• 1 Post By sdurani

post #1 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Tarzan (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Check out our review of this endearing Disney adaptation of Edgar Rice Burrough’s classic story of the man who was raised in the wild by gorillas.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Disney - 1999
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 88 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.0 HD Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Tony Goldwyn, Minnie Driver, Rosie O’Donnell, Lance Henriksen, Glenn Close, Wayne Knight
Directed by: Chris Buck & Kevin Lima
Music by: Mark Mancina (Score), Phil Collins (Songs)
Written by: Tab Murphy, Bob Tzudiker, Noni White
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 12, 2014

"An immortal legend. As you’ve only imagined"

My Take:

Disney's magnificent animated adaptation of Edgar Rice Burrough's story of the ape man begins deep within the jungle when after the loss of his parents, baby Tarzan is adopted by a family of gorillas. Even though he is shunned as a "hairless wonder" by their stern leader Kerchak, Tarzan is eventually accepted by them and raised as one of their own. Together with his wisecracking ape buddy Terk and neurotic elephant pal Tantor, Tarzan learns how to "surf" along and swing through the trees and survive in the animal kingdom. With the arrival of humans to the jungle Tarzan sees that he is not alone. After meeting the beautiful Jane who shows him another side of life his "Two Words" collide, forcing Tarzan to choose between a "civilized" life and the life he knows and loves with his gorilla family.

I love this film. I haven’t seen it in a long time but watching it again brought back wonderful memories of watching it countless times with my kids when they were little. Tarzan is a thoughtful adaptation with an endearing quality and memorable music that is typical of the classic films from the Disney canon. Filled with humor, heart, and fun, Tarzan is a wonderful family adventure that easily stands the test of time and like many of Disney’s animated films has touched and will continue to touch generations of viewers. I am pleased that it has finally come to Blu-ray.

Parental Guide:

This film contains mild thematic material but is appropriate for general audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 90
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Tarzan comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.0 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This was digitally re-mastered for this high definition release and the results are quite good. I no longer have the 2005 DVD release for frame of reference but I see nothing to indicate any problems with this rendering. Colors shine brilliantly with pleasing saturation and striking blues that look beautiful. The original film elements don’t have the highly polished gloss of today’s digitally created animated films which is to be expected. The 1.78:1 framed video has excellent visual depth with rich color fidelity and discerning resolution that enhances dimension. The ability to fully appreciate the attention to detail that went into design of each of the animated characters appears intact. Contrast and brightness is stable and strikes a wonderful balance that highlights the multi-layered grays and delineated chromatic elements within the video. Whites sparkle and appear crisp, bright and punchy and blacks are deep with excellent dynamic range. I see no obvious signs of image degradation and find the quality of the video presentation to be high.

The high resolution DTS-HD MA soundtrack is well-articulated with excellent headroom and crystal clear rendering across the board. Based on the film’s soundtrack I found the 5.0 mix to be a surprising choice as there is plenty here that would benefit from the LFE channel. While there were times that I missed it I wouldn’t say that the mix suffered as a result. This is a nicely balanced audio presentation that features discerning detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, and music. The result is a satisfying, relatively enveloping audio presentation that reproduces the recorded elements well but with little fanfare.

Bonus Features:
  • 2 deleted scenes and alternate opening (with introduction)
  • History & development
  • The characters of Tarzan
  • Animation production
  • Story & editorial
  • Publicity
  • Disneypedia: Living in the jungle
  • Filmmaker audio commentary
  • The making of the music
  • Tarzan goes international
  • ”You’ll be in my heart” & “Strangers like me” music videos by Phil Collins
  • ”Strangers like me” performed by Everlife
  • ”Trashin’ the camp” studio session with Phil Collins and ‘N Synch
  • Original Phil Collins song demo
  • Bonus DVD
  • Digital HD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Disney’s Tarzan magically transforms Edgar Rice Burrough’s legend into a fun and spirited family adventure that has a timeless appeal that Disney fans can revel in. It makes its debut on Blu-ray in this 2 disc Special Edition that features excellent high definition video, complimentary lossless sound quality and legacy bonus material that are worth exploring. If you’re a fan this offering from Disney will make a welcomed addition to your video collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
jhughy2010 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any chances that we will see Tarzan released on 3d BD in the future?

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #3 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
"The original film elements don’t have the highly polished gloss of today’s digitally created animated films which is to be expected."

???

I think, ever since the Lion King, every frame is digitally colored and created (It all started on a system called CAPS I think) on the computer and printed back to film. It should've been digital to digital. I could be wrong. Think I'll go check...

EDIT ADD ON: Nope. Rescuers Down Under was the first to use computers to 'paint' the cels. Now I just need to find out what the first film was that wasn't stored on film, but was considered finished on the computer but had to be delivered via film.

EDIT ADD ON #2 : Most entries I find say Rescuers Down Under was the first fully digital animated film by Disney. (Note, this doesn't mean 3D modeling like Toy Story, only that other than the hand drawn sketches, coloring and assembly all were on the computer.)

Last edited by chirpie; 08-03-2014 at 05:21 PM.
post #4 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I forgot to mention that while the 5.0 track is indeed odd, it was the same way on it's DVD release. One wonders as to why though.
RickyDeg likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tantor: "Mom! Are you sure this water's sanitary? It looks questionable to me!"

Love that quote
Dave Vaughn and RickyDeg like this.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-03-2014, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I remember the "controversy" over the .1 omission among fans when the DVD came out. And now they do the same with the Blu-ray!
I would think a studio like Disney would see fit to remix the soundtrack and do it properly for such a release.

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

post #7 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Disney is getting a little strange lately with releases. Changes to Little Mermaid, No Frozen 3D release in U.S., and Tarzan really wasn't polished, more of a DVD to Blu-Ray transfer from what it seems. These 3 releases to me are making me question whats going on in the house of mouse?

Cool Beans.
post #8 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've honestly never thought very highly of most Disney disk transfers. For a long time DVDs would ship with horrible cropping resulting in black borders on edges, etc. Back when most people had CRT TVs that overscanned it was thought of as "good enough" but hardly good.

That said, we actually just watched the Tarzan BR this past Friday. I thought it looked fine.

-Suntan
post #9 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Good review Ralph. Totally agree with your thoughts regarding the transfer and audio track. I was scratching my head with the .1 omission as well. Granted, your AVR or pre/pro will send the low frequencies to your sub (depending on your crossover setting), it's just plain weird that this is one of the only titles I can think of that doesn't have a dedicated bass track.
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #10 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 355
One of my least favorite Disney films, and it was the film that destroyed the Swiss Family Tree-house at Disneyland replacing it with Tarzan crap. boo hiss

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #11 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

But the music is better in the house now
Aetherhole and ControlZ like this.

David Vaughn

post #12 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 505
As long as the LFE content is baked into the other channels, it really doesn't matter to me if it has a .1 or not. Not planning on upgrading my DVD though, since this one was kind of painful to sit through at times.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Good review Ralph. Totally agree with your thoughts regarding the transfer and audio track. I was scratching my head with the .1 omission as well. Granted, your AVR or pre/pro will send the low frequencies to your sub (depending on your crossover setting), it's just plain weird that this is one of the only titles I can think of that doesn't have a dedicated bass track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
As long as the LFE content is baked into the other channels, it really doesn't matter to me if it has a .1 or not. Not planning on upgrading my DVD though, since this one was kind of painful to sit through at times.
Greetings,

Thanks Dave. Yes depending on your crossover setting you'll get some bass content directed to the sub. I notice this primarily with the storm sequence and music score.

Regards,
mo949 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
There is some misinformation in the review and thread:

Tarzan was finished and mastered from the original CAPS files. No film involved (other than making theatrical prints). Direct digital transfer for DVD & Blu-ray.

The 5.0 soundtrack is the original. The channels are full range. If you have your bass management set up properly the .1 subwoofer channel will get the bass redirected from the main channels.
Plenty of bass in this film.

Rescuers Down Under was the first Disney feature finished in CAPS, but apparently the complete files no longer exist, so a film transfer was done for Blu-ray. Beauty & The Beast onwards are from the CAPS files.
thehun likes this.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #15 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Caught this in the theatres when it first came out. Ended up seeing it several times. One of my favourite Disney movies. Really heart warming story, especially for anyone who thinks they don't fit in.

This was the first Disney movie to use their Deep Canvas technology, where painted backdrops were 3D and could be rotated. The most effective use is when Tarzan is swinging through the jungle and goes into the painted backdrops, which change perspective as he goes deeper into them. We take this stuff for granted today, what with animated movies being CGI, but back then it was impressive.

The first DVD issued had a 5.0 soundtrack. There was another edition struck that had a 5.1 mix (don't know where they got the LFE content, maybe a copy of the bass from the music and effects stems). Guess they decided to stick to the original theatrical track for the BD release. Too bad they didn't likewise stick to the original 1.66 aspect ratio.

Thanx for the review Ralph. Definite pick up for me.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Sanjay
post #16 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
There is some misinformation in the review and thread:

Tarzan was finished and mastered from the original CAPS files. No film involved (other than making theatrical prints). Direct digital transfer for DVD & Blu-ray.

The 5.0 soundtrack is the original. The channels are full range. If you have your bass management set up properly the .1 subwoofer channel will get the bass redirected from the main channels.
Plenty of bass in this film.

Rescuers Down Under was the first Disney feature finished in CAPS, but apparently the complete files no longer exist, so a film transfer was done for Blu-ray. Beauty & The Beast onwards are from the CAPS files.
Greetings,

Thanks for adding this PeterTHX. To be clear I never said that this was sourced from film. I said: "The original film elements don’t have the highly polished gloss of today’s digitally created animated films which is to be expected."

Meaning that compared to today's digitally created films it doesn't quite have the same luster which is to be expected.

I can see where my use of "film elements" would be confusing however I was referencing the film itself rather than its composition.

As for the 5.0 channel mix I agree that it sounds fine but I wouldn't go so far as to say that there is plenty of bass as there were certainly instances where deeper extension would have been appropriate and welcomed.

Regards,
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 23 Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Ordered! Woo hoo!

Now where's the US release of Aladdin?
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-07-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
This was the first Disney movie to use their Deep Canvas technology, where painted backdrops were 3D and could be rotated. The most effective use is when Tarzan is swinging through the jungle and goes into the painted backdrops, which change perspective as he goes deeper into them. We take this stuff for granted today, what with animated movies being CGI, but back then it was impressive.
Actually, I think the most impressive thing about Tarzan still today, and even when it was released, was not so much the 3D environments (the "stuff we take for granted today"), but how the hand drawn and 3D elements seamlessly merged to really bring you into a work of art. They used the computer enhance and bring a 3rd dimension to the artistry, not take it over, and I really wish we saw more of this today.

I don't think they really achieved that before Tarzan, and even though the Deep Canvas system was used in later films, I don't think it has happened since.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-07-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMK View Post
I don't think they really achieved that before Tarzan, and even though the Deep Canvas system was used in later films, I don't think it has happened since.
Agreed. While I liked some of what they did with Deep Canvas on Treasure Planet, I still think its best use was its first use (Tarzan).
AaronMK likes this.

Sanjay
post #20 of 23 Old 08-16-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Ordered! Woo hoo!

Now where's the US release of Aladdin?
Finally got a chance to watch this. Very nice! I'm happy with this purchase.

Now about Aladdin.....wait for US release (there will be one, right??) or buy the import now??

Last edited by Saturn94; 08-16-2014 at 01:07 PM.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-16-2014, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

My guess is February of 2015.

David Vaughn

post #22 of 23 Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post
Finally got a chance to watch this. Very nice! I'm happy with this purchase.

Now about Aladdin.....wait for US release (there will be one, right??) or buy the import now??
If you can't wait, the UK import is a great release.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-18-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMK View Post
If you can't wait, the UK import is a great release.
Thanks. I've had my eye on that release, but it's a bit pricy. For now I'll wait.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page