Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music 40th Anniversary (Blu-ray) Director's Cut - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Wielage

post #1 of 17 Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music 40th Anniversary (Blu-ray) Director's Cut

Check out our Blu-ray Spotlight coverage of this new release that chronicles the spectacular 1969 event that took place over three days in the rural town of Bethel, New York where half a million people experienced the defining moment of their generation – a concert unprecedented in scope and influence, a coming together of people with a single common goal: peace and music. They called it Woodstock.

The Woodstock Music and Art Fair was held at Max Yasgur’s dairy farm in the rural town of Bethel, New York on a sometimes rain-soaked weekend from August 15 to August 18, 1969. Half a million people of all colors, shapes, sizes, ages and sexes attended this historical event. They came by car, by truck, a few even by helicopter, but the majority walked to what turned out to be the most famous festival in history, an event that was hailed by Rolling Stone Magazine as one of the “50 Moments That Changed the History of Rock ‘n’ Roll.”

32 legendary musical acts appeared which, in addition to those mentioned above, included The Band, Canned Heat, Joe Cocker, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Janis Joplin, Richie Havens, John Sebastian and Sly & The Family Stone.

Winner of the Academy Award® for Best Documentary Feature (and nominated for Best Editing and Best Sound), Woodstock was produced by Bob Maurice and directed by Michael Wadleigh, who assembled an outstanding crew that included young filmmakers at the start of their careers Academy Award® winners: director Martin Scorsese (The Wolf of Wall Street) and editor Thelma Schoonmaker (The Wolf of Wall Street). Michael Lang, Artie Kornfeld, John Roberts and Joel Rosenman created the original Festival.

My Thoughts:

1969 was a year unlike any other. Man first set foot on the moon. The New York Mets won the World Series against all odds. And for three days in upstate New York, 500,000 young people were part of a generation defining experience; a concert unprecedented in scope and influence, a coming together of people from all walks of life with a single common goal: Peace and music. The Woodstock Festival needs no introduction and stands as a monument within our pop culture. It took place just minutes from my childhood home (I still live in the area) and although I was on five at the time I remember the fervor, traffic jams and impact it had on the community. I have always had a kind of fascination with it as a result and enjoy this film documentary immensely. This new release is jam packed with everything Woodstock and simply a must have.

On July 29, 2014 to celebrate the anniversary of Woodstock, Warner Bros. is releasing a limited edition Blu-ray set of “Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music”- the four-hour (224 minutes) Director’s Cut of the 1970 Oscar-winning documentary about the landmark music event that featured some of the greatest rock ‘n’ roll performers in history. The set will include never-before-seen concert footage from the following acts at the festival:
  • Book of Love (Sha Na Na)
  • Come Back Baby (Jefferson Airplane)
  • Everything’s Gonna Be Alright (Paul Butterfield Blues Band)
  • Helplessly Hoping and Marrakesh Express (Crosby, Stills and Nash)
  • Mr. Tambourine Man and Tuning My Guitar (Melanie)
  • Oh Happy Day and I Shall Be Released (Joan Baez)
  • Persuasion (Santana)
  • Pinball Wizard (The Who)

This release will contain the complete 40th Anniversary Ultimate Collector’s Edition and all of its bonus supplements (now in HD!) plus the aforementioned brand new concert footage. There are new premiums – a reproduction of Woodstock Festival tickets and an article from Life Magazine – in addition to a re-issue of the Woodstock logo iron-on patch.

New Concert Footage – (Previous Limited Availability) is included as well:
  • Mama Tried
  • Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine
  • Spanish Castle Magic
  • Sparks
  • Volunteers
  • Woodstock Boogie

The bonus material from the original Ultimate Collector's Edition contained two hours of performance footage from many of the above groups as well as a featurette gallery showcasing interviews with Martin Scorsese, Michael Lang, director Michael Wadleigh, Hugh Hefner, Eddie Kramer (the concert’s original chief on-site engineer and producer-engineer for Jimi Hendrix) and others who chronicle the making of the festival and the film. Included are such segments as 3 Days in a Truck, No Rain! No Rain! Living Up To Idealism, 356,000 feet of film, Critical acclaim, The Crowd, The Woodstock effect and more.

WOODSTOCK 40th Anniversary Limited Edition Revisited Contents (Those previously released in SD are upgraded to HD here):
  • Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music Director’s Cut (244 minutes)
  • Woodstock: Untold Stories 18 performances (140 minutes)
  • Woodstock: From Festival to Feature: Interviews of the sights and sounds of the 3 day event, from concert goers, promoters, crew and musicians (77 minutes)
  • The Museum at Bethel Woods: The stories of the sixties and Woodstock (5 minutes)
  • Festival opening and closing (5 minutes)
  • Woodstock: From festival to feature revisited (32 minutes)
  • Untold Stories Revisited (16 additional performances totaling 73 minutes)
  • 3 Woodstock Festival Ticket reproductions
  • Life Magazine Article reproduction
  • Period newspaper clipping reproductions
  • Re-issued Woodstock iron-on patch

Woodstock 3 days of Peace and Music 40th Anniversary Revisited Director’s Cut comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 2.3 Mbps.

This high definition presentation delivered fair overall image quality that appeared faithful to the film’s original elements. Its high definition video offered an appreciable level of detail during close ups and certain wide angle camera shots. The exterior shots of the rural areas and concert venue appeared vivid with naturally rendered colors and stable resolution. The majority of the time the visuals didn’t have a high level of image penetration. Sharpness was good but occasionally inconsistent as the image softened at times. The variety of period colors and earth toned hues were reproduced well but weren’t especially engaging. Blacks were punchy which increased depth perception in low lit sequences. Grain appears natural and occasionally takes on more prominence but I didn’t find it to be problematic. I noticed a few of the nips and tucks from the restoration process (this is the same 2009 encode) but predominantly saw no heavy headed digital manipulation or artifacts that aren’t innate to the source.

Video: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

The Dolby TrueHD surround mix won’t knock your socks off but I found it rendered the components of the original recording quite well. The auditory is clean and free of unwanted clicks, pops or background hiss. Dialogue intelligibility is excellent as it is never lost amidst the other sounds emanating from the front soundstage. There is little call for low end support as things appropriately remain in the limited dynamic spectrum provided by the recording. The end result is a satisfying and appropriate audio presentation that compliments the source quite nicely.

Audio: 78
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Woodstock 3 Days of Peace and Music 40th Anniversary Revisited Director’s Cut is a gem that deserves a place in the collections of film and music fans. If you haven’t had the opportunity to see the Woodstock Festival I can’t think of a better way than this Blu-ray offering from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-24-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Will BestBuy be selling this in Blu-ray

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 07-24-2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Removed Quote (no need to quote the entire article)
post #3 of 17 Old 07-24-2014, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post
Will BestBuy be selling this in Blu-ray
Greetings,

I am not certain but a quick search on their website might provide an answer. Thanks.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 17 Old 07-24-2014, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I'm confused.
How does this differ from all the previous "40th Anniversary Director's Cut" releases?
post #5 of 17 Old 07-24-2014, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I'm confused.
How does this differ from all the previous "40th Anniversary Director's Cut" releases?
Greetings,

It adds additional bonus material and collectibles. The audio/video is the same..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 17 Old 07-25-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
It also sounds as if the additional material that was released in SD, is now in HD. That's cool. Wish they had chosen other cuts to include as additional material than what they had. Dump the Sha Na Na, Melanie, and Paul Butterfield (I love Paul Butterfield, but this song was just so so). Add more footage of Jefferson Airplane, Santana, Johnny Winter (RIP), Country Joe and the Fish, Joe Cocker, or CCR. I'm a sucker for all things Woodstock, and the Blu-Ray from my original "Ultimate Collectors Edition" got scratched somehow, so I'll be picking this up. It was difficult to find it through Amazon, but I did.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaamon View Post
remember this is a documentary about the gig and not all performances are from the real Woodstock concert.
many were done at a second concert that same year in California where some of the recordings were made.
Really?!?!?! Oh well, if there is more Santana I'll buy it.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The 6 CD set have the cuts from the original Woodstock recordings of Arlo Guthrie. It's understandable, hearing the original Woodstock performance, why they stuck a different performance of Arlo on the original LP. There were mic cutouts and other audio problems which made the recorded performance less than par. I think the CSN's Wooden Ships recording that was on the LP was also from a different location, as well as the Mountain tracks. Still, the majority of music performed came from Woodstock (95%)? and is really good. Remember, this was 1969, and switches like that and overdubs were fairly common back then. I wish the included material was more substantial, given that it wasn't so long ago that they had released the 40th anniversary just 5 years ago. Oh well.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
compared to the California concert, the acoustics at Woodstock were far superior in quality.
Quote:
Still, the majority of music performed came from Woodstock (95%)?
but not the 95% you think was actually recorded there. it is more like less than 50% as I saw and heard it.
when you see the stage lighting upper left to lower right or upper right to lower left diagonally.
just know it was not the Woodstock stage. a group that rocked the stage at Woodstock,
Sly and the Family Stone....you see @ the California concert. almost everybody who was at Woodstock was invited
to the California concert for the remakes and some of those who did not make it to Woodstock.

I for one wish it was all Woodstock!

several/many years ago there was a PBS movie, 'Stealing Woodstock' I believe. it showed how some of the players who
set up the concert were left out on the making if the documentary/now movie. they were pi$$ed no less. So they
went into the studios where it was being produced and stole much of the films not yet seen. that is why it is chopped
and the other concert was added. (where the films are now, like sitting on a pile of gold.)
hope that explains my it and my feelings about the movie. so long as you know it now, buy it if you want. it was
a great time for the music.

my HT
post #10 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by matonanjin View Post
Really?!?!?! Oh well, if there is more Santana I'll buy it.
I was introduced to Carlos's music at Woodstock and did not know much about him before that.
I spent 25 years working with his cousin who lived in Modesto. we both retired he recently passed.
he use to update me about Carlos and the family parties they had.
Carlos put on a very good show at Woodstock.

my HT
post #11 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Same here.

Quote:
I was introduced to Carlos's music at Woodstock and did not know much about him before that.
I spent 25 years working with his cousin who lived in Modesto. we both retired he recently passed.
he use to update me about Carlos and the family parties they had.
Carlos put on a very good show at Woodstock.
I was not at Woodstock but his first album after it blew me away. I've been a huge fan ever since. I have everything he ever released, probably 30+ albums, mostly vinyl.

I was on business in San Francisco decades ago. I had to stay over the week-end and a guy that I was meeting with there said, "Since you're here let's go down to the Square and listen to some music." Who shows up to jam with the band that was playing but Carlos Santana! I was probably 50 feet from him.

This, of course, was when he was just beginning to get famous. I just saw him in concert here in Nebraska a few weeks ago and I had to use binoculars to see him!!!

That had to be interesting knowing his cousin!
post #12 of 17 Old 07-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I was fortunate to grow up in that music era. I even won the draft lottery! (The only lottery I ever won.)There will never be a music era like those years, EVER. The music still lives on.

I will pass on this one. These remakes are getting old or maybe it's me. Yes, it was a great concert and event. Nothing will ever equal it. I have seen the movie and other documentaries enough and don't need to see any more.

(LCD - Sony KDL - XBR4) (Receiver - Sony STR-DA4ES)(Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83) (PS3)( Dish Hopper DVR With Sling) Speakers (L & R - Paradigm Studio 20) (Center -Paradigm CC-470) (Surrounds & Back Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15R in walls) (Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12) (Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100)
post #13 of 17 Old 07-28-2014, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
remember this is a documentary about the gig and not all performances are from the real Woodstock concert.
All of the great documentaries ever made were "faked" in some way, used editing tricks, and otherwise had a point of view to create a desired impression and effect upon the audience. This goes back all the way to the classic documentaries of the 1920s, like Robert Flaherty's Nanook of the North. None of it is 100% real and authentic, even though the vast majority is essentially true.

That never excuses outright lies or manipulation, but in that respect, Woodstock is no better and no worse than lots of documentaries presented as entertainment. It's mostly true, it's a "version" of the truth, but there are errors, omissions, and lots of fudging here and there. It doesn't make the film any less great or important, and I think it deserves a lot of praise for a lot of reasons, despite its flaws.

It's amazing to me, more than 40 years later, they've made what was a cheap, on-the-fly 16mm production look as good as it does today in HD. The movie has never looked better than this, and the documentaries are a terrific inside look at what Michael Wadeigh, Martin Scorsese, and their crews had to work with. Quite an amazing job from a filmmaking point of view, and from the viewpoint of history.

Just the stories about how they kept almost running out of film are pretty amazing...
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-29-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
"My thoughts"...

...then directly followed by a cut and paste from the liner notes of the discs. LOL

Anyway, GREAT collection, LOVE the leather that's made to look like the hippie vests from the day..

Really like that they added more songs. The reprinted tickets are neat-o as well.

Overall... very happy with it, and it's really for my kids as a history lesson anyway.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-29-2014, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
"My thoughts"...

...then directly followed by a cut and paste from the liner notes of the discs. LOL

Anyway, GREAT collection, LOVE the leather that's made to look like the hippie vests from the day..

Really like that they added more songs. The reprinted tickets are neat-o as well.

Overall... very happy with it, and it's really for my kids as a history lesson anyway.
Greetings,

Certainly not a cut and paste but simply a summation followed by my brief thoughts. Your sarcastic remark is noted, thanks.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 17 Old 07-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
many were done at a second concert that same year in California where some of the recordings were made.
I think it was the Altamont concert. some of the songs included in the movie may not have been done at
Woodstock, ever. some were performed during the day and then how did they get recorded at night? so stupid to me.
do they still show the split screen SD pictures side by side? did you leave that out....
I really laugh when arlo guthrie says the new york state thru-way is closed.....we at Woodstock laughed but in the
movie it was at night and people groaned and said what...( that was not recorded at Woodstock)
the movie showed a daytime guthrie walking to the stage, and then his hight time appearance.
I just hate fake stuff, sorry I will not buy this either.

been there done that......

I'm confused. You say that Arlo Guthrie's and Sly Stone's performances shown in the Woodstock movie are not actually from Woodstock. How did you determine that?

Yes, there is a scene shown of Arlo walking at Woodstock during the daytime but why would you assume that he is walking to the stage for his performance at that moment? We also see Janis Joplin walking during daytime but she too shouldn't be assumed to be heading to the stage at that moment.

You also mentioned certain types of lighting which indicates that we are not seeing Woodstock and instead a different location. Can you detail that?

I'm curious about these things and somewhat skeptical.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page