• 1 Post By Ralph Potts

post #1 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Transcendence (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

A scientist's drive for artificial intelligence, takes on dangerous implications when his consciousness is uploaded to a powerful computer mainframe creating a sentient machine that combines the collective intelligence of everything ever known with the full range of human emotions.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2014
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 119 minutes
Genre: Drama/Sci-fi/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Johnny Depp, Rebecca Hall, Paul Bettany, Morgan Freeman, Kate Mara, Cillian Murphy, Cole Hauser
Directed by: Wally Pfister
Music by: Mychael Danna
Written by: Jack Paglen
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 22, 2014

"What if a new intelligence was born?"

My Take:

In Transcendence, Dr. Will Caster (Johnny Depp) is the foremost researcher in the field of artificial intelligence, working to create a sentient machine that combines the collective intelligence of everything ever known with the full range of human emotions. His highly controversial experiments have made him famous, but they have also made him the prime target of anti-technology extremists who will do whatever it takes to stop him.

However, in their attempt to destroy Will, they inadvertently become the catalyst for him to succeed—to be a participant in his own transcendence. For his wife Evelyn (Rebecca Hall) and best friend Max Waters (Paul Bettany), both fellow researchers, the question is not if they can…but if they should. Their worst fears are realized as Will’s thirst for knowledge evolves into a seemingly omnipresent quest for power, to what end is unknown. The only thing that is becoming terrifyingly clear is there may be no way to stop him.

I sat down to watch Transcendence hoping that what I figured it was shooting for wouldn’t overshadow the innate possibilities of its concept. If you haven’t guessed based upon the synopsis above the film’s theme is meant to be a sort of warning shot regarding our reliance on technology and the potential dangers in the quest for more. The script successfully raises both moral and ethical questions regarding our relationship with computer tech and its evolution but the personal/dramatic elements of the plot fail to derive a tangible connection that give it viable meaning. The multi-genre emphasis without proper foundation, meaning too slow for a thriller, not enough depth for engaging sci-fi, and pallid drama, results in a film that never truly gains traction.

Its message takes center stage and is a bit more pretentious than it should be which when coupled with the watered down narrative left me indifferent. I wanted to like it more than I did although to be fair there were things that I enjoyed about [i] Transcendence[i/]. I think cinematographer turned director Wally Pfister (in his directorial debut) and director of photography Jess Hall did a great job creating the look of the film. The cast is made up of a cache of talented actors that lent credibility to the proceedings, although truth be told Johhny Depp didn’t really have the opportunity to exercise his acting chops.

Transcendence did hold my interest for two hours as wanted to see where it would wind up. When the credits rolled I didn’t necessarily feel cheated but there was little about it that left an indelible impression. Unlike a film that is designed to be “check your brain at the door” entertainment, this was shooting for more than that and missed the mark. I think that looking at it as a more or less one time watch/popcorn flick, will make for a better viewing experience.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for Sci-Fi action and violence, some bloody images, brief strong language and sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): [img] [/img]

Video: 92
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Transcendence comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brother Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

This film looks terrific on Blu-ray Disc and features glossy high definition video quality that exhibit high level detail, refining sharpness and pleasing definition that brings out the lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal as close ups are noticeably revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid-level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional depiction. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and drives whites without washing away detail. Blacks are gradational and deep which makes them pop during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. All in all this is a great looking presentation.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s thematic elements. Mychael Danna’s music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and atmospheric sound effects, plays an intricate role in this sneaky good presentation. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is excellent. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the film’s action based components and orchestrated music. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I thoroughly enjoyed this audio presentation and found that it accentuated the film’s recorded elements.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) What is Transcendence? – 5 minute featurette
  • (HD) Wally Pfister: A singular vision – 3 minute featurette
  • (HD) Guarding the threat – 2 minute featurette
  • (HD) The promise of A.I. – 2 minute featurette
  • (HD) It’s me – 1 minute feature
  • (HD) Singularity – 1 minute feature
  • (HD) R.I.F.T – Faux PSA
  • (HD) 2 trailers
  • Bonus DVD
  • Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Transcendence is a sci-fi/drama/thriller that strives to be illuminating and thought provoking but falls short of the mark due to heavy handed themes and a middling script. Having said that I did find entertainment value in it thanks to its solid production elements and enjoyable cast. It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment in this Blu-ray/Combo Pack that features excellent high definition audio/video and a lackluster supplement set. If you’re curious Transcendence is a decent rental but I wouldn’t recommend it as a blind buy.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
pacman9270 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks! I won't buy it.

Your review is so very timely. I watched the trailer yesterday on M-GO. It looked very interesting. However, curiously, it is only offered for sale, not for rent. I can't remember the cost to own it but it was close to $15. Your review has helped that decision!
post #3 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Watched it at the theater on date night, and my gal and I felt luke warm about it, didn't see anything special about the affects, CGI looked a bit cheap to me, entire movie felt a little Sy-Fi channel.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the excellent review Ralph

DJoel
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #4 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 229
I was looking forward to renting this. The 2.5 rating confirms it will be a rental and nothing more.

It seems like johnny depp has really taken a nose dive with his recent films.
post #5 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 79
C'mon Ralph, take it easy on Scott Wilkinson's favorite movie!

Ralph Potts and yadfgp like this.
post #6 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm in the minority here. What can I say, I really enjoyed it...despite Johnny Depp!
DeadEd, Ralph Potts, slimm and 4 others like this.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #7 of 30 Old 07-10-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post

LOL! That's a good one.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #8 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post
Yeah, yeah, I know I'm in the minority here. What can I say, I really enjoyed it...despite Johnny Depp!
Greetings,

No biggie there Scott. I am glad to hear you enjoyed this one..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is excellent.
Those aspects of the soundtrack really came to life when I saw it at my local Atmos theatre. The mix did a good job of creating an acoustical bubbly around and above me (the first time there is rain in the movie, there is no doubt you're listening to an Atmos soundtrack).

Had been craving some real sci-fi (like Prometheus or Contact, rather than an action-adventure set in the future), and this movie satisfied. Judging from the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes, I'm probably the only person that liked it as much as Scott Wilkinson did.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sanjay
post #10 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
Those aspects of the soundtrack really came to life when I saw it at my local Atmos theatre. The mix did a good job of creating an acoustical bubbly around and above me (the first time there is rain in the movie, there is no doubt you're listening to an Atmos soundtrack).

Had been craving some real sci-fi (like Prometheus or Contact, rather than an action-adventure set in the future), and this movie satisfied. Judging from the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes, I'm probably the only person that liked it as much as Scott Wilkinson did.
Greetings,

The enveloping sound of Will's "voice" as he speaks to Evelyn in her habitat in the underground facility sounds excellent as well.

Regards,
audiofan1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I saw this at my local cinema and the film didn't look so great. I chalk that up to poorly setup for this showing but I am going to rent this again to see how much better the BD presentation will be.

I am also in the minority that I enjoyed this film as well.
Ralph Potts likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #12 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I actually really like the movie despite some of the flaws with character development. I thought it portrayed the message quite well and touched on a subject not well talked about (minus "Her" from Spike Jonze). Could they have developed the transition from human to machine more, better development of the relationships between the main characters...yes...but honestly they were adequate in my opinion. I'd give the movie a 7/10 at least. And the audio was enveloping. Absolutely amazing to me.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Great stuff guys. I am happy to hear from those who got more out of Transcendence. I have added it to my collection and plan on a revisit. Who knows it may just grow on me...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I liked this movie... it is essentially the concern about nanotechnology and nanocomputing/quantum computing and the very strange implications that can occur.

Imagine a supercomputer in a human cell... a sentient cell. This is explored in the book "Blood Music" by Greg Bear.

This movie concept will be lost on many non-science folks but it also is not scientific enough for the actual science folks. This is often the case with science fiction...
Ralph Potts likes this.

Blazar!
post #15 of 30 Old 07-11-2014, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In the Jurassic Park novel, there is a lot of discussion about human wisdom keeping up with technological advances, with the mathematician character explaining the difference between being smart enough to do something but not wise enough to know not to do it. A little bit of that made it into the movie version.

Transcendence explores a similar theme between technology and wisdom by asking what someone smart, even the most caring and mild mannered of us (Depp's character), would do if suddenly given infinite power (but not infinite wisdom to go with it). I found compelling arguments on both sides.

Sanjay
post #16 of 30 Old 07-13-2014, 02:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Well you guys made me want to see this now. I just ordered it.
GOLFVUE3 likes this.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #17 of 30 Old 07-13-2014, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Nice review! Love Johnny Depp and really looking forward to renting this!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #18 of 30 Old 07-13-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well it's nice seeing some positive reviews from others. I had high hopes for this one way back when, but when it came out, unfortunately the majority of the reviews were overwhelmingly bad. I liked Lone Ranger alot and found no real fault in that, I'm hoping the same can be said for this flick.

Thanks to those who chimed in that they liked it.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #19 of 30 Old 07-15-2014, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Well, I watched it last night and liked it. I would have liked more science and less emotional stuff and it could have easily been 4 hours if they explained everything that needed explaining, but I liked it.

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-17-2014, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
In the Jurassic Park novel, there is a lot of discussion about human wisdom keeping up with technological advances, with the mathematician character explaining the difference between being smart enough to do something but not wise enough to know not to do it. A little bit of that made it into the movie version.

Transcendence explores a similar theme between technology and wisdom by asking what someone smart, even the most caring and mild mannered of us (Depp's character), would do if suddenly given infinite power (but not infinite wisdom to go with it). I found compelling arguments on both sides.
funny that you mention the jurassic park reference. I watched it over the weekend for the first time in years, and I thought the conversations involving jeff goldblum's character was the most interesting part.
post #21 of 30 Old 07-20-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I disagree with the technical side of the review. This is a DNRed transfer and does not show the film as presented in theaters. Fine detail is lacking and appearance is oversmoothed and non film like.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So, much like Frozen, I can't help but notice that there is no 3D Blu-ray release of this movie at this time. My suspicion is that both Frozen and Transcendence (as well as any future movies that were shown in 3D and Atmos during the theatrical run but only come out in 2D on Blu-ray) will arrive as Atmos releases before the end of the year with 3D video on board.

Am I way off track, ya think?
post #23 of 30 Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstReflect View Post
Transcendence (as well as any future movies that were shown in 3D and Atmos during the theatrical run...
Transcendence was only shown in 3D theatrically in China.

Sanjay
post #24 of 30 Old 07-20-2014, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post
Watched it at the theater on date night, and my gal and I felt luke warm about it, didn't see anything special about the affects, CGI looked a bit cheap to me, entire movie felt a little Sy-Fi channel.
Yikes! Note that the movie cost $100M... though I suspect more of that went to Johnny Depp's salary than the VFX budget...
Djoel likes this.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-21-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
Yikes! Note that the movie cost $100M... though I suspect more of that went to Johnny Depp's salary than the VFX budget...

Agree.

Djoel
post #26 of 30 Old 07-26-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I liked the movie a lot... somewhat like the "Terminator" series, it outlines a story of the "ascension" of an AI that leads to interesting consequences.

There is nothing in the movie that hasn't been said before regarding nanotechnology + computing + biology + cognitive neuroscience etc.

There really may not be anything impossible about events in this movie. They do take a lot of poetic license as most "science" fiction movies do in order to further the storyline, but the "spirit" of the movie is not hard to understand.

We haven't been able to come ANYWHERE NEAR the neural networks of the human brain in terms of connections with traditional computing power. It is not impossible to "beat" the human brain however. I would imagine it is just as possible to do it biologically as opposed to computer wizardry.

At some level the human race is advancing in cognitive power with every generation in which smart people marry each other. We are bioengineering the entire planet every single day.
Ralph Potts and Miker1 like this.

Blazar!
post #27 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Hi Ralph! This wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be . The video and audio where superb, otherwise it did miss that last degree or two that could've made it great.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #28 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Hi Ralph! This wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be . The video and audio where superb, otherwise it did miss that last degree or two that could've made it great.
Greetings,

Hey Jeff, I am glad to hear you enjoyed this one more than expected. Thanks as always for offering your impressions.

Regards,
audiofan1 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #29 of 30 Old 08-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Just watched this last weekend. Not sure if I liked it or not. Acting seemed uninspired.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #30 of 30 Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quite Enjoyed this Flick, the audio mix sounded fantastic I thought.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page