300 Rise of an Empire 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Greetings,

I wish I could offer some useful information gentlemen but I didn't experience an issue with dialogue volume/intelligibility.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
I don't remember having any issue with the dialogue/center channel. Only that the surrounds were extremely hot in comparison to the rest of the mix. I can demo it for you when you come out in two weeks Ralph.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #33 of 56 Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I found the same thing Darthray. The surrounds are recorded extremely hot on this soundtrack. They don't integrate with the main soundstage very well at all. It was extremely noticeable right off the bat when we sat down to watch the film. I noticed it is a 7.1 soundtrack and I run a 5.1 system so I almost wonder if it is something with the metadata for wrapping the rears into the surrounds. Never had an issue like this with other 7.1 mixes, but this one was apparent immediately.
Hmmm.

I've only listened to it in 7.1, and the mix is fantastic! I've had none of the issues above.

You might be on to something regarding 5.1/7.1, so with a three-day weekend looming, I'll see if I can get the soundtrack to play 5.1 without a decoder (Logic7, PLIIx, DTS Neo:6, whatever) grabbing it and sending something to the rears anyway.

This usually requires several hours of staring blankly into the two blue lines of visible menu items hoping not to click the wrong way forward, backward, up or down... (Okay, not quite that bad, but, sheesh, UI on some of this stuff is antiquated.)
Ralph Potts likes this.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #34 of 56 Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
I don't remember having any issue with the dialogue/center channel. Only that the surrounds were extremely hot in comparison to the rest of the mix. I can demo it for you when you come out in two weeks Ralph.

Greetings,

Sounds good Kris. darthray cites an issue with seemingly low dialogue due to the volume of the surrounds. I double checked my notes but didn't make any mention of an issue with it. I look forward to hearing AND seeing this one (based on our discussion about the video) via your setup when I come out. Should be fun!

Regards,
Kris Deering likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #35 of 56 Old 07-03-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post
Hmmm.

I've only listened to it in 7.1, and the mix is fantastic! I've had none of the issues above.

You might be on to something regarding 5.1/7.1, so with a three-day weekend looming, I'll see if I can get the soundtrack to play 5.1 without a decoder (Logic7, PLIIx, DTS Neo:6, whatever) grabbing it and sending something to the rears anyway.

This usually requires several hours of staring blankly into the two blue lines of visible menu items hoping not to click the wrong way forward, backward, up or down... (Okay, not quite that bad, but, sheesh, UI on some of this stuff is antiquated.)
Should be as easy as going into the setup and just saying you don't have rears. Then make sure you don't have a DSP mode engaged and that your decoding in the native format.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #36 of 56 Old 07-03-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks. Will be checking this out…..loved the first movie,if this is even 80% as entertaining, this will be a good watch. Can’t go wrongwith Eva green in it…..she was born for these “you don’t want to mess with me”types of roles.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #37 of 56 Old 07-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I found the same thing Darthray. The surrounds are recorded extremely hot on this soundtrack. They don't integrate with the main soundstage very well at all. It was extremely noticeable right off the bat when we sat down to watch the film. I noticed it is a 7.1 soundtrack and I run a 5.1 system so I almost wonder if it is something with the metadata for wrapping the rears into the surrounds. Never had an issue like this with other 7.1 mixes, but this one was apparent immediately.
That Definetly couls be the case because I have a 5.1 system as well! I actually hope it's the case so I don't have to spend a ton of time figuring something out
post #38 of 56 Old 07-03-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Should be as easy as going into the setup and just saying you don't have rears. Then make sure you don't have a DSP mode engaged and that your decoding in the native format.
But I do have rears; that would be like lying to my beloved... oh, wait, that's a great suggestion! I don't really love my system that much, no really, I don't.

Thanks.

post #39 of 56 Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by glantern30 View Post
No you aren't!!!!!!! I came here myself to see if anyone had the same issues??? This is the first time I've had this problem with my system where the dialog was very low.. I don't blast my system either I wonder if I got a bad disc??

Any ideas
Me too for the very low center.
Maybe/maybe not, for the bad disc.

Quote:
I don't think it it is the case, I run a 7.2 system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I wish I could offer some useful information gentlemen but I didn't experience an issue with dialogue volume/intelligibility.

Regards,
This is where I got baffle.
You and I use the same A/V processor but the dialoghe was very low compare to the surronds and even the main sounded weak at time.
For extra info, I run my 2 subs (same as Ralph, PB13 Ultra, hot by 1 Db).
Everything else, Audyssey XT32 calibration.

Quote:
Hmmm.

I don't think it is a 5.1 versus 7.1 issue since I run 7.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Sounds good Kris. darthray cites an issue with seemingly low dialogue due to the volume of the surrounds. I double checked my notes but didn't make any mention of an issue with it. I look forward to hearing AND seeing this one (based on our discussion about the video) via your setup when I come out. Should be fun!
Yes, at time I did had a hard time to understand what they were saying since surrond action was so much louder.

Regards,
Quote:
That Definetly couls be the case because I have a 5.1 system as well! I actually hope it's the case so I don't have to spend a ton of time figuring something out
Do not think so since I got a 7.2 system and use the same A/V processor than Ralph and same sub for one of them.

I want to Thank You All for the responce
I now know it is not the electronics, but maybe the media
At least, I know I am not alone with the same problem.
The rest of the recording was perfect.
Just foud the center to be weak and the main weak at time but not always!
Maybe a bad dick as a reply by glander30 on my first reply.

Again
Thank You!

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live

Last edited by darthray; 07-03-2014 at 09:24 PM.
post #40 of 56 Old 07-04-2014, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I use a 5.1 set up as well, I would say that the surrounds were a bit hot but nothing to the level of drowning out dialog, or even being bothersome to me. I use matching mono-pole speakers all around, in an ITU set up. YMMV.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #41 of 56 Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

To drown out the insane firecracker and gunfire noise of LA on the 4th, we went down to the HT and watched 300 Rise of an Empire at very loud levels. I made sure the rears were deselected, and didn't tell my GF anything was up, just to see if she said anything.

If she can't hear the dialog, she has no qualms about letting me know, so her unwitting participation in the 5.1 test was as close as I could get to having an unsuspecting, neutral listener.

Knowing that I was being hypercritical in my own listening since I switched the audio specifically to 5.1 to listen for something, I think the surrounds were a bit more aggressive than they were in 7.1. Still, it's hard to trust oneself in situations like this, and I found that the dialog was just as audible, so I probably projected my expectation.

Annie had no problems with the sound. Since this was her first listen, I usually anticipate a few "What?"s when dialog gets drowned out. She didn't say it even once. She said it sounded great and was very exciting to listen to. I pushed my luck and asked if anything seemed too loud, and she said, "You had the bass turned up, didn't you?" I sucked it up and said, "Yeah," even though I didn't.

So, those of you experiencing unsatisfactory 5.1 performance, I can't add anything other than it worked satisfactorily for us, though I prefer the fuller envelopment of the 7.1 audio. Still, the 5.1 was eminently listenable.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #42 of 56 Old 07-05-2014, 03:33 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
This will be out here soon. Thanks for the heads up in the audio.

Frank
post #43 of 56 Old 07-05-2014, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
To drown out the insane firecracker and gunfire noise of LA on the 4th, we went down to the HT and watched 300 Rise of an Empire at very loud levels. I made sure the rears were deselected, and didn't tell my GF anything was up, just to see if she said anything.

If she can't hear the dialog, she has no qualms about letting me know, so her unwitting participation in the 5.1 test was as close as I could get to having an unsuspecting, neutral listener.

Knowing that I was being hypercritical in my own listening since I switched the audio specifically to 5.1 to listen for something, I think the surrounds were a bit more aggressive than they were in 7.1. Still, it's hard to trust oneself in situations like this, and I found that the dialog was just as audible, so I probably projected my expectation.

Annie had no problems with the sound. Since this was her first listen, I usually anticipate a few "What?"s when dialog gets drowned out. She didn't say it even once. She said it sounded great and was very exciting to listen to. I pushed my luck and asked if anything seemed too loud, and she said, "You had the bass turned up, didn't you?" I sucked it up and said, "Yeah," even though I didn't.

So, those of you experiencing unsatisfactory 5.1 performance, I can't add anything other than it worked satisfactorily for us, though I prefer the fuller envelopment of the 7.1 audio. Still, the 5.1 was eminently listenable.
Greetings,

Thanks for taking the time to give this a shot filecat and for reporting your findings..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #44 of 56 Old 07-05-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I liked this movie. It was good to know that this sea battle was going on while the "300" battle was happening too. Also, Xerxes origin and Eva Greens'(pant,pant )character origin..I forget her name..my bad, added depth to the story. Picture and sound were off the hook!!. This will be added to the library .
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.
post #45 of 56 Old 07-05-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you man
post #46 of 56 Old 07-16-2014, 10:57 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
I agree with you on this. Just finished watching it, the surrounds were way too hot. I run a 9.2 system and my disc being a rental the mix was awful.
post #47 of 56 Old 07-17-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Wondering which had better 3D...."Pompeii" or "300"?

post #48 of 56 Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 612
1. I much prefer the first one. ...Except for that hot steamy scene with the lovely Eva Green, of course.

2. You have to turn the volume up to hear the dialog. ...On this one.

3. True, @ that volume level the surrounds become overwhelming.

* That's me with my own set of ears using Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with two subs.
-> The Blu-ray audio soundtrack is mastered that way.

Last edited by NorthSky; 07-19-2014 at 01:33 AM.
post #49 of 56 Old 07-19-2014, 03:44 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
1. I much prefer the first one. ...Except for that hot steamy scene with the lovely Eva Green, of course.
Best part of the movie for me

Quote:
2. You have to turn the volume up to hear the dialog. ...On this one.
I ended up using subtitles. I couldn't handle the surrounds way too hot for my liking

Quote:
3. True, @ that volume level the surrounds become overwhelming.
There wasn't a good balance in the mix

Quote:
-> The Blu-ray audio soundtrack is mastered that way.
Who ever mixed it must of been hard of hearing
post #50 of 56 Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Finally got around to watching 300:Rise of an Empire in 2D. Both me and my wife thought the pq and aq were top notch. Eva Green's performance in this movie was fantastic.
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.

Cheers from the Great White North.
My gear: ANTHEM AVM50v, STATEMENT A5 - ARCAM DV139, CD17 - PANASONIC 65VT30 (THX Calibrated) - SONY BDP-S5000ES - PANAMAX 5500EX - M&K V1250THX sub - TANNOY EYRIS DC3, DCC, DC1 - AUDIOQUEST Cables - SHUNYATA RESEARCH Power cords - HARMONY One - PRIMACOUSTIC Recoil Stabilizers
post #51 of 56 Old 07-23-2014, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Hi Ralph

The wife and I loved it and found it a good successor to the first. As for the audio and video it added to the immersion!
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #52 of 56 Old 07-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Just saw it. Better than expected! Not as good as original, but nice sequel (part prequel).

The surround were very active, but for this one I liked it! Dialogue for me was not a concern on my 5.1 system. Visuals were ridiculous, I saw this in 2D.

Overall recommeneded.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #53 of 56 Old 08-16-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm going to have to check this one out.
post #54 of 56 Old 08-16-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 132
A bit redundent (ramming repeatedly, dialogue break, ram again, break, etc.) but I found it enjoyable. The 3D conversion was effective and I doubt I'll ever watch it in 2D. No audio issues at all (on a 5.1 system). Target is selling it for 19.99 (with another 5% off using their card) and the disc is worth it at that price.i
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #55 of 56 Old 08-16-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I just re-watched it again (in 3D) night before last. ...Yes, Eva, she steals the show. ...All the guys I just don't care for. ...My girlfriend does.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #56 of 56 Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Saw the movie. There was no money for a decent cast. Was not much of a story, has probably very little to do with historic facts. The look of the movie was on another level, very impressive.

I am really not much of a Zack Snyder fan. He should leave the story telling and directing to others. Sucker Punch tells you everything you need to know about Snyder..
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sucker-punch-2010/
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
300 rise of an empire 3d blu ray , frontpage
Gear in this thread - 300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page