93Likes

post #1 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Noah (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Academy Award Winner Russell Crowe stars as Noah in the film inspired by the timeless story of courage, sacrifice and hope. Also starring Emma Watson and Academy Award Winners Anthony Hopkins and Jennifer Connolly, this visually stunning, action-packed adventure from acclaimed director Darren Aronofsky.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 137 minutes
Genre: Drama/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Russell Crowe, Jennifer Connelly, Emma Watson, Ray Winstone, Logan Lerman, Anthony Hopkins
Directed by: Darren Aronofsky
Music by: Clint Mansell
Written by: Darren Aronofsky & Ari Handel
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 29, 2014

"The end of the world is just the beginning"

My Take:

My first glimpse of the trailer for Noah left me in a bit of a quandary. As a fan of epic biblical stories brought to the big screen (as well as always being intrigued by the story of Noah and the great flood) I was immediately interested in the subject matter however as a person of faith I was a bit turned off by what appeared to be an action/thriller that featured Noah in a light that didn’t seem befitting or respectful. I opted to wait for it to come to home video despite my son having seen it and giving it a lukewarm recommendation. It arrived yesterday and the whole family (my wife, son and daughter) sat down to watch with me.

Co-written by director Darren Aronofsky and Ari Handel [i]Noah] won’t be mistaken for a strict interpretation derived from the biblical text. It incorporates Aromofsky’s signature grandiose visual flair with a vaguely reverent retelling that eschews overt religious underpinnings in favor of an action conscious melodrama fantasy. Here God is referred to as the “creator” and there are no references to his direct contact with Noah. The early stages of the story swiftly establish a correlation between the past events; creation, Adam/Eve/the garden of Eden, their fall from grace and Cain & Abel, coming to rest in the present with Noah and his family who are the sole descendants of Seth, and remaining faithful to the creator. There are references to miracles however they are derived from an elder earthly being (Noah’s great grandfather) with no real explanation of his status/connection with respect to the almighty. The inclusion of the “Watchers”, celestial beings of sorts, were an odd choice but I found their presence less bothersome than I initially thought.

At times I was completely immersed in the dramatic elements of the story but there were instances where the narrative runs a ground by diverting to popcorn style entertainment that didn’t seem to coincide with the thematic tone or breadth of the film’s context. The primary example of this is the film’s antagonist/villain, a character of the cookie cutter variety whose interjection feels out of place at nearly every turn. What I found rewarding was the depiction of the struggle faced by Noah as well as his family to fulfill the wishes of the creator and inevitably what that would mean. I had to separate myself from what I knew about Noah as coming back to that made portions of the film incredulous.

Noah is probably more unconventional than not but in a good way I suppose as it plies us with familial subtext, spiritual meaning and ambitious execution. The production elements are excellent although the extensive use of CGI could draw some viewers out of the story (as it did with my wife). I thought that the performances by the primary members of the cast, notably Jennifer Connolly, Russell Crowe and Emma Watson were very good. Noah turned out to be exactly what I expected based on both the trailer and my son’s critique. It’s an ambitious, visually engaging film that while entertaining, fails to truly capture the inherent scope of its subject matter.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, disturbing images and brief suggestive content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element):

Video: 100
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Noah comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This film intentionally uses muted colors and uneven lighting to depict its world. Deep defining blacks and revealing details in low lit backgrounds and shadows provide excellent depth and gradational highlights to the film’s pervading darkened sequences. Detail is characterized by intricate and transparent imagery that has three dimensionality and defining resolution. This was the case in all but a few instances where definition softened slightly. I suspect that this was more than likely innate to the photography rather than related to the encoding. The film’s lighting/filtering kept fleshtones looking a bit flat and lacking in distinctiveness but this was in line with its stylized aesthetic which was fine. I thought that the creative choices made regarding the visual style of this film were right on target. It looked absolutely stunning.

The 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is outstanding and truly enhances the film’s overall presentation. This is a dynamically charged surround mix that features high level detail, superlative clarity, and rich, room filling surround sound that doesn’t disappoint. This is sophisticated sound design that incorporates a vast number of sound effects that are intricately mixed to engage the listening position. Superb imaging and channel separation draw out both large and small sounds and allow their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable within the room’s acoustic boundaries. This is not an ostentatious audio presentation per se but it definitively offers powerful dynamics and deep bass extension that produces smooth, palpably rich low frequencies that occasionally reach the type of room energizing levels that bass lovers can get excited about. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or tonal inflection of voices. I found this to be an entertaining home theater presentation that is tailor made for enthusiasts that demand the best from their surround sound systems.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Iceland: Extreme Beauty – 20 minute featurette
  • (HD) The Ark Exterior: A battle for 300 cubits – 19 minute featurette
  • (HD) The Ark Interior: Animals two by two – 19 minute featurette
  • Bonus DVD
  • Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Director/co-writer Darren Aronofsky’s unconventional vision of the biblical story of Noah works on some level but fails to capture the reverence of subject in a meaningfully rewarding way. It comes to Blu-ray from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring superlative high definition audio/video quality coupled with a bland supplemental package that looks behind the scenes at the production. If you are already a fan this release is worth adding to your collection, otherwise Noah is a Blu-ray rental recommendation that will be fun to check out if you enjoy a rewarding home theater experience.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
audioguy and jhughy2010 like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

I know that the rating images are not working. I have notified Admin and hopefully they will resolve soon.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #3 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I know that the rating images are not working. I have notified Admin and hopefully they will resolve soon.

Regards,
As I was hitting refresh 55 times
post #4 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Thanks Ralph for the insight. I have not watched the movie and had no intention on watching it. My wife watched it at the theater and she mentioned that I should try it, she even mention you would like it. I was somewhat put off by the loose adherence to the real story -- My wife kept repeating "its just a movie". And YES, even though is just a movie then the title should had NOT been 'Noah". Sorry for the rambling.

Based on your score and if can freely take as just a movie I'll give it a try.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #5 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 22
didnt have patience to sit thru this at the theater... maybe i'll rent it
for me it felt ... disjointed in its story and presentation- didnt see any purpose in using the cartoon sky with shadow outline helping the story in anyway, and somewhat nonsense... some.. rock transformers helping build a boat ...?!?...seemed to me like an infantile idea

but the sound rating looks good to try it again
post #6 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I thought it was pretty good,very dark and great visuals. Would not recommend for kids, it is one of the scariest and more morbid films I have seen.

James Reid:D

Last edited by cardoski; 07-09-2014 at 09:15 AM.
post #7 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
The big question is... do they say "Javan" in the film?
post #8 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
As a religious man I have heard many in church say that this movie does not follow the story in the Bible very closely. However, I am looking forward to seeing this movie regardless, it looks fun and entertaining and, in my eyes, anytime someone can make a Bible story fun and entertaining for the masses is a good thing.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #9 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 119
The rock creatures (Watchers) reminded me of the trees from LOTR, and I could not get past that for the rest of the film. The self proclaimed "king" was basically Dr. Evil. And Noahs son was no better than the people killed by the flood.

Since he survived, what was the point of wiping everyone out?

I also had an issue with the implication of incest (how else to repopulate the world), but I guess that's not the fault of the movie.

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 07-09-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
post #10 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Please be mindful when posting revealing plot details that spoiler tags should be used. Thanks.

Regards,
Five28 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
"I was somewhat put off by the loose adherence to the real story" uhhh so now this is a real story? Wasnt Noah a magical age of 900? The movie seems pretty "real" to me! I just wished Hermione would've done some spells! She fits right in with all the other "magic" goin on!
cajieboy, StinDaWg, Djoel and 3 others like this.
post #12 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Of course if the movie stuck with what was in the Bible it would be 20 minutes long and none of the female characters would have names.
post #13 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpology26 View Post
"I was somewhat put off by the loose adherence to the real story" uhhh so now this is a real story? Wasnt Noah a magical age of 900? The movie seems pretty "real" to me! I just wished Hermione would've done some spells! She fits right in with all the other "magic" goin on!
All I ask if for you to please be respectful. I can respect your opinion if you want to say is based on a myth. Never the less, this story is taken from the Bible and the movie, what we are taking about does not adhere to what story in the Bible says. And BTW Noah was 600 when he constructed the ark and lived to 950.

You don't have to trust me, you can read it your self. Also here is a review of some of the differences from the movie and the actual book.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/m...s-bible-n63926
Five28, slimm, Archaea and 2 others like this.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #14 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
guys please keep in mind we need to respect eachother relative to our comments from a religious perspective. NOT EVERYONE will see eye to eye, so trollish comments will not add to the discussion of the film. On a related note, even though this movie is based on religious context, the overall discussion of religion is still not appropriate for AVS. I realize it's a thin line relative to this or any film based on stories from a specific religion, but when in doubt, it maybe best not to post.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #15 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I thought it was pretty good,very dark and great visuals. Would not recommend for kids, it is one of the scariest and more morbid films I have seen.

Sounds exactly like Sunday school for me at 5-7 years old

Djoel
Five28, fitbrit and cardoski like this.
post #16 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
Of course if the movie stuck with what was in the Bible it would be 20 minutes long and none of the female characters would have names.
Just a comment about the story it self. The director/writer called the movie "Noah" and of course he can call it anything he wants. However, by calling it 'Noah" I would give it the connotation that is based on the Noah story -- as most of us know this story is in the book of the Bible, thus I would imagine it would be base precisely on this story. Then the director disclaims that there are artistic freedoms taking from the original story.

My OPINION; there are other cultures that talk about a flood, and that have similarities with the Bible. As I mentioned, he could had called the movie something else and based it on a mixture of the flood stories. But, and again, My OPINION, if he called it 'Noah" he should had stuck to the real story. And be clear, I not referring to "real" as being true or not -- that is up to the individual -- real as what is actually in the original story.

Going back to Ralph's review -- based on this I'll give it a shot. 96 for audio and 100 for video deserves a look in my Book (pun intended)
ILOVEMYHDTV and Romans828 like this.

post #17 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Noah and the flood can be traced back to its source: the Mesopotamian poem, The Epic of Gilgamesh and that's why Aronofsky's version has the "watchers" from the original original tale. Gilgamesh's adventures were also an inspiration for the Greek epics the Iliad and the Odyssey. The filmmakers blended fantastical elements and characters depicted in the two stories (the Old Testament biblical version of the poem and the mythological Mesopotamian tale) into one screenplay. You can choose to believe it as truth... or not.

This movie is no more "faithful" than a Cecil B. Demille melodrama staring Charlton Heston IMHO. It's supposed to be popcorn entertainment, not a Sunday school recitation. Take it as such. On that level, it's really not that good either.
edved1 likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 07-09-2014 at 12:40 PM.
post #18 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Aronofsky is one of the most over rated directors ever - look at me I'm so talented and I will remind you of this fact in every frame I shoot. His films are unbearable!
bulls likes this.
post #19 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
The rock creatures (Watchers) reminded me of the trees from LOTR, and I could not get past that for the rest of the film. The self proclaimed "king" was basically Dr. Evil. And Noahs son was no better than the people killed by the flood.

Since he survived, what was the point of wiping everyone out?

I also had an issue with the implication of incest (how else to repopulate the world), but I guess that's not the fault of the movie.
I regrettably saw this in theaters. Within the first couple of minutes when those terribly rendered rock creatures came about I knew this movie was going to suck, and it never let off that suck pedal. This movie was not for me.
bulls and ILOVEMYHDTV like this.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #20 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I will give this a look see. If the video and audio are really that great, then I can enjoy the film for entertainment value alone. I didn't like the movie the Great Gatsby all that much but the video I thought was outstanding. I have watched it more than a couple of times just for that, so hopefully Noah will bring that same entertainment value also.

Tux's Elusive 1099 (L/C/R)---Ascend CBM-170 SE (surrounds 9.2)---SVS PB 12 Plus---SVS PC 12 Plus---AVR Denon 4311CI---TV Vizio 70---Unraid 32TB Network Storage---Gateway SX 2370 HTPC with 120 SSD
post #21 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Anyone know the reason why it was shot in 1.85:1 and not 2.35:1 or wider?
post #22 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
For 3D?

post #23 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Please be mindful when posting revealing plot details that spoiler tags should be used. Thanks.

Regards,
Um, OK. I thought by now everyone knew the story of Noah's Ark. My apologies.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #24 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Um, OK. I thought by now everyone knew the story of Noah's Ark. My apologies.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
Greetings,

No worries leebo. There were some specifics in your post that made direct references to elements in the film that weren't necessarily general knowledge or even attributable to the biblical story. Using the tags solves the problem either way..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
Greetings,

Some director's prefer using the Academy Standard unless there is a specific call for wider aspects. I can't say for certain what the case is here.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #26 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 05:30 PM

Liked: 12
Great review,might have to pick this up.
post #27 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post
As a religious man I have heard many in church say that this movie does not follow the story in the Bible very closely. However, I am looking forward to seeing this movie regardless, it looks fun and entertaining and, in my eyes, anytime someone can make a Bible story fun and entertaining for the masses is a good thing.
As a religious man, you should be warned that the "rock creatures" represent fallen angels (demons) in the Bible. They were made out to be good...while Noah and God (The Creator) were portrayed as cold and cruel. Our culture flip flops good and evil a lot these days. I saw this at the IMAX... hoping for an epic Bible movie. It is pathetic from that perspective. Had they left out any kind of Bible connection and called this "Attack of the Rock Creatures", it would have been more acceptable.
slimm and bulls like this.
post #28 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans828 View Post
As a religious man, you should be warned that the "rock creatures" represent fallen angels (demons) in the Bible. They were made out to be good...while Noah and God (The Creator) were portrayed as cold and cruel. Our culture flip flops good and evil a lot these days. I saw this at the IMAX... hoping for an epic Bible movie. It is pathetic from that perspective. Had they left out any kind of Bible connection and called this "Attack of the Rock Creatures", it would have been more acceptable.
Remember, they used other Noah like stories from mythology, not just the newer Old Testament version in this movie's screenplay. One big influence was, as quite a few scholars point out, the older poem that the Noah story probably sprang from, The Epic of Gilgamesh, which had characters called "watchers" as part of the pantheon of creatures Gilgamesh comes across on his adventures.

They called it Noah because most audience members wouldn't understand what a movie titled Gilgamesh would be about.
cajieboy and peschiNL like this.

post #29 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Thanks Ralph I'll add this to my collection
post #30 of 147 Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Remember, they used other Noah like stories from mythology, not just the newer Old Testament version in this movie's screenplay. One big influence was, as quite a few scholars point out, the older poem that the Noah story probably sprang from, The Epic of Gilgamesh, which had characters called "watchers" as part of the pantheon of creatures Gilgamesh comes across on his adventures.

They called it Noah because most audience members wouldn't understand what a movie titled Gilgamesh would be about.
I think that a lot of people were hoping for something like the classic Ten Commandments film (Moses/Charlton Heston) with modern day special effects. The fact that they named the film Noah basically marketed it toward a Christian audience.

If you look at Rotten tomatoes, 77% of critics liked it but only 45% of the audience liked it:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/noah_2014/

I know that a lot of Christians went to this movie and were disappointed by how they twisted the story.
slimm and superleo like this.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page