesn't necessarily mean that it's the official 3d blu-ray of the movie. Since the top only said "blu-ray + DVD + HD digital copy", I was halfway thinking that the bonus movie was some random lenticular 3d lego movie.

Greetings,

Glad to be of help javanpohl... cool.gif

Regards,