The Amazing Spider Man 2 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #31 of 68 Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 245
It's one thing to suspend disbelief but for this movie I had to suck out all brain matter and leave it in a jar until the film ended. I enjoyed the 3D though.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 08-18-2014, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
It's one thing to suspend disbelief but for this movie I had to suck out all brain matter and leave it in a jar until the film ended. I enjoyed the 3D though.
Greetings,

Thanks Deja Vu. I am glad you were able to find a means to get through it...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #33 of 68 Old 08-19-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Thanks Deja Vu. I am glad you were able to find a means to get through it...

Regards,
Hi, Ralph,

Imagine what I have to do to get through one of the Transformer movies -- trust me, you don't want to know.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #34 of 68 Old 08-19-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Hi, Ralph,

Imagine what I have to do to get through one of the Transformer movies -- trust me, you don't want to know.

Greetings,

I'll take your word for it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #35 of 68 Old 08-20-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 447
I watched this last night via Vudu and was impressed. I did not like The Amazing Spiderman and thought it was too soo for a re-boot and found the guy that played Parker to be freakin annoying. This one was much better IMO and his annoying attributes from the prior film seemed to be dialed back a bit. The story and action scenes all worked well for me and the PQ was incredible, even on Vudu. I enjoyed the first two Spiderman flicks with McGuire but not the third. I've never read a Spidey comic. Those are my disclaimers I'll pick this up at some point as I'd like to watch it again and check it out in 3D.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #36 of 68 Old 08-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Where is the DTS MA option? My AVR is only playing the Dolby Digital 5.1!!
post #37 of 68 Old 08-21-2014, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Where is the DTS MA option? My AVR is only playing the Dolby Digital 5.1!!
Is it a rental? Or did you buy it.
post #38 of 68 Old 08-21-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 300
I give the movie a C+. There was some good genuine emotion but Electro's transformation didn't work. I never understood why Electro developed a visceral hatred Spiderman.

The Audio quality was very good and the picture quality was fantastic.
It was a joy to see natural flesh tones again on an action film (instead of the usual teal and orange color-grading that is beyond tedious).

- Rich
Ralph Potts and pittsoccer33 like this.

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #39 of 68 Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I thought the picture looked awesome, will def be buying it
It was a great interpretation of spidey, very comic like
The villains, not so much
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #40 of 68 Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I give the movie a C+. There was some good genuine emotion but Electro's transformation didn't work. I never understood why Electro developed a visceral hatred Spiderman.

- Rich
I sort of expect that in comic book movies. As far back as BATMAN RETURNS, there was no reason for Penguin to hate Batman...they never previously encountered each other! (And that's one of my favorite Batman flicks.)
post #41 of 68 Old 08-22-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
I sort of expect that in comic book movies. As far back as BATMAN RETURNS, there was no reason for Penguin to hate Batman...they never previously encountered each other! (And that's one of my favorite Batman flicks.)
I think the movies that rise above and transcend "comic book movie" are the ones that don't rely on the villian of the week.

The Dark Knight, The Winter Soldier, and Days of Future Past are all pretty good examples. The conflict isn't just about stopping a villian. It flows from ideologies and character motivations. Kind of like why the Pixar movies mostly all work so well - they don't have bad guys. They have natural conflicts the protaganist(s) need to deal with.

Spider-Man's villians are all just guys with whacky powers who want to rob banks. They don't like him because he gets in their way.

The best parts of these Amazing Spider-Man films are the ones that involve Peter more than Spider-Man. Which is a shame, because Sony ImageWorks has gotten really good at animating him over the last 12 years.

The movies look great and have every resource Sony/Columbia can muster, but they can't seem to find really good stories to tell.
yadfgp likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #42 of 68 Old 08-22-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I think the movies that rise above and transcend "comic book movie" are the ones that don't rely on the villian of the week.

The Dark Knight, The Winter Soldier, and Days of Future Past are all pretty good examples. The conflict isn't just about stopping a villian. It flows from ideologies and character motivations.
Well, the Bat-films had: Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul (Batman Begins), Joker and Two-Face (Dark Knight) and Bane/Catwoman (Rises)...those certainly rely on "Villain(s) of the Week." Haven't see X-Men yet...but it's always the SAME villain (Magneto) and whoever he has hanging around. Only "Winter Soldier" avoided the trap of "Oh no....not Red Skull again!" There is a risk factor in these super-hero movies in that selling toys are the primary concern...certainly more than a good, compelling, mature script. (And yes, I know there are exceptions...particularly V FOR VENDETTA and WATCHMEN Ultimate Cut...both the best costume-hero movies to date IMHO). And that can often mean a movie is simply nothing more than an advertisement for Mattel or Hasbro or whoever.

Last edited by cinema13; 08-27-2014 at 02:46 PM.
post #43 of 68 Old 08-23-2014, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Watched it twice now and really enjoyed it. I have a DLP projector which basically never shows any sort of ghosting with 3D movies. With this one, however, I noticed that, in the first scene where Spiderman is flying around the city, there was a definite separation of the image in one shot in particular. I will find the exact time when I get a chance, but I want to know if anyone else has noticed it. I thought perhaps it was because I had a few drinks the first time I watched it, so the second time I steered clear of the beer and I noticed the same thing. I hope it's not my vision..??? I thought it had pretty great 3D at times, and not much in particular at other times.
post #44 of 68 Old 08-23-2014, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Was ok

Watched this last night. While the BR is nice, still not feeling it w/ this one, my son and I saw it in theaters when it came out. I like Jamie Foxx, but didn't feel any real depth w/ him as Electro. Again, almost fell asleep towards the end, to long and to shallow AFAIC. There are errors in this story I think according to info from my son and other sources, especially where Gwen Stacy is concerned, I mean how does do writers get away from detracting so much ? Am I wrong w/ this ?

I wasn't to impressed w/ the audio on the BR either, can't stand these AE's that do these mixes where the music is just so overbearing it just drowns out everything else, it just sounds cheap to me. IMO, seems the audio rating for this was a little high.

Hopefully the next one will leave a better taste. Would like to see Scorpion brought in to the series.

What enemies would you like to see.
post #45 of 68 Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Venom, done right
Scorpion is also a good one
post #46 of 68 Old 08-24-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I liked this movie but not as much as the 1st reboot mainly because of the length of the movie and development of Jamie Foxx's character. The Audio and Video Presentation were actually better (my opinion) in this latest entry when compared to the first one that I always felt the need to turn it up past my normal volume levels.
post #47 of 68 Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Watched this last night and both my wife and I noticed a lot of inconsistencies in the quality of the dialogue. Sounded like some weird clipping at times. Very back and forth. Gonna do some more tests with other movies to ensure it isn't a hardware issue but watched Locke the night before (which is pretty much ALL dialogue) and didn't notice a single thing.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
post #48 of 68 Old 08-26-2014, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Watched this last night and both my wife and I noticed a lot of inconsistencies in the quality of the dialogue. Sounded like some weird clipping at times. Very back and forth. Gonna do some more tests with other movies to ensure it isn't a hardware issue but watched Locke the night before (which is pretty much ALL dialogue) and didn't notice a single thing.
Greetings,

Kris, if you would provide a couple of examples that would be great. I didn't notice any such issues and will go back to listen to any cited scenes.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #49 of 68 Old 08-26-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I agree with everyone's criticisms of the movie but have to add one more-I wanted to reach through the movie and punch Garfield every time he started to cry- which happened to set an all time record for a superhero movie. I turned to my wife and asked if she switched the movie to the notebook or something.
post #50 of 68 Old 08-26-2014, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Kris, if you would provide a couple of examples that would be great. I didn't notice any such issues and will go back to listen to any cited scenes.

Regards,

I didn't notice this either Ralph.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
My Atmos Renovation Part 1 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-1
My Atmos Renovation Part 2 http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...odyssey-part-2
post #51 of 68 Old 08-27-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I watched the movie last night and didn't notice any issues with the sound....It is actually quite good....

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803D2s mains, B&W HTM2D2 center channel, B&W 805D2 surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Marantz AV8802, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D, PS Audio Power Plant Premier
HT-Being re-designed and re-built.
post #52 of 68 Old 08-27-2014, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I didn't notice this either Ralph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post
I watched the movie last night and didn't notice any issues with the sound....It is actually quite good....
Greetings,

Good to know. Thanks for chiming in Dave and Chris...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #53 of 68 Old 08-28-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
That's pretty much how I watch all big budget action movies. You kinda have to. Just sit back and enjoy the sights and sounds. That's basically what it is, and it's a lot of fun!

Main room (3D bluray, PS4, WiiU) LG 70LB7100: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Downstairs (PS3, Xbox 360) Panny L55ET5: Demon 1712, Polk CS10, R300 x2, t15 x2, PSW10
post #54 of 68 Old 08-28-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Hey Ralph, thanks for the tip. I will def listen for the LFE effect in Electro's voice.
Ralph Potts likes this.

Main room (3D bluray, PS4, WiiU) LG 70LB7100: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Downstairs (PS3, Xbox 360) Panny L55ET5: Demon 1712, Polk CS10, R300 x2, t15 x2, PSW10
post #55 of 68 Old 08-29-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischaos View Post
I turned to my wife and asked if she switched the movie to the notebook or something.
Were Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams in your picture?

If not, then she didn't switch it to The Notebook.
post #56 of 68 Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I just saw this one the other night. I guess I fall sort of in the middle of everyone who has chimed in so far. I didn't really feel the film did anything poorly, it just didn't feel fresh to me at all. I felt as though I've seen this film several times already, whereas I think other franchises are doing a better job of preventing me from feeling like that. I do like Garfield in the role over Toby, and Emma Stone is just a doll. I thought Jamie Foxx was strong and I loved the music during his scenes. So I can't call it a turd, but it was flirting with pre-turd status.

All that being said, great review Ralph
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #57 of 68 Old 08-29-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I just saw this one the other night. I guess I fall sort of in the middle of everyone who has chimed in so far. I didn't really feel the film did anything poorly, it just didn't feel fresh to me at all. I felt as though I've seen this film several times already, whereas I think other franchises are doing a better job of preventing me from feeling like that. I do like Garfield in the role over Toby, and Emma Stone is just a doll. I thought Jamie Foxx was strong and I loved the music during his scenes. So I can't call it a turd, but it was flirting with pre-turd status.

All that being said, great review Ralph
Greetings,

Thanks AJ..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #58 of 68 Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4438 Post(s)
Liked: 1738
I wasn't much enthralled by 'The Amazing Spider Man 2' on the 3D version. ...The film itself was ... well ... Spiderman.

I will watch the 2D version eventually, to see if it improves somehow the experience,
but not before 'The Raid 2'.
{There is also 'The Raid 3' coming up eventually, and 'The Amazing Spider Man 3'}
post #59 of 68 Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Thought it sucked !!
post #60 of 68 Old 09-03-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4438 Post(s)
Liked: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
Thought it sucked !!
I like people who aren't shy to say the truth.
randyc1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page