Noah (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

Old 07-09-2014, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It's unfortunate that for as long as Aronofsky worked on getting this film made that he couldn't be more faithful to the source material.

The final product has enough artistic liberties taken to sink the boat the film is about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies758 View Post
It's unfortunate that for as long as Aronofsky worked on getting this film made that he couldn't be more faithful to the source material.

The final product has enough artistic liberties taken to sink the boat the film is about.
I'm reminded of a joke Woody Allen told when he did standup, the reason he divorced his wife, she would sneak into the bathroom when he was taking a bath and sink his boats.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
I ended up watching this a couple days ago. have to say, I'm not really sure who this movie would appeal to. I tend to avoid trailers once I've 'decided' to watch a movie, and I had only the expectation of this movie being an 'epic' audio/visual experience.

putting myself in the shoes of a religious person, it seemed bordering on offensive. if there was a 'message' in the movie(and I guess it changes at the end), it certainly didn't seem like a good one. it just felt like there was a lot of unnecessary 'internal struggles'.

now, from my own, non-religious point of view, it was just a downright terrible movie. the a/v presentation was fine, but I actually stopped partway through the movie(after the 5th time I checked to see how much time was left) to take a break and waste time online. I actually debated whether or not it was worth watching the last 25mins. without giving away any specifics(hopefully it's not considered a spoiler to mention that there was a flood, and an ark built ) it almost seemed like the flood happened too early into the movie, and they spent too much time being terrible ppl while on the ark. I like movies where I can get behind a character and root for them. I found myself hating noah more than anybody else in this movie.

so again, I'm not really sure who the intended audience was, but it seemed to stray too far from the traditional story to be enjoyed by the more religious individuals, yet I found they made the movie pretty boring and overly 'in your face' dramatic instead of action packed. you'd think the story of a world-wide flood that 'resets' all life on earth would be dramatic enough, but they had to add in so many other character developments and plot lines, I just wanted it to be over after an hour.
bulls, StinDaWg and Done Deal DR like this.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I think I'll pass on this one. I was hoping that this would be an epic movie that was faithful to the Bible yet was able to add modern filming and CGI techniques to make it truly something special. By the sounds of it, it is so loosely related to the Bible and borderline irreverent that I can't justify supporting it with my wallet. Sucks because I really like Emma Watson. Once again, thanks for the review, Ralph. It helped me make my decision for sure.
Romans828 likes this.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1263 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
I think I'll pass on this one. I was hoping that this would be an epic movie that was faithful to the Bible yet was able to add modern filming and CGI techniques to make it truly something special. By the sounds of it, it is so loosely related to the Bible and borderline irreverent that I can't justify supporting it with my wallet. Sucks because I really like Emma Watson. Once again, thanks for the review, Ralph. It helped me make my decision for sure.
"Modern filming and CGI techniques" don't exactly give me the warm fuzzies either and they're not always "something special." Michael Bay and just about every Marvel or DC Comics summer movie keeps popping into my mind when I think this.

And yet... who's interpretation of this story are they going to be faithful toward? There are actually quite a lot of flood like, Wrath Of [insert your favorite deity here] tales from around the world with Noah-ish protagonists. They were going towards the mythological telling of this epic. Hollywood has to put in a name that English speakers may know and yet appeal to a worldwide audience for the biggest cash advantage. They're in a no win situation because with anything remotely religious, you're going to end up offending someone somewhere.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 07-10-2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I wouldn't call myself a religious person. Perhaps more spiritual. At first I was worried this was some heavy handed, "BE A CHRISTIAN! SAVE YOUR SOUL!" type of movie, Then I remembered Aronofsky was directing it and Russell Crowe was in it. Neither scream bible thumping, God fearing men to me. Everything I've heard suggest it is respectful to religion (as I feel it should be) yet not alienating to non Christians. I never had the chance to see it in the theater but I did see a clip, I think a scene where Noah was explaining the creation and evolution of the universe. I thought it was vsually stunning and I really enjoyed how they weaved scientific theory in with religion. That alone increased my interest ten fold.

Thanks for the review Ralph!

Old 07-10-2014, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Ralph, thanks for the heads up. I might watch this when its on Netflix but certainly would not buy a film on blue ray like this. I am surprised how many people take these movies as "gospel" after the entirety of the Gibson "Passion" film which was a feast for the eyes and terribly inaccurate or rather overly polarized. It is hard to do Bible movies with accuracy and of course we continue to engage and enjoy films that exaggerate or distort Greek and Roman mythos stories. I guess entertainment "wow" comes before any concept of accuracy. I think both can be done with good writing and directing but its a lost art of sorts.
Ralph Potts and Lee Weber like this.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Thanks for the review, Ralph!

I'll be picking this up based on your review comments, those nice audio/video scores, and the actors involved. I've heard the story many times but it won't disappoint me terribly if it's not exactly the same as I've heard before. Looking forward to some serious blu-ray spin with this...
Ralph Potts likes this.

oz
Old 07-10-2014, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Greetings,

My thanks to everyone that has commented thus far. I figured this review would generate some discussion and differing opinion. I have no problem with that provided that adherence to the forum rules, thread topic and proper decorum are maintained.

As I have said before, you guys are the best..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 07-10-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 34
The people at Answers in Genesis have probably done as much research in regard to the events in the book of Genesis as anyone on the planet (including the story of Noah). Below is their review of the film:

https://answersingenesis.org/noahs-a...tailed-review/

Also, below is a link to an article about the similarities between the Biblical account of the flood and the Gilgamesh story:

https://answersingenesis.org/creatio...ancient-myths/
superleo likes this.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Perhaps this post could had been left out. However, I felt compelled to comment on that a member had mentioned previously that the movie is based not only in the Biblical text but also has some interpretation from the Gilgamesh tablets. This is nothing further from the truth. The writer and co-writer even made statements about being based and adhere to the "essence" of the Biblical text (paraphrasing). There go, again my disagreement for the movie being title "Noah".

Romans828, thanks for the link to the explanation and contrast review on the movie and the history and facts about the Gilgamesh tablets -- great insight.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post
Perhaps this post could had been left out. However, I felt compelled to comment on that a member had mentioned previously that the movie is based not only in the Biblical text but also has some interpretation from the Gilgamesh tablets. This is nothing further from the truth. The writer and co-writer even made statements about being based and adhere to the "essence" of the Biblical text (paraphrasing). There go, again my disagreement for the movie being title "Noah".

Romans828, thanks for the link to the explanation and contrast review on the movie and the history and facts about the Gilgamesh tablets -- great insight.
However, that was not a particularly objective and unbiased site for historical context and information. It's basically preaching to the choir rather than looking at the Bible and other mythological and historical information from a neutral, scholarly approach. I avoid those kinds of sites like the plague... such as MSNBC and Fox.
tjenkins95 likes this.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
However, that was not a particularly objective and unbiased site for historical context and information. It's basically preaching to the choir rather than looking at the Bible and other mythological and historical information from a neutral, scholarly approach. I avoid those kinds of sites like the plague... such as MSNBC and Fox.
Below is a link to a more detailed and "scholarly" article on that subject. Note that this consists of a series of articles... so you have to click the "Next Article" link at the bottom of each page to get the full discussion.

https://answersingenesis.org/the-flo.../introduction/
Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
Below is a link to a more detailed and "scholarly" article on that subject. Note that this consists of a series of articles... so you have to click the "Next Article" link at the bottom of each page to get the full discussion.

https://answersingenesis.org/the-flo.../introduction/
Nothing against you personally, but at the bottom of the site is this blurb: Answers in Genesis is an apologetics ministry, dedicated to helping Christians defend their faith and proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ effectively. We focus on providing answers to questions about the Bible—particularly the book of Genesis—regarding key issues such as creation, evolution, science, and the age of the earth.

With a link to the Creation Museum.

I just don't buy the "scholarly" adjective here. Sorry.
bulls and Nodscene like this.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 703
I can't decide if I should bother with this one. The reviews are so mixed, but the AV ratings are quite good! What ever these rock creatures are they sound like they ruin the story. If you ask me, the biblical account sure could make for a fantastic story. There was unctrollable murder, impressive boat building, animals, flood and death, and re-establishment of civilization. I haven't seen it, so maybe the movie does contain all this, but by all accounts I've read it doesn't seem so. I'll see if my wife is interested by really thinking of passing, unfortunately.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Nothing against you personally, but at the bottom of the site is this blurb: Answers in Genesis is an apologetics ministry, dedicated to helping Christians defend their faith and proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ effectively. We focus on providing answers to questions about the Bible—particularly the book of Genesis—regarding key issues such as creation, evolution, science, and the age of the earth.

At the risk of over stepping the "no religious talk" rules on this forum, I'd also be inclined to suggest that answeringenesis has weak scientific arguments in their apologetics. And I'm saying that as a Christian. There are much better science Christian resources. I'll refrain from mentioning them given the forum rules.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Hey folks...WORLD WAR Z had nothing in common with the book it was based on either. The movie SODOM & GOMORRAH wasn't exactly faithful to the source material either. Hell, even THOR never wears his iconic helmet (and many comic book movies are less than faithful to their sources). These are MOVIES, and NOT documentaries. Heck, even the story of the birth of Christ varies within the Bible. So I'm not bothered if a movie strays from its basis. Whether the movie entertains or not carries more weight for me.

Last edited by cinema13; 07-10-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Hey folks...WORLD WAR Z had nothing in common with the book it was based on either. The movie SODOM & GOMORRAH wasn't exactly faithful to the source material either. Hell, even THOR never wears his iconic helmet (and many comic book movies are less than faithful to their sources). These are MOVIES, and NOT documentaries. Heck, even the story of the birth of Christ varies within the Bible. So I'm not bothered if a movie strays from its basis. Whether the movie entertains or not carries more weight for me.
The small difference here would be like making a movie about WWII where the French are the ones going over Japan... just as an example.
Romans828 likes this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethean View Post
I wouldn't call myself a religious person. Perhaps more spiritual. At first I was worried this was some heavy handed, "BE A CHRISTIAN! SAVE YOUR SOUL!" type of movie, Then I remembered Aronofsky was directing it and Russell Crowe was in it. Neither scream bible thumping, God fearing men to me. Everything I've heard suggest it is respectful to religion (as I feel it should be) yet not alienating to non Christians. I never had the chance to see it in the theater but I did see a clip, I think a scene where Noah was explaining the creation and evolution of the universe. I thought it was vsually stunning and I really enjoyed how they weaved scientific theory in with religion. That alone increased my interest ten fold.

Thanks for the review Ralph!
if only the other 90mins were as interesting...

I also enjoyed that part, and I also find it intriguing when 'science' and 'religion' can agree. the Noah story is definitely one of those cases.

but they missed imo. too much character development imo. and yet at the same time, I never felt like I understood any of the characters either...
Old 07-10-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
At the risk of over stepping the "no religious talk" rules on this forum, I'd also be inclined to suggest that answeringenesis has weak scientific arguments in their apologetics. And I'm saying that as a Christian. There are much better science Christian resources. I'll refrain from mentioning them given the forum rules.
You are discounting someones work just for where is posted, instead of actually going over it. It is a complete research with extensive sources and documentation. But you know... That is why I love this country... We are free to express our opinion.

I can't recall exactly when and for what specific movie, but not to long ago someone questioned Ralph's credentials as a movie expert...sorry Ralph but just to make a point. Truth be told that Ralph is a true professional.
Romans828 likes this.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I can't decide if I should bother with this one. The reviews are so mixed, but the AV ratings are quite good! What ever these rock creatures are they sound like they ruin the story. If you ask me, the biblical account sure could make for a fantastic story. There was unctrollable murder, impressive boat building, animals, flood and death, and re-establishment of civilization. I haven't seen it, so maybe the movie does contain all this, but by all accounts I've read it doesn't seem so. I'll see if my wife is interested by really thinking of passing, unfortunately.
Spoiler!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Meh, I didn't really have any desire to see this any of the times I caught a glimpse of it on TV or in ads... ...Then you mentioned that it has Jennifer Connelly in it...

-Suntan
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Meh, I didn't really have any desire to see this any of the times I caught a glimpse of it on TV or in ads... ...Then you mentioned that it has Jennifer Connelly in it...

-Suntan
Greetings,

I knowwwww.......!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post
The small difference here would be like making a movie about WWII where the French are the ones going over Japan... just as an example.
In 2010 there were an estimated 2.18 billion Christians around the world, nearly a third of the global population. In contrast, I bet there aren't many people that believe that Thor or Zeus actually exist. That's why this is different. Many people view this as a historical event while Zeus and Thor are viewed as science fiction. Thor and Zeus = Captain Kirk... Noah = Pearl Harbor.
superleo likes this.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

You realize that you are equally biased for condemning their evidence without investigation simply because they are a Christian site.

The reason people of faith get upset when movies twist the Bible is because we take the Bible quite literally as gospel truth. But nobody generally gets upset when Greek/Roman/Babylonian/Etc. mythology is twisted because nobody (or at least a very few) people take those stories as important to an eternal destiny.
superleo and Romans828 like this.

Last edited by DanLW; 07-10-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 75
eh... yeah, I'll watch it.. at the least for the visuals ( i LOVE incredible eye-candy) even if the movie is only so-so.

I dont expect it to be true to the Bible version of this story, as was said, it would only be 20 mins long! On the other hand, I dont expect a Peter Jackson style LOTR take on such an iconic story either... we'll see. Can't be any worse than Elektra or After Earth. When I finished After Earth, I was genuinely mad.. really upset at the time I wasted. Russel Crowe has yet to bore me or anger me in such a way.. so the benefit of the doubt he and the cast and crew of "Noah" get.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Remember, they used other Noah like stories from mythology, not just the newer Old Testament version in this movie's screenplay. One big influence was, as quite a few scholars point out, the older poem that the Noah story probably sprang from, The Epic of Gilgamesh, which had characters called "watchers" as part of the pantheon of creatures Gilgamesh comes across on his adventures.

They called it Noah because most audience members wouldn't understand what a movie titled Gilgamesh would be about.
Thats what I thought originally that it was the epic of gilgamesh that they just called "Noah" I cant believe I'm the only one that wanted Hermione to start flying around! Did they have tailors in the epic because their clothes although sewn together are quite tailored for the actors. That drew me out of the film. At least Heston wore robes.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Anyone catch this in 3d and was the 3d useful for this kind of film? I see we are not getting a 3d release, but Germany is, so not sure if this is worth an import.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLW View Post
The reason people of faith get upset when movies twist the Bible is because we take the Bible quite literally as gospel truth.
Hate to be pedantic here, but by definition, the story of Noah is not "gospel truth" seeing as it is part of the Old Testament.

In fact, I can't say as I've ever met a "devout Christian" that insisted on claiming the Old Testament should be taken 100% literally. This is usually the perview of the Jews, and even they do not claim that everything in the Torah is literal. For example, I do not believe the Jewish faith proclaims the story of Noah to be 100% literal. Likewise, I do not believe the Catholic church officially endorses the story of Noah to have happened as it was literally written in the Old Testament. If some of the 41,000 smaller Christian denominations outside of the Catholic church do teach it as a literal event that happened though, I could not comment on those.

In any case, did I mention that Jennifer Connelly would look hot even in a bulky hazmat suit?

-Suntan

Last edited by Suntan; 07-10-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
Hate to be pedantic here, but by definition, the story of Noah is not "gospel truth" seeing as it is part of the Old Testament.

In fact, I can't say as I've ever met a "devout Christian" that insisted on claiming the Old Testament should be taken 100% literally. This is usually the perview of the Jews, and even they do not claim that everything in the Torah is literal. For example, I do not believe the Jewish faith proclaims the story of Noah to be 100% literal. Likewise, I do not believe the Catholic church officially endorses the story of Noah to have happened as it was literally written in the Old Testament. If some of the 41,000 smaller Christian denominations outside of the Catholic church do teach it as a literal event that happened though, I could not comment on those.

In any case, did I mention that Jennifer Connelly would look hot even in a bulky hazmat suit?

-Suntan

Some good reading for you....

https://answersingenesis.org/genesis...teral-genesis/
superleo likes this.

Tags
frontpage