• 1 Post By Ralph Potts

Old 07-30-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 691
I'll Follow You Down (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

After the disappearance of a young scientist on a business trip, his son and wife struggle to cope, only to make a bizarre discovery years later - one that may bring him home.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Well Go USA - 2013
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 93 minutes
Genre: Drama/Mystery/Sci-fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: Haley Joel Osment, Gillian Anderson, Victor Garber, Rufus Sewell, Susanna Fournier
Written & Directed by: Richie Mehta
Music by: Andrew Lockington
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 5, 2014

"What would you do to change the past?"

My Take:

It’s the year 2000, an accomplished physicist (Rufus Sewell) mysteriously disappears while on a business trip. Unsure of his whereabouts and feeling abandoned, his wife (Gillian Anderson) and 9 year old son Erol (Haley Joel Osment) struggle to cope. 12 years later, now a brilliant young scientist, having moved on with his life and in love Erol is approached by his grandfather/college science professor with a mind-bending possibility. In his possession are papers, formulas, and a machine, that suggest that perhaps his father didn’t simply disappear 12 years ago but may have taken a trip that extended beyond scientific understanding.

The startling discovery and fragmented information offer clues to his whereabouts but the data is incomplete. With his mother having never gotten over his father’s unexplained disappearance Erol suddenly finds himself thrown headlong into assisting his grandfather with trying to piece together the necessary data to complete the recreation of his father’s work. But time travel is impossible. Isn't it? Erol's obsession to find his father and restore his family will throw him into the unknown which could alter his present/future and possibly threaten his life. What would you do to repair the past?

I’ll follow you down uses a surface level mystery/sci-fi plot that draws from an emotional center to spin a philosophical tale that poses ponderous questions while plying us with dramatic interplay. For the most part I found this to be an enjoyable film that primarily sticks to the point which is to focus not so much on the science element but on the resonating effects of the father’s disappearance and Erol’s struggle once he is faced with the truth and the possible ramifications should he opt to try and intervene. I really enjoyed Haley Joel Osment as a child actor and watching him perform here now as an adult I didn’t find him to be as engaging. I wouldn’t say that he gave a poor performance in this role but his chemistry with his counterparts wasn’t especially convincing. Regardless the film works on a human level that at 93 minutes moves along nicely and kept me involved throughout.

Parental Guide:

The film contains thematic elements, brief violence, language and mild sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

I’ll follow you down comes to Blu-ray Disc from Well Go USA featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition rendering from Well Go USA that sports plenty of fine detail with sharp edges and crisp definition that provides discerning dimensional perspective during close ups and mid-level camera pans. Colors range from warm, vivid and inviting to cool, reserved and almost tonally neutral. This is obviously a creative decision that draws definitive visual boundaries and works quite well. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide angle shots of the daytime exterior shooting locations look great. The use of filtering occasionally softens the image but I found the quality of the video to be high. It isn’t always razor sharp but is cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that increases the perception of fine detail. Framed at 1.85:1 images onscreen have excellent depth and dimension. I didn’t see any signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. Lately I have been pleased with the quality of the Blu-ray releases from Well Go USA and this is another noteworthy example.

The front heavy lossless surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices were rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for surround activity and extended dynamics however there are a few instances that provide a discerning level of spatial envelopment accompanied be punchy low frequency enhancement.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) Behind the scenes – 12 minute featurette
  • (HD) 3 deleted scenes
  • (HD) Trailer

Final Thoughts:

I’ll follow you down is a decent drama sci-fi/mystery that isn’t especially deep in narrative but strikes a chord with its emotional story about a family struggling to heal deep wounds. It comes to Blu-ray from Well Go USA featuring excellent high definition video, crisp lossless sound quality and a noticeably light supplemental package that provides a rather bland glimpse behind the scenes. I’ll follow you down makes for a solid rental when you’re up for a little genre blending on movie night.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 08-04-2014 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Sounds interesting. My type of movie. I just ordered.

Ralph

Thanks for the heads up. I have never heard about it until your review.

m
Ralph Potts likes this.

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
Old 07-30-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
Sounds interesting. My type of movie. I just ordered.

Ralph

Thanks for the heads up. I have never heard about it until your review.

m
Greetings,

Sure thing Jim. Be sure to post back once you had the chance to check it out.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Sure thing Jim. Be sure to post back once you had the chance to check it out.

Regards,

I will do

m

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
Old 07-30-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Available on DVD only, from Netflix.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
The use of filtering occasionally softens the image but I found the quality of the video to be high.
Can you explain what you mean by the term "filtering"? I've honestly never heard it before, at least in terms of mastering video or authoring digital media.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Interesting plot, almost Fringe like. Will look into the movie. Thanks Ralph!

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 07-31-2014, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
Can you explain what you mean by the term "filtering"? I've honestly never heard it before, at least in terms of mastering video or authoring digital media.

Greetings,

Marc, I mean with respect to the work done in post to create the intended effects on chromatic depth, lighting etc. Perhaps "filtering" isn't the appropriate term. Thoughts..?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-31-2014, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Marc, I mean with respect to the work done in post to create the intended effects on chromatic depth, lighting etc. Perhaps "filtering" isn't the appropriate term. Thoughts..?
I'd have to see what you're seeing to understand the problem. I was just reading a review of Billy Wilder's Private Life of Sherlock Holmes on another website, and I was chuckling at the reviewer criticizing the Blu-ray for looking "murky." The film is very murky because it was shot that way. I watched a 1970 print in a screening room before we did the 1990s transfer, and if anything, the version I did back then was sharper and had more contrast than the print.

In that sense, a film like this is filtered during production because they put diffusion filters (like a Tiffen or Mitchell Fog filter or a ProMist filter) in the matte box while the show is being filmed. But it's not something anybody adds in post.

There are exceptions. The one often done nowadays is selective defocus, where we'll soften an actor's face yet keep their eyes, hair, and clothes perfectly in-focus to "take the curse off" their age lines in close-ups. This is standard operating procedure in tons of shows and films with any actors over 40. You can consider this a kind of filter, but more accurately, it's more of a kind of equalizer where we're rolling off the highs (so to speak).

Sometimes, I think people are expecting to see more in a picture than is really there. There are ways to sharpen up a picture beyond simple enhancement; Lowry Digital is an example of a company that has extraordinarily complex sharpening tools (as used on the Bond films, the Disney classics, and hundreds of others), and I trust their judgement to know how far to dial it up. You can debate the pros and cons of sharpening as far as whether it strays from the original creative intent, but I think a little is generally a good idea.

But "filtering" is not done per se, though there are filter-like processes that happen when high-res material is down-rezzed to (say) standard def, or 4K is converted to HD. Anti-alias filters do kick in, but those are almost always beneficial.

Bear in mind with a modern film that generally the theatrical mastering colorist is also the person who usually does the home video mastering. That means they probably watched it in the same room and compared it to the precise theatrical image, so... good or bad, what you see is what you get. People can say, "oh, it looked this way or that way in the theater," but the truth is, I'm not buying they can remember what they saw that closely, not with that kind of detail. Hell, I can't remember what I had for lunch on Monday.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
I'd have to see what you're seeing to understand the problem. I was just reading a review of Billy Wilder's Private Life of Sherlock Holmes on another website, and I was chuckling at the reviewer criticizing the Blu-ray for looking "murky." The film is very murky because it was shot that way. I watched a 1970 print in a screening room before we did the 1990s transfer, and if anything, the version I did back then was sharper and had more contrast than the print.

In that sense, a film like this is filtered during production because they put diffusion filters (like a Tiffen or Mitchell Fog filter or a ProMist filter) in the matte box while the show is being filmed. But it's not something anybody adds in post.

There are exceptions. The one often done nowadays is selective defocus, where we'll soften an actor's face yet keep their eyes, hair, and clothes perfectly in-focus to "take the curse off" their age lines in close-ups. This is standard operating procedure in tons of shows and films with any actors over 40. You can consider this a kind of filter, but more accurately, it's more of a kind of equalizer where we're rolling off the highs (so to speak).

Sometimes, I think people are expecting to see more in a picture than is really there. There are ways to sharpen up a picture beyond simple enhancement; Lowry Digital is an example of a company that has extraordinarily complex sharpening tools (as used on the Bond films, the Disney classics, and hundreds of others), and I trust their judgement to know how far to dial it up. You can debate the pros and cons of sharpening as far as whether it strays from the original creative intent, but I think a little is generally a good idea.

But "filtering" is not done per se, though there are filter-like processes that happen when high-res material is down-rezzed to (say) standard def, or 4K is converted to HD. Anti-alias filters do kick in, but those are almost always beneficial.

Bear in mind with a modern film that generally the theatrical mastering colorist is also the person who usually does the home video mastering. That means they probably watched it in the same room and compared it to the precise theatrical image, so... good or bad, what you see is what you get. People can say, "oh, it looked this way or that way in the theater," but the truth is, I'm not buying they can remember what they saw that closely, not with that kind of detail. Hell, I can't remember what I had for lunch on Monday.
Greetings,

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for following up Marc!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-31-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Terrible review--absolutely no explanation or comment on how Osment's head has continued to grow yet his face has not.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Terrible review--absolutely no explanation or comment on how Osment's head has continued to grow yet his face has not.
Greetings,

No idea how to answer that one javanpohl..!

Regards,
javanpohl likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-31-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks Ralph for the review. I plan to check this one out very soon, I enjoy these unsolved mystery, sci-fil ... suspense kinda films

HT: PJ: ?? , Screen: ??,B&W 684s, 685s, HTM62 / DIY SI 18" / port tuned- 17hz
Onkyo 809, iNuke DSP1000, Oppo 103 , PS4, HTPC- Lenovo q190.
| Media Room: Yamaha RX-A 820, PS3, Vizio 55 (M-Series) with in-wall Polk Audio RC series (5-channel), Sub1200 (dual) w/ DirectTV & PS3 / PLEX | Family Room: LED: Sharp 70" -Smart, DTV Client, PS3, Mirage MX 5.1 / HK Audio.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
It's a sad truth that some kid actors do fine as they get older, and some do not.

Osment is far more talented as an actor than (say) Macauley Culkin, so I hope he can go further with his career.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Perhaps too much listening to the classic rock of Small Faces.

Tags
frontpage