• 1 Post By sepepper

post #1 of 14 Old 07-19-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Blue Ruin (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

A mysterious outsider's quiet life is turned upside down when he returns to his childhood home to carry out an act of vengeance. Proving himself an amateur assassin, he winds up in a brutal fight to protect his estranged family.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: 2013 Anchor Bay
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Drama, Thriller

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s):
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Macon Blair, Devin Ratray, Amy Hargreaves, Eve Plumb
Directed by: Jeremy Saulnier
Music by: Brooke Blair, Will Blair
Written by: Jeremy Saulnier
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 22th, 2014

"Revenge comes home"

My Take:

Blue Ruin is the story of Dwight, played by Macon Blair in a pitch perfect performance, who is living on the streets, scruffy, broke and going nowhere. We come to find out that he went a bit off the rocker when his parents were killed. The news of the killer being freed causes him to spring to action and he hits the road back home to his estranged sister and to kill the man responsible.

Dwight is an unlikely hero, and there lies the films strength, making him weak and over his head, but he just wont quit. He is a vigilante, we route for him, but we also see the errors in his ways and judgment. The films 90 minute run-time is packed with movie and there is no time for breath as this journey is Dwight he has, so its all we get. No filler, no fluff and it held me riveted until the end.

The supporting cast plays it all solid and and includes Eve Plumb..yes, the original Jan Brady, as well as Devin Ratray (Home Alone) as Dwight's old High School friend. You can tell the people behind Blue Ruin love making movies. It's an Indie that has auteur written all over it. With great shots, great performances and a script that makes the most of its story by slowly changing a man in a way that is subtle but honest, Writer/Director Jeremy Saulnier is someone I will be keeping a close eye on in the future.

Parental Guide: Rated R for strong bloody violence, and language

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 86
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Blue Ruin comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28.8 Mbps and DTS-HD MA lossless that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.[/b]

Blue Ruin is touted as an independent american revenge story. Well its look certainly fits that bill with its natural lighting and colors. Lighting fits the location as we would see it, and in dimly lit passages blacks and shadow details are on the money. Though filmed digitally it look is gritty and real, as is the films sound design. Dialogue is done in a way that if we wouldn't hear his mumbling while being there in person we don't hear it in the mix, however, the needed words come throug as does many of the films folly effects. The sound pops more than expected, and the surround elements create an envelopment claustrophobic mood, fitting the film quite well.

Bonus Features:
  • Feature Commentary With Writer/Director Jeremy Saulnier And Macon Blair
  • (HD) Behind The Scenes Of Blue Ruin
  • (HD) Deleted Scenes
  • (HD) Camera Test

Final Thoughts:

Blue Ruin comes highly recommended, and film buffs will be rewarded with a tightly weaved and intimate slow burn of a story that never lets loose of the tension. The audio and video quality are great and I see replay value in it just to peek more at its subtly and to fall into its engrossing world once more. After finishing my write up I saw that Blue Ruin was funded by a kickstarter campaign and was looking for only $35,000. Wow! How I would rather see films like this then 200 million CGIfest films with no soul. It really makes you think...

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Gamma Maestro 4K 1.1 138" 2.35:1 Acoustically Transparent CinemaScope Screen
Da-Lite Pro Imager Projector Screen Masking System
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Parasound Halo A51 & A21 7x250Sony
BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad Gold LCR's
Triad Silver Surrounds x4
Triad Bronze Subwoofers x4
Panamorph DC1 Anamorphic Lens
AudioQuest Wires

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 3D 1080p Plasma
Anthem MRX-310-AV Receiver
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
Triad Bronze Subwoofer
mo949 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Glad to see this one getting a little attention. I saw it a few weeks ago when Harry Knowles tweeted that it was one of his favorites from the last year. I didn't like it quite as much as he did, but I agree with Lee's rating here. Very effective and engaging from start to finish.

That's really interesting about the Kickstarter thing...I had no idea!
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Glad to see you enjoyed it as well

I just loved how it was filmed, and how it was paced. The story could have become a generic movie, but it was made just right.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Absolutely...some films just have that effect on you where you're just on the edge of your seat wating to see what happens next. It was so well done that that's how I was the entire running time.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Thanks for the review, Lee!

I had never heard of this film before your review, but do believe I'll be checking it out!

oz
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Saw it last night and both my gf and I were totally engaged from start to finish!

G
post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2816 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Thanks Lee, looking forward to view this one.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-21-2014, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Watched this last night. A totally engrossing indie film. Not brilliant, but close. A definite must watch for anyone who says they care about movies.

post #9 of 14 Old 07-21-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I like the choice for the title of the movie, "Blue Ruin". I am from Mississippi and grew up near a farm officially called "Blue Ruin". I learned that this term is derived from a form of alcoholic beverage that Irish immigrants flooding into New York City in the 1800's used to prefer due to its availability-- storebought or homemade-- and it became a sort of generic term of that era for "cheap booze".
Lee Weber likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Liked: 12
For an indie shot on a kick starter shoestring this is an extraordinarily polished movie, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-22-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Watched this last night based on Lee's review. I hadn't heard of it or seen a trailer before but it looked like something I would dig and I did. Much more visceral than I thought it would be. Really a drab portrait of the human condition and the destructive decisions made by an unforgiving, wounded heart. Very well done film but I'm glad I didn't make the missus sit through it

I streamed it via amazon and while overall the PQ was solid it really suffered in the darker scenes which distracted me from the moment.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #12 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 661
Very happy I got to see this one. Well made movie, that if you hadn't told me that it was budget ahead of time the thought would never had occurred to me. Excellent suspense. Modern Hatfields & McCoys.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Another review giving stellar marks to this film. I try not to automatically agree with any critic, but when 19 out of 20 critics rave, that movie is definitely on my list.

Good to know it looks and sounds good (a la AVS review) as well
post #14 of 14 Old 08-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post
Watched this last night based on Lee's review. I hadn't heard of it or seen a trailer before but it looked like something I would dig and I did. Much more visceral than I thought it would be. Really a drab portrait of the human condition and the destructive decisions made by an unforgiving, wounded heart. Very well done film but I'm glad I didn't make the missus sit through it

I streamed it via amazon and while overall the PQ was solid it really suffered in the darker scenes which distracted me from the moment.
Its in my Netflix cue. May bump it to the top.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage