99Likes

post #121 of 157 Old 07-31-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 363
I watched it last night. ...Two and half stars from me (out of five). ...Picture & Sound quality are fine, which is good (I'm not a big fan of superficial CGI effects and fabricated sounds).

Forget the bible and watch it only for pure entertainment. ...It might "rock" your "ship" more than it did to me.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 157 Old 08-01-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I'm looking forward to the sequel: Noah vs. Optimus Prime.

In this one, Noah dreams that Michael Bay has ordered him to build an Autobot and go on a rampage across the land, burning Bibles as he goes. Shia LeBeouf plays the son of the twins (yes, both of them).

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!
thehun likes this.
post #123 of 157 Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post
What was really disturbing was the fact that Noah was so intent upon killing babies. When did God say to do so?
I'm not looking to spark any kind of religious debate or anything and I certainly don't want to offend anyone but from my take on the movie (which I watched last night) I think he was making his interpretation of god's message and running with it. Although this is clearly a work of fiction I don't think this is much of a stretch considering the millions of people in history that have been killed in god's name, probably from some interpretation of what someone thought "God" wanted. And that type of killing continues every day since.
cajieboy and cardoski like this.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

post #124 of 157 Old 08-01-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If God wanted to end the human race, then why would he Have Noah et al get on the Ark in the first place?

Killing the babies is just another example of the sick and depraved things humans do in the name of what they think God wants them to do. No reason, and no excuse.

There is a formula for age: Half plus 7. if you are 40, half is 20 plus 7=27.

You can date as young as 27, younger, and you are a creep

Noah could theoretically gone as young as 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Supposedly, God wanted to end the human race, or at least that's how Noah interpreted his dreams. I guess he was worried that when the girls grew up, their uncle would impregnate them. I suppose if Noah was 600 years old, his youngest son probably wasn't more than like 157, so the relative age difference wouldn't be that much of a factor.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 08-01-2014 at 04:32 PM.
post #125 of 157 Old 08-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

I could not agree more, whether Muslims today, or Christians 400 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
I'm not looking to spark any kind of religious debate or anything and I certainly don't want to offend anyone but from my take on the movie (which I watched last night) I think he was making his interpretation of god's message and running with it. Although this is clearly a work of fiction I don't think this is much of a stretch considering the millions of people in history that have been killed in god's name, probably from some interpretation of what someone thought "God" wanted. And that type of killing continues every day since.
post #126 of 157 Old 08-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

I know I am getting OT, but why, in 3 tries spending zillions could we not get one decent movie regarding transformers?

Quote:
I'm looking forward to the sequel: Noah vs. Optimus Prime.

In this one, Noah dreams that Michael Bay has ordered him to build an Autobot and go on a rampage across the land, burning Bibles as he goes. Shia LeBeouf plays the son of the twins (yes, both of them).

Damn it Chloe, we're running out of time. Use the not a computer device!
post #127 of 157 Old 08-01-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
If God wanted to end the human race, then why would he Have Noah et al get on the Ark in the first place?

Killing the babies is just another example of the sick and depraved things humans do in the name of what they think God wants them to do. No reason, and no excuse.

There is a formula for age: Half plus 7. if you are 40, half is 20 plus 7=27.

You can date as young as 27, younger, and you are a creep

Noah could theoretically gone as young as 307
There is another, more realistic formula: 3 X income. This is where you lie about your income, which in turn allows you to bypass the age formula.

Also, if the one you're dating does not think you're a creep, f everyone else!

post #128 of 157 Old 08-01-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
I know I am getting OT, but why, in 3 tries spending zillions could we not get one decent movie regarding transformers?
Because the subject matter (and the source) make that practically impossible. Same holds true for SCOOBY-DO. (Which they are rebooting. *sigh*) As the saying goes, "You can't polish a...."

post #129 of 157 Old 08-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is another, more realistic formula: 3 X income. This is where you lie about your income, which in turn allows you to bypass the age formula.

Also, if the one you're dating does not think you're a creep, f everyone else!

Income is a variable that is integrated with the original formula. Physical fitness is as well.

The main impact of income is it effect the type of women you can get. I don't mean personality/character/integrity/ability to love/give, as gold diggers are lacking these qualities to begin with.

I am talking about aesthetics. Money will get you a more beautiful woman. That is its primary impact, secondary, yes, it will allow you to date younger. But there are still fundamentals that do not change much.

For example, generational issues. I am 52, my wife is 37. The other day, a song came on the radio. I asked my wife "can you tell me what band is this?" She replied, "oh I don't know?" I said "I will give you a hint, it is the greatest rock and roll band of all time." Of course, that was a giveaway, the obvious answer was Led Zeppelin. Anyone breathing in the 60's/70's would know that fact. The Beatles was as close as she got. I then said "just you stay pretty."

So, as a general rules, even if you go by he half plus 7 rule, The max is 17 years total. And that is if you are physically fit, and well off financially. If you are really really well off, IE rich the absolute max is 20 years.
post #130 of 157 Old 08-02-2014, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I watched the movie last night and thought that the cinematography and audio was very good.
Since this is a Darren Aronofsky movie I was not surprised by the animation and Rock dudes!

Except for Noah, I think most of the character expositions were weak and it seemed like a waste to cast some very fine actors and not give them much to do. I thought that Anthony Hopkins looked pretty good for a playing a 969 year old Methuselah!!

Thanks again Ralph for a fine review!

Stewart Firehawk G3 92" screen
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 5030 UB
Denon AVR-4311CI - 7.1 surround sound setup
Denon AVR-X5200W
Blu-Ray: Panasonic DMP-BDT360, Oppo 93 & 103
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61
post #131 of 157 Old 08-06-2014, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Watched this movie last night, right after the reboot of RoboCop. Two disappointing movies in one night.. why?!

The screenplay was rather boring, I was rarely engaged with the film, I found the sub-plot of killing the newborns disturbing and unnecessary. Some of the cinematography was OK, the rapid comicbook style animations was kinda lame, the CGI of the animals looks like it came from 10 or 15 years ago. Audio was good however.

Overall, I'd give the Audio a high score, video quality too. The color saturation and use of high contrast was visually pleasing. However the movie itself, is a solid 4/10.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #132 of 157 Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I saw it via DirecTV. Very compressed audio. 16 x 9 ??? What's with that? Video OK. Movie was mildly entertaining. As for it's relationship to the Biblical account: Great in some cases, not so much in others. The lousy audio notwithstanding, I'm glad I rented instead of buying.

R 8:28

post #133 of 157 Old 08-06-2014, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

While I agree with you the thought of killing babies is sick, it is no sicker than the story in the Bible of God allegedly asking Abraham to killl his son as a sacrifice to God and sending an Angel to stop Abraham just before he commits the act. Religion is sick whether its Judisim, Christianity or Islam. And, no, I am not an athiest; I just think religion is fake and full of dogma and rituals.
post #134 of 157 Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I saw it via DirecTV. Very compressed audio. 16 x 9 ??? What's with that? Video OK. Movie was mildly entertaining. As for it's relationship to the Biblical account: Great in some cases, not so much in others. The lousy audio notwithstanding, I'm glad I rented instead of buying.
The OAR was 1.85:1, 1.77:1 wouldn't have been much of a compromise.
post #135 of 157 Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
The OAR was 1.85:1, 1.77:1 wouldn't have been much of a compromise.
Well that would certainly explain it. I'm quite surprised that a movie of this type would be filmed in anything but 2.x - but what do I know??

post #136 of 157 Old 08-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I added this to my queue in Netflix. Great review!
Ralph Potts likes this.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #137 of 157 Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Ralph: watched it the other night since there is nothing on tv during the summer.. Being a big Russell Crow fan, I enjoyed the picture with a bonus of great sound and picture quality..Don't care about commenting on religion, just watched a master actor (Gladiator, Cinderella Man, American Gangster,etc)..

Matt

post #138 of 157 Old 08-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The ones with anti religious opinion are usually in the majority when just a whiff of religion is referred to in any thread. Those anti religious sentiments are typically so knee jerk, strong and unyielding as to become its own religion in effect. But no fools they. No way are they going to target those words at the Muslim religion because of potential life and limb repercussions. Far safer targets are those religions with a live and let live and forgiveness world view.
audioguy and jhughy2010 like this.
post #139 of 157 Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post
The ones with anti religious opinion are usually in the majority when just a whiff of religion is referred to in any thread. Those anti religious sentiments are typically so knee jerk, strong and unyielding as to become its own religion in effect. But no fools they. No way are they going to target those words at the Muslim religion because of potential life and limb repercussions. Far safer targets are those religions with a live and let live and forgiveness world view.
Lets unpack what you just said: If someone is opposed to killing a newborn baby, they are knee "jerk" and "anti religious."

And please clarify, how does this^ morph into a religion itself?

And what religion has a "live and let live and forgiveness world view?"

Is it the one that throws people into a lake of fire to burn for eternity?
gbaby likes this.
post #140 of 157 Old 08-09-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 398
This film is fabulous in 3d. Glad I saw it that way. Hard to believe it wasn't native. Very happy I imported it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #141 of 157 Old 08-10-2014, 04:48 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Looking forward in finally watching Noah tonight 😃
post #142 of 157 Old 08-10-2014, 09:25 AM
CIH USER

I didn't mind this I actually enjoyed it. Thanks for review Ralph
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #143 of 157 Old 08-14-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched from DirecTV and while the picture was OK, the sound really sucked. It should be a law that in order to watch any kind of action movie, the source must include the best audio and video possible - which excludes a lot of sources. The diminished audio really took away from the movie.

post #144 of 157 Old 08-14-2014, 05:55 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I watched from DirecTV and while the picture was OK, the sound really sucked. It should be a law that in order to watch any kind of action movie, the source must include the best audio and video possible - which excludes a lot of sources. The diminished audio really took away from the movie.
What is DirecTv?
post #145 of 157 Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
What is DirecTv?

Greetings,

Frank, Direct TV is a satellite TV service.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #146 of 157 Old 08-15-2014, 10:24 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Frank, Direct TV is a satellite TV service.

Regards,
Oh ok. Thanks Ralph. I guess the quality is not good as Blu ray?
post #147 of 157 Old 08-22-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
This film is fabulous in 3d. Glad I saw it that way. Hard to believe it wasn't native. Very happy I imported it.
The conversions are getting so good I can't tell which is which anymore. I enjoyed this in 3D also. My better half and I are watching just about everything in 3D now converted by the Teranex -- Game of Thrones, The Killing, House of Cards, The Americans and on and on. I'm now a hardcore 3D guy -- an endangered specie. Time for the world governments to act and pass laws to protect us.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #148 of 157 Old 08-23-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
The conversions are getting so good I can't tell which is which anymore. I enjoyed this in 3D also. My better half and I are watching just about everything in 3D now converted by the Teranex -- Game of Thrones, The Killing, House of Cards, The Americans and on and on. I'm now a hardcore 3D guy -- an endangered specie. Time for the world governments to act and pass laws to protect us.
Greetings,

Ya gotta love it..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #149 of 157 Old 08-25-2014, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Watched Noah last night via bluray redbox rental.

My 3 kids ages 12/10/8 and my wife.
Long movie, mostly kept the kids interest, my 12 year old understands taking biblical story and it being told differently.

Spoiler!

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

Last edited by mtbdudex; 08-25-2014 at 03:59 AM.
post #150 of 157 Old 08-25-2014, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking at it from either a religious view or pure entertainment it sucked ....
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page